• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokethlon VS Contests

Two sidequests walk in, one walks out.

• I played HG/SS and Pokethlon gets the gold and silver medals

Votes: 435 50.3%
  • I played HG/SS and I want my contests back!

Votes: 107 12.4%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I can't wait for Pokethlon

Votes: 257 29.7%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I play even without contests

Votes: 66 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaTravis

Pokemon Trainer
The Pokethlon looks really cool and seems a lot better than the contests.

Rakurai

It's unfortunate that they had to make it so some Pokemon are just flat out better then others in every single way for the Pokethlon, and quite predictably, it's the legends that fall into that category for the most part.

I suppose you could say it's realistic, but the Pokemon games are hardly about realism to begin with.

Khitsule

I'm definately looking forward to pokethlon but i have to wait for the us release before i can import it from there >.< (im in australia) Contests are fun and all but it just seems so drawn out in there 'acting' part, and the pokethlon seems more time consuming....

Johto-Master

contests are so repetitive: dress up, left up down right danceing, move one move two move one move two next rank

the pokéthlon looks like a lively game, that actually requires skill and that'll take practice before you can master something, not have your legendary palkia be out-danced by a bidoof wearing a water drop.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
I'm just glad there's a new feature for HG/SS. I loved the Dance round in Super Contests but was less fond of the Dressing Up (it was easier when I didn't have so many accesories to scroll thru). I think there are room for both Pokethelon and Contests in the pokemon world. Contests can always appear in another game, same w/ pokethelon. It's a side quest so you can do it if you like and ignore if you don't.

buizel kid

pokethlon by far

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
Out of curiosity, do any of you with the Japanese version know what happens to the ribbons on your pokes if they are traded from DPPt to HGSS? I assume they aren't implemented at all so they most likely go away.

Sarracenia

Pokémagpie Zog
Out of curiosity, do any of you with the Japanese version know what happens to the ribbons on your pokes if they are traded from DPPt to HGSS? I assume they aren't implemented at all so they most likely go away.
Ribbons are still present and there are indeed some new ones. You get the Legend Ribbon when you beat Red for example.

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
Ribbons are still present and there are indeed some new ones. You get the Legend Ribbon when you beat Red for example.

Interesting. How are they implemented if there are no contests? Do you get them in the Pokethalon?

yanmegy423

Litwick-KAWAIIDESU!
Since importing it i found the opponents way more difficult than the contests opponents even though i was on the easiest level and you had catch certain pokemon just to get those right stats (pesonally you MUST choose Sunkern). It made raising easier because you had an unlimited amount of sheen. Pokethlon is supierior

NES

Flip me to the side!
Pokethlon is better, i really enjoy this old mini games fashion, it's a lot like Stadium mini games where you use your own pokemon.

For me it was a good change, you can have super contest in Platinum anyway.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Yep, Pokéthlon is fun and I picture Stadium just by playing it.
Anyway, I expect the two in Gen 5, but now's not the time to discuss it though.

PokemonTrainerAriel

Pokemon Trainer
Pokethlon is a bunch of mini games like mario 64DS mini games except with stats actually. They're not really new either.

I think there maybe a tad bit of inspiration from mario and Sonic and the olympic games DS in there aswell. I'm not sure but they give off that feel.

I've played them. Pokemon had mini games before. Mini games have gone right back to the original Pokemon Stadium. LG and FR had mini games, Platinum had mini games.

Really it'd be the first time they put focus on mini games instead of pushing them off to the side.

Pokethlon may have the aspect of beat each section like contests do but it also has a beat every event record like most mini games. You'll know when you play them.

Stats aren't as big of an influence as contest stats. Practically pokethlon stats help the Pokemon a bit and the restrelies on how good you are at the particular mini game. Hence why despite all the right stats maxed and I still can't beat steal flags record. 3 days now and still trying. My DS almost went flying yesterday. I can't stand that mini game.
my little brother LOVES mini games, I bet he'll love it.

True_Eriorguez

Pokethlon seems fun, and something you actually would want to do, not a chore like Super Contests are (I want to make combos, and go out with a bang of Selfdestructive glory, not dance, dress up, and throw attacks without much though).
And, before anybody jumps at my throat, tell me how Super Contests are not inferior to RuSa contests?

I haven't played the Pokethlon, so I can't really compare, but it looks like it's going to be better than contests. I never liked those much.

Status
Not open for further replies.