• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeSP Multi-Purpose FAQ (Last updated: 29 Sep 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
This mainly deals with the many commonly raised queries about this manga. These are just ones off the top of my head, some containing spoilers, so please add anything you find relevant (notice I only have information mainly for Japan, the US and Singapore):

Q&A:

1) What is PokeSpecial?
Also known as Pokemon Adventures in the US, this manga was started by Hidenori Kusaka and Mato. Hidenori Kusaka creates the plotline while Mato does the illustration. During the GSC arc, Mato fell ill with a condition that affected her hand function, forcing her to quit. Her job was taken over by Yamamoto Satoshi, who has been doing illustrations for the manga since then. Yamamoto Satoshi is officially credited as the artist in Volume 10, where the Crystal saga began.

2) How is PokeSpecial released in Japan?
In the past, PokeSpecial was serialized in several Grade magazines, but with their cancellation, the series currently runs on one magazine: Corocoro Ichiban, released monthly in Japan, which features the XY series. Notice that the issue name does not coincide with the month. For instance, the issue released for May is called the June edition. Pokemon Fan, a Pokemon-centered irregular release, used to carry non-main plot related chapters of the arc, but has stopped featuring PokeSpecial since Vol 40. Since January 2015, ORAS is being released monthly on Club Sunday for free, which is a Japanese online manga site. It is the first online serialization of the series, and the first chapter as well as the latest 2 chapters of the series are accessible each month (those in between get removed with each update). A new chapter is released on the first Tuesday of each month (usually). Since mid-July, Club Sunday merged with its sisters sites and became the Sunday Webry to continue the serialization of ORAS, which ended in September 2016. Starting from October 2016, Sunday Webry will serialize the once put-side B2W2 arc on a weekly basis, starting with existing chapters in volume 52.

Traditionally, the Pokemon magazine chapters gets compiled into volume-form once a certain number of chapters have accumulated. However, the B2W2 chapter, which precedes XY and ORAS, have yet to complete, and thus is holding up this release (this arc has completed its magazine run and will get direct new releases in the compiled volume form). As a result, both the XY and ORAS series are being released preliminary as separate lines, which simply put together available chapters, making minimal alterations (the XY chapters released on Pokemon Fan were not including in this preliminary release). They are expected to go into the traditional volumes once B2W2 is completed, and extra materials are expected to be added as in previous arcs. According to the writers, this new publication method allows early compilation of the XY arc into volume format, and also serves to lessen new readers' burden to go through dozens of old material.

PokeSpecial is not currently being serialized in any English-based magazines, but the series is being translated by VIZ in English, and by Kurokawa in French. Singapore's Chuang Yi also translated the series in English before the company closed down.

3) When and how is the Netkun site updated?
The official Netkun site is updated once each month, usually at the beginning of each month, updating the news, latest plot teasers as well as authors' corner. Occasionally, there will also be updates to the Move-Dex and Poke-Dex on the site. The gallery of the site has also not received any updates for years.

4) How many volume issues are there so far?
In Japan, 52 volumes have been released. Vol. 53, which will continue B2W2 with all new materials (since all magazine materials have been compiled for this series), has not had a release date announced yet. Viz translated the RGB, Yellow, GSC, RS, FRLG and Emerald series from Vol 1 to 29 under the title Pokemon Adventures, sticking close to the Japanese format in most part except in Vol 14 and 15, where they moved the GSC portion in Vol 15 into 14. From Vol 30 to 40, which feature the DP and Platinum arcs, Viz released them as a separate series named Pokemon Adventures Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Viz also released Vol 41 and 42 as a separate series for HGSS, and moved the HGSS contents of Vol 43 into Vol 42. The same has happened to the BW series, where Vol 43 to 50 were released as a separate series, with Vol 43 omitting the contents of HGSS. Vol 52, which features B2W2 content, is the only Japanese volume currently not available in English format. In French, only the BW arc was released, having full volume thickness but only compiled the magazine chapters directly, thus having different covers and listings from the Japanese volume release.

