• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokken Tournament - General Talk & Discussion of Serebii's Discoveries

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
The world championships started today, and they began with an announcement that Pokken Tournament will be coming to the Wii U Spring 2016 (autumn for southern hemisphere folk).

Serebii:
During the Pokémon World Championships Opening Ceremony, it was revealed that the arcade game, Pokkén Tournament, is to make it to the west with a special Wii U version of the game. It will release worldwide Spring 2016 and now also has Pikachu Libre added to the roster.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69p_yJQyQtc

Last edited:

Gabriel Faria

Shall we dance?
This looks really good. When the Pokémon Company CEO said they were going to announce something I was expecting Z, but I didn't got very dissapointed.

I just hope there are more playable characteres, but what we have now may be enough to convince buying the game (and a WiiU...).

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Just give me Zoroark and Lopunny and I'll get this game in a heartbeat.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I feel like now that they announced Libre Pikachu, there is little hope for Hawlucha now..

Don't lose hope! He can still make it; unlike Pikachu Libre, Hawlucha is completely original stuff.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
This announcement adds a 6th game to my list of games to buy between this year and 2016. Glad I've finally got a reason to be excited for this though. Wonder if they'll just keep announcing new Pokemon since a console release will undoubtedly have an expanded roster than the arcade releases have.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
If Pika Libre herself has to make a difference, I think some of her moves should differ to Pikachu.
-Instead of the thunder shock that acts a seeking projectile during roaming phase (3D Phase), she will have a wide AoE Shock Wave Attack that deals weak damage.
-The Obvious Flying Press that seems to fuse with Volt Tackle. Maybe her Burst Move?
-If we put the use of the move Magnet Rise, could this be her double jump extender? Similar to Peach's jumping mechanics in Super Smash Bros?
-Instead of the Thunder attack that paralyzes (Normal Pikachu's move), my guess is that she will have a thunderbolt attack that fires straight forward wherever she faces.

I could talk more, but I'm watching the Pokémon United Campion Leaguee Right now. It's so cool for both things that I'm watching now.

R_N

This looks really good. When the Pokémon Company CEO said they were going to announce something I was expecting Z, but I didn't got very dissapointed.

I just hope there are more playable characteres, but what we have now may be enough to convince buying the game (and a WiiU...).

There's probably going to be at least 4 more, since the current roster is this:
CNDZ8TeUEAAMUNn.jpg

Plus Pikachu Libre

I'm guessing one of them will wind up being Mewtwo but ideally there will be a gen 5 and a gen 6

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
so pokken discussion is here now? Well, with most likely mewtwo already being in, that leaves 3 pokemon slots left. And with all the fighting styles that could be implemented, i hope they diversify it enough. I'm still hoping for a weapon character like marowak, samurott, excavalier or farfetch'd (wouldn't that be farfetched) or a scythe/blade one like kabutops, scyther, bisharp or garchomp. I think mokkujin... no, sorry, ditto, would be a waste of a slot since the roster is thin as it is. And for the last slot i would love to see a totally unconventional fighter that would look like it doesn't belong in the game at all like ferrothorn, slowbro, or reuniclus. If they feel like putting legendaries i would love to see one of the hands for wings legendary, either lugia or yveltal. And hopefully there's a second four legged/multiple legged pokemon there. My picks would be scolipede, hippowdon, salamence, tropius or aurorus.

BTW has anyone compiled the pokemon that are on the stages (hence not eligible for a spot in the roster)?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
so pokken discussion is here now? Well, with most likely mewtwo already being in, that leaves 3 pokemon slots left. And with all the fighting styles that could be implemented, i hope they diversify it enough. I'm still hoping for a weapon character like marowak, samurott, excavalier or farfetch'd (wouldn't that be farfetched) or a scythe/blade one like kabutops, scyther, bisharp or garchomp. I think mokkujin... no, sorry, ditto, would be a waste of a slot since the roster is thin as it is. And for the last slot i would love to see a totally unconventional fighter that would look like it doesn't belong in the game at all like ferrothorn, slowbro, or reuniclus. If they feel like putting legendaries i would love to see one of the hands for wings legendary, either lugia or yveltal. And hopefully there's a second four legged/multiple legged pokemon there. My picks would be scolipede, hippowdon, salamence, tropius or aurorus.

