• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokkén Tournament Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

Odd. I thought it was longer than a year ago. Who cares though? This isn't anything close to a shocking or new announcement.

And really, I doubt most Pokemon fans are going to care for a serious fighting game, especially considering Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U will be out by then and will be the game to compete with, due to being funner, having better replay value and appealing to casuals and serious players alike.

There are a lot of assumptions here and they're all considerable leaps. In particular, Super Smash Bros for Wii U will have almost certainly been out for at least a year before this comes anywhere near consoles. It will not be "the game to compete with" in any sense.

They needed to release this on the Wii U RIGHT NOW. Don't they realize that Wii U sales would skyrocket if they managed to release this around SSB4WiiU? Really, this is ridiculous.

No, that would be a considerable waste, given that as you said, Super Smash Bros for Wii U is going to sell no shortage of systems on its own. Why would you put two products on shelves in a timeframe wherein they would compete with one another, instead of releasing one, letting it play out and then releasing the other, thus ensuring benefit from both?

well, that was more dissapointing than i expected
it would have been great if it was pokespecial adaption as i hoped

Unreasonable expectations.

No. Pokken screenshots have been leaked before.

Reasonably sure there's only ever been the one screenshot, which wasn't leaked.

Pokken isn't going to be a big seller anywhere in America. Fighting games are very niche here, especially Tekken. It'll probably sell more than a typical fighting game due to the Pokemon name but... eh, not much. It's not going to be any form of help for the Wii U anywhere so... yeah.

Again, more assumptions of questionable basis.

X Drake

I Am Groot
Probably because Tekken isn't as fun period? Especially on a system without a good controller for a more serious fighting game like that.

I'd also like to know how you're even aware of SSB Wii U's release date to even say "a few months later". They've said Q4 2014. That's it, and I doubt Pokken is seeing an arcade release this year or even early 2015.

To further salt the wound of a "serious" fighting game on the Wii U... there's no special controllers for the Wii U. X1 and PS4 already have them due to having an established fighting game roster already.

It'll be a lot longer than a months later. But you're pretty pessimistic to think SSB4's popularity is going to fade after only a few months considering Melee is still immensely popular. (and so is that steaming pile more commonly known as Brawl.)
This is assuming that the game is going to be 100 percent accurate to Tekken,which it is not unless you have played it already,because if not it would basically be Tekken with a Pokemon skin.

Ok then you basically made my point easier since the later it comes out the better then especially if it comes out a year after SSb4,by that time SSB4 popularity will fade.Still doesn't prove anything you say about people will not buy this game because of SSB4 especially if this game comes out a year later.You really think that Pokken would have to compete with a game that came out a year before it.And it also doesn't prove that people can't play two fighting games at once.

Soul Caliber is awesome. Hopefully we get the same level of custimization and a console lol I find it harmful that young kids looking forward to this game are finding out life is all about money at such a young age.

RzK

Meow
Remember, Pokémon Conquest was Japan only, too earlier.

GinGaru

There are a lot of assumptions here and they're all considerable leaps. In particular, Super Smash Bros for Wii U will have almost certainly been out for at least a year before this comes anywhere near consoles. It will not be "the game to compete with" in any sense.

No, that would be a considerable waste, given that as you said, Super Smash Bros for Wii U is going to sell no shortage of systems on its own. Why would you put two products on shelves in a timeframe wherein they would compete with one another, instead of releasing one, letting it play out and then releasing the other, thus ensuring benefit from both?

Unreasonable expectations.

Reasonably sure there's only ever been the one screenshot, which wasn't leaked.

the announcemant is named pokemon:special
and i never expected a new game since oras is in development
its not unreasonable at all imo

phanpycross

God-king
So will lopunny have to be in this game, so we dont go one fighting game without a hot chick

Game looks good, hopefully it has a nice diverse cast.

RzK

Meow
Well I do think you're right about that. But shouldn't they release it on the Wii U as soon as possible?

Also, are Luke and Mach the confirmed characters right now? And is that...Lucario... Mega evolving at the very end?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
WiiU sales.

That's an awfully narrow "proof" you've got there.

If anything, Scizor and Electivire are very likely to make the cut. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gengar made it. It makes for the perfect evasive fighter.

Gengar actually would be a pretty interesting choice, since it's fully capable also of fighting physically, but I feel like something like Golurk or Dusknoir would be a better choice of a ghost-type fighter. I mean, Golurk is definitely a skilled brawler. (Yes, I know I'm looking a lot at capability in the arms, so my choices are pretty narrow.)

And I know, Lucario was shown in the trailer, and it's best known for its special attacks. It's still fully capable of attacking physically, and I expect that there will be a larger amount of physically-oriented characters than specially.

Honestly, though, I just want there to be Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee in this game. Long-term favorites, those guys.

The trailer was solid. It was cool seeing the OG Machamp fitting into this type of fighting game. Sucks that only for Japan!

It'll probably land stateside eventually.

Remember, Pokémon Conquest was Japan only, too earlier.

In the process, it shed a Nobunaga's Ambition theme, a series not widely released in America (barring the SNES version and, apparently, an earlier PC version). However, I highly doubt that there will be any similar issues with an NA release of Pokken.

BCVM22

"Monthly Famitsu feat. Pokemon Special", as in a Monthly Famitsu special, featuring Pokémon. It has nothing to do with Pokémon Special.

Well I do think you're right about that. But shouldn't they release it on the Wii U as soon as possible?

If it's not coming to arcades until 2015, late 2015/early 2016 for a Wii U release may well be "as soon as possible".

