• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiloticTwins

Come on, you guys. What are you waiting for? Reply to me, please. I'm just wondering if you have a top list of best and worst attitude songs of all time ever that I can see?

Last edited:

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
The new Carly Rae Jepsen album is pretty good while her mainstream debut only had one or two good songs.

Lorde

Banned
Carly's new album kinda slays honestly. I'm surprised that I like it given that I disliked Call Me Maybe years ago. Still waiting for R8 though and whatever Britney's album will be called.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Adele just released '25' a few weeks ago, and it's already a record breaker. According to Billboard, the album sold 3.38 million copies, blowing away the past record holder, NSYNC.
Yeah, her success is astounding. She also broke the opening-week-sales-record in her native UK (and probably elsewhere too.)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ed-no-1-xl-recordings-official-charts-company

I'm actually not all that into her music myself, but her achievements are certainly interesting. It's beyond impressive that any act is pulling in numbers like these, especially in a time of declining sales. She's managed to reach out to such a wide audience, including people who probably rarely/never buy albums otherwise.

Creyk

Yeah, her success is astounding. She also broke the opening-week-sales-record in her native UK (and probably elsewhere too.)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ed-no-1-xl-recordings-official-charts-company

I'm actually not all that into her music myself, but her achievements are certainly interesting. It's beyond impressive that any act is pulling in numbers like these, especially in a time of declining sales. She's managed to reach out to such a wide audience, including people who probably rarely/never buy albums otherwise.

I don't like her music either, but I am happy for her success. She is a very fun person.

I wonder when will Lady Gaga put out new music, it's been ages since I heard anything by her on the radio.

I wonder when will Lady Gaga put out new music, it's been ages since I heard anything by her on the radio.
Ah, yeah. If she waits too long, an extended absence could definitely work against her in terms of scoring big hits (though she could tout it as a "comeback.")

I never checked out Cheek To Cheek, and ARTPOP was pretty hit-or-miss for me (the highlights being "Aura", "Do What U Want", "Swine", "Gypsy", and "Applause.") It's cool that made an album like Cheek To Cheek, but I hope we get to hear modern pop from her again at some point. When she did it well, she did it SO so well ("Just Dance", "Paparazzi", "Bad Romance", "Telephone", "Dance In The Dark", "The Edge Of Glory"...among many other gems from TF/TFM and BTW.)

Bananarama

The light is coming
I'm really looking forward to a Gaga comeback. I thought that Artpop was a good record, but I didn't quite enjoy Cheek to Cheek as much. I don't really think that she's meant to make jazz music.

Also, am I the only one who misses Kesha? I really hope this drama with Dr. Luke will end soon so Kesha can gain control of her career again.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Ah, yeah. If she waits too long, an extended absence could definitely work against her in terms of scoring big hits (though she could tout it as a "comeback.")

I never checked out Cheek To Cheek, and ARTPOP was pretty hit-or-miss for me (the highlights being "Aura", "Do What U Want", "Swine", "Gypsy", and "Applause.") It's cool that made an album like Cheek To Cheek, but I hope we get to hear modern pop from her again at some point. When she did it well, she did it SO so well ("Just Dance", "Paparazzi", "Bad Romance", "Telephone", "Dance In The Dark", "The Edge Of Glory"...among many other gems from TF/TFM and BTW.)

Honestly, I think she's done in the popular music scene, in any case, past her peak. The world has moved on.

I'm really looking forward to a Gaga comeback. I thought that Artpop was a good record, but I didn't quite enjoy Cheek to Cheek as much. I don't really think that she's meant to make jazz music.

Also, am I the only one who misses Kesha? I really hope this drama with Dr. Luke will end soon so Kesha can gain control of her career again.

When your main selling point (the overtly sexual extravaganza) is not a unique selling point anymore (heck, when even Taylor Swift starts wearing latex..) than what remains are mediocre, catchy pop-tunes. If she decides to take a different route, than more power to her. If she wants to do jazz, she certainly can. I'm not expecting any hits like Just Dance, Paparazzi or Bad Romance anymore.

But hey, look at Adele. You only need a few great songs and one big trucking marketing campaign to make a big comeback. 25 is not a revolutionary album, compared to her earlier work. Honestly, every talkshow discussed 25, prior to release (Adele's back!/Hello), at release (few samples/when we were young) and shortly after release (what are the best tracks and how do they compare to earlier hits) here in the Netherlands. Not to mention that the BBC was more than willing to help her in marketing.

EDIT: Holy crap, only 10 minutes after posting, Kesha is on my tv, yelling timber.. creepy..

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
What ever happened to Kesha? Last I heard she was suing someone but I kind of expected her to release new music soon cuz she hasn't had an album out in 3 years I think. ^^;

Bananarama

The light is coming
What ever happened to Kesha? Last I heard she was suing someone but I kind of expected her to release new music soon cuz she hasn't had an album out in 3 years I think. ^^;

Kesha accused her producer Dr. Luke of assault, and they're in a big legal battle right now. Dr. Luke pretty much controls Kesha's career via contract, and he won't let her officially release new music unless the contract somehow expires.

I really feel bad for Kesha, and I hope everything goes well for her, not just for her career, but for her as a person. She's been going through some pretty bad situations like rehab, etc., and I hope she can come back better than ever eventually.

state of grace

carlegend slae jepsen's e•mo•tion is still destroying me even to this day. literally the greatest album ever. and the fact that she found a place on the most acclaimed albums of the year among #indie albums too<3 whew, what a queen

carlegend slae jepsen's e•mo•tion is still destroying me even to this day. literally the greatest album ever. and the fact that she found a place on the most acclaimed albums of the year among #indie albums too<3 whew, what a queen
Ah, how I LOVE Carly! Tug Of War, Kiss, and E•MO•TION are all divine - the last two bursting with pop perfection. <3 <3 <3

Bananarama

The light is coming
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds Carly Rae Jepsen really overrated? I think her music is alright, but it's nothing to really rave about, at least for me. That would be Adele or Britney ;)

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds Carly Rae Jepsen really overrated? I think her music is alright, but it's nothing to really rave about, at least for me. That would be Adele or Britney ;)
Ha, well...considering she's only had 1 big hit (most people have probably already forgotten about "Good Time", which wasn't exactly massive anyway)...and her albums haven't sold very well (at least not in the US)...I don't think you're the only one who thinks she's not all that. ;)

She has her fervid fans (myself included, obvobvobv), but she really hasn't had much mainstream success at all (apart from CMM.) IRLY barely scraped the Top 40 in the US.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Ha, well...considering she's only had 1 big hit (most people have probably already forgotten about "Good Time", which wasn't exactly massive anyway)...and her albums haven't sold very well (at least not in the US)...I don't think you're the only one who thinks she's not all that. ;)

She has her fervid fans (myself included, obvobvobv), but she really hasn't had much mainstream success at all (apart from CMM.) IRLY barely scraped the Top 40 in the US.

I agree, CMM is pop perfection, but I think she really needs a bit more success in order to prove her status, at least for me. Other than that, I still think she's awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.