1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokethlon VS Contests

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by dragonbreath, Sep 18, 2009.

?

Two sidequests walk in, one walks out.

1. I played HG/SS and Pokethlon gets the gold and silver medals

435 vote(s)
    50.3%
  2. I played HG/SS and I want my contests back!

107 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. I'm waiting for US release, but I can't wait for Pokethlon

257 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. I'm waiting for US release, but I play even without contests

66 vote(s)
    7.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenNinja

GreenNinja Treasure Hunter

i really like it alot to be honest. it reminds me of the mini games from the stadiums. plus they are interactable instead of just watching your pokemon do something or playing a DDR on the touch screen. (which i still think was lame)

ever go downstairs? they explain the history and its really interesting.

2. zodiacsage

zodiacsage Challenge Seeker

Hands down the Pokeathalon is cooler than Contests. And it is awesome you can challenge your friends, which is also much cooler to do than in the Contests.

3. TR4eva

TR4eva A Friendly Rocket

I do love playing the Pokeathlon events, they use the DS touch screen to its full potential and you can bond with your Pokemon, get to know their strengths and weaknesses alot easier than competing in a contest as you can't find out your Pokemon's thoughts and how they react when competing with others it also has little use of the touch screen.

4. TheSmexyMoogle

TheSmexyMoogle Active Member

I wasn't used to the contests when they first came out, but now that i'm a more competent pokemon player I'm sure that I would enjoy them a heck of alot more. :O
    with that being said, I still like the pokeathalon, and not only for the rewards, I actually think that some of the challanges are fun, though played over time could get repetitive. I still wanna get all the stars in the trophy room. But I think one of the trust ones means you have to have like 50 Ribbon holders that have won 1st place in all 5 events. I have yet to play the wifi/doubles games of it but anticipate it to be fun. Lastly, I dont know why everyone is bashing this minigame; it's supposed to be a little side dish to the game, not a major factor of it :) Thanks.

5. Re: Dusk Kamui

Re: Dusk Kamui Your pretty face

I'm liking the Pokethlon a lot.
    I keep playing it so much I beaten every record and had earned a second star on my trainer card.
    After that, they have the supreme events which some important characters compete.
    I saw Whitney compete again in the Strength event and the Kimono Girl Kuni compete in the Skill event.
    Plus the prizes they offer with the points you earn makes playing the Pokethlon worth while.
    My Pokemon are meant to be athletes, not all of them can be dancers or fashion models.

6. overheat

overheat Fire Type Trainer

I like the pokeathlon because you get to test your pokemon physically instead of just dressing them up and making them dance. Besides, you can now pretty much control your pokemon through :p

7. tom-tom

tom-tom Furret <3

I prefer Pokeathalon over the 4th gen contests, but not over 3rd gen contests. For some reason I really liked 3rd gen contests.

8. Azn4life

Azn4life Master of Delibird

Pokethlon > Contests. This is mainly because of the use of the touch screen which utilizes the DS more while the contest can also be based on luck, like getting hyper beamed by a 3rd place pokemon when you're in fourth place.

Also, the prizes in Pokethlon are great. Water stones, Leaf stones, rare candies, apricorns, etc. They're all better than ribbons (which you get in pokethlon) and the eventual Articuno statue (correct me if I'm wrong) you get at the end.

9. The contests are an idea with potential that is ultimately wasted. Seriously, I loaded up Pearl for the first time in ages the other day to play one again, and the only part I enjoyed was the Visual category. Everything else was down to luck.

10. The contests are an idea with potential that is ultimately wasted. Seriously, I loaded up Pearl for the first time in ages the other day to play one again, and the only part I enjoyed was the Visual category. Everything else was down to luck.

11. Umbreon9

Umbreon9 It's been a while...

LOVE the Pokeathlon!!! Beat every record except for pennant capture...>-< :mad: I HATE pennant capture! D:<

12. MissFrederick

MissFrederick Well-Known Member

Compared to the contests, Pokethlon wins automically for me. I find it really fun. I was never a big fan of contests, I found them to be too frustrating and too annoying to get the hang off. But I really love the Pokethlon. I also love the fact that even if you don't win the particular games you're doing, you still get your points. I prefer the Pokethlon to the contests.

13. Ambri

Ambri ~Draco Rex~

I love the Pokeathlon ^_^ the different events are fun, and I like trying to beat all the records for each course and event. The prizes are great, and you get to use any three Pokemon :D Not only that, but any Pokemon can be good at an event if you increase their ability with Aprijuice~

It's a lot more varied than the contests, which I've never really found that fun and are mostly up to luck in the performance round.

14. Bronzong#1

Bronzong#1 Cell Shaded

Pokeathelon

like that guy who hosts the pokeathelon is say POKEATHELON FOREVER.
    In the contests the dance competition always would put me below the rest of the people kinda sick of that personally . i gotta killer team for jump course

15. Umbreon's Girl

Umbreon's Girl Scolipede!!!

Pokeathlon trumps contests. I can't beat the Disc catch!!! I have the high score in all other events except the stupid disc catch. I knock the other Pokemon off the platform and I jump like crazy but I can't see to get a very high score.

16. Shimama

Shimama .the~desert~spirit.

I love the Pokeathlon! I always sucked at/hated the contests in the games. I like watching the contest episodes in the anime, but I'd never actually do them myself.

I just love all of the events and how you actually control your Pokemon, it is just so cool. :D~~

As of now, my Pokemon have the Speed, Jump, and Power medals. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the whole Aprijuice thing works out. But so far I just love the Pokeathlon. :>

17. Both contests and the Pokeathlon seem very gimmicky to me, if I had to choose the better then it would be the Pokeathlon for sure.

Wonder what Black and White will introduce?

18. Rsr57

Rsr57 Well-Known Member

Pokethlon is more diverse.

19. Pikasaur

Pikasaur Putting up a Fight

I personally prefer contest's. Sure you didnt get any prizes outside of the ribbon but i consider that a good thing. I dont like being forced to compete in pokethlon just to get an Evolution Stone. Thats one reason i dislike the underground too, but thats not the point.

Point is i found contest's more fun because i wasn't forced to do them for stuff i needed, like Evolution Stones

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  20. SuperVenustoise

SuperVenustoise Active Member

For me Pokethlons are better than contests due to the amount of interactivity and the prizes you can get. The 4th gen contests involve too much luck and aren't even as good as the 3rd gen contests, which at least involve a little strategy and are more fun to play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.