When Viz first started translating the series years ago, they occasionally broke up each volume into several smaller comics and released them separately. While you can read about the Japanese volume listings on the site, the following is the listing of Viz's titles of the 7 volumes they translated, and the individual release titles under each volume:

Volume 1: Desperado Pikachu
i) Mysterious Mew
ii) Wanted: Pikachu!
iii) Starmie Surprise
iv) The Snorlax Stop
v) Gastly Ghosts

Volume 2: Legendary Pokemon
i) The Rocket Returns
ii) The Hunt For Eevee
iii) The Nidoking Safari
iv) Mission: Magmar!
v) The Dangerous Dragonite Ice Climbers
vi) The Mythical Moltres

Volume 3: The Saffron City Seige
i) The Impassible Mr. Mime
ii) The Articuno Ambush
ii) The Saffron Showdown
iv) Master Mewtwo
v) Return To Viridian Gym
vi) The Pikachu Maneuver
vii) The Final Challenge!

Volume 4: Trainer In Yellow
i) Pikachu's New Partner
ii) The Ice Cage
iii) The Gym Leaders' Alliance
iv) Blue Returns

Volume 5: Making Waves
i) To Catch A Caterpie
ii) The S.S. Anne Adventure
iii) Evolution Action
iv) Dratini Of The Deep
v) The Seafoam Encounter

Volume 6: Cave Campaign
i) Challenge Accepted
ii) Agatha's Arbok
iii) Best Enemies
iv) Shadowboxing Gengar

Volume 7: Pokemon Elite
i) Mewtwo Meets Its Match
ii) Yellow Beginnings
iii) Bruno's Battle
iv) Lance's Charge
v) Primary Colours

Thanks to http://animemania01.tripod.com/mangaj_r.htm for the above listings.

5) I don't understand how the story progresses in the different magazines?
The storylines in two magazine tend to go out of chronological order during their monthly release. As Corocoro Ichiban is a monthly magazine, its serializes the main plot. Pokemon Fan usually feature chapters which chronological order is unclear, but usually happens some time further down the timeline compared with the Ichiban chapters. It is worth noting that the Fan chapters may be out of chronological order themselves, which means a chapter released on a later Fan issue may actually preceded that of the previous issue. A good example is that of issues 31 and 32, which feature the Cold Storage chapter and the Battle Subway chapter which White encounter Shauntal. The two chapters were reversed in chronological order when compiled into volume format.

6) I don't get the deal with Blue and Green, who's who?
In the Japanese version, Green is Prof. Oak's grandson and the rival of Red, and Blue is the girl who has many tricks up her sleeve. In the US version, the name Blue is given to the rival and the girl is named Green instead. The reason for this is in Japan, Red and Green are the original games released, and thus the hero and the rival are named accordingly. But in US, Red and Blue are the original games released, so the rival was given the name Blue instead of Green. This holds true in VIZ's republication of the series.

7) How did the writers come up with the idea of Blue and Yellow? And what is the real deal with Emerald and Wally?
In the guidebook of the GB game Red and Green, a picture shows the hero, rival, and a girl with long brown hair and dark dress with the three starter pokemons. Blue was based on the girl.
Yellow was a completely fictional character made from scratch. The writers once said they decided to give Yellow a western (I think they mean mexican, cowboy) feel and thus gave him the hat and Doduo to ride on.
At one point during the RS series, Wally was planned to represent the Emerald game as the third Pokedex Holder. He was named Hoenn's third Dex Holder in the magazine chapters, and even registered himself on the third Dex. However, the writers eventually decided to design an original character, Emerald, who replaced Wally as the true representation of the Emerald game. Aspects of Wally's Dex Holder status were altered when the chapter went into volume format.

