• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokken Tournament - General Talk & Discussion of Serebii's Discoveries

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
my expectations on the roster are low but not on the game modes. If it's from bandai-namco games, i fully expect a story mode, an arcade mode and the modes that are usually present on tekken/soul calibur. Because if not, they are just selling a versus mode with pokemon, which is not worth it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wouldn't a story mode in this sort of game just be fight every opponent in the game with increasing difficulty? If it is, you could easily just do that yourself.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Wouldn't a story mode in this sort of game just be fight every opponent in the game with increasing difficulty? If it is, you could easily just do that yourself.

The story mode it's for the awesome/hilarious cutscenes. Like in tekken/soul calibur, you can have some pokemon being rivals of others or friends/enemies and some goals which could be shown on said cutscenes, which bandai-namco fighting games are known to have.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The story mode it's for the awesome/hilarious cutscenes. Like in tekken/soul calibur, you can have some pokemon being rivals of others or friends/enemies and some goals which could be shown on said cutscenes, which bandai-namco fighting games are known to have.

I've just never played a "true" fighting game before. My only experience is with Smash Bros. If there are cutscenes and an actual story beyond just fight this Pokemon, then fight this even stronger Pokemon, then I'll back the idea of a story mode.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

That sounds more like Mortal Kombat.

In Tekken, there is the Scenario Campaign, which moves more like an adventure game.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
i would love to see some ridiculous plot of blaziken wanting to open some restaurant and acting like tekken's law. The thing about tekken is that they have such a huge roster they can have so many crazy scenarios happen. But now that i'm thinking, the pokemon have trainers...that sucks for the creativity they could put in the story mode. Well, they can still make 1 specific character for each pokemon or would you fight the same trainer with different accessories? damm, story mode seems a lot more restricted than i thought they could make it.

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
[video=youtube;YqcrHmGhskw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqcrHmGhskw[/video]

Pikachu Libre is the most hilarious character in the game.
She makes me believe that this game is pure fan service for the 90s kids.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pikachu Libre is the most hilarious character in the game.
She makes me believe that this game is pure fan service for the 90s kids.

What's actually kind of funny is that instead of the normal Pikachu voice, it actually has a slightly more feminine voice. Nice attention to detail there.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
For Pika Libre, she's briging all of them to suplex city? How the heck did she buff her tail to do those super suplexes? She has Electroweb too. Great. Kinda overkilling with trapping techniques here.

Another we can see is that her attack moves are stronger, but have some lagging attack speed. Looks like she has the punch that competent players may be able to dodge. While regular Pikachu does a 4-6 hit combo for max damage, Libre herself only needs to do lots of damage with two to three hits at average. One more thing, but does it look like she has a way of "stunning" an enemy?

ZodiacXYZ

Pikachu Libre's Stone Cold Stunner on Charizard at 0:36 is brilliant! I'm looking forward to Pokken Tournament after seeing the gameplay during the invitational tournament. It's looking relatively simpler compared to other fighting games, so I'm hoping it'll be one of those 'easy to pick up, hard to master' kind of games. This video sums up quite a bit about it as well: https://youtu.be/uZzXRq3OwU0

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Now that I look at the various Youtube comments and reviews, I am curious as to how much would Pokken's introduction had differ if they showed the start of fights in traditional 2D format before the 3D Arena?

I'm certain that some of you and others see this game more akin to the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Games instead of Street Fighter or Tekken 2D platform system. Even though it will be played on both format, a part of me thinks that if Pokken Tournament battles begin in Duel Phase instead of Arena-like Phase, the reactions might had ended up being the same since most hardcore Traditional Fighting Gaming Fans find this one as an oddity like the Super Smash Btos Series as a Brawler game instead of a Fighting game.

What would be interesting is if the Wii U Pokken will give players the option to start the battle in either Duel Phase (2D platform) or Arena-like Phase without completely separating the two?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Now that I look at the various Youtube comments and reviews, I am curious as to how much would Pokken's introduction had differ if they showed the start of fights in traditional 2D format before the 3D Arena?

