• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokestop Egg Drop Data (community contribution!)

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
Hello all! Since I haven't seen any concrete numbers or other attempts at this, I figured I'd try and figure out the egg drop statistics from pokestops, with community contribution! My aim: to calculate a fairly accurate estimate of A) the percent chance of getting an egg drop from a pokestop and B) the percent chance of getting a certain egg distance tier. In simpler terms, an X% chance to get an egg at a pokestop, and an A% B% C% chance that the egg is 2 km, 5 km, or 10 km, respectively.

How will I go about this, you ask? Simple! Every time I visit a pokestop, I will record whether or not I get an egg, and if I get an egg, what kind of distance tier it is. However, in order to get reasonably accurate numbers, I cannot do this alone! That's where you guys come in!

I've created a spreadsheet to record this data, however because only I can edit it, I have a few rules and guidelines for contributing:

I. How to participate

Participation is really simple! Starting after you've read this post, each time you visit a pokestop, record whether or not you got an egg, and if so, what distance tier egg it was. Then, report it to me in a reply to this thread!

However, please do not cherry-pick! Do not only record instances where you got an egg or vice-versa. In order to try to avoid this, when reporting data, please make sure you've reported at least three consecutive instances. I cannot stress the "consecutive" enough! If you forget to record a pokestop, consider the next one a restart of your list. It's okay to report multiple batches, though! (As long as they meet the "at least three data sets" requirement)

Also, in your first report, I would appreciate it if you'd also list the number of certain distance tier eggs you've received (ie; four 5 km, two 2 km, one 10 km), not including the eggs you got when you were recording pokestop data. This will be very helpful in pinpointing the frequency of each type of egg drop and is a great way for people to quickly contribute, even if they don't want to record.

Edit: I'd like to add that you don't need to specify if a pokestop visited is a repeat or not. Pokestops refresh after about every five minutes, and it's perfectly okay for multiple (or all) of your reported data to be from the same pokestop!

Finally, if you're unsure of a certain data point, do not guess!!!!! Simply report that specific field as "I don't remember" or "I don't know", etc. No data is better than faulty data!

There's no formal report format I'd like you to use, but if you need an example you can use the one below:

Stop #: No egg / Egg, [distance] km

ie:

Stop 1: No egg
Stop 2: Egg, 5 km
Stop 3: No egg

Stop 1: Egg, 10 km
Stop 2: Egg, I don't remember
Stop 4: No egg, max eggs

And for the egg data:

Eggs: [#] [distance] km

ie:

Eggs: [10] 5 km, [3] 2 km, [2] 10 km

II. Navigating the spreadsheet

There are two pages on the spreadsheet, Pokestop recording and Egg statistics. I'll talk about the Pokestop recording page first.

A. Pokestop recording

There are three columns on the Pokestop recording page, Egg drop?, Distance, and Max eggs.

Egg drop? column reports whether or not the pokestop you visited gave you an egg. Y if you got an egg, N if you didn't.

If you received an egg, the Distance column reports what distance is required for you to travel in order to hatch the egg. In order to view this, go to the menu (pokeball on the bottom-center of the screen), click on "Pokemon", and go to the "EGGS" tab. The distance requirement will be listed as either 2.0 km, 5.0 km, or 10.0 km. On the spreadsheet, I use 2, 5, or 10 to indicate this distance requirement.

Finally, the Max eggs? column indicates if you had max (9/9) eggs when you visited the pokestop. If not, it's left blank.

B. Egg statistics

This page exists to collect data specifically on the frequency of certain distance tier drops. If you don't want to take part in recording down each time you visit a pokestop, you can still drop your egg data in here! Even if you only do it once, it will be a great contribution!

With that out of the way, here is a link to the spreadsheet

Once I have a sizable amount of data points, I will use a statistics software to periodically calculate the rough statistics for egg drops and post them here. Please stay tuned!

Additionally, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I know I'm not the best writer, so if you need clarification or just have a general question I'm happy to answer! My only request is that you stay on the topic of this thread, please!!! There's already a discussion thread if you'd like to chat about other aspects of Pokemon Go.

Thank you so much for reading and a huge thanks in advance for anyone who participates!!!

Last edited:

Caleb_W

Here is all of my PokeStop data. The journal, unfortunately, doesn't keep track of eggs, but it does keep track of dates.

7/7/16 Stop 1: No egg
7/8/16 Stop 2: No egg
7/8/16 Stop 3: No egg
7/8/16 Stop 4: Egg, 5 km
7/9/16 Stop 5: Egg, 5 km

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
Here is all of my PokeStop data. The journal, unfortunately, doesn't keep track of eggs, but it does keep track of dates.