8) How did the writers come up with the team lineups for the characters?
Early in the series, as said by the writers themselves, they consider a few things. First, HM moves. It would be ideal for each Pokemon to take care of one HM and thus you can see Red's Pokemon fulfill this criteria (Cut - Saur, Fly - Aero, Surf - Gyara, Strength - Lax, Flash - Pika, bear in mind HM 6-8 did not exist back then). Even if not all HMs could be included, each trainer should at least have means to surf and fly. Second, colour balance. Red for instance again, he himself is red, Poli is blue, Saur is green, and Pika is yellow. However, the colour rule was not really observed in Blue's team of excessive pink, and Crystal didn't really have a surfer on her team. From the Hoenn Dex Holders onwards, the aforementioned two rules were even less true, and the choice of Pokemon appeared to be character oriented. For example, Dia's Pokemon were slow and bulky, while those of Pearl were fast and agile, matching their trainers' traits. Certain Pokemon choices were based on polls and popularity. A good example is Y's Sylveon, which the writers planned to give a Dex Holder since its introduction.

==================================================

The following is about a few alterations or changes I made which do not entirely follow the original versions, namely nicknames and certain names of places or characters.

Note: With the introduction of the MangaDex on the site, the Pokemon nicknames and human names have been changed (as far as possible) to be in line with those of Viz.

Nicknames:

I do not follow the original Japanese nicknames or the ones used in the official english translation. Here is how I came up with the nicknames:

Red: All his Pokemon are named by truncating part of their original names, e.g. Fushigidane = Fusshi, Pikachu = Pika. I do basically the same to their english names and use parts that would reflect the pokemon in all its evolutions, e.g. I chose Saur for the whole bulbasaur line instead of naming it Bulba. Incidentally, Chuang Yi nicknames Red's Pokemon the same way starting in the FRLG series. VIZ also used these names similarly, except Snorlax who was named Snor.

Green: No nicknames in the original, so none in my translations either.

Blue: Blue's Pokemon names have a 'cutesy' quality to them. Except Jigglypuff & Clefable & Snubbull, all are followed by '-chan' which is an expression used in the language to denote someone close or dear to you. I figured adding '-y' to english names have a similar though not entirely identical effect, so I chose names like 'Nidory' and 'Ditty'. For Clefable, it's named 'Piku-kun', where '-kun' is used to address boys. The name 'Cleffo' hit me as being quite masculine, so I simply chose it. Jigglypuff is named 'Puriri', and I got lazy and simply name it 'Jiggly' to cut out the hassel, although it technically wouldn't be so appropriate now that it has evolved into a Wigglytuff. Snubbull's nickname is the same as the Japanese name of Snubbull, Buruu, which has the same katakana writing as Blue's name (which is also Buruu), and the writers are fond of calling it Buruu's Buruu. For a long time I didn't give Snubbull a nickname, but now that it has evolved into a Granbull and Blue continues to call it Buruu in the Japanese version, it will be weird to nickname a Granbull Snubbull, so I changed it to Blu, keeping a phonetic and spelling resemblance to Blue's name. Incidentally, Chuang Yi nicknames a few of Blue's Pokemon the same way starting in the FRLG series, which were mirrored by VIZ.

Yellow: All her Pokemon have the term '-suke' following, which vaguely means 'the one who's..', like 'Chibisuke' means the short one (not in the sense of identifying who or which person, but rather in the sense of a name). I couldn't find anything suiting in the english language, so I simply mimicked the word 'suke' and added '-sk' to all Yellow's pokemon names. Raticate is named Rat-chan which follow's Blue's way of naming, so I called it Ratty instead of Ratask or something. For Butterfree, I initially used the name 'Freesk', but later changed to 'Peesk' since it mimicked the original Japanese sound 'Piisuke' better. Chuchu's original name is kept.

Gold: All his Pokemon have the term '-tarou' following, which is a name usually given to the eldest child in a family in Japan. Again, I mimicked 'tarou' and added '-taro' to his nicknames. Previously, I simply opted for the '-ro' sound and attached it to the end of their species names, but rethought about it, and decided to use '-taro' instead. For Pichu, it is a bit tricky because for the phrase 'chu', the Japanese phonetics is actually 'chu-u'. Pichu's nickname in the Japanese version has the final 'u' cut out, but it wouldn't have made a difference in English, so I simply cut the 'u' and made it 'Pich'. VIZ used the suffix -o to nickname Gold's Pokemon.

