• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Poorly Created Pokemon

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Creating the universe kind of implies it's a god. Doesn't mean god of all Pokemon, but it's still divine to an extent.

No it doesn't. Arceus just creates matter, which it does by drawing power from the Unown. All Pokémon can create matter to some extent. Are all Pokémon divine? No.

You make one singularity and suddenly everyone thinks you're a god.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
The first one that came to mind was this:

I really hate Clefable's design as well it looks so derpy.

But now that I think of it, I can probably kind of agree with this:
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but I think Dugtrio and Magneton had pretty lame designs.

And especially this.
Poliwrath. It's Poliwhirl, but now it's angry.

I tend not to hold hostile feelings towards pokémons' designs per se, but there are a few evolved forms that I find kind of cheap. Kanto seems to have a lot of them. I don't hold a grudge on designs that are simple. Being nothing but a pile of sludge or a chibi head coming from the ground is simple enough to in a way be more interesting than less. And if the unevolved form is simple, a simple evolved form that doesn't change much is at least a bit justifiable. There's not a lot of change you can do to a pokémon if you can't see its body, and a pile of sludge is a pile of sludge. Sometimes the simplicity can be so distinct that it actually makes it tough to give a cool evolution. Tangela was cool for being only a bundle of vines with boots. Tangrowth, being just a viney monster is actually duller for not being one. However, I don't think there needed to be more than one pokémon that evolved by turning from one to three, and after magnezone's release, magneton seems pretty cheaply designed in retrospect.

Though my least favourite kind of evolved form has to be the kind that's just the unevolved form with its proportions very subtly changed. I'd say if you can't tell if it's evolved or not in a child's drawing, it probably could have been better designed. Clefable fits this, as does dewgong, which I like even less because not only does it hardly change, but the change that happens is kind of dumb (why does the evolved form have a smaller horn and tusks? That just makes it a version of its unevolved form with its distinctive features toned down). But I'd say the award for lousy evolved forms has to go to poliwrath. Like Ferrodon put it, it's nothing but a frowning poliwhirl with a slightly differently-shaped belly. Really cheap design, and the fact that it gets a new type and looks so similar just makes things worse.

Now, there are a few of the gen 6 pokémon I don't love either. I try to keep an open mind about new gens, but I'll admit I was one of those people who was hoping the mewtwo thing wasn't real. Probably because I was hoping Pokémon would leave the original gen alone already. And while I don't think fennekin's design itself is a terrible design, I find it unoriginal for being the third fire type fox that exists in the pokémon universe. The eevee line meant pokémon had enough foxes period in my mind. Making another fire type one made things worse. I find froakie similar. Sure it's far from a highly unoriginal design, but there's already a water type frog, do we need two?

At least for the gen 6 pokémon there is a chance they'll either get redeeming type combinations, or evolve into more original creatures. I won't hate on them too much.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I'm not gonna say the Clink and Vanillite lines are bad designs or bad ideas because I don't. I mean, I do understand why the Pokemon exist. The one negative thing I will say about them is that I don't think either of them really warranted a three stage line. One gear into one mechanism would have been plenty. A single ice cream cone gimmick Pokemon would have been fine. But three stages of gear set-ups and different faced ice cream cones seems unnecessary. Kinda reminds me of the Magnemite line as octoboy pointed out. What was the point of Magneton when we have Magnezone? I understand that Magnezone wasn't quite the big idea back in Gen One but a magnet that evolved directly into a being like Magnezone would have made more sense than a magnet to three magnets to the same three magnets just kind of fusing.

My observation: Pokemon are creative, but some three stage lines are stretching it.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Like said before, Gen I was simple. It HAD to be simple. It's like saying why couldn't Super Mario 64 be more like Super Mario Galaxy. You have to take the context of its time.

As for the evolutions of Magnemite, Klink, and Diglett...it makes sense. Magnets are drawn to each other and more gears mean more power. Now what should Diglett evolve into? A bigger mole? It was already a teeny little bump in the ground so more moles make it tougher like how more and faster Whack-A-Moles make the game tougher. Some people don't like things too simple? Well it doesn't mean everything has to be super complex either.

I don't get why it's "bad" to have a dislike towards the Trubbish and Vanillite families. They and the Litwick family are the only Pokémon based on common items in the household(I'm pretty certain). Trubbish is okay, but Garbodor has a bit too much going on for me. If it wasn't covered in feces, had red/blue thingies, and didn't have the metal arms that somehow shoot out things, I would like it better.