7/7/16 Stop 1: No egg
7/8/16 Stop 2: No egg
7/8/16 Stop 3: No egg
7/8/16 Stop 4: Egg, 5 km
7/9/16 Stop 5: Egg, 5 km

Thank you so much! Added!

And yeah, sadly the journal doesn't track eggs :') It would certainly save everyone a lot of hassle if it did aha

pokemonjeff

interested trader
I've been out and about a bit with my girlfriend and her having pokemon go. We've managed 6 pokestops

7/8/16 stop 1: no egg
7/9/16 stop 2: no egg
7/9/16 stop 3: no egg
7/9/16 stop 4: no egg
7/9/16 stop 5: no egg (same as stop #2, it seems as though it only takes 15-20 minutes to reset at most? It was hardly any time at all)
7/9/16 stop 5: Egg, 5km (same as stop #3)

Caleb_W

I should note that stop 2 and 3 were the same on mine. It took exactly five minutes to become available again.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
I've been out and about a bit with my girlfriend and her having pokemon go. We've managed 6 pokestops

7/8/16 stop 1: no egg
7/9/16 stop 2: no egg
7/9/16 stop 3: no egg
7/9/16 stop 4: no egg
7/9/16 stop 5: no egg (same as stop #2, it seems as though it only takes 15-20 minutes to reset at most? It was hardly any time at all)
7/9/16 stop 5: Egg, 5km (same as stop #3)

Added! Thank you so much!!!

I should note that stop 2 and 3 were the same on mine. It took exactly five minutes to become available again.

Yeah, pokestops seem to become available again after about five minutes or so (mine tend to be a little glitchy for 30 seconds after they become blue again), which makes sense considering they only award 50 XP per visit. You don't have to worry about pokestops being repeats in your data report! I highly doubt that specific pokestops have different drop rates, and even if they do it would be a pointless endeavour to try and calculate them all. I'll edit the original post to avoid further confusion, though!

Rakurai

I'm curious as to how much EXP the different eggs award.

I believe the 2.0km egg I hatched recently gave me 586 EXP.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
I'm curious as to how much EXP the different eggs award.

I believe the 2.0km egg I hatched recently gave me 586 EXP.

Egg XP is determined by the distance requirement of the egg*100

So a 2 km egg awards 200 XP, etc! If it's a new pokemon, you get a new dex entry bonus of 500 XP, and if you have a lucky egg active your XP is multiplied by 2.

Auromence

I don't remember which stops gave what, but according to the journal I have visited 15 pokestops and I know that so far I've gotten 2 5km eggs and 2 2km eggs.

pokemonjeff

interested trader

Yeah, pokestops seem to become available again after about five minutes or so (mine tend to be a little glitchy for 30 seconds after they become blue again), which makes sense considering they only award 50 XP per visit. You don't have to worry about pokestops being repeats in your data report! I highly doubt that specific pokestops have different drop rates, and even if they do it would be a pointless endeavour to try and calculate them all. I'll edit the original post to avoid further confusion, though!

We hit 7 more pokestops after midnight, and got not a single egg. We actually got nothing of interest except an egg incubator. We were quite surprised to find 7 stops and no eggs. That seems a lot lower average than everyone else is getting, so either some people are REALLY lucky or we're getting average rates or we're just really unlucky.

Just for quicker reference

7/10/16 stop 7: no egg
7/10/16 stop 8: no egg
7/10/16 stop 9: no egg
7/10/16 stop 10: no egg
7/10/16 stop 11: no egg
7/10/16 stop 12: no egg
7/10/16 stop 13: no egg

lvirden

Couple of thoughts.
Perhaps your trainer level plays into the distance? Also if I have 9 eggs unhatched, no eggs are lost at a pokestop... they just stop appearing until I've hatched at least one

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Hit 3 pokestops yesterday. Got two 5km eggs the first 2 stops, and none at the 3rd stop. I was level 3-4 when I got them.

All pokestops (6) in my town are clustered in the same area, so we'll see how distribution works for me when the weather is nicer and I get a chance to go for a walk there.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
Oh man thank you guys so much!!! This is great so far!!!!

I don't remember which stops gave what, but according to the journal I have visited 15 pokestops and I know that so far I've gotten 2 5km eggs and 2 2km eggs.

