• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
All right, the old thread has been around for 2 years, so it’s about time we make a new one. Obviously, anything related to pop music goes here, so discuss away. 2013 is here, so will we see any new interesting artists rise up and steal the spotlight? Grammy awards are coming up, are any of your favorite artists nominated? Will Lady Gaga finally leave her kooky costumes behind? Will Adele provide tissue paper with her new album? Only time will tell. 2013.

[img139]http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/025.gif[/img139]
Seen here: Pikachu rocking out, yo

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Well, starting things off, here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 coming out later today (dated January 12th):

1. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (=)
2. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (+2)
3. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (-1)
4. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (-1)
5. "Beauty And A Beat" - Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj (=)
6. "Gangnam Style" - Psy (+13)
7. "Die Young" - Ke$ha (-1)
8. "One More Night" - Maroon 5 (-1)
9. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (=)
10. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (=)

Also, just to show how massive the Christmas week sales are (Billboard reported that this Christmas week was the biggest sales week EVER), here's the digital Top 10 with their sales numbers:

1. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (582,000)
2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (497,000)
3. "Gangnam Style" - Psy (400,000)
4. "Beauty And A Beat" - Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj (372,000)
5. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (365,000)
6. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (304,000)
7. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (304,000)
8. "Die Young" - Ke$ha (299,000)
9. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am. ft. Britney Spears (285,000)
10. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (281,000)

parasky

This is great that it's been #1 for about three weeks. Beats when Sexy and I Know It was 1# at least.

Wow. Didn't expect that. I'm still crossing my fingers that it'll finally get to the top of the charts.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Well, starting things off, here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 coming out later today (dated January 12th):

2. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (+2)
3. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (-1)
4. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (-1)
5. "Beauty And A Beat" - Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj (=)
7. "Die Young" - Ke$ha (-1)
8. "One More Night" - Maroon 5 (-1)
9. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (=)
10. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (=)

Also, just to show how massive the Christmas week sales are (Billboard reported that this Christmas week was the biggest sales week EVER), here's the digital Top 10 with their sales numbers:

1. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (582,000)
2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (497,000)
3. "Gangnam Style" - Psy (400,000)
4. "Beauty And A Beat" - Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj (372,000)
5. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (365,000)
6. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (304,000)
7. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (304,000)
8. "Die Young" - Ke$ha (299,000)
9. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am. ft. Britney Spears (285,000)
10. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (281,000)

all I see from this list is that taylor swift owns the world... that, and psy perhaps could be in the top 10 for eternity

HoennMaster

I really can't believe that Home is continuing to sell this well even though it was released so long ago. And damn T-Swizzle. IKYWT is still not my favorite of hers or the album but it has grown on me...but I still can't believe how well it is actually doing.

Apparently 22 is the next single from Red although I've heard it's just a single for the UK. Still hoping for Red to be a single.

Meanwhile, it's all rumors but there have been rumors that Queen Brit Brit might be dropping a single as early as June.

Geekachu

Finding this and the fact that Silent Conversation reminded me of Of Monsters and Men's "Little Talks" made me want to restructure my best of list:

15 - Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness
14 - Nelly Furtado - Big Hoops (Bigger the Better)
13 - Rudimental - Feel the Love
12 - Santigold - Fame
11 - GOOD Music - Mercy
10 - fun. ft. Janelle Monae - We Are Young
09 - Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
08 - Azealia Banks (ft. Lazy Jay) - 212
07 - Kimbra ft. Mark Foster - Warrior
06 - Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools (Drank)
05 - Solange Knowles - Losing You
04 - Frank Ocean - Thinkin Bout You
03 - Azealia Banks - 1991
02 - Gotye - Bronte
01 - Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

Moving on from 2012...

Meanwhile, it's all rumors but there have been rumors that Queen Brit Brit might be dropping a single as early as June.

Y'all won't hear it over the sound of ARTPOP.

In all seriousness quite a few people are releasing next year: Beyonce, Gaga, Britney, Katy and most probably the queen of releasing, Rihanna, so I think that 2013 could prove to be a much more interesting year for mainstream pop than 2012 was. I think Beyonce, Gaga and Britney will achieve the most commercial success, the former having massive promo and all three (I reckon) will be pursuing a commercial sound. Katy's rumoured to be working with M83 which could be interesting, and Rihanna's probably going to flop.