As for the Vanillite, can you blame people for disliking a Pokémon based on a tasty common snack? It's like having a Pokémon based on donuts or chocolate. If you like it, cool. But people who dislike it for a good reason shouldn't be tormented by "LOLZ YU HATE TEH NEW POGEYMANZ? GENWUNNER! Phhht Charizard and Muk are soooo stupid". It's like having Hipster Pokémon fans

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I would like to start this thread for everyone to input their OPINION with a list of pokemon that look like crap to them. Remember this is a opinion thread so no 'you are so stupid how do you not like insert name here'.

you may also defend the pokemon on posts like if you don't think cofagrigus is bad then just state why. GO

Cofagrigus (by far the biggest joke ever)
Zekrom
Reshiram
Landorus (joke)
Kyurem
Tornadus (joke)
Thundurus (joke)
Hydreigon
Mandibuzz
Bisharp
Golurk (looks like a robot)
Druddigon
Mienshao
Accelgor
Mienfoo
Cryogonal
Escavalier
Vanilluxe
Reuniclus
Gothitelle
Archeops
Gigalith
Swoobat
Spiritomb
Combee

-.- I disagree with all of the above EXCEPT Gothitelle Freaky looking thing...
Cofagrigus-A Coffin where the Pharaoh inside has been disturbed or something like that...Pretty Cool.
Zekrom & Reshiram- Symbolizes the Chinese Yin & Yang in Dragon Form Very cool Concept their tails are Electrical Turbine Designed.
Landorus,Tornadus, & Thundurus-Their real forms are the Therians Bird,Serpent, and Dog like I will agree on the Giant Design in the Cloud it is weird,but the therian forms are epic!
Hydreigon-His name is a Combo of Hydra,Dragon and the German word for "Three", Drei,he is also the very first Dark/Dragon :D
Mandibuzz-He is kinda Awkward but that's what makes Pokemon, Pokemon Right? Name is a Combo of Mandible and Buzzard.
Bisharp- Him and Pawniard are based on Chess pieces which I think is very cool Concept, also I think him and Pawniard are the first Dark/Steel type.
Golurk- Based on a Golem, been a while since we have had one (Non-Legendary) I think the last one was indeed Golem :D First Ground/Ghost also!
Druddigon- I know most people say he looks like a Digimon, but He is supposed to be based on a Brutal Dragon like Monster...
Mienshao/Mienfoo- Based on a Martial Arts Kangaroo like Creature,Uses arm Flaps as it's Combat Tool, like a Whip. (My Fav Fighting Type BTW :3)
Accelgor & Escavalier- They are kind of like Fusions I guess you could say. When you trade Karrablast for a Shelmet, Shelmet gives his Armor to Karrablast, Karrablast then becomes Escavalier, Shelmet then Gets some of Karrablast's Attributes and Wallah! You have Accelgor :D Interesting Concept to Me.
Cryogonal- Snowflake based Pokemon, Kind of uses Telekinesis I would say with the Floating Ice Ball thingy's, Cool fella but not one of my Favorites I'll say.
Vanilluxe-Ice Cream on an Icicle Cone? Who says that is Awesome or what??? If your tired of using him you can eat him :D Jk xD
Reuniclus- Based on a Water bear/Cell, Water bears can survive ANY Condition, Hence his abilities Overcoat, and Magic Guard.LOVE this guy,My favorite Pokemon :D
Archeops-Based on an Archeopteryx, an Ancient Early Bird-Like Dinosaur.Very first Flying type Based Fossil Pokemon since Aerodactyl I was Excited when I saw him :D
Gigalith- Based on what happens when Compression happens near the Mantle, I think. It creates Crystals Like Diamonds,Rubies,Sapphires,etc...Very Great Concept.
Swoobat-YESSS! A Bat Pokemon that isn't Annoying!I personally Love Swoobat, Based on a Fruit Bat I think...Because Fruit bats are Friendly and Swoobat is a "Love bat."
Spiritomb- Based on Banished Pokemon Souls, Pretty dark to me, which makes him cool.
Combee- They could Improve Combee by giving him an Evolution as a Male Combee like a Wasp Guard or something Like that.
Sorry for the long list just sharing some interesting things, and my Opinions :3

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Hmm..personally i would say Ditto...