Silver: Like Green, no nickname in the original version.

Crystal: All her Pokemon have the term '-pyon' following, which is a sound made when one jumps. Crystal's mom is a very 'jumpy' and energetic person and she has somehow taught Crystal to name all her pokemons followed by this term. I mimicked 'pyon' and simply used '-peon' to name Crystal's pokemons. Previously, I opted for the '-on' suffix only, but rethought about it, and decided '-peon' will be more suitable. Both Chuang Yi and VIZ adopted the suffix 'ee' to Crystal's Pokemon nicknames.

Ruby: I basically kept all the original nicknames coz they're in english anyway, though some of the phonetics do not really appear in the English names. VIZ corrected this by using syllables from the English names instead.

Sapphire: With the exception of Blaziken, all of Sapphire's Pokemon have a repeating phrase or sound in their nicknames that play on their original names, like 'Dorara', 'Eruru', 'Tororo'. While I keep and only slightly altered some, (I kept Tororo, and simply made Eruru Wailulu, and Phadondon, Phadodo) I changed that of Lairon to 'Ronono' coz 'Dorara' doesn't seem to appear in neither Aron, Lairon or Aggron. Same reason for change of Jirara to Relili. Blaziken is called Chamo, which means fowl. Unlike the japanese names, where Achamo, Wakashamo and Bashamo all have this term, there's no real term that links Torchic, Combusken and Blaziken except the word chicken. So I played around with the word a little and made it 'Chaka' to reflect this and stay as close to 'Chamo' as possible. Chuang Yi added '-o' as a suffix to her Pokemon's names, while VIZ didn't really follow any fixed format.

Emerald: Emerald doesn't seem to name his Pokemon either, so no nicknames.

Diamond: Diamond nicknames his Pokemon by extending one syllable of their original names. I kept them the way they are due to a previous suspicious that the phonetics would make up the word P. Berlitz (Platinum). This was later proven false with the introduction of Moo (Mamoswine) and Ghee (Regigigas). Chuang Yi picked a single syllable from their species names, while VIZ did something similar with some twists.

Pearl: Pearl adds the suffix '-hiko' to all his Pokemon names, which is used in Japanese to refer to a noble person born under the royal blood, more or less resembling the 'Sir' or 'Lord' titles given to people coming from prestigious families in english. Thus, I picked '-lord' and added it to his Pokemon names. Chuang Yi simply used '-hiko' directly, and VIZ changed them to '-ler'.

Platinum: Platinum is the person of the trio in the latest series who doesn't nickname Pokemon.

Black: Black uses the same naming style as Red, truncating his Pokemon's species names to get their nicknames. I mirrored the names used by VIZ.

White: White uses actual English names for most of her Pokemon. While they have special meanings tying to the Pokemon's various aspects in Japanese, the meaning is usually lost in English. The exception to this is Yunibo, which is not really an English name. For this I used a slightly altered phonetic spelling Unibo. VIZ kept most of the namings except Jessica and Yunibo. Her Tepig, Bubu-chan, was named Gigi by VIZ, which I mirrored.

Lack-two: Doesn't nickname his Pokemon

Whi-two: Doesn't nickname her Pokemon

List of Japanese (official) / English (fan-made by me) nicknames:

Red
Fusshi = Saur
Nyoro = Poli
Pika = Pika
Gyara = Gyara
Gon = Lax
Pute = Aero
Vui = Vee

Blue
Kame-chan = Turtley
Puriri = Jiggly
Piku-kun = Cleffo
Meta-chan = Ditty
Nido-chan = Nidory
Tat-chan = Horsey
Buruu = Blu

Yellow
Chuchu = Chuchu
Rat-chan = Ratty
Dodosuke = Dodosk
Omusuke = Omask
Gorosuke = Golosk
Piisuke = Peesk

Gold
Baku-tarou = Explotaro
Ee-tarou = Aitaro
Nyoro-tarou = Politaro
Uu-tarou = Sutaro
Man-tarou = Mantaro
Kima-tarou = Suntaro
Toge-tarou = Togetaro
Pichu = Pich

