• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokkén Tournament sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiloticTwins

Pokkén Tournament sequel?

Do you think that there will be a sequel to Pokkén Tournament for the Nintendo Switch and/or video arcade machines? That's because Pokkén Tournament has become the best-selling Wii U video game. If not, please tell me the reason. Thanks. ;)

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'd be shocked if we don't get one. I get Pokemon psinoff games have been meh in the last few years but pokken was a good one and to not see another one would be a bit stupid.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I could definitely see a re-release or a sequel to Pokken on the switch. I'm hoping for some Alola Pokemon to make an appearance; they added a lot of humanlike Pokemon that could transfer easily. Tsareena and Pheromosa could potentially be Pokken's version of Anna and Nina Williams, and Xurkitree could be similar to Voldo.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I remember seeing an interview with a member of staff stating "We make games like Dungeon and Pokken Tournament...". This suggests to me that a sequel to Pokken is pretty likely, probably on the Switch or something. I'd like to see it happen regardless, since the Wii U version missed the update characters and considering the Wii U itself is pretty much dead at this point, a rerelease on the Switch with the extra content or a sequel is welcome.

Last edited:

c1234

Trainer Since '98
I am still over here waiting for the new characters on the Wii U. A Switch version would be disappointing for 2 reasons: neglecting those that bought the game and supported it on Wii U, and the fact that I have no intentions of buying a Switch right now.

Aquablast

Fake Administrator
Do you think that there will be a sequel to Pokkén Tournament for the Nintendo Switch and/or video arcade machines? That's because Pokkén Tournament has become the best-selling Wii U video game. If not, please tell me the reason. Thanks. ;)
Pokkén Tournament was successful on the Wii U, despite coming at the end of its life cycle, but it was not the best selling Wii U game. According to Nintendo, Pokkén Tournament is not in their top 10 Wii U sold list. VGChartz, not the most creditable source but the best I have, estimated Pokkén Tournament sold 1.3 million units, which would it #15 on their list. I think it was the best selling Wii U game of 2016 though. :p

I think Pokkén Tournament will come to Nintendo Switch. Darkrai, Scizor, Croagunk, and Empoleon still have not came to the Wii U version, so I feel they are going to pull a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with Pokkén Tournament. They are clearly letting money sit on the table if they do not port it to the Switch. I would love to see some Alolan Pokémon in this game. I do not think we are getting a new original Pokkén Tournament anytime soon. I assume the team who worked on Pokkén are working on Tekken 7, so it will be a while until we get a new entry.

Sabre_King

I am mad hyped for the new edition on the switch. Glad the new arcade fighters are being added, but my biggest surprise was Decidueye. This was my favorite starter in S/M and to be played as a playable fighter makes me even more happier. I will still hope for the possibility of at least a couple more surprise fighters, but as it stands the roster is just perfect. Again the hope for several more fighters representing Gens 5-7 would be great, and the new 3v3 battles sounds interesting as well and I cannot wait to see how its implemented.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Looking forward to playing Pokken on the Switch. Lacked a Wii U and it looks hella fun to play, especially since now all the characters are here.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I've never played Pokken Tournament before so I might pick this up. It does look fun but it will mostly depend on how much I can do offline as I'm not big on playing against other players. Decidueye looks fun to play though.

Sabre_King

I've never played Pokken Tournament before so I might pick this up. It does look fun but it will mostly depend on how much I can do offline as I'm not big on playing against other players. Decidueye looks fun to play though.

Pokken does have a sort of story mode you can try, but its really a league where you face opponents. The game is quite fun being able to control the pokemon and fighting with them, adding the 3v3 mode honestly gives a better access to developing a team, whereas the Wii U version only had 1v1.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed about this. I said this in another thread recently, but Pokken was a game with great potential, but it just didn't quite live up to it. I think that a sequel would have a chance at living up to this potential, but an expanded port won't. And really, nothing about that trailer convinced me that this is something I already need to buy when I already have Pokken on Wii U. Five new characters is nice, but it's just not enough. Oh well, hopefully we'll see a real sequel sometime.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Depends what the price tag is.

I fully expect a full RRP but it would be nice if it's cheaper for those that got Wii U. Could then been seen as DLC for (1) gaming on Switch (2) new characters and modes.

But yeah, it must suck at times being the owner of a Wii U.

Vipsoccermaster

Depends what the price tag is.

I fully expect a full RRP but it would be nice if it's cheaper for those that got Wii U. Could then been seen as DLC for (1) gaming on Switch (2) new characters and modes.

But yeah, it must suck at times being the owner of a Wii U.
Yeah, it will likely be at full price. A shame, indeed, but it is what it is. It's just like the treatment Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had, although Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was cheaper and more content than the original, since there's the additional $12 for the DLC packs in the Wii U version. Both versions of Pokkén Tournament will be $59.99, but Pokkén Tournament DX has more content for the same price.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I think there should be a few new characters alongside the arcade characters and Decidueye.

Immediate ones that spring to mind are Incineroar and Hawlucha. Can't think of one right now that would round it up to 24.

Sabre_King

I think there should be a few new characters alongside the arcade characters and Decidueye.

Immediate ones that spring to mind are Incineroar and Hawlucha. Can't think of one right now that would round it up to 24.

Either Lycanroc form would do, it has been a popular pokemon from gen 7, plus it could help represent the rock type pokemon.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Honestly, what ruined Pokken for me was the serious lack of diversity among the playables. Most of the characters play pretty much the same. Also, did we REALLY need Gardevoir, Blaziken, Braixen, Sceptile, Garchomp, Lucario, Weavile, Darkrai, Scizor, Deucideye and TWO different types of Mewtwos in the same game, when there's more to Pokemon than frail-*** stick figures? Even a few of the remaining characters are ****ing spindly, with Gengar, Charizard and Empoleon being the only real diversity in the roster. (Two Pikachus?) If they make a new game: I will not accept the gross oversaturation of anorexic Pokemon like in this one.

MiloticTwins

Well, guys? Did you think that the Switch-exclusive deluxe version of Pokkén Tournament sold very well? If not, please tell me why not?

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Not sure about sales, but I've been telling a lot of my Switch-owning friends about this game. Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild both featured 3D movement and exploration, and though it's a much more difficult comparison Pokken has something similar in the context of Field mode. It's neat to see the concept applied to different genres - Odyssey was a "3D platformer", BotW was a "3D adventure" and Pokken is a "3D arena fighter".

Also it's a nice "first Pokemon game" for people who aren't familiar with the series or aren't a fan of it - it stands on its own rather than depending on an intimate knowledge of the main game mechanics, etc. So I really hope it sells well and we get a sequel based on future generations :)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I can't find much regarding sales figures. I did find this link (http://nintendoeverything.com/pokken-tournament-dx-sold-through-41-of-its-initial-shipment-in-japan/) that says they sold out only 41% of initial shipments in Japan.

But then again, this site says the game was #1 in Japan https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/pokken-tournament-dx-debuts-number-1-japan/

Does anyone have any more concrete numbers?

Mediate Create is the top company for entertainment analyses in Japan, especially for video games, so that's where you should go for the most accurate data.

According to the official Media Create site, Pokkén Tournament sold a little over 11,000 units last week in Japan, making it the 18th biggest sale that week. That's all I could find directly from them, but I will say that's a pretty low turnout, though as been a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.