• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebevan91

Honestly if he got hit by a speeding bus I wouldn't care.

Last edited:

Ke$ha

Banned
Yeah and here's the damn cover

[img139]http://www.wwd.com/images/processed/wwd/2013/07/29/landscape/01-large/page-1.jpg[/img139]

She looks like a clown and I mean that in the nicest way possible. I still wonder what the song will sound like tho. I kept thinking it would be a dance song but now Im not so sure. You just dont know when it comes to Gaga.

"Little talent"
Robin's been around for a while now (12 years IIRC).
As I read, his wife approved of this video concept (must be pretty faithful).

I'd never heard of him before BL so he must not be very successful. I think Pharrells production made the song a hit plus the raunchy video of course. I dont think any one would bother with the song if it weren't for those things.

Geekachu

You're an absolute lost cause. Despite the numerous posts refuting your horribly, horribly misguided standpoint you are still prattling on stubbornly about boobs, so let's just end this now. I guess it was never meant to be.

As for this ridiculous quote though, stop trying to make male objectification a thing.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/qipnSiW.gif[/img139]

My understanding is that 2013 seems to be the year where people are getting tired of hearing the same electro-pop songs that have been dominating from 2010-2012. Therefore, when anything "different" sounding has gotten attention, it's been blowing up (this happened with Thrift Shop earlier this year). Regardless of whether you like it or not, Blurred Lines sounds quite different to music usually played by pop radio, and once it got its limelight on The Voice, it blew up because of that.

Dude you're late to the scene. Everyone was saying this in 2012 when it became apparent that no one was really here for electropop anymore. The situation basically is that mainstream music's in a transition period where it's waiting for the next big trend to come along and dominate like electropop did from 2009-11. I mean, everyone was expecting alternative to blow up last year after the success of fun. and Gotye but nothing became of that which the R&B, funk and urban domination now would suggest.

It only takes a song like Blurred Lines to blow up and for everyone to latch onto it since they have nowhere else to go. It almost explains the one hit wonder status of Gotye; people were here for the hit and unfortunately not his discography. It will only take a few massive releases from some people to spearhead the new mainstream movement and get people fully invested in a genre again. For now, though, we'll have these one-off super hits.

She looks like a clown and I mean that in the nicest way possible. I still wonder what the song will sound like tho. I kept thinking it would be a dance song but now Im not so sure. You just dont know when it comes to Gaga.

No you're exactly right. It's designed to be like a clown and based off Pierrot appaz which fits the name 'Applause' since clowns are entertainers who live for applause. As for the song itself... I'm having some doubts as to how much I may like it but I think it's a lot more safe to assume that, after the underperforming Born This Way era, her label won't let her release a comeback single that is anything less than amazing to the heavens.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
He got his very own thread on sppf so this is probably the high point of his career.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
(And before any of you tell me I can't do that, this is what like half of you did with Call Me Maybe last summer)

THIS.

but yeah, thanks SC, for being the only one not to get absorbed in this pointless debate and offering an answer to my question. IMO what you said makes sense, and while I at first enjoyed this change during the Macklemore craze, I feel like pop music is taking the wrong direction with Blurred Lines. I kinda like its comparison to CMM, the only difference being that BL is WAYYY better than CMM IMO.

but seriously, there are some very feminist individuals in this thread, and there are others who are more nonchalant about the subject. how about we learn to accept the diversity here as opposed to blatantly verbally attacking people you express different views.

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
I think no one will remember Justin Bieber 50 years later from now on. I don't think he has made any songs that will become classics and almost all of his fans are teenage girls (not saying all are, of course).

Also, just in case some people don't know, Jon Bon Jovi (member of Bon Jovi) scolded Justin Bieber harshly for disrespecting fans by being often late from his concerts. Here's the article:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jon-bon-jovi-justin-bieber-a-hole/

I think Jovi is right and while his words are very harsh, he does have a very good advice for Bieber.