Crystal
Mega-pyon = Megapeon
Muu-pyon = Smoopeon
Ebi-pyon = Chanpeon
Para-pyon = Parapeon
Uin-pyon = Arcapeon
Nei-pyon = Tupeon
Kara-pyon = Cupeon
Bari-pyon = Mimpeon

Sapphire
Chamo = Chaka
Dorara = Ronono
Eruru = Wailulu
Phadondon = Phadodo
Tororo = Tororo
Jirara = Relili

Diamond (simply a change of spelling for easier pronunciation)
Ru- = Roo
Be- = Beh
Pu- = Pooh
Ri- = Lee
Mu- = Moo
Gi- = Ghee

Pearl
Saruhiko = Chimlord
Perahiko = Chatlord
Torahiko = Raylord
Zeruhiko = Zellord
Tarohiko = Taulord
Diguhiko = Diglord

Black
War = Brav
Poka/Chao/Buoh = Tep/Nite/Bo
Musha = Musha
Tula = Tula
Goura = Costa

Supporting/Recurring Character Names:

As you may notice in the recurring character bios page, all characters have names, but the truth is not all of them do in the original Japanese version. From the BW arc onwards, I tend to simply use their Japanese names directly.

1) Bozz - he was somehow given two names in the original version. He was named 'Boozu' during the yellow saga, but perhaps the creators forgot or something, they referred to him as 'Junji' once in the Johto saga. I basically kept the name Bozz

2) William - he was named Akihito in the original version, and I did some searching on the pokemon game and found out one character in GSC is actually called Akihito (not a supernerd there, though). I checked the official english name of Akihito and it's William, so I gave it William

3) Oceano - Oceano was never named in the original version but they just call him swimmer boy. Some hunch came along and I simply called him something related to swimming

4) Wilton - Wilton actually is in the GSC games. I think he's in Mahogany and he's the one who phones you about the appearance of Remoraids in the region. Though Wilton's name never officially appeared in the manga, the writers once wrote in the 'Q&A' section of Netkun that the 'fisherman who acquanted with Yellow is the same one who calls you about sightings of Remoraids'.

5) Joey (Chuang Yi: Grant) - Joey actually appears in the GSC games as well. He's Japanese name is 'Gorou' and he's the first trainer fighting you on the way to Violet City, and he owns a Rattatta in the game as well!

6) Kylee - You can fight Kylee in Winona's gym. Like Joey, Kylee is a character taken out from the actual gameplay.

7) Jack - In a similar fashion to Wilton, Jack is in the R/S games though his name has never been officially mentioned so far in the manga. In the Q&A section on Netkun, the writers have written that 'the swimmer boy who witnessed the fight between Ruby and Norman can be fought on sea route 133. Like in the games, he owns a Staryu and a Gyarados'. And that's why you also see an Gyarados in the bio of Jack which hasn't made an appearance in the actual volumes yet. (It will soon, however, coz I've seen it in the September issue of the Grade 5 Netkun magazine)

8) Mazie - this granddaughter of Kurt doesn't even have a name in the original games but is given one in the anime. A while ago, someone posted a question on the Netkun website asking her name, and the writers replied 'Chie-chan', which after some look up, is actually the same name used in the anime. As the english name of her in the anime is Mazie, I just kept it the same in the manga.

9) Brinca - this peculiar old woman on Two Island in the FRLG arc is named Kiwame in the original Japanese version. The name Kiwame plays on the fact that she comes from Kiwa-no-misaki, translated as Cape Brink in the english games. So the Kiwa part means Brink, and after looking up in the dictionary, Wame possibly comes from Wameku, a verb meaning to call. From Brink and Call, I came up with the custom name Brinca. On revision, Kiwame itself actually means 'ultimate', and a more appropriate name for her should be 'Ultima', but since the name Brinca has been used all along, I did not intend to make shifts to this name. In the Chuang Yi version, she is named Kimberly, most likely chosen for phonetic resemblence to Kiwame.