BTW has anyone compiled the pokemon that are on the stages (hence not eligible for a spot in the roster)?

I'm pretty sure the official release will have more than 14 pokemon.

I'm guessing at least 20, but no more than 25.

R_N

I'm pretty sure the official release will have more than 14 pokemon.

I'm guessing at least 20, but no more than 25.

Street Fighter 5 isnt even getting 20 at release, I highly doubt pokken will, considering how the initial arcade release had 8 with a 9th going in and out of beta testing

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Street Fighter 5 isnt even getting 20 at release, I highly doubt pokken will, considering how the initial arcade release had 8 with a 9th going in and out of beta testing

Street Fighter reduces its roster at the start of every era, in preparation for the update games.

Pokkén Tournament is the first of a potential series. I don't think 14 would suffice. It would have 20 years ago, when fighting games were still relatively new, and roster size was irrelevant, but such is not the case today.

Last edited:

R_N

Street Fighter reduces its roster at the start of every era, in preparation for the update games.

Pokkén Tournament is the first of a potential series. I don't think 14 would suffice. It would have 20 years ago, but not today.

And it wouldn't suffice to have 8 characters in an initial arcade release (SF4 arcade had...14? persona 4 arena had 11 or 12) and yet, here we are

e: It's still really weird how Blaziken was only sort of added post-release considering it was there since the most initial teaser

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
And it wouldn't suffice to have 8 characters in an initial arcade release (SF4 arcade had...14? persona 4 arena had 11 or 12) and yet, here we are

e: It's still really weird how Blaziken was only sort of added post-release considering it was there since the most initial teaser

Pokkén Tournament had eight because it was being tested out for the very first time. They wanted to start small for the testing of the first game, which makes sense. No point in overwhelming players.

However, now that the game is ushering towards a full release, there is no reason not to have a sizable roster, especially since it is the first official release of a potential series. It would help to make a good first impression on home consoles.

R_N

Pokkén Tournament had eight because it was being tested out for the very first time. They wanted to start small for the testing of the first game, which makes sense. No point in overwhelming players.

However, now that the game is ushering towards a full release, there is no reason not to have a sizable roster, especially since it is the first official release of a potential series. It would help to make a good first impression.

That wasn't a test release that was the first release. It was always initially advertised as going to arcades in Summer 2016. Which is why it's still in arcades and will continue to be in arcades.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
That wasn't a test release that was the first release. It was always initially advertised as going to arcades in Summer 2016. Which is why it's still in arcades and will continue to be in arcades.

I don't mean a beta or alpha test, but testing the waters.

It is a 'no duh' notion that the official full release will be on console. Much like with Tekken games, the arcade version starts off small to test the waters with players, with full roster and game being released on console(s). In fact, the only fighting game series I can think of where the console versions remained mostly the same as the arcade versions is Mortal Kombat.

R_N

I don't mean a beta or alpha test, but testing the waters.

It is a 'no duh' notion that the official full release will be on console. Much like with Tekken games, the arcade version starts off small to test the waters with players, with full roster and game being released on console(s). In fact, the only fighting game series I can think of where the console versions remained mostly the same as the arcade versions is Mortal Kombat.

Okay great, the same thing is happening here

Small "to test" (I dont agree with the reasoning but lets roll with it). Thus, 8 (9) characters. And the full release will likely have 14 characters, an increase of 6 (5)

It's still more fleshed out and with a larger roster

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Okay great, the same thing is happening here

Small "to test" (I dont agree with the reasoning but lets roll with it). Thus, 8 (9) characters. And the full release will likely have 14 characters, an increase of 6 (5)

It's still more fleshed out and with a larger roster

I still feel 14 is too small, especially with such gargantuan list to choose from.

In the end, we'll just have to wait and watch as the campaign goes on. Or until the game is released.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
I'm am lowering the heck out of my expectations. I will buy the game and of course, a wii U to play it on and if they add more than 14 characters i will be amazed. Kinda like in the main series games released in the recent present, if you hype it, it will not deliver AKA battle frontier.

Darthleapyous

What i really want is alternate colours or skins for the pokemon. Or even a story mode (which is extremely unlikely, but hey)