Added! And that's alright! The order doesn't really matter, as long as you know the ratio between consecutive pokestop visits and egg drops! I highly doubt that egg drops aren't independent of eachother, so as long as you have the data points, it doesn't matter what order they're in ;)

We hit 7 more pokestops after midnight, and got not a single egg. We actually got nothing of interest except an egg incubator. We were quite surprised to find 7 stops and no eggs. That seems a lot lower average than everyone else is getting, so either some people are REALLY lucky or we're getting average rates or we're just really unlucky.

Just for quicker reference

7/10/16 stop 7: no egg
7/10/16 stop 8: no egg
7/10/16 stop 9: no egg
7/10/16 stop 10: no egg
7/10/16 stop 11: no egg
7/10/16 stop 12: no egg
7/10/16 stop 13: no egg

An egg incubator???? Might I ask what level you are?

And I wouldn't worry too much about not getting eggs for seven stops in a row! Drops are more than likely independent of eachother, so it's a X% chance per pokestop that you get an egg, and it seems very likely that X% is lower than 50%. Think of it like trying to use a move with a 30% hit rate.

With that said, added! Thank you so much!

Hit 3 pokestops yesterday. Got two 5km eggs the first 2 stops, and none at the 3rd stop. I was level 3-4 when I got them.

All pokestops (6) in my town are clustered in the same area, so we'll see how distribution works for me when the weather is nicer and I get a chance to go for a walk there.

Added! Thank you so much!!!!

Couple of thoughts.
Perhaps your trainer level plays into the distance?

I highly doubt it. While this is merely anecdotal, I got all of my 10 km eggs when I was a low level (<4), and at level 15 most of my eggs have been 5 km. I think the drops are likely a fixed percent, especially considering how consistent everyone’s drops have been so far.

Also if I have 9 eggs unhatched, no eggs are lost at a pokestop... they just stop appearing until I've hatched at least one

Ah! Thank you!! I was actually wondering about whether or not you’d simply stop receiving eggs if you had max capacity, or if you could choose to throw one away. I’ll probably edit the guidelines to account for this if someone can corroborate this experience.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess

Ended up going in to the city today, and hit 4 pokestops. Received no eggs this time around.

Theo-92

Hit multiple spots after reading this. Was at 7/9 eggs when I went out.

Got one egg at the first stop, one at the thrid stop and one at the next after I had a free space, not sure on the number. All were 5 Km.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
Hit multiple spots after reading this. Was at 7/9 eggs when I went out.

Got one egg at the first stop, one at the thrid stop and one at the next after I had a free space, not sure on the number. All were 5 Km.

Also, pokemonjeff, do you mind telling me your team affiliation? I'm curious if there actually are hidden benefits to joining a team, and that one of them might possibly be a higher egg drop rate for team Instinct (conversely explaining why you seem to have "worse luck" when compared to others)

Auromence

Terrible luck today.

Stop 2: No egg
Stop 4: No egg
Stop 5: No egg
Stop 6: No egg
Stop 7: No egg
Stop 8: Egg, 5km
Stop 9: No Egg
Stop 10: No Egg
Stop 11: No Egg

And if you want to track team affiliations, mine is Team Mystic.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
Terrible luck today.

Stop 2: No egg
Stop 4: No egg
Stop 5: No egg
Stop 6: No egg
Stop 7: No egg
Stop 8: Egg, 5km
Stop 9: No Egg
Stop 10: No Egg
Stop 11: No Egg

And if you want to track team affiliations, mine is Team Mystic.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that! I've added the data though! Thank you so much!!

I'm not sure if I'm going to be tracking team affiliations just yet since I haven't gotten any word back to confirm there being team benefits, but I've noted it on the spreadsheet just in case! Thank you!!!!

pokemonjeff

interested trader

Also, pokemonjeff, do you mind telling me your team affiliation? I'm curious if there actually are hidden benefits to joining a team, and that one of them might possibly be a higher egg drop rate for team Instinct (conversely explaining why you seem to have "worse luck" when compared to others)

to answer both of your questions, my girlfriend is actually the one I'm stealing this data from. I don't yet have a phone, and sadly, while I can play it on my tablet, I'm landlocked to wifi. So I've just been playing on hers. She was level 6 when we got the incubator, 3 uses before breaking.

She also went mystic. We hit up 6 stops today and she got 3 eggs, so I guess it was just a crappy streak.

Also hatched the first egg (5km is a long ways when everywhere in the town is straight up the side of a mountain, it literally is uphill every direction) and it gave a nidoranf. Really troll, considering she already had 6-7 and a nidorina. Shes nearly to a nidoqueen now. Guess it'll work out when the local gym leader is using jolteon though.

Edit: Sorry on the delay, had a busy stretch today and didn't have a chance to post back in!