10) Prof. Weircove Berlitz - this young lady who is the scientist that researched on the Green Orb to control Rayquaza is named Yanase in the original Japanese version. Yanase is a common surname in Japan, where Yana means weir or fish trap, and Se means the shallow waters of a cove. As such, I have named her Prof. Weircove. Later, it was revealed that Yanase was her first name instead, but I still kept the same word.

11) Phool & Ignor - Platinum's bodyguards are named Paka and Uji in Japanese, which are corruption of Baka (stupid) and Muji (ignorant). I adopted their names from fool and ignore with a twist.

12) Secretta - Drayden's secretary is named Hisoka, which meas secret.

Team Aqua / Team Magma:

If you've played the RS games, you will know that TA and TM each has two executives only (TM - Courtney & Tabitha, TA - Shelly & Matt). In the manga, an extra male executive is added to each team to make trios. For TM, an original character called Hokage is introduced, and for TA, another original character called Shizuku is created.

First, I'll explain my choice of English names of TA. The trio has the name SSS (ThreeS), which comes from the fact that Shelly (Japanese: Izumi, Chuang Yi: Angie), Matt (Japanese: Ushio, Chuang Yi: Ark) and Shizuku (Chuang Yi: Amber) all have the su or zu syllable in their names. Naturally I'd need to pick a name with S for Shizuku. If you've been following the summaries that I write for the site, you'll notice that Scott is the first name I picked for this character, but since Enishida's official english name turns out to be Scott, I have to change it to avoid confusion. Not left with too much choices of male names that start with an S, I simply threw in Sean, hoping that no future major characters will bear this name. VIZ also adopted the name Amber.

Now the problem is Matt. It is his official english name yet there isn't any S in his name. So I deliberately call him Matts just to fit the SSS theme.

For TM, the trio is known as the FireHeads, which doesn't affect the way I name characters much. Tabitha (Japanese: Homura, Chuang Yi: Mitch) and Courtney (Japanese: Kakari, Chuang Yi: Marge) are taken directly from the games. For Hank (Chuang Yi: Mack), the phonetics of Hank seems to resemble Hokage quite a lot, and again due to it being a way too common name to be used in the future, I picked Hank for Hokage. VIZ named him Blaise, and the trio is named the Three Fires.

Team Rocket:

1) Neo Team Rocket - This is a name I give to the TR resurrected under the Mask Of Ice in Johto during the GSC saga. They are known as simply TR as well in the manga. I just thought calling them neo would differentiate them from the time they're directly under Giovanni.

2) The Beast Warrior Trio - Now in the FRLG arc, the Giovanni-led TR makes a come back with three new admins which are known as 'San-jyuu-shi', literally translated as 'The Three Beast Soldiers'. While I initially intended to simply call them the 'Beast Trio', it might confuse readers with the legendary Entei, Raikou, Suicune beast trio, so I added the warrior part to the name. VIZ named them 'The Three Beasts'.

For their separate names, Jagura (Japanese: Chakura), Oca (Japanese: Ouka) and Storc (Japanese: Saque) are the custom names I gave them. It took me a while to figure out a meaning behind their original names, and while I still might be wrong, I realized that their names are all playing on actual animal names. These names might be subjected to change if future storylines actually give better explanations of their name-origins.

For Chakra, I feel that it is adapted from jaguar, and possibly making a reference to chuckle as well, since that is what he always does, so I used Jaguar, and twisted it a little like in the Japanese to make it Jagura. In the Chuang Yi version, he is named Carr, most likely chosen for starting with the same letter as the Japanese name. VIZ adopted the same name.

For Ouka, the first impression was the term ogre, but afterwards I thought it might have a slight reference to the killer whale orca as well. Oca is from orca, with a slight twist to sound closer to the original name again. In the Chuang Yi version, he is named Orm, most likely chosen for starting with the same letter as the Japanese name. VIZ adopted the same name.