It's all to look forward to.

HoennMaster

I will....at home in my Britney shrine. Kidding.....sort of.

I really hope Beyonce does well this time. I seem to be the odd one out by I just never got into "4" outside of Love On Top. Katy, dear lord I forgot she was even releasing...she better hurry while her streak is still hot lol. I just hope we don't see such a long era like Teenage Dream. Love that album but two years in insane. I just hope ARTPOP is different from Cake Like Lady Gaga.

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I dunno, I'm not as sure that "ARTPOP" will be such a commercial success as everybody else seems to be. I'd love to be proven wrong and I really hope that it does become one of her biggest eras, but I think that not releasing anything in all of 2012 kind of hurt her. She's gone from building up hype for her next release to slowly being forgotten. Aside from the Monsters and the major pop music followers, a lot of people don't really care about Gaga anymore because of how quiet she's been. Plus, apparently she said that "ARTPOP is risky", so if she doesn't end up releasing a super radio friendly first single - and by the sounds of it, she might not - she could be in a bit of trouble, especially considering there are a lot more radio friendly artists releasing during the year.

Even if you look past all the promotion Beyonce is gonna get, I still think her next era will be bigger than the "4" era simply because she can't really go much smaller. The album itself sold nicely, but the singles that were released from it were all commercially unsuccessful. The debut single didn't make it into the Top 20, and out of all the singles she released from the album, the only one that went Top 20 was "Best Thing I Never Had", and I don't think that even made it to Top 15. This next era will feel like Beyonce's "real" return, which could work really nicely for her (plus the bucket loads of promotion she's getting).

I'm actually enjoying a break from Katy after her music wouldn't go away in 2011/early 2012, so I think the best thing for her would be to release an album late this year as opposed to early on. I'm sure that she'll get major radio hits regardless of when she releases, but a single released early in the year may have less longevity than one released later on.

(Also, has anyone noticed that Katy's charting in 2011-2012 was very similar to Gaga's in 2010-2011? Gaga in 2010 produced a bunch of major hits, then in 2011 she got a #1 debut that had very little longevity and then had one somewhat big hit, TEOG. Katy in 2011 obviously dominated, but then debuted at #1 with POM in 2012, which had a similar run to BTW, and then Wide Awake was a decent sized hit like TEOG. Doesn't really mean anything, but it's an interesting coincidence)

"Scream & Shout" and X Factor have gotten all the Britney fans excited, so I'm sure her return will be really big. I don't see her being the biggest out of all the artists releasing this year, but I see her being pretty big.

No comment on Rihanna, she releases too often for me to care.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I'm waiting for Cher to release Woman's World as a single and the MV.

Her label is awful smh.

Mawile412

Problem
I dunno, I'm not as sure that "ARTPOP" will be such a commercial success as everybody else seems to be. I'd love to be proven wrong and I really hope that it does become one of her biggest eras, but I think that not releasing anything in all of 2012 kind of hurt her. She's gone from building up hype for her next release to slowly being forgotten. Aside from the Monsters and the major pop music followers, a lot of people don't really care about Gaga anymore because of how quiet she's been. Plus, apparently she said that "ARTPOP is risky", so if she doesn't end up releasing a super radio friendly first single - and by the sounds of it, she might not - she could be in a bit of trouble, especially considering there are a lot more radio friendly artists releasing during the year.

I'm pretty sure that almost anything Gaga releases will be successful at this point in her career. She has a really dedicated fan base, and there has been a bunch of articles lately about how ARTPOP is the most anticipated album of 2013. :) I just wish she would give us some dates, like when the album and lead single will be released. With all of the amazing producers that will be working on ARTPOP (Zedd, Madeon, DJWS, RedOne, etc.), I'm really hoping that the lead single will be a great song. Most of her other singles have been radio friendly (besides Judas, kinda), and I think her next one will be too. That is, unless it's the rumored song Burqa, which could be really bad for her image just because of the name. Then again, we don't really know what anything sounds like at this point.

HoennMaster

Radio-friendly doesn't mean much sometimes (Marry the Night).

