• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Poll: The Legendary Birds

Which bird is your favourite?

• Articuno

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Zapdos

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Moltres

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Generation I introduced the three Legendary Birds, also known as the winged mirages: Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Which one did you like the best? Please remember not to spam and explain your choice a bit.
I'll go with Articuno. Although I like all three of them, it looks more appealing to me than the rest. It is elegant and majestic and I like its cry in the games. I also like the dungeon you encounter it in (Seafoam Island) much better than Power Plant and Victory Road.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd say Zapdos with Moltres not too far behind. Because I liked Zapdos with its decent bulk, high Sp Attack and above average Speed, meaning it could do quite well in competitive and Moltres because I kinda like its cry (although I'll admit I like Articuno's cry too) and that it's literally on fire.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Freezer (Articuno) is my pick, mainly because I pitied it in the second Pokemon movie when it was bulled by its fellow Legendary Birds. That scene resonated with me and made me like Freezer.

Daizy

I call you honey
Definitely Zapdos since it was by far the easiest one to find. It also has amazing plumage and is based on the thunderbird from Native American legends.

PikaSnap

Joan Ranger
Articuno. Mostly because I thought it was super cool in Pokemon Snap when Pikachu can ride on its back in the Cave route.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I picked Zapdos because it was my favourite Legendary Bird to use in battle back in Gen I. Zapdos was one of my favourite team members on my original Yellow save file many years ago, since its Drill Peck & Electric STAB were really useful.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Articuno. She's so elegant, and Ice/Flying was an unusual type combo - at least back in Gen 1, it was, until Delibird came along in the next gen. The place you find her in (the Seafoam Islands) also fits her icy aesthetic.
144.png

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Definitely Zapdos since it was by far the easiest one to find.

I just realized that this is true since Fire (Moltres) is hidden deep inside of Victory Road, while finding Freezer (Articuno) involves that tedious current puzzle.

gentwoer

Articuno not only is the most majestic looking its ice typing makes it a useful trump card against Lance's dragon Pokemon

Leonhart

Imagineer
Articuno not only is the most majestic looking its ice typing makes it a useful trump card against Lance's dragon Pokemon

I used Freezer (Articuno) on my Red version team for this exact reason since I didn't think Gen I's other Ice-types were good enough.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used Freezer (Articuno) on my Red version team for this exact reason since I didn't think Gen I's other Ice-types were good enough.

There was Lapras, but she was only given out by that person at Silph Co., so you couldn't really catch one in the wild in the Gen 1 games. I never got far enough to catch the legendary birds.

(Also, how come no-one's voted for Moltres yet? I do love my big flying fire chicken. o_O
146.png
)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

There was Lapras, but she was only given out by that person at Silph Co., so you couldn't really catch one in the wild in the Gen 1 games. I never got far enough to catch the legendary birds.

(Also, how come no-one's voted for Moltres yet? I do love my big flying fire chicken. o_O
146.png
)
I actually just caught a wild Lapras in gen 1 using the Mew Glitch.

Level 7 Lapras in Cerulean City.

---

The only one of the birds I liked using was Zapdos. I either used Zapdos or Jolteon depending on the game as an electric type. I don't usually use Ice types. Although I did use Moltress in one game

Sprinter1988

Articuno. Chances were by the time I could finally surf to the Power Plant I already had Raichu or Jolteon, so Zapdos was something I caught just to say I caught it. Moltres being in Victory Road was way too late in the game on add it to my team, and by then I'd have Charizard/Ninetales/Arcanine filling the role of fire type.

Articuno came at pretty much the right time for an Ice type - Giovanni's gym was just a short way off and it made Lance so much easier to deal with.

And let's not forget the moves they each got - Articuno started with Ice Beam and Peck, and if you levelled it up once after capture it got Blizzard - perfect.
Zapdos was alright, but Thundershock does not compare to Ice Beam. Drill Peck was better than Peck and it gets Thunder the same time as Articuno gets Blizzard.

And then there's Moltres.... Peck, Fire Spin.... Leer at the same level the other two get Blizzard and Thunder... yeah, Moltres was the worst - worst level up moveset, caught waaay too late.

raichu27

Articuno. Chances were by the time I could finally surf to the Power Plant I already had Raichu or Jolteon, so Zapdos was something I caught just to say I caught it. Moltres being in Victory Road was way too late in the game on add it to my team, and by then I'd have Charizard/Ninetales/Arcanine filling the role of fire type.

Articuno came at pretty much the right time for an Ice type - Giovanni's gym was just a short way off and it made Lance so much easier to deal with.

And let's not forget the moves they each got - Articuno started with Ice Beam and Peck, and if you levelled it up once after capture it got Blizzard - perfect.
Zapdos was alright, but Thundershock does not compare to Ice Beam. Drill Peck was better than Peck and it gets Thunder the same time as Articuno gets Blizzard.

And then there's Moltres.... Peck, Fire Spin.... Leer at the same level the other two get Blizzard and Thunder... yeah, Moltres was the worst - worst level up moveset, caught waaay too late.
Zapdos can learn Thunderbolt from TM. All 3 of the legendary birds can also learn Fly and Sky Attack.

Cat's Eye Draco

Articuno, mostly due to the anime episode where it appears to lost mountain travelers and guides them to safety. Moltres runs a very close second, though. I've always loved its design, and thankfully its moveset has greatly improved since Gen I.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Articuno. Love its design and I love its moveset and it's just a wonderful Pokemon.

PsychoIncarnate

After the first time I played red or blue I never go to Seafoam island if I can avoid it. Just to get the pokemon there including Articuno after the game is over.

I don't think Articuno is worth how horrible Seafoam island is.

Sprinter1988

Zapdos can learn Thunderbolt from TM. All 3 of the legendary birds can also learn Fly and Sky Attack.
True, but Articuno just gets a superior starting move than Zapdos. Also, I'd usually used the Thunderbolt TM by the time I could catch Zapdos

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
After the first time I played red or blue I never go to Seafoam island if I can avoid it. Just to get the pokemon there including Articuno after the game is over.

I don't think Articuno is worth how horrible Seafoam island is.
Come on. At least they aren't boring, unlike most caves in Kanto.