Finally, for Saque(may also be romanized as Saki), the only thing I found was the fact that the long-neck birds like cranes, storks, or something like that are named Sagi in Japanese. Stork seems to resemble the phonetics of Saque a little more, so again, a little twist to the word yield Storc. I admit that her features make her look feline though. In the Chuang Yi version, she is named Sird, most likely chosen for starting with the same letter as the Japanese name, and perhaps coming from bird as well. VIZ adopted the same name.

Coronis~

Last edited:

Coronis

In lucid awakening
About Picture Scans of the Manga

Quite a few members have requested that we include a manga chapter picture area like in the anime section of the site. However, I regret to inform you all that it is not something we plan to do.

The major selling point of the manga is very different from that of the anime. Apart from the plot itself, the arts and pictures are what readers buy the manga for. And while the anime is broadcasted on TV for free-viewing (well, of course you have to pay for the channel and electricity bill but that's not my point), the authors of the manga depend on the continuous sales of the manga to make a living. Therefore, if we put up pictures alongside the summaries for the manga, we will undermine the whole selling point of the manga and this may attract negative legal attention to SPP.

Indeed, fans in regions that do not translate and sell the manga anymore do not have any proper means to obtain the comic series, but seeing how SPP is not a region-based site, legal actions will still weigh down on us. The summaries themselves are sometimes considered risky enough in terms of legal stuff, therefore Serebii and I have decided to avoid having too much screens (we limit them down to one per chapter) from the manga.

We might consider putting up some scans in the character biographies some day to further elaborate their personalities, but as far as I can see, there won't be chapter pictures like those in the anime.

Coronis~

Last edited:

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Netkun Navigation Guide

It has occurred to me that some of you might be having trouble finding your way on the Japanese based official PokeSpecial manga website (http://corocoro.tv/pokesp/), so this sticky is created to assist your navigation. Overall the years, the site has undergone significant changes. Previously, chapter summaries of a previous months were archived in pages dedicated to each separate arc. Since May 2009, this feature has been removed and replaced by teasers of the most recent chapters that are being on sale. The arc-dedicated pages are no longer accessible.

The home screen of the site displays the most recent arcs being serialized in the magazines, as well as those that have yet to complete their compilation into volume form. On the arc being serialized, there are links to the magazines under its title on the home screen. As of Sep 2016, only the XY and ORAS series have this feature, having links to Coroco Ichiban and the online manga site Sunday Webry where the are serialized.

8 buttons are present in the site's navigation bar at the bottom. The first button on the first row's left hand side is the 'Current Month's News' section. It shows the latest updates on the site, as well as news on upcoming releases or events. The second button is the 'Latest Chapter Teasers', showing teasers of the most recent chapters of the on-going arcs being serialized. It also includes a snippet section for the B2W2 series, which has not been updated as of late. The third button leads to the 'Writer's Commentaries', updated monthly from both Hidenori and Yamamoto, as well as the editor of the site. The fourth button leads to the 'Contribution Square', which holds the Q&A & readers feedback section. Previous Q&As and feedback can be accessed via the links at the bottom of this page.

On the second row, the first button leads to the 'PokeSpecial Art Museum', which features official artwork of the series. It has not been updated beyond the Emerald series, and picture 57 is currently the last artwork it features. The second button leads to the 'Comics All Guide'. Within it are three separate sections: the red bar takes you to a page which shows how each series relates to the handheld games so far; the yellow bar to a brief summary of each series and their featured volumes; and then the green bar which takes you to the character biographies of all the main characters (i.e. the Pokedex Holders) throughout each series, listed according to the arcs' chronological order. The third button leads you to the 'PokeSpecial Database', which contain the site's Move-Dex and Attack-Dex, updated monthly. This section has been under maintenance since mid-2016. The fourth button simply takes you back to the front page.

The Pika and Chuchu icons on each section takes you back to the front page as well.

Coronis~

Last edited:

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Where To Buy Pokemon Manga

Methods to purchase the manga is a frequently asked question on these forums. The following lists the known methods, with the ones listed higher tested by most members and deemed more reliable.

=================================================

English Versions

VIZ:
Viz is currently re-releasing PokeSpecial as Pokemon Adventures in the US, and most bookshops including Barnes & Nobles should carry them. Alternately, you can order them online via Amazon.

