• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokethlon VS Contests

Two sidequests walk in, one walks out.

• I played HG/SS and Pokethlon gets the gold and silver medals

Votes: 435 50.3%
  • I played HG/SS and I want my contests back!

Votes: 107 12.4%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I can't wait for Pokethlon

Votes: 257 29.7%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I play even without contests

Votes: 66 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirea Mokri

I finally got to try out the Pokeathlon today for the first time. And as I anticipated, I love it. There's no competition between Pokeathlon and Contests for me - I'd much rather be a Pokeathlete than a Coordinator. ;P

Misdreavus

used Perish Song!
Personally, what I liked were the contests in R/S/E. The contests in D/P/Pt seem quite complicated, with the loads of different accessories and dancing and all. In fact, I've never even bothered to try them because they seem so complicated. I know lots of people at my TCG league have been having lots of fun doing the Pokéathlon events with each other, but it just doesn't really interest me that much.

Rakurai

I'm kind of disappointed, yet at the same time pleased by the fact that the opponents you go up against in the Supreme Cup are anything but supreme in regards to their skill.

It seems like the only thing that's changed is that their Pokemon are better stat wise, but not their AI, since I'm consistently winning the Jump course by close to 100 points each time. It makes for some easy bonus Pokeathlon points.

Regarding the main topic, I can definitely say, after hours of playing it, that I enjoy the Pokeathlon far more then the contests. I never was able to bring myself to get the trainer star for the DPPt contests, yet I found the Pokeathlon addicting enough that I got it as soon as it was possible.

Cerex

The Pokethlon isn't perfect, but it is way better than the contests. A lot about things the contest seemed like a chore, especially with all of the additions added into it that were kind of silly, like the dress up and dancing.

Another problem with the contest is that they were they were developed was pretty much a modified version of your standard battle; the Pokethlon is completely different, and allows you to use your Pkmn in a very different way. There is also more variety in the Pokethlon.

Though some of the games are kind of easy, i choose pokethlon over contests one million times. It´s much funnier.

dodongray23

Um, honestly... I find it more interesting and more enjoyable than Pokemon Contests that were held in the Sinnoh region...

While I definitely like the contests (I've been known to attempt all the contests with one Pokemon), I enjoy the Pokeathlon more. The prizes given away at Pokeathlon really sweeten the deal. Rare Candy for 2,000 points? Oh yeah!

i love pokethlon, because there are lots of milestones to go after instead of just ribbons like contests. but pennant capture is too difficult, i can't get 50.

Decade

Ace Pokeathlete
While I definitely like the contests (I've been known to attempt all the contests with one Pokemon), I enjoy the Pokeathlon more. The prizes given away at Pokeathlon really sweeten the deal. Rare Candy for 2,000 points? Oh yeah!

Dont forget Heart Scales for 1000, no more mass Luvdisc catching for me!

Last edited:

NATHAN J GUSTO

Fighting Gym Leader
I loooovvvveeeee pokeathalon so much more hands on

IceBite

Pokeathalon is much more vigorous then the contests but the people who like to grasp the hearts of many by appeal is also fine.

THE GOOD STUFF OF POKEATHLON

Pokeathlon, you have a varied pool of events which are all interactive and some can tire the hand muscle of the avid gamer. The prizes it offers are valuable enough to partake into the pokeathlon many times but are not too valuable which gives players the upper hand so early in the game. They are also decently priced and there is only one in stock per day which means players with lots of points cannot keep buying rare candies to level up their pokemon or PP ups. The Medalist Pokemon challenge is a great challenge making players play each event with the same pokemon regardless of its weaknesses in that event.

THE BAD STUFF OF THE POKEATHLON

While the pokeathlon is a great addition to HG/SS, its not perfect. There is no difficulty in the pokeathlon depending on the type of pokemon you select. In Contests, players had up to Master Difficulty. I understand putting pokemon that are weak to certain events may increase the amount of difficulty, but contests also have a similar system like that. Where you can feed them pokeblocks and their appeal stats raise.

What i really wanted to see was an online portion where you could send in event scores and compare with around the world. That would make the Pokeathlon a big hit and make players come back to it long after they've outgrown the single player.

IceBite

Pokeathalon is much more vigorous then the contests but the people who like to grasp the hearts of many by appeal is also fine.

THE GOOD STUFF OF POKEATHLON

Pokeathlon, you have a varied pool of events which are all interactive and some can tire the hand muscle of the avid gamer. The prizes it offers are valuable enough to partake into the pokeathlon many times but are not too valuable which gives players the upper hand so early in the game. They are also decently priced and there is only one in stock per day which means players with lots of points cannot keep buying rare candies to level up their pokemon or PP ups. The Medalist Pokemon challenge is a great challenge making players play each event with the same pokemon regardless of its weaknesses in that event.

THE BAD STUFF OF THE POKEATHLON

While the pokeathlon is a great addition to HG/SS, its not perfect. There is no difficulty in the pokeathlon depending on the type of pokemon you select. In Contests, players had up to Master Difficulty. I understand putting pokemon that are weak to certain events may increase the amount of difficulty, but contests also have a similar system like that. Where you can feed them pokeblocks and their appeal stats raise.

What i really wanted to see was an online portion where you could send in event scores and compare with around the world. That would make the Pokeathlon a big hit and make players come back to it long after they've outgrown the single player.

kemal07

I never like the contests when they were first introduced in Pokemon RSE, but in the Anime I love it, it's so interesting. Whereas the Pokethlon didn't interest me at all in it's anime episode but i love it in the games.
Therefore, I conclude the Pokethlon is better.

When I first heard about the Pokéathlon, I thought it was a stupid idea! However, upon actually trying the whole thing (after I'd beaten Red), I've decided that they're much more fun, and not to mention easier to get the star on the Trainer Card! You really feel as if you're achieving more with the Pokéathlon.

Karii

♥~Eevee Evolutions~♥
I hated the contests, I'm so glad they got rid of them!! I never did anything with them, not even when I was done with the game. They were so pointless to me, the mini games are better in my opinion. Also!! You don't have to go to different cities to advance or whatever.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
A lack of difficulty options is the only thing that lets the mini-games down, though I can understand why they didn't put them in. I really love the games though, and the awards are cool too.

They also introduce it in a kick *** way!

nm, just got to the friendship room.

Last edited:

CaptainAwesome

RAWR COOKIES!!!!!!!!
i won the fast,smart and strong athethon or whatever on the first try it was quite funny

Pokemon4Ever

Innocent Bystander
I have to say, the Pokeathlon is actually fun. I didn't mind contests in RSE, but I hate Sinnoh's Super Contests. I'll take the Pokeathlon over the new contests any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.