Geekachu

reeeeeallly don't want to carry on with the ot stuff but just reconsider which of y'all were getting your panties in a twist over Miley's 'We Can't Stop' while I was telling y'all to not get worked up about it. I for one have no problem liking music 'nonchalantly'; one of my favourite artists is Kanye West. I think his music's amazing but I can't deny that he can sometimes be an absolute dickwad.

I'm not posting in this thread again until something interesting in music news crops up. For one, Katy Perry is covering Elle's September Issue which disclosed that new album information is imminent.

Last edited:

Asuka

Banned
THIS.

but yeah, thanks SC, for being the only one not to get absorbed in this pointless debate and offering an answer to my question. IMO what you said makes sense, and while I at first enjoyed this change during the Macklemore craze, I feel like pop music is taking the wrong direction with Blurred Lines. I kinda like its comparison to CMM, the only difference being that BL is WAYYY better than CMM IMO.

but seriously, there are some very feminist individuals in this thread, and there are others who are more nonchalant about the subject. how about we learn to accept the diversity here as opposed to blatantly verbally attacking people you express different views.

I think some people are just stunned that a song that is essentially a rape anthem is being defended. And how can anyone compare Blurred Lines to Call Me Maybe? CMM was about a girl who wanted her crush to call her. Aside from the annoying catchiness it was actually kind of sweet. So rape anthem vs love song. Yeah I can't see any similarities.

LizardonX

Banned
We are comparing them because its so hard to get them out of ones head. I mean i didn't like BL at first but its grown on me.

Nightmareisalive

Yeah it's pretty bad when he has a list of things like that against him at an such an age. If he wasn't famous he would be in prison. He only has five years left of his career if he continues the way he is. Fans will outgrow him or realize how much of a **** he is. It sad though some fans defended him spitting on fans it really does beg the question the mental state of these fans have if they would be willing to get spit on.

rocky505

I knew this guy would turn out like this when I first heard about him.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I think some people are just stunned that a song that is essentially a rape anthem is being defended. And how can anyone compare Blurred Lines to Call Me Maybe? CMM was about a girl who wanted her crush to call her. Aside from the annoying catchiness it was actually kind of sweet. So rape anthem vs love song. Yeah I can't see any similarities.

I"m comparing them because they're both completely dominant summer smash hits that the U.S. has fallen for but I don't like them, myself.

Geekachu

This image has recently surfaced which supposedly advertises Katy Perry's third studio album to be entitled 'Prism' and due for release on October 22nd. Rumours were swelling about her performing at the VMA's so it's likely that 'Prism' will be the name of the album and the first single will probably be released shortly after the VMA awards and a possible performance.

Looks like Gaga and Perry are really going head-to-head.

Last edited:

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Hey guys, I merged Lord Scalgon's thread about Justin Beiber here, if you scroll up you'll see his post about it, so comment on it if you want. Since the merging of the threads moved some posts around, I just wanted to let you guys know so you wouldn't miss it. :)

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Can somebody please just open up a thread about the morality of Blurred Lines's lyrics in the debate section and move all of this arguing there? Thanks

As for the Justin Bieber thing - thank you, Lord Scalgon, for making a thread that expresses the views I've been thinking for a very long time. I've always disliked his music, but at the beginning he seemed like a fairly OK kid, so I didn't let my negative feelings about his music lead to negative feelings about him. But lately, even if you completely ignore his music and career, he's just become the type of person I would dislike regardless of what he does. He's insulted me as a Canadian by giving us a bad reputation, and he's insulted me as a Jewish person through that Anne Frank comment. I didn't even get on his case when he was found with marijuana because that's not a horrible thing for a teenager to be doing. But everything else on your list shows he's absolutely let teenage stardom get to his head a la Lindsey Lohan or Amanda Bynes.

(Oh, a point on your list you forgot was when he went through the entire security and check in at a London, England airport with his shirt off. Oh, and that really big one where he totally went crazy on a paparazzo and threatened to beat him up. And when he actually was charged with assaulting his neighbour.)

