1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokethlon VS Contests

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by dragonbreath, Sep 18, 2009.

?

Two sidequests walk in, one walks out.

1. I played HG/SS and Pokethlon gets the gold and silver medals

435 vote(s)
    50.3%
  2. I played HG/SS and I want my contests back!

107 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. I'm waiting for US release, but I can't wait for Pokethlon

257 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. I'm waiting for US release, but I play even without contests

66 vote(s)
    7.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishni18

ishni18 ~*Shiny Hunter*~

I find contests more fun . .pokethelon is ok in that you get nice prizes and elemental stones which are otherwise rare in HGSS :(

2. Wallaroo42

Wallaroo42 Knight who says Ni

Never got into the pokethelon. I tried it... once XD

Oh fail. Sinnoh contests were a bit of a joke though (dressing up and dancing proves you're tough?)... I think I prefer hoenn contests the most out of these somehow...

3. Jagged Little Pill

Jagged Little Pill the good life

I like the Pokeathlon because you get to use the touch screen much but it gets frustrating while you progress. Contests are still my favorites.

EDIT: I think the Pokemon Musical will be CRAP. It's like a rip-off of contests with only the dancing and the dress-up. The only thing I might like is that you can use custom music.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. Jabaxaro

Jabaxaro Ascending!

Personally I think the Pokéathlon really freshens things up and can get extremely addicting making me spend hours on it with an option of getting PP ups fairly quick even!

Haven't played DPPt but the third Gen contests weren't really too much fun as of what I tried so I have to say this option is my favorite! :)

5. Skydra

Skydra Well-Known Member

Pokeathlon is better, but I can't say contests was horrid either. Poffin making is more fun than Aprishake making, and the moves round was good, but Pokeathlon wins out for just being more fun. One major difference between them is that Pokeathlon is stats and Contests is moves. For Contests, the Pokemon can be as weak as you like as long as it has good moves. Pokeathlon, on the other hand much about the pokemon you are using. It could just know Splash but having good Pokeathlon stats would be what affects the outcome.

6. Nitro123 (PG)

Nitro123 (PG) Needs a user title

I like how I can get Heart Scales every week without digging around in the Sinnoh Underground. :)
    THere so small, the ground always collapses before I find anything. I find fossils more often than I find Heart Scales.

7. White Wizard

White Wizard Hundred acre Woods

pokethon!
    :)

8. foxyman1167

foxyman1167 From Zero To Hero

Pokethlon.

9. Mr. E Goods

Mr. E Goods Gone for good

I like the pokeathlon better. I am excited to see the pokemon musical though in Isshu.

10. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I once said Contests were the easier event in HG/SS and that the Pokeathlon was hard. Well that was true in the Japanese versions of HG/SS when I didn't know what I was doing lol. Now that I can actually read the instructions, it's a piece of cake. The Pokeathlon is really easy and I always win even if just barely. Contests are another story, they're just a real pain :p

11. Kiruria

Kiruria La Melancolie Noir

In my opinion, the Super Contests in D/P/Pt sucked. All this stuff about Voltage and appealing to three different judges got boring really easily. And the dress-up was frustrating. Hoenn Contests were more fun because Startling and Nervousness were possible.

But I think the Pokeathlon is a definite improvement. Instead of doing the same old DDR-esque dance thingy every time, there are a variety of mini-games to do in each competition. But the main advantage I see is that entering a Pokeathlon is much easier than entering a Contest. You can very easily catch a few random Pokemon, pick out the ones that have similar stats, and enter them in the Pokeathlon with a good chance of winning. However, if you try to enter a freshly-caught Pokemon in a Contest, its lack of Contest Stats becomes a real disadvantage for it.

I agree with the fact that making Pokeblocks/Poffins is much more fun than making Aprijuice. Because it's so easy to enter Pokemon into the Pokeathlon, I hardly ever find the need to use Aprijuice to adjust their stats. Besides, I often find Aprijuice decreases a stat I don't want to decrease.

Still, overall, Pokeathlon > Contests.

12. FallenStar93

FallenStar93 Well-Known Member

The Pokeathlon is much more fun than contests. Contests are actually quite hard.

13. zipzap713

zipzap713 @Peteyism

I prefer the Pokeathlon to the Contests. The Pokeathlon is much more accessbile and varied than the Contests, and thus to me provides more entertainment. By removing the Pokeblocks, it makes it possible for you to choose any Pokemon with a good enough star ranking and still compete well. Plus, the Athlete Points are a nice touch, rewarding you even if you don't win.
    Pokeathlon > Contests.

14. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I do not like either what so ever. I think that anything in the games that dont deal with battles or the story is pointless. this includes contest, pokeathlon, and possibly and most likely the pokemon musical.

15. invaderdim

invaderdim Dimmest of the Dim^^

it's a shame this is the only place to discuss the pokeathlon :/
    anyway, i tihnk there should be a place in the tournaments for pokeathlon (and for the contest fanatics) contests :) considering i dont battle competitively and none of my friends play pokemon except my brother whos just starting HG.

16. TheSwram!

TheSwram! You've been bitten

I'm more of a contest person.

17. Latiosify

Latiosify Ace Trainer

I like the Pokéthlon more than Contests because it's more action. :D

18. Neekerisanni123

Neekerisanni123 Kanbei <3 _ <3

Tested out Pokethlon, and I have to say that it's boring as hell. I love contests, but Pokethlon... meh.

19. Haxy

Haxy legendary spooky silke

I think that the Pokeathlon is much more fun than Contests in any way. Especially when you consider that no special preparations are needed to participate in Pokeathlon, while you need a lot of Poffins, specific moves which may or may not be useless in battle, and a little bit of luck. Pokeathlon to me is more skill-based than anything, and I like it. Also, you can just catch/receive a Pokemon and it's Pokeathlon ready already!

20. Zesqio

Zesqio Well-Known Member

I prefer the Pokeathlon as there is not need for all the prepartaion as in contests. I rarely ever won the top level of contests as I could never quite get perfect poffins/pokeblocks, even if I would get the most points in the move section. I like how I don't need all that preparation for the pokethlon. I also like the diversity of games in the pokeathlon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.