• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokkén Tournament - Time to do a Second Take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
imagine ditto being a playable character without using transform

like imagine it

just imagine it

anyway p sure char-x receives all the love because he's gotten the most attention. I mean remember when he was announced? everybody was super hype about charizard finally being part dragon.

R_N

like imagine it

just imagine it

anyway p sure char-x receives all the love because he's gotten the most attention. I mean remember when he was announced? everybody was super hype about charizard finally being part dragon.

i feel this is saying "he has the most attention because he has the most attention"

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
It'd be nice if they got equal attention, but to be fair with this particular game...Pokken Zard appears to be more of a physical, power battler. He's got those full body tackles, the massive claw attack, ground pounding, tail slashing, etc. I think X is honestly a better match here.

Granted, he's got some Flamethrowers and whatnot in there too, but I don't think Y could pull off any of that other stuff as well.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
i feel this is saying "he has the most attention because he has the most attention"

well what i mean is that the developers and what not are giving x more attention in the games because we gave him more attention than we did y. so they most likely thought "hey they love this one more than the other, let's use it!"

R_N

well what i mean is that the developers and what not are giving x more attention in the games because we gave him more attention than we did y. so they most likely though "hey they love this one more than the other, let's use it!"

But they gave him more attention from day 1 and had things planned to use him from before people started liking it more

-Raiga-

Like others have said, it would be nice for gamefreak to try and pretend Mega Charizard Y still exists. Though I can understand, since they are seemingly picking pokemon for variety of playing styles(i.e. projectile firing gardevoir, or the hack n' slash weavile), that Charizard X differentiates itself from the original more than the Y version does.

Also yeah, I never thought of it before, but Mewtwo is like the PERFECT choice for the final boss. Not only has he had that final boss aura about him due to his movies and involvement in r/b/y, but since Pokken seems to be slightly aimed a broader audience than usual pokemon fans, I think they're picking a majority from Gen.1 pokemon for that reason.(as they are the most recognizable). Than add in the fact he has access to Mega evolution and the deal is practically sealed. I'm just hoping that it and Gardevoir don't play too similar, what with all the energy balls and stuff.

R_N

Like others have said, it would be nice for gamefreak to try and pretend Mega Charizard Y still exists. Though I can understand, since they are seemingly picking pokemon for variety of playing styles(i.e. projectile firing gardevoir, or the hack n' slash weavile), that Charizard X differentiates itself from the original more than the Y version does.

Also yeah, I never thought of it before, but Mewtwo is like the PERFECT choice for the final boss. Not only has he had that final boss aura about him due to his movies and involvement in r/b/y, but since Pokken seems to be slightly aimed a broader audience than usual pokemon fans, I think they're picking a majority from Gen.1 pokemon for that reason.(as they are the most recognizable). Than add in the fact he has access to Mega evolution and the deal is practically sealed. I'm just hoping that it and Gardevoir don't play too similar, what with all the energy balls and stuff.

I wouldn't say that the "broader audience" and "usual pokemon fans" are as exclusive as you'd think
mega evolutions had a heavy gen 1 slant, kanto's probably by far the region most referenced, i believe gen 1 grabbed most evolutions in gen 4, XY was really heavy on gen 1 stuff in general, the usual perception of gen one people

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
e2: My point was practicality leans in Mewtwo's favor and you're kind of simplfying things by saying if Mewtwo gets in its solely because of popularity

Well, Mewtwo would get in solely on popularity.

Let's not kid ourselves, here.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin

To be fair, this has nothing to do with Game Freak...

I'm glad to see that Weavile is playable, as I think Weavile is a really good Pokémon! Also, not terribly surprised, but I like Charizard, so I'm glad it's in.

like imagine it

just imagine it

No.

I can actually imagine Ditto being a Mirror Boss in the game.

Yes!

It'd be nice if they got equal attention, but to be fair with this particular game...Pokken Zard appears to be more of a physical, power battler. He's got those full body tackles, the massive claw attack, ground pounding, tail slashing, etc. I think X is honestly a better match here.