And to answer your question about what his Beliebers would think, this video should give you a pretty good idea (for the record, I'm not saying all Beliebers think like this, but this does give Beliebers a VERY bad image):

[video=youtube;5nTKWYvWW2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nTKWYvWW2U[/video]

Last edited:

HoennMaster

Dear God. People say One Direction fans are stupid but Bieber fans take it to a new level. I don't care if he is only 19, he's a selfish little brat. He's the only singer I truly despise. Perfect example of letting fame go to your head.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Holy ****, I just got to looking at this thread again, and Geekachu just wonderfully covered what I was going to say. 1rkhachatryan, if you still think it's about OMg the booBs, it's not. If you can't grasp what we're trying to say, then you're just hopeless.

Also, I think you don't know what sexual objectification means, so please look that up. If you do know what it is, then refer to my last sentence above.

But of course, ROBIN THICKE MADE A GOOD SONG SO HE CAN'T BE MISOGYNISTIC!!!

No I get what it's about, but part of the drama about the whole thing is that they are topless(go to youtube if you don't believe me).

Also how mod like of you to call someone hopeless when you haven't even talked to me before this post.

Actually I know full well what it means(using a women's body as a sexual object), my whole point was that they didn't do anything sexual in the video(the girls), they were just literally walking around topless.

I get the point that these people are making but I don't believe the singer meant the lyrics to come off like they did(as he himself said in a interview). He was not condoning rape in any way shape or form with the song and that is what people aren't getting. The lyrics were taken way out of context. The whole point of the song is just a sexy fun summer song, that's it. That's why it is #1. It is catchy as hell and has a good beat.

You're an absolute lost cause. Despite the numerous posts refuting your horribly, horribly misguided standpoint you are still prattling on stubbornly about boobs, so let's just end this now. I guess it was never meant to be.

As for this ridiculous quote though, stop trying to make male objectification a thing.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/qipnSiW.gif[/img139]

Dude you're late to the scene. Everyone was saying this in 2012 when it became apparent that no one was really here for electropop anymore. The situation basically is that mainstream music's in a transition period where it's waiting for the next big trend to come along and dominate like electropop did from 2009-11. I mean, everyone was expecting alternative to blow up last year after the success of fun. and Gotye but nothing became of that which the R&B, funk and urban domination now would suggest.

It only takes a song like Blurred Lines to blow up and for everyone to latch onto it since they have nowhere else to go. It almost explains the one hit wonder status of Gotye; people were here for the hit and unfortunately not his discography. It will only take a few massive releases from some people to spearhead the new mainstream movement and get people fully invested in a genre again. For now, though, we'll have these one-off super hits.

No you're exactly right. It's designed to be like a clown and based off Pierrot appaz which fits the name 'Applause' since clowns are entertainers who live for applause. As for the song itself... I'm having some doubts as to how much I may like it but I think it's a lot more safe to assume that, after the underperforming Born This Way era, her label won't let her release a comeback single that is anything less than amazing to the heavens.

Honestly though I'm not even the one who brought up the male nudity aspect of it(someone who quoted me did). All I said was that males can't be.

Well it is a thing(albeit less then female) but male objectification is a real thing. Tell me, why do you think they use shirtless guys in ads and such?? To get girls attentions for the most part. Like I said it is a thing but to a lessor extent then the female counterpart.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
S_C, if I thought this discussion were off-topic, then I would have stopped it a long time ago. We're still discussing the music and its message, and as far as I'm concerned, that's still on topic. Not all discussion about music as to have people fawning over songs and artists. As long as you make valid points about a song, artist, band, etc, in an intelligent, well-mannered way, then I've no problem with the discussion.

Edit: 1rkhachatryan, your latest post just showed that you're still missing the point. It's not about the boobs. That's why I'm okay with calling you hopeless because you're entirely missing the point of what me and others are telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.