• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokethlon VS Contests

Two sidequests walk in, one walks out.

• I played HG/SS and Pokethlon gets the gold and silver medals

Votes: 435 50.3%
  • I played HG/SS and I want my contests back!

Votes: 107 12.4%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I can't wait for Pokethlon

Votes: 257 29.7%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I play even without contests

Votes: 66 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
-_____________-;

This had better not be the end of contests. I have a team of 5 Pokemon that have won their respective contests in both Hoenn and Sinnoh, and to be honest, I really enjoy them. The Pokethelon is a nice addition, but it shouldn't be a replacement.

Besides, if they did away with contests, how the heck would FEEBAS evolve?!

I'm not excited for the Pokethlon, it looks like it was tacked on like the follow feature just to abuse the hell out of the overworld sprites. I guess they look more involving than contests, but just not that fun. :/

That's my opinion, but I have found the Pokéthlon to be MUCH cooler than the Super Contests. Even though I'd like to have the latter in Kanto, the former works pretty well as a replacement (if that's really what's GF's planning).

And to me, it was the other way. They came up with the idea of Pokéthlon, and decided to work it using overworld sprites, and then they decided to make them follow you everywhere and such.

Haruka

Banned
Tbh, the Pokéthlon looks very, very boring to me. I also agree with Meganium Ex. The sprites are just being completely whored out and it's not making things any funner. The only challenge that looks even slightly entertaining is "Steal Flag", and that's not saying much at all.

If they really replaced contests with this, I'm going to riot.

Contests aren't going to be replaced. RS remakes will happen eventually, and contests were one of the highlights of the third generation. So no, they'll be back next generation.

They just need to be revamped. Super Contests sucked pretty horribly. I agree that they need to be more like the anime.

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
I really don't care for the Pokeathlon other than the prizes. It seems like such a waste of time, Imo...

I prefer contests, but Hoenn-style. Not only did they become WAY too easy in Sinnoh, but I don't feel like the dressing up is really all that important anyways. Just my opinion.

dragonbreath

Profesional Lurker
If you don't want a waste of time you shouldn't be doing contests ether. Or for that matter playing pokemon or posting here.

You should be doing your taxes or working on a cure for a common cold or something.

Fun fact one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say games they don't like are a waste of time. Though it's more directed to flash games then ones you have to pay for.

Those are a waste of time and money :)

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
If you don't want a waste of time you shouldn't be doing contests ether. Or for that matter playing pokemon or posting here.

You should be doing your taxes or working on a cure for a common cold or something.

Fun fact one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say games they don't like are a waste of time. Though it's more directed to flash games then ones you have to pay for.

Lol, because I definitely said that the games themselves were a waste of time. Its funny how you should post something like this in a thread that is directly asking people about their opinion on contest vs. pokeathlon. It just seems like they could have come up with something better, although I guess the pokeathlon is geared toward the younger crowd anyways.

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator

Lol, because I definitely said that the games themselves were a waste of time. Its funny how you should post something like this in a thread that is directly asking people about their opinion on contest vs. pokeathlon. It just seems like they could have come up with something better, although I guess the pokeathlon is geared toward the younger crowd anyways.

Wigglytuff FTW!

Oh hi thar
The Pokethlon look fun, maybe. A lot better than contests though. I never bothered with making Pokemon good for contests, so I always lost.
But at least with the Pokethlon it'll give me a better time-killer.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
-_____________-;

This had better not be the end of contests. I have a team of 5 Pokemon that have won their respective contests in both Hoenn and Sinnoh, and to be honest, I really enjoy them. The Pokethelon is a nice addition, but it shouldn't be a replacement.

Besides, if they did away with contests, how the heck would FEEBAS evolve?!
This. Also, Contests should be like they were in RSE with the dressing up (But please keep the Maximum to about 10) and dancing or more anime inspired.

I think Pokethlon and Contests should be in the 5th gen.

OHNOEZ, FEETH GEN SPEC! DELEET POST IMMINATLY!

Fun fact one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say games they don't like are a waste of time.

Of course, if it's a game I don't like, why would I invest my time playing it? It would be a waste :/

Samayowa

you amaze me.
Contests have been a favorite of mine, but the Pokethlon looks really cool.
I can't wait till the games come out in the US so I can try them out!

Last edited:

DSDark

Breeder
the contests were okay, i just rocked beauty with my Blaziken and then never touched it again. However the pokelthon looks like it'll be really fun.

pika_power

Normal Coordinator
Personally, I haven't played Pokéthlon yet, but I believe that it will be better than contests. Contests are just another turn-based battle system, while the Pokéthlon is something different.

Let's have a look at contests. They are basically a rehash of the turn-based system. Sure, they have new content and are set around a new concept, but are is another turn based feature in a turn based game. The Pokéthlon is a new style, which is realtime. That is a nice break from the rest of the game.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Personally, I haven't played Pokéthlon yet, but I believe that it will be better than contests. Contests are just another turn-based battle system, while the Pokéthlon is something different.

Let's have a look at contests. They are basically a rehash of the turn-based system. Sure, they have new content and are set around a new concept, but are is another turn based feature in a turn based game. The Pokéthlon is a new style, which is realtime. That is a nice break from the rest of the game.

Pokethlon is a bunch of mini games like mario 64DS mini games except with stats actually. They're not really new either.

I think there maybe a tad bit of inspiration from mario and Sonic and the olympic games DS in there aswell. I'm not sure but they give off that feel.

I've played them. Pokemon had mini games before. Mini games have gone right back to the original Pokemon Stadium. LG and FR had mini games, Platinum had mini games.

Really it'd be the first time they put focus on mini games instead of pushing them off to the side.

Pokethlon may have the aspect of beat each section like contests do but it also has a beat every event record like most mini games. You'll know when you play them.

Stats aren't as big of an influence as contest stats. Practically pokethlon stats help the Pokemon a bit and the restrelies on how good you are at the particular mini game. Hence why despite all the right stats maxed and I still can't beat steal flags record. 3 days now and still trying. My DS almost went flying yesterday. I can't stand that mini game.

Pokedragonman

A Császár
Im still waiting for HG and SS to come out but Im looking forward to the Pokethlon so my pokemon have something else to do other than kicking major butt!

HaruLatz

GUREITO!
Stats aren't as big of an influence as contest stats. Practically pokethlon stats help the Pokemon a bit and the restrelies on how good you are at the particular mini game. Hence why despite all the right stats maxed and I still can't beat steal flags record. 3 days now and still trying. My DS almost went flying yesterday. I can't stand that mini game.

The one where you run around the beach to get the flag? I hated that one too. But don't forget, you can ram into other Pokémon to steal their flags. That ends up helping a lot!.

Anyways, I don't think contests will be replaced myself, but I hope the Pokéthlon won't be an HGSS exclusive thing. I would love to see it be a recurring thing.

Tyranitar trainer

Back for a bit
I've played the Pokethlon and I found that it is mucyh much better than contests
Long live the Pokethlon

Status
Not open for further replies.