• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Poor Monferno...

Here is my honest opinion regarding Monferno evolving into Infernape at this point:
It would have been better if the recent evolution lines went:
Chimchar - Monferno
Turtwig - Grotle
Staravia - Staraptor
It would make the Infernape evolution seem more likely am I right?

Well because of how they have left us in suspense for so long regarding Monferno, chances of it evolving before the gym are very unlikely like we had hoped before. If Monferno was rushed into Infernape, I wouldn't like that... not one bit. Though it would be reasonable for Monferno to evolve during the league (Not before, but during). Why I am saying this is that Monferno wants to show Paul it's true strength. After the devastating battle Ash had with Paul, Paul looks down on Ash and all of his pokemon more than ever. If they face each other in the league I could see Monferno evolving in either the battle before Paul's or in the battle with Paul itself. Why I am saying this is because if Ash or Monferno in this case really wanted to leave a good impression on Paul, it would have either stayed as a Chimchar the whole time to prove it's actual strength without evolution. Or it would have gone all the way to Infernape and give Ash the glory of beating Paul in battle.

adyniz

Bulbapædist
You are right !!!

Assuming you posted prior to the Gible episode, flashbacks don't count. But if you saw the Gible episode and saw Monferno in it, then okay.

However just to point out, all of Ash's other Pokemon got at least one or two appearances prior to the Gible episode starting from DP133 (fleshing their appearances out rather than a long intermission). Grotle 3 or 4. It is sad that Ash would rather use Pikachu constantly rather then sending out another one of his Pokemon. I'd even love to see a group Pokemon shot, where they're all eating but the writers haven't done that since the Ampharos and Looker episode (if we include both Dawn and Brock's Pokemon). I'd even accept those, it might not be much, but at least it doesn't look like the Pokemon is forgotten.

The problem is, a lot of people will complain if Monferno evolves without much batting, I mean it only has had one battle Electabuzz. It will get another soon but it could be another loss (it needs a few decent wins). Unless the writers are planning for Infernape to get a lot screen time under Ash, Monferno should get some much needed screen time. The problem we're faced is Monferno is likely to evolve, no one else can, or won't, or is unknown at this time. If an evolution is expected it would be better if a particular Pokemon got a lot of screen time. It is a shame Chimchar got a lot, and yet Monferno may not get that much, it's like a reversal of May's Torchic and Combusken.

You are damn right. Ash have not used his monferno from 10 episodes. He will use it in the upcoming episode and i am hoping for an awesome battle. Ash should use monferno frequently if he wants to evolve him or monferno should learn some new moves.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Well, it looks like Monferno's time is finally coming. It was in the Gible episode, and will be in the double battle episode, so I'd say it's finally time that Monferno takes the spotlight. Hopefully, at least. Looks as though Grotle's still getting a lot of screentime, though. Oh well, I really don't care about Grotle becoming the new Piplup, just so long as Monferno starts getting more screentime.

STICKTOPIA

Well, many people here think it will star vs Paul, in the League.
And by the looks of the episodes, we got bunch of useless fillers, Team Galactic and Sunnyshore Gym Match. They might throw in Flint as well.

And I would say at least, by 170, we should be at the League.
So Monferno got like 30 more episodes to go.

But something is actually interesting and weird.
Ash evolved Gligar, Turtwig, Staravia and Chimchar. In that way, and when they evolved, they didn't get used. But after a while, Gliscor got used, then Grotle and now Monferno?

Not to sound harsh, but I thought it was Staraptor's time to shine.
Since they followed the line and stuff, it's Staraptor who should be used, and then Monferno. Would be better to have Staraptor to shine now, because Monferno has lots of time to shine, vs major people. Gliscor was the star vs Byron, Grotle put up fight vs Rhyperior and Monferno will properly star vs Paul and some other dudes in the league.

So that leaves Staraptor with Volkner?

And Grotle should have won over Rhyperior, can't believe that Grotle lost.
Nah they made Staraptor look good a few times already.

STICKTOPIA

Not so many after the PokeRinger. Lost to Ursaring and lost to Abomasnow.
And they were strong, but I think that Staraptor needs some time to shine.
If it stars vs Team Galactic, I'm happy.
If not, we got Volkner, possible Flint, many one-shots in the League and possible Paul.

If Ash actually think smart this time, he won't use Staraptor vs Volkner, could be used vs Flint, but I have doubts. Can beat some one-shots in the league and can knock out Honchkrow. A little over average, I see.