Granted, he's got some Flamethrowers and whatnot in there too, but I don't think Y could pull off any of that other stuff as well.

I do think some of that was considered when choosing which Mega Evolution to include. It seems that including Mega Charizard Y could result in a fighter with too many powerful projectile attacks, making it difficult to approach at all.

DotKU

Champion

Yeah even though we have seen Charizard X enough by now, I agree that it was probably the better fit for this. Although with its inclusion, I doubt Blaziken will get in now.

Last edited:

Illusio

No words, only rage

I don't think balance was the issue. Smash bros. had a moveset that could've easily worked for Y (Fire Blast is its signature and Dragon Rush would've worked fine on it) and yet they still skipped over it. If they wanted, they could've made a moveset that worked more with Y in mind (Y can easily use tail and wing attacks for instance), but didn't. It was just a matter of which one was the more pushed of the two.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm getting real sick of seeing Mega Charizard X in - well absolutely everything Pokemon has to offer.

It's even worse because i like Mega Charizard X but the way it's being marketed is just spoiling the fact that Mega Charizard Y even exists.

Mega Charizard X Featured in:

Pokemon Origins
Pokemon Mega Evolution Specials
Smash Bros Wii U/3DS
Legend of the King Manga
Pokken Tournament

Mega Charizard Y featured in:

Super Mystery Dungeon

---

The bias in all of this is just painful - why create Mega Charizard Y if it's not going to incorporated into the franchise? Maybe i'm just annoyed cause Y is my favourite but i like X also - so really my problem is just that one is getting all the fame whilst the other sits in the dust. The only way i'll forgive this is if Ash gets one in the Anime.

Let's be honest here. On one side we have a super awesome dragon, with an amazing design one of the coolest color pallets in all of Pokemon (how could you beat black with blue fire, how!?). On the other, we have a sort of wyvern thing with awkward features that is overall a worse design than the original Charizard. Which would you plaster on all your promotional material? Personally, I would never complain about the usage of Charizard X, because it was my favorite Mega up until the reveal of Mega Rayquaza, and is still my second favorite. When I see Mega Charizard Y on things such as the Mystery Dungeon cover, or that 3DS theme that just came out, it honestly annoys me (especially that 3DS theme, because a theme that had both Mega Charizard X and Mega Rayquaza would have been an automatic buy for me).

Anyways, if there are only eight characters (maybe nine if we count a possibly hidden Blaziken), that seems like a pretty low number. I don't know a single thing about arcade fighter games (as I have never even touched one, and this will actually be the first fighter game other than Smash Bros that I've ever played), but I would think that anything less than 15 seems small, at least for a modern-day game. As for my opinions on the characters, I feel like Pikachu, Charizard, and Lucario, and to a lesser extent, Gengar, Gardevoir, and Machamp are justified to be in this game, but I find Suicune and Weavile to be incredibly random choices. With such a small roster, I find it odd they wouldn't pick more popular Pokemon.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think foregoing popular pokemon is a much better step, which is why I feel Charizard was a bad idea.

I don't want this game to become a second Smash Bros., a mere collection of popular characters. I do hope with the console roster comes a collection of pokemon based on credibility rather than popularity. This is why I adore the sight of Suicune, Weavile, and Gardevoir. They were chosen for their uniqueness rather than their names. The same could not be said for Pikachu, Charizard, Gengar, and Lucario.

And then there's Maude Machamp.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
When you look at the character roster screen, you see a 3x3 tile set with one being random. There's however space for 3 more characters in each side which would make a total of 14 characters, which would be short for me but it would be so much better than only 8. with imo blaziken and mewtwo practically in the game there's 4 more slots (so short!). SO that means that's still potentially room for surprises but on the other hand there's a bunch of obvious contenders for those slots including the hitmons, infernape and some other fighting types. On one hand i would love to see the obvious choices in but on the other hand, suicune's inclusion makes me want the real oddball contenders to be in. Can't they just make all fully evolved pokemon playable? :p

With that said, i really how the pokemon are portrayed in the game. Sure, the color is not as vibrant, it's more akin to the tekken palette, but all the details are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.