• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokethlon VS Contests

Two sidequests walk in, one walks out.

• I played HG/SS and Pokethlon gets the gold and silver medals

Votes: 435 50.3%
  • I played HG/SS and I want my contests back!

Votes: 107 12.4%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I can't wait for Pokethlon

Votes: 257 29.7%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I play even without contests

Votes: 66 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I can't really compare the two since each is different and each has its own appeal to players.

But yes, Pokéthlon is fun.

sunny13

Proud Importer of HG
I have to say, as excited I am to play the Pokethons, I am really going to miss contests. If we get a 5th generation, I really really hope they make a comeback.

But... in DPPt, contests were too complicated. I loved contests in RSE, but DPPt ruined them for me.

mario_128

i hope if contest ever make a comeback they keep the appeal and add a battle stage to it where your HP is points instead and you can use combos and stuff

Beotium

Mew-Overlord
I played them alot and though I like Contests, Pokethlon is my favourite. Just considering you can participate with 3 Pokes(and every Poke is able to do that) and see them in more action than just running behind you gives it a point. Also if you lose at contest you don't even get a pat on the back, while Pokethlon gives you the points you accumulated. The final plus points are the prizes...I mean look at Contest prizes..and then look what Pokethlon offers. I think you can't really compare Contests with the Pokethlon. It's like comparing Bug Catching Contest with the Safari zone. Both are great on their own., but comparing is unfair.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Pokéthlon.
Contests are a bit bland and drawn out in my opinion.

nekoakuma

Event Hunter
i never got into the contests. well, i didn't mind the 3rd round one, but dress-up and dance was kinda lame. the contests didn';t require you to actually do much.

pokethlon on the other hand is quite active and fun. i can read and understand japanese so the info on the contests is no biggie, but for those who can't its easy to:

-remember which type of contest you chose and select pokemon whos stats are the most in that type (even if you cant read what it is, you can probably just memorise it.)
-you don't have to use whats in your party, you can select from boxes as well (i didnt know that at the start. lol.)

favourite ones so far would be:
jump hurdles (speed/jump)
the karate one (really simple and fast) (power/stamina)

disliked ones:
4-way soccer thing (bit confusing with 3 pokemons all over the place)
[maybe i just need more practice on it]

others i havent played enough to decide.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
I'm going to have to say Pokethlon. They look ten times better (and ten times less boring) than super contests. The closest we got to mini games in the super contests was the dance part. What is so fun about that?!?

Nidoprince

Yea, but isn't the Pokethlon more "Actiony"? Like more of a fast minigame, like the game Pokemon Ranger? If so, I'd much rather have the Pokethlon. I wish they'd do that instead of contests.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I want my contests back.

I am playing Soul silver and have had a good go at pokethlon and I have trouble seeing how pokethlons a good replacement.

Before anyone misunderstands I love pokethlons. They're heaps of fun and worth the wait for the games for those who are waiting. I do love playing them.

It's just I'd rather have had pokethlon as an added feature. You know have both pokethlon and contests.

I remember I had to think about my moves for contests and raise the Pokemon movesets depending on contests on top of the whole giving poffin and pokeblock. There was alot more effort. You got the berries. You grew the berries and watered them to get as many as you can. You make the poffin/pokeblock trying to get a good one. You decide which Pokemon would benefit from it depending on what they like. Then you raise it. After that you decide on which attacks would work best in the appeals round. You even had scarfs when you raised it well.

Problem is they never made it so you can compete online with contests and I'm not happy if they're gone for good because they only scratched the surface of contests.=(

Though if it's gone in future games it wouldn't surprise me I mean gamefreak isn't known in keeping all the features in future games. Looks like I'll be hoping for 5th gen to have it or at least a RS remake now just to get some contest improvements.......

Though pokethlon the way the Pokemon is raised is similar yet different. You don't grow the apricorns, you just pick them off trees. The stats are already on the Pokemon, you just reorganise and improve them using the the apricorn shakes.

You don't use Pokemon moves anywhere.

There maybe a little more depth however from playing it so far that's what I see at the moment. maybe when I play it more, more may appear but either way it feels very different to contests.

I love the pokethlon however. Great music, heaps of fun and I wouldn't want that gone either. Though it just doesn't feel the same as contests and have no idea why it keeps getting compared.

It's a whole different experience from my view.

Yes I am pretty hardcore on the contest raising. I just wish more people had gotten into it since I'm starting to see why they never bothered with wifi.

Atleast I have DPPt for my contest raising I guess. Hopefully HG and SS are like LG and FR and the only reason they removed it is because it's a remake. Pokethlon should carry on to next gen but I want contests aswell.

One thing is it bugs me the lack of contests because I'm getting that same feel as I got when playing LG and FR. The whole I want to enter a contest feel. I get that quite often believe it or not. I have to switch games every time I get that feel.

Something tells me I'm going to be switching worse than what I did with LG and FR.

With LG and FR once I finished the main games I switched back to RS and didn't pick up LG and FR again just because of contests.

With HG and SS it has Pokethlons which are really really fun so whenever I'm in the mood for raising for athletics type stuff I play SS but when Im in the mood for contests I switch back to DPPt. So I'm going to be switchng like crazy.

Though yeah I would like to see both incorporated into next gen.

Though it does look like if my Johto team is going to be good at contests I'm going to have to trade them to Platinum thus reducing their happiness.

Sorry about the rant. I love both equally anyway just to finish this up.

Last edited:

starwars

megacharizard king
i think the pokethlon will be better because you get more action and the contest were almost impossible for me to beat so finally something i hope ill be good at

AceTrainerRO

Snow Cloak Abuser
Pokethlon, but Contests are cool to me though.