While Monferno will properly get used against Volkner, not the star, hopefully.
If they met Flint, it will properly be used.
Might get sparred against the one-shot characters, just to get used vs Paul.
And will properly be the star vs Paul, because if he don't, then almost everyone will be pretty ticked off.

And that depends on if Paul and Ash is going to battle each other at all.
It defeated Paul's weavile and it was at a disadvantage.

thunderblade12

Defeating one of Paul's pokemon is a huge accomplishment IMO. He and all of the trainers that reach the league are even stronger than gym leaders undoubtably.

And I doubt Weavile's as weak as people are saying. We're only judging it based on two battles, one of which is ridiculous (the one against Cynthia's Garchomp). Weavile must win battles off screen. This is Paul we're talking about. And since they have no incentive to release another one of his pokemon since they've already set up that he's an uncaring douche and they've established that he keeps reserves with his brother.

I don't even count Chimchar's win against Ursaring. It was weakened by Pikachu, Buizel, and Staraptor beforehand. If anything it's pathetic that Chimchar still couldn't OHKO Ursaring at that point.

So yeah, I'd say Staraptor is Ash's strongest pokemon right now. It also seemed to be just as strong as Paul's Honchkrow.

Then Monferno in second place with Grotle in a close third place due to it's new energy ball absorbing thing.

Buizel in fourth due, Gliscor in 5th, and Pikachu in dead last. There's only a tiny margin separating all 6 of their power though

Last edited:

STICKTOPIA

Defeating one of Paul's pokemon is a huge accomplishment IMO. He and all of the trainers that reach the league are even stronger than gym leaders undoubtably.

And I doubt Weavile's as weak as people are saying. We're only judging it based on two battles, one of which is ridiculous (the one against Cynthia's Garchomp). Weavile must win battles off screen. This is Paul we're talking about. And since they have no incentive to release another one of his pokemon since they've already set up that he's an uncaring douche and they've established that he keeps reserves with his brother.

I don't even count Chimchar's win against Ursaring. It was weakened by Pikachu, Buizel, and Staraptor beforehand. If anything it's pathetic that Chimchar still couldn't OHKO Ursaring at that point.

So yeah, I'd say Staraptor is Ash's strongest pokemon right now. It also seemed to be just as strong as Paul's Honchkrow
I know right! It was just 2 battles! We haven't seen it in other battles! Yea Staraptor is the strongest right now.

STICKTOPIA

Well, even though Monferno haven't battle yet, sicne the fight with Electabuzz, I still think of it as the strongest. Even though it's battle vs Ursaring was pretty stupid, since it needed the help from three others to defeat it.

All I'm saying now, is that Staraptor needs some time to shine.
And even if it's filler episodes, that's good too.
Because Pikachu's battle vs Raichu is better then the battle with Wake.
Monferno got lots of time to shine, but I agree that it getting to battle vs Kotone and Kazunari is something that I can enjoy.
But if they throw shipping episodes out of nothing, then I can't see many episode where Staraptor can shine.

Because Grotle and Gliscor has shined. Buizel was the star between 3rd Gym and 5th Gym, to he came to his low point. Of course, not the star in the 5th Gym, but made an impressive fight. While Pikachu got few moments to shine, but the time he got to shine, it has been good. But a match vs Volkner is something that I want to see.

So that leaves Monferno and Staraptor. Chimchar was a big star and Staravia wasn't that big star. So they need some and everyone knows that Monferno will be the star in the league. But what with Staraptor? It can star in filler matches, but as I said, pointless shipping episodes is not good star material.
Well I'm sure all of them will shine in the pokemon league.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'm not going to deny Weavile is strong otherwise Paul wouldn't keep it on him, but i am kinda doubtful Ash will battle it at the league (assuming they fight each other since they might not) due to it's on screen track record and the fact it's been abit overused in the anime too.

Monferno had better beat Kazunari's Croconaw and Kotone's Chikorita, I don't care if it does have type disadvantage against the former either, if it loses or heck even ties with it, Ash's last slim chance at beating Paul will have gone out the window.

lucario2000

hey guys, could you tell me what the love triangle episode is?? I don't think I've watched it, is it the Gible and the power plant episode?