Actually I would say Ditto is one of the most useful pokemon in the Whole Pokemon Universe, You can use him to breed ANYTHING, in another useful case when you get a Foreign Ditto, and you want a Shiny It is A lot easier to get a Shiny Pokemon using the Masuda Method with a Foreign Ditto and a Pokemon, The only thing he is Useless for is in Battle I would say.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
While I like Tangrowth, I hate its design. It looks like a Tangela on steroids.

As for Arceus: Yes, I know the Christian God is not the only god in history. But if Arceus created an entire region and possibly the entire Pokemon world, then it's most likely based on a deity/god. So that means religion exists in the Pokemon world, which is ridiculous imo.
Arceus is definitely one of the lamest ideas for a Pokemon, ever. It shouldn't have been made.

Last edited:

BCVM22

But if Arceus created an entire region and possibly the entire Pokemon world,[/B

Oddly, we never see it doing this. All we know about the matter comes from an at-times unreliable encylopedia of information and some old texts.

So that means religion exists in the Pokemon world, which is ridiculous imo.

It doesn't, though. More ridiculous is spewing venom and bile on the basis of your own misconceptions.

Arceus is definitely one of the lamest ideas for a Pokemon, ever. It shouldn't have been made.

And yet it was, though it's still only definitively responsible for barely a shade of what you claim it was.

Either way, I think we should complain some more in hopes that it gets removed.

killowatt

Truly Bewildering
Has anyone mentioned Audino? It's essentially Chansey, but without any defining traits to speak of. I mean, frankly, I'm impressed with the sheer absurdity of designs like Vanillish and Trubbish, but Audino is just so... bland.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
All we know about the matter comes from an at-times unreliable encylopedia of information and some old texts.

And even then, every claim is prefaced with "is said to have..."

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Well If you look at it Dialga is the Keeper of Time, Palkia is the Watcher of Space, Thundurus Ruler of Storms, Tornadus Controller of the Winds, Landorus Peace Keeper between the Winds and Storms. Darkrai Nightmare Causer, Cresselia the Preventer of Nightmares, Heatran Volcano Controller, Kyogre The King of Seas, Groudon The King of the Core, Lugia Peacekeeper of the Three Birds(Moltres,Articuno,Zapdos) Manaphy Queen/Empress of the Sea,Phione Princess of Sea, Etc Technically Arceus wouldn't be the Creator of ALL Things, nor does he Control ALL things. :) But his design is quite Amazing imo :D

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Has anyone mentioned Audino? It's essentially Chansey, but without any defining traits to speak of. I mean, frankly, I'm impressed with the sheer absurdity of designs like Vanillish and Trubbish, but Audino is just so... bland.

Its purpose is to pretty much be hunted for a bunch of experience. How is it special beyond that? Well...Audino :p

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yayakoma, the Beldum line, Pinsir, Chespin, Sawk, Throh, Frillish, Scraggy, the Klink line, the Tepig line, all the Gen 5 Legends minus Meloetta. I could go on.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Yayakoma, the Beldum line, Pinsir, Chespin, Sawk, Throh, Frillish, Scraggy, the Klink line, the Tepig line, all the Gen 5 Legends minus Meloetta. I could go on.

Don't pretend like you didn't come on here just to bash the new Pokemon. We get it, you're different.

Volcer

Shur'tugal
Actually I would say Ditto is one of the most useful pokemon in the Whole Pokemon Universe, You can use him to breed ANYTHING, in another useful case when you get a Foreign Ditto, and you want a Shiny It is A lot easier to get a Shiny Pokemon using the Masuda Method with a Foreign Ditto and a Pokemon, The only thing he is Useless for is in Battle I would say.

It isn't 'most useless Pokemon', it is 'Poorly Created Pokemon'.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
What?! Have you ever tried using Imposter Ditto with a Choice Scarf?

It isn't 'most useless Pokemon', it is 'Poorly Created Pokemon'.
You could compare poorly created to the most useless. For example Lumineon is just your standard weak Water type with a standard movepool which doesn't differ itself much from what is similar like Wailord and both are outshined by Water types who posses more variety in general.

That along with great concepts that are poorly executed (such as Castform and Wormadam) are the only Pokemon that I find lack creativity. No less, it's still opinion and it always has been in this thread. Some with overblown reasoning but who wasn't expecting that in a thread like this?

Exactly how are Vanillish or Trubbish any more ridiculous than say Charizard, or Horsea?