I hated that Pokethlon mini-game with the flags LOL.

I love the prizes! Yay evolutionary stones!

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
Ok, a lot of the stuff here you guys are pure speculation. I have played both(yeah, I am playing Jap SS now) and I think pokethlon is better. Only I wish I knew Japanese so i could enjoy it more.....

I prefer the Pokethlon to contests(since I don't have much time to plant berries).

Everybody, when you get your HG/SS or both, play the Pokethlon. Its fun, I think I'll give a summary of some of the minigames(my opinion BTW).

Bounce Field
This is your first event if choose Jump category(5th and probably easiest category). I liked this one a lot. Especially when I fired Pidgeotto into the Xatu light for 5 points, followed by it by landing and bouncing the second time BY ITSELF and getting 1 or 2 more lights. I LOL'd when it landed on Flaafy and Quilava, making them all dizzy(this team won ALL 3 minigames for me in Jump 5 minutes ago, so please try it out if you can(completely off-topic)).

Catch Saucer(or whatever you call it)
This HAS to be one of the craziest minigames(beaten only by the soccer one). It was really funny watching Pidgeotto push Magikarp off as Flaafy caught the saucer. Basically, what I do to win easily is to get 2 Pokemon to stand in the front(catching saucers), while getting a third to push Pokemon off the place. This way, I get a LOT of 1-pointers and 2-pointers while reducing the others chances of getting anything.

Dash Hurdles
If you have a quick hand, you'll enjoy this. There are 3 stages of boosts, the first being none(at the start when you start, it is signified by a few white puffs coming out at the start), the second is signified by grey lines surrounding you and the third is known as L33T SUPA H4X0R(my own creation) signified by yellow lines.

Completely Off-Topic: I have beat the Jump category thrice, but I haven't got any medals for my Pokemon. How do I get them? Also how do I make ApriShakes(I have the ApriShaker)?

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
Pokethlon is really a fun idea. I love the strength competitions, agile, speed, endurance, every one of them.

Japanese hinders the fun, but it's still new and creative as heck. You guys will enjoy it.

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
pokethlon. Contests are just plain boring.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Ok, a lot of the stuff here you guys are pure speculation. I have played both(yeah, I am playing Jap SS now) and I think pokethlon is better. Only I wish I knew Japanese so i could enjoy it more.....

I prefer the Pokethlon to contests(since I don't have much time to plant berries).

Everybody, when you get your HG/SS or both, play the Pokethlon. Its fun, I think I'll give a summary of some of the minigames(my opinion BTW).

Bounce Field
This is your first event if choose Jump category(5th and probably easiest category). I liked this one a lot. Especially when I fired Pidgeotto into the Xatu light for 5 points, followed by it by landing and bouncing the second time BY ITSELF and getting 1 or 2 more lights. I LOL'd when it landed on Flaafy and Quilava, making them all dizzy(this team won ALL 3 minigames for me in Jump 5 minutes ago, so please try it out if you can(completely off-topic)).

Catch Saucer(or whatever you call it)
This HAS to be one of the craziest minigames(beaten only by the soccer one). It was really funny watching Pidgeotto push Magikarp off as Flaafy caught the saucer. Basically, what I do to win easily is to get 2 Pokemon to stand in the front(catching saucers), while getting a third to push Pokemon off the place. This way, I get a LOT of 1-pointers and 2-pointers while reducing the others chances of getting anything.

Dash Hurdles
If you have a quick hand, you'll enjoy this. There are 3 stages of boosts, the first being none(at the start when you start, it is signified by a few white puffs coming out at the start), the second is signified by grey lines surrounding you and the third is known as L33T SUPA H4X0R(my own creation) signified by yellow lines.

Completely Off-Topic: I have beat the Jump category thrice, but I haven't got any medals for my Pokemon. How do I get them? Also how do I make ApriShakes(I have the ApriShaker)?

The medals is what I want to know too since I won and recieved nothing but points. The win feels a little shallow without the medals/ribbons for me personally. I hope they're still in there so anyone knowing how to get them please say or at least confirm whether they're actually in there.

As for Aprishakes I can answer that. Go into the Apricorn part where it shows your list of Apricorns and the shaker. Use the touch screen and dragthe Apricorns to the top of the shaker and the shaer should open and you can drop them in. Once you do that and got a few apricorns in there close the menu.

Just run around now. This mixes it. Of course if it still isn't mixed keep running until it is.

Then when the shake is done select the container and selectthe first option and it should take you to select the pokemon you want to give it to.

Last edited:

darkexplosion

Doesnt bite
In my opinion i like pokethlon more i played it and enjoyed it

Fire Type King

Leave luck to Heaven
Not bothered

I'm waiting for the UK release and from what I've seen, the pokethlon doesn't look all that. I loved the contests but will still give pokethlon a go.

txdaan

Who reads this is...
Let's just say it this way:

I've had way more fun with the Pokethlon in 1 day than with Contests since R/S. There's so much more to do, it has prices that actually help you with the main game, and you don't have to spent weeks on making aprishakes to give your pokemon the slightest chance of winning(my Quilava actually went from 5 normal stars in speed to 5 big orange stars by just competing). Contests were fun in R/S/E (pokeblocks were quite fun too) but in DPPt they added so much useless things(dress up, dancing, multiple judges, and they also removed things like statuses/negative points) that I just don't want to play them anymore.

Although I'd like to see both returning to the next game, but with the contests being more like R/S/E (when they actually involved strategy).

Status
Not open for further replies.