I think that Monferno will be the star of Volkner's battle, Monferno vs Electivire
Then he evolves and wins, either that or he evolves while training for the sinnoh league
I think that If monferno evolves he will be used a lot and be the powerhouse at the filler saga, Johto BF or something

Last edited:

thunderblade12

hey guys, could you tell me what the love triangle episode is?? I don't think I've watched it, is it the Gible and the power plant episode?

I think that Monferno will be the star of Volkner's battle, Monferno vs Electivire
Then he evolves and wins, either that or he evolves while training for the sinnoh league
I think that If monferno evolves he will be used a lot and be the powerhouse at the filler saga, Johto BF or something

I doubt Volkner will use his Platinum team. The Hoenn and Sinnoh gym leaders all used their teams from Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl so far with the exception of a few pokemon evolving. Even Candice used Medicham even though it wasn't an ice type and Juan used Wallace's team from R/S

I think they are planning some big for Monferno since they did some big foreshadowing when he was a chimchar and he went into berserk mode a couple of times.

Hihiroshi

<- Waifu
But since nobody uses there Platinium team, it's the D/P team instead, so it's going to be this, I think:

Pikachu - Grotle - Buizel - Gliscor

But still if he uses his D/P Team he will have Ambipom ( Type Advantage Maybe ? ) so he could use Monferno at his Gym regardless of what Team he uses XP.

I say that Monferno's Time is coming because he is started to get used now XD . I mean he appeared in the Gible episode and is going to appeared in DP 147, so maybe they are starting to use him a bit more now. But hey I maybe wrong and I would like to see Staraptor Taking the spotlight a little to.

thunderblade12

IMO this is what Ash will use against Volkner:

Pikachu - Just because it hasn't been used

Grotle - It's a grass type and it's only been in one gym as a Grotle

Staraptor - A surprise pokemon with a type disadvantage just like the three "surprises" Ash used against Candice. It's close combat will be effective against Ambipom

Gliscor - It needs more than it's single gym win and it should have a type advantage. Even though we've already seen that electric attacks will hurt Gliscors

Monferno and Buizel can be used against Flint and/or Jasmine

STICKTOPIA

IMO this is what Ash will use against Volkner:

Pikachu - Just because it hasn't been used

Grotle - It's a grass type and it's only been in one gym as a Grotle

Staraptor - A surprise pokemon with a type disadvantage just like the three "surprises" Ash used against Candice. It's close combat will be effective against Ambipom

Gliscor - It needs more than it's single gym win and it should have a type advantage. Even though we've already seen that electric attacks will hurt Gliscors

If he uses his D/P team i can see it like this:

Pikachu vs Raichu
Grotle vs Octillery
Monferno vs Ambipom
Gliscor vs Luxray

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
If he uses his D/P team i can see it like this:

Pikachu vs Raichu
Grotle vs Octillery
Monferno vs Ambipom
Gliscor vs Luxray

STICKTOPIA, I think we're the only two posting right now. It's kinda creepy how empty it is in the Anime forums.

But, anyway, I'm definetly thinking that Monferno's time will come around Sunyshore. It'll have a big role in battling Volkner, for sure. Here's my thoughts.

Ash vs. Volkner
Monferno vs. Ambipom (Monferno)
Monferno vs. Octillery (Monferno is recalled)
Staraptor vs. Octillery (Octillery)
Gliscor vs. Octillery (Gliscor and recalled)
Monferno vs. Raichu (Raichu)
Pikachu vs. Raichu (Pikachu and recalled)
Gliscor vs. Luxray (Luxray)
Pikachu vs. Luxray (Pikachu barely wins)

dman_dustin

Unless you want them to lose, why would that be good idea? I doubt Monferno/Buizel will do anything to Flint's Pokemon. Monferno might be able to knock out some of Jasmine's but since Jasmine has electric Pokemon I really doubt Buizel would be able to do anything, maybe a Steelix redemption but I doubt it.

I don't want Staraptor and Buizel to be in unless it's a full battle with a combination of DP Team and Platinum Team. Buizel can't afford another loss, as it's technical last win was against Fantina's Gengar. And I don't want Staraptor to lose if it will be in the gym battle. And Gliscor really needs two wins, so if Staraptor is going to be in, it would probably mean it should win against something and then lose not lose just because.

Monferno should be in the gym battle because at least every other evolution so far has a gym battle. Monferno would be without one. Just one of the reasons I hate Chimchar taking so long to evolve, before Candice would've been perfect. But no they had to keep it a Chimchar. Oh well it happened no use complaining about it.