Since Gaga isn't Rihanna, ARTPOP won't be out til at least April. Even if ARTPOP singles failed for some reason she's got touring. Born This Way Ball has sold out every show minus the South American shows (before discounts that it). Hell, look at Madge. MDNA did well at first but singles most failed to impress but the MDNA tour quickly became her second biggest tour.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Towards the end of the last thread, Geekachu posted a list of the major Grammy nominations, but the thread got closed before a real discussion about it could start, so I thought I'd bring it here:

Geekachu said:

Record Of The Year

Lonely Boy - The Black Keys
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson
We Are Young - Fun. featuring Janelle Monáe
Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye Featuring Kimbra
Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift

Album Of The Year

El Camino - The Black Keys
Some Nights - Fun.
Babel - Mumford & Sons
Channel Orange - Frank Ocean
Blunderbuss - Jack White

Song Of The Year

The A Team - Ed Sheeran, songwriter (Ed Sheeran)
Adorn - Miguel Pimentel, songwriter (Miguel)
Call Me Maybe - Tavish Crowe, Carly Rae Jepsen & Josh Ramsay, songwriters (Carly Rae Jepsen)
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Jörgen Elofsson, David Gamson, Greg Kurstin & Ali Tamposi, songwriters (Kelly Clarkson)
We Are Young - Jack Antonoff, Jeff Bhasker, Andrew Dost & Nate Ruess, songwriters (Fun. featuring Janelle Monáe)

Best New Artist

Alabama Shakes
Fun.
Hunter Hayes
The Lumineers
Frank Ocean​

So, my personal comments:

Record Of The Year
With the exception of WANEGBT (where I simply cannot explain why the hell it's in this category), the songs in this category are all pretty good. Despite that, I think it's almost guaranteed that STIUTK will take this award. It was something different this year, it has a unique sound, and it was the biggest hit of the year.
My Choice: "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra
My Prediction: "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra

Album Of The Year
Ooh, this is tough. While I've only listened to Some Nights and a bit of Babel, I've heard good things about all the albums in this category, so I really don't know who to choose here. Just based on how Bon Iver was the surprise winner of the Grammys last here, I'll go with Jack White.
My Choice: "Some Nights" - Fun.
My Prediction: "Blunderbuss" - Jack White

Song Of The Year
While The A Team could pull a surprise here, I think it's pretty clear that WAY has got this category. CMM and Stronger are too poppy and I just can't see Adorn winning a Grammy.
My Choice: We Are Young - Jack Antonoff, Jeff Bhasker, Andrew Dost & Nate Ruess, songwriters (Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe)
My Prediction: We Are Young - Jack Antonoff, Jeff Bhasker, Andrew Dost & Nate Ruess, songwriters (Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe)

Best New Artist
Another tough category. I have no idea who Alabama Shakes is and Hunter Hayes seems like a pretty basic young country star, so for me this boils down to Fun., Frank Ocean and The Lumineers. I've noticed that almost all the time, this category ends up being won by a less popular act, and I've heard good things about Frank Ocean, so I think he may take it.
My Choice: Fun.
My Prediction: Frank Ocean

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Okay, it's catch-up time, part 1. I'm looking forward the most beyonce's comeback only because she is truly the best ever; her voice is an incomparable godsend and her songs have made their home in my heart, except for 4. but i believe she can do great this year if she goes back to her halo/sweet dreams sound. and hey! i still like rihanna so i want her to do good. i still think "S&S" is atrocious so I'm hoping britney doesn't follow that pattern. i actually thought her music from 2 years ago? was really catchy, like "i wanna go", but changing her voice so that it's unrecognizable is just ridiculous. I'm kinda worried about katy perry. to say that she could outdo TD is unrealistic to me, only because it gave unprecedented achievements for katy; she broke the record for female artist with most #1‘s in an album, and i doubt she can do that again.

I'll give my not-so-great opinion of the Grammy's next time, when real life isn't eating up my time

Ruby Blue

I don't care for the Grammys, it's nice that they gave Bey 16 of them, but I wouldn't mention it in a fan war. I just think they're a sham, especially last year; snubbing good efforts and hopping on the Adele bandwagon.

Plus they give Bey's worst albums all the awards? DIL & IASF get 5 and B'Day 1?

I really hope Beyonce does well this time. I seem to be the odd one out by I just never got into "4" outside of Love On Top.