Akashin

and i never expected a new game since oras is in development
its not unreasonable at all imo

And yet in spite of that, it's been said (to you, if I recall) several times that we knew well ahead of time that this would be a game announcement.

I think somebody also said at some point that the actual Japanese wording didn't suggest a relation with the Manga too, but I can't confirm that.

RzK

Meow
"Monthly Famitsu feat. Pokemon Special", as in a Monthly Famitsu special, featuring Pokémon. It has nothing to do with Pokémon Special.

If it's not coming to arcades until 2015, late 2015/early 2016 for a Wii U release may well be "as soon as possible".

IMHO by then, Gen 6 will have been old, people will bash it for not having stuff from the then-new Gen 7 games and Wii U will probably have been totally forgotten. I hope I am proven wrong though,and Zelda WiiU and SSB revive the WiiU.

BCVM22

IMHO by then, Gen 6 will have been old, people will bash it for not having stuff from the then-new Gen 7 games and Wii U will probably have been totally forgotten.

It is improbable that either of these will be the case. As far as Pokémon is concerned, at worst we'll be in a lull between Generation VI and Generation VII where the core titles are concerned; in that scenario, Generation VI will not yet be "old" and there won't yet be any "stuff from the then-new Gen 7 games" (or at least not an appreciable amount of material) for people to complain about being absent. Hardware-wise, Wii U is not going to go from where it is now - not an optimal place to be, to be sure - to "totally forgotten" in less than two years.

Trevenant

Banned
It will not be "the game to compete with" in any sense.
Considering from SSB Wii U to Pokken the Wii U will likely be boasting its usual "no fighting games" thing... yeah. It will be competing with it.

Although Nintendo once again screwed that up because the 3DS comes out months earlier and there's few version differences.

which wasn't leaked.
Then it comes off as even more of a foolish move that they called this "surprising" and "shocking".

Please DO show me how Tekken is a top-seller. :)

because if not it would basically be Tekken with a Pokemon skin.
Considering that's all the Tekken crossover games were with Street Fighter... yes, it is safe to say this.

by that time SSB4 popularity will fade.
Too bad 14 years after its release SSBM still has more players than the latest yearly installment of Tekken but whatever.

Also a fun-fact:
Dutch profanity:
Pokke(n) (correctly spelled "pokken") is a slang word for smallpox. It can be used as an adjective or as an adverb.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Ah, so an arcade game that may or may not get a non-arcade release later. I was right to not put too much expectation in this. Guess I'll just move on and continue waiting for Smash Bros. and OR/AS for the time being.

Also, are Luke and Mach the confirmed characters right now? And is that...Lucario... Mega evolving at the very end?

Way back when we were originally teased about this, they showed Lucario and Blaziken, so Blaziken is more or less confirmed too.

BCVM22

Considering from SSB Wii U to Pokken the Wii U will likely be boasting its usual "no fighting games" thing... yeah. It will be competing with it.

Flawed logic. Two games of similar genre - potentially not even identical genres, given that Super Smash Bros. is far from a traditional hardcore fighting game, though to be fair we don't yet know how much of one Pokkén will be - released a year-plus apart don't compete with each other solely on that basis.

Then it comes off as even more of a foolish move that they called this "surprising" and "shocking".

Not even remotely. Are we comparing one screenshot over a year ago to a full reveal? Keep in mind the name was never officially made public either - we got it from trademark trawling, as we so often do.

Please DO show me how Tekken is a top-seller. :)

Tekken is a known name brand in the medium and the Pokémon tie-in isn't going to hurt it a bit. It isn't a matter of "top seller", it's a matter of "can we make a quality piece of software merging the elements from two otherwise unrelated franchises"? What do you think Pokémon Conquest and Hyrule Warriors are? Neither Nobunaga's Ambition nor Dynasty Warriors are "top sellers" and they're respectively even less of a commodity internationally than Tekken is. The former sold just fine and we'll see where the final worldwide numbers fall on the latter, but the point is that they were both made and both given international support and releases. Trying to boil the matter down to a single sentence in the vein of "Please DO show me how Tekken is a top-seller" misses every point entirely.

Floette

Fennekin
I'm disappointed that its a Japanese arcade release. I was hoping for a Wii U international release if it had to be Pokken Fighters. It could be a quality spin-off but they really didn't show much and we have what, three confirmed characters? I guess the main series installments of OR/AS will have to be enough to keep me satisfied in the meantime.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I expected the announcement to revolve around Pokken or even that Pikachu Detective game. The trailer looks great, I'll admit, and I definitely want to see more. But for the time being, it seems appropriate to push this game for later, past Smash Bros. and ORAS. That way I can save money, especially, but there's no doubt people want this game on the Wii U.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Don't forget guys that Ishihara said, during the interview, that it's coming to arcades first. As such, that implies it will come out on other platforms.

As Pokémon is a Nintendo property, that means it'll be on Wii U, 3DS or their successors, depending on release time, so most likely 3DS & Wii U.

All Namco fighting games are released on arcade first. Below is a list of the times between arcade launch and console launch

Tekken 6: 1 year (The console version was based on a new arcade version of Tekken 6 that came out a year after the initial arcade launch)
Tekken 5: 3 months
Tekken 4: 8 months
Tekken 3: 1 year
Tekken 2: 7 months
Tekken 1: 4 months
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 1 year
Tekken Tag Tournament 1: 9 months

Also, it's not Japan only else The Pokémon Company International wouldn't be advertising it.

Status
Not open for further replies.