I'm certain that some of you and others see this game more akin to the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Games instead of Street Fighter or Tekken 2D platform system. Even though it will be played on both format, a part of me thinks that if Pokken Tournament battles begin in Duel Phase instead of Arena-like Phase, the reactions might had ended up being the same since most hardcore Traditional Fighting Gaming Fans find this one as an oddity like the Super Smash Btos Series as a Brawler game instead of a Fighting game.

What would be interesting is if the Wii U Pokken will give players the option to start the battle in either Duel Phase (2D platform) or Arena-like Phase without completely separating the two?

Wait, there's 2D fighting in this game? That's news to me.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Yes, there is 2D fighting in this game. It's deadly if you happen to be near the edge of the arena and you get shifted in the 2D plane. It's usually where the combos are done and it's easier to pummel enemies if you've cornered them. It's easier to notice if you watched the Pokken Tournament Invitational in the Pokémon World Championship Boston. (Which, by the way, showcased most of the playable Pokémon except Libre, Gengar, and Lucario, the latter two because nobody played as them)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yes, there is 2D fighting in this game. It's deadly if you happen to be near the edge of the arena and you get shifted in the 2D plane. It's usually where the combos are done and it's easier to pummel enemies if you've cornered them. It's easier to notice if you watched the Pokken Tournament Invitational in the Pokémon World Championship Boston. (Which, by the way, showcased most of the playable Pokémon except Libre, Gengar, and Lucario, the latter two because nobody played as them)

yeah, I haven't actually watched any footage from this game besides the trailers they put out before the release. I guess I should watch some. So if I understand what you're saying, the battles will litterly shift mid-fight from a 3D plane to a 2D plane? That sounds a little awkward, but also intriguing.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Actually, it's not really awkward at all. Some attacks (I forgot which types specifically, if they are the only types of attacks that can shift the perspective) will cause the shift when they hit the opponent. The shot freezes from the shift in perspective, then quickly unfreezes to have the Pokémon flying of or recovering in the new dimensional plane (2D or 3D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBBl0L3jjJg

That is the footage from the Pokémon World Championships. There's a comment that shows when each match starts for the video. You can see plenty of its mechanics in here (and strategies with the Support Pokémon too).

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
From the responses so far, I already know those. But no one answered my question.

So do you think that the Wii U Pokken will give players the option whether to play the start of the game:

a. Start in Duel Phase, then Arena Phase, and back to Duel, etc.
b. Start in Arena Phase, then Duel Phase, and back to Arena, etc. (the current gameplay stage format in Japanese Arcades)

A times, a part of me thinks that not a lot think as to which Pokémon can play a support role. But here are a few ideas:

Batch D:
Victini - Charges the Enemy with V-Create where the wielder is facing. Not effective on Arena Phase, but super effective on Duel Phase.
Sigilyph - Transfers inflicted status downs to the opposing Pokémon. Something to counter Emolga's Shock Wave. Blockable too.

Batch E:
Bastiodon - returns half the damage the enemy pokemon inflicted to the user for the last 2 seconds using Metal Burst. Think of this as a weak-counter damage return. Let's say that I'm playing as Suicune that took 200 damage from Charizard. I summon Bastiodon, and he inflicts 100 damage to Charizard. It can be blocked too since it has to be sow since, this support's slow.
Lileep - increases user's defense through stockpile by 2 stages for 10 seconds.

R_N

https://youtu.be/qAFJhtJlIBw

The halloween update(?) added a new character
Dark Mewtwo/Dark Mega Mewtwo X as a boss. Probably like Tekken's Devil Jin?

Guessing that vanilla Mewtwo/Mega X will be in the ful lgame surprising no one.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
R_N got it covered before I did.

Love the look of the new form. Would love to have that thing playable.

Attachments

• Dark Mewtwo.jpg
    Dark Mewtwo.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 42

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Are we thinking this could be a Mega Mewtwo Z for the upcoming release, or do we think this is just purely Pokken related?

Edit: I see what R_N has posted, but those spikes man! It could still be Dark Mewtwo X I suppose.

Last edited:

R_N

Are we thinking this could be a Mega Mewtwo Z for the upcoming release, or do we think this is just purely Pokken related?

It is explicitly called "Dark Mewtwo" and clearly turns into a purple, spikier Mega Mewtwo X

it certainly isn't a "Mega Mewtwo Z"