Okay, it's catch-up time, part 1. I'm looking forward the most beyonce's comeback only because she is truly the best ever; her voice is an incomparable godsend and her songs have made their home in my heart, except for 4. but i believe she can do great this year if she goes back to her halo/sweet dreams sound.

Except its clearly her best album. God, that album is the reason I bacame a Beyhive, its such a shame that its worst song was its most succesful...

4 > B'Day > IASF > DIL >>>>>> B'Day Deluxe Tracks.

RickHoenn

Banned
Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 (Week of January 19, 2013)

1. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (5th week at #1)
2. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (+1)
3. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (-1)
4. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (=)
5. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (+5)
6. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (+3)
7. "Beauty and a Beat" - Justin Bieber f/ Nicki Minaj (-2)
8. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am & Britney Spears (+4) FINALLY! :D
9. "One More Night" - Maroon 5 (-1)
10. "I Cry" - Flo Rida (+1)

#1 ON-DEMAND SONG THIS WEEK (1.12 million on-demand streams):

[video=youtube;QK8mJJJvaes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes[/video]

SALES:

1. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (326,000)
2. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (236,000)
3. "Locked Out of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (233,000)
4. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am & Britney Spears (203,000)
5. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (196,000)
6. "Gangnam Style" - PSY (192,000)
7. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (186,000)
8. "Beauty and a Beat" - Justin Bieber f/ Nicki Minaj (173,000)
9. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (160,000)
10. "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia f/ John Martin (153,000)

Last edited:

HoennMaster

I personally would love Kelly Clarkson to win her Grammy nominations but sadly she won't.

Why does Home have such longevity!? And why must people like Bruno Mars!

And hell yeah for Queen B in the Top 10....although it took far longer then I thought it would.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 (Week of January 19, 2013)

2. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (+1)
4. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (=)
7. "Beauty and a Beat" - Justin Bieber f/ Nicki Minaj (-2)

this week surprises me. i thought tay-sway would seize the #1 throne, but instead she went down, and diamonds, a song i thought had reached its peak in popularity, takes its place. hmm, something is rotten in the state of America...

•ho hey didn't rise either, something rotten indeed...
•this "thrift shop" is climbing like a machamp. i guess i should take a listen :p real life interferes again
•home is still rising? talk about defining "delayed reaction". it's like the little engine that could [gain popularity and climb the charts]
•flo rida came back? well, now that i think about, i have noticed more airplay of the song
•and psy has left us again, for good, i predict

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker

Ugh, such an irritating song spending so long at #1. How does the public have the patience to listen to this constantly for five weeks in a row!?

Well, I guess this will teach Taylor's record to put her singles up for streaming. There's a slight chance that this might have even been #1 this week if it was on the On-Demand Chart.

Yes, continue to climb at this pace! I need you to get to the top already so you can begin what will be one of the longest #1 reigns in 2013!

A new peak in its 28th week... the longevity of this song is just oustanding.

Despite what I said about this song when it originally came out, it's actually grown on me quite a bit. I'd rather it not climb all the way up to #1, but I'm not disappointed to see it here.

Both of you have overstayed your welcomes.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
i know the Peoples Choice Awards is by no way a big deal at all, but The Wanted just won Best New Artist over 1D (and fun., but that's not my point). It's interesting to me because these two boy bands have had a very personal, confrontational rivalry for #1 boy band, and while i was ready to accept 1D as the holder of that title, here comes The Wanted showing that they're not out of the picture just yet, which makes me happy since I'm Team Wanted ftw

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
i know the Peoples Choice Awards is by no way a big deal at all, but The Wanted just won Best New Artist over 1D (and fun., but that's not my point). It's interesting to me because these two boy bands have had a very personal, confrontational rivalry for #1 boy band, and while i was ready to accept 1D as the holder of that title, here comes The Wanted showing that they're not out of the picture just yet, which makes me happy since I'm Team Wanted ftw

I don't really like either of them quite frankly, but if I was forced to choose one, I would definitely choose The Wanted without a doubt. They just have a way more mature sound in both their music and their vocals, and when I listen to them I feel like I'm listening to adults while with 1D, I feel like I'm listening to Kids Bop or something like that. Plus, even though both of them heavily rely on dance/electronic tracks and very little natural stuff, 1D's stuff just feels more produced and fake than The Wanted's.

Status
Not open for further replies.