Here is a list of all VIZ 2nd edition Pokémon Adventures volumes available on Amazon.

Chuang Yi & Shogakukan Asia:
During the years that Viz has stopped translating PokeSpecial, a company in Singapore called Chuang Yi has continued the effort. It has also translated several other Pokemon manga series. Unfortunately, in early 2014, the company has officially gone out of business, and further production was stopped. It was later picked up by Shogakukan Asia where Chuang Yi left off. The following are currently ways to get their released materials as supplied by forum member Manga Reader X, although supply may cease with time.

Purchase via eBay sellers:
fwcollect
daigames

Purchase via Kinokuniya:
Info about international delivery: https://singapore.kinokuniya.com/help (Dispatch & Delivery > Delivery Options & Rates > International Delivery)
Extensive contact info: http://www.kinokuniya.com.sg/corp_contact.html
Kinokuniya is an international bookstore chain. Carries Chuang Yi version in stores only, uncertain about online supply.

Information about Singaporean postage:
Shipping:
A lot of the sellers use SingaporePost's Air Mail (not Kinokuniya though). Assuming that a Chuang Yi Pokémon manga weighs about 200 grams, and that the seller uses SingaporePost's Air Mail, the price for shipping one volume to the US would be $7.40 via Air Mail and the delivery should take 6-8 working days. (If you ask for it, a seller is willing to offer it as a shipping method and you are willing to wait for 6-10 weeks you can get it shipped for $2 via Surface Mail though).
You can calculate postage here: http://www.singpost.com/

Others:
In the Philippines, according to Avegaille, the following stores are known to carry the Chuang Yi versions of PokeSpecial as well as other Pokemon Manga:
A) Powerbooks (SM Megamall, Shangri-la Plaza, other branches in Metro Manila)
B) Comic Odyssey (Robinsons Galleria, Robinsons Ermita/Manila)
C) National Bookstore (all branches in Metro Manila)
D) Fully Booked (all branches in Metro Manila)

In Kuala Lumpar, Chinese translations can be found in a store called Comix Paradise near Sunway Pyramid.

=================================================

Japanese Versions

Generally, you can find any Pokemon manga in the following websites, but these are all a bit tricky because to place international orders, you sometimes must fax them your order, and on top of all, if you don't know Japanese, it'll be hard to communicate with the dealers (but then again I assume you'd be proficient in Japanese to want to own these books)

1. Local Kinokuniya websites (The cheapest way if you live in a country that has a local Kinokuniya website / store(s).)
  2. CDJapan (Generally the cheapest way for international import.)
  3. YesAsia.com:
You can use Bulbapedia's Pokémon manga article to find out the Japanese names / ISBN numbers needed for searching on Kinokuniya and Amazon.

CoroCoro Comic (This is NOT the magazine that serializes Pokémon Special, CoroCoro Ichiban! is!):

CoroCoro Comic subscription / the newest CoroCoro Comic issue from JBOX (international shipping)
CoroCoro Comic subscription from Japan Centre (Based in the UK, international shipping)
Neo Tokyo sells Japanese magazines in general and possibly also CoroCoro Comic, maybe even CoroCoro Ichiban!. You can ask them via this contact form. (Based in Germany, international shipping.)
Recent CoroCoro Ichiban! issues from YESASIA: International customers | North American customers

Physical stores selling Pokémon manga in the US, Europe and Southeast Asia

Kinokuniya
Info about international delivery (Dispatch & Delivery > Delivery Options & Rates > International Delivery)
Contact form
Kinokuniya's e-mail address is also available here at the bottom of the page under "How to Contact Customer Service".
Kinokuniya is an international bookstore chain that carries both Shogakukan Asia and Chuang Yi editions of Pokémon Adventures as well as the Shogakukan Asia editions of other Pokémon manga in their stores and on their website.

JP Books' London store
Adanami Shobo (London only)
Japan Centre (London only) - Not confirmed if they carry Pokémon Special

Coronis~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.