• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Anderson Cooper just went into some tirade about how he's positive she didn't lipsync the performance so idek.

well anderson cooper is a nut so idc what he says. and omg that psycho ***** new york is in your sig! i forgot about her existence

and i kinda agree with aveil about kelly clarkson. I'm just not as vicious about it, but i think this thread holds her so high. don't get me wrong, i LOVE Kelly, but i think Beyonce is clearly better. she has better vocals and control and imo better songs. but i love both of them so I'm happy for both of them and their success

Kreis

Still Dirrty
well anderson cooper is a nut so idc what he says. and omg that psycho ***** new york is in your sig! i forgot about her existence

and i kinda agree with aveil about kelly clarkson. I'm just not as vicious about it, but i think this thread holds her so high. don't get me wrong, i LOVE Kelly, but i think Beyonce is clearly better. she has better vocals and control and imo better songs. but i love both of them so I'm happy for both of them and their success

Kelly pretty much destroys any of her contemporaries when it comes to belting out notes. She can hit and keep them sustained with extreme finesse. For example, when it comes to belting out an F#5, Beyonce only briefly touches the note and can't sustain it for long, while Kelly can sustain it for a while longer. As any vocalist will tell you, it's easy to hit a note, sustaining it is the hard part. Beyonce's is overall the better of the two when it comes to vocal acrobatics, though. Girl can do some heavenly runs to some songs.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Kelly pretty much destroys any of her contemporaries when it comes to belting out notes. She can hit and keep them sustained with extreme finesse. For example, when it comes to belting out an F#5, Beyonce only briefly touches the note and can't sustain it for long, while Kelly can sustain it for a while longer. As any vocalist will tell you, it's easy to hit a note, sustaining it is the hard part. Beyonce's is overall the better of the two when it comes to vocal acrobatics, though. Girl can do some heavenly runs to some songs.

my musical knowledge stems from playing instruments, so i don't know so much about how vocals work, but what you said makes sense, and i guess it comes down to your taste. i prefer the heavenly runs over holding out a note. combine that with Beyonce's vocal range (e.g. "love on top") and you really got something. that doesn't mean that I've never belted to "since u been gone", "stronger", and every single in between

Kreis

Still Dirrty
my musical knowledge stems from playing instruments, so i don't know so much about how vocals work, but what you said makes sense, and i guess it comes down to your taste. i prefer the heavenly runs over holding out a note. combine that with Beyonce's vocal range (e.g. "love on top") and you really got something. that doesn't mean that I've never belted to "since u been gone", "stronger", and every single in between

I understand completely, I'm more of a high notes kind of guy. I'm not really a fan of runs because a lot of artists tend to overdo it, like Christina Aguilera. Her runs are a hot mess, but when she doesn't overdo them they are brilliant.

HoennMaster

O Christina, still bombing despite a great album.

And if anything, Kelly is underrated. Remaking Since U Been Gone everytime? Have you even listened to all her albums all the way through. She's done some versatile stuff and Stronger was just a beautiful album when it came to vocals and all the things she tried to cover on that album. If she won a Grammy for it it would be well deserved.

RickHoenn

Banned
Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 (Week of February 2, 2013):

1. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis f/ Wanz (1st week at #1)
2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (-1)
3. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (=)
4. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake f/ Jay-Z (+80)
5. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (-1)
6. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am f/ Britney Spears (=)
7. "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia f/ John Martin (=)
8. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (-3)
9. "Beauty and a Beat" - Justin Bieber f/ Nicki Minaj (-1)
10. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (-1)

-

*"Thrift Shop" is ****ing awesome!!! I think it'll remain at #1 for a long time, it's just starting on the radio. :D
*Release that damn song to streaming already, Taylor (or her label)! IKYWT. will sadly miss #1. :(
*Wow at JT jump, future #1?

Last edited:

HoennMaster

I have never heard this song, but hey, it got Bruno Mars off number 1. I really think Billboard needs to tweak their tracking slightly, all these songs spending weeks on end at number one is getting tiring and just seems odd considering how 2-10 fluctuate frequently.

Popboi

The Elusive Trainer

2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (-1)
5. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (-1)
6. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am f/ Britney Spears (=)
7. "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia f/ John Martin (=)
8. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (-3)
9. "Beauty and a Beat" - Justin Bieber f/ Nicki Minaj (-1)
10. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (-1)

-

*"Thrift Shop" is ****ing awesome!!! I think it'll remain at #1 for a long time, it's just starting on the radio. :D
*Release that damn song to streaming already, Taylor (or her label)! IKYWT. will sadly miss #1. :(
*Wow at JT jump, future #1?

UGH I wanted S&S and IKYWT to reach #1 but with Thrift Shop it won't happen :(

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker

And so one of the most surprisingly amazing songs of 2013 begins its epic reign on the Hot 100. Can't wait to see how far it goes.

Really don't like this song, but based on its current iTunes position, I think that luckily this might be its peak.

I usually have more to say about the Top 10, but other than TS taking #1 and S&T's jump, this week's Top 10 was kind of boring.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I have never heard this song, but hey, it got Bruno Mars off number 1. I really think Billboard needs to tweak their tracking slightly, all these songs spending weeks on end at number one is getting tiring and just seems odd considering how 2-10 fluctuate frequently.

i think the hype of a song reaching #1 causes radios to increase their airplay (to get more listeners) and makes more people wanna buy it, as a result, the song maintains a #1 reign. just a thought, though

and like SC said, the top 10 this week isn't much different except for thrift shop and "suit & tie". I'm not sure how to feel about JT's song, considering I've only heard like 15 seconds of it, which is more than what i can say for our new #1. I'll give it a listen some day, just not this week

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
I think suit & tie might reach #1 in a couple of weeks.
Taylor swift would have done better if you could stream IKYWT on things such as Spotify without needing local files.
Thrift Shop is a fun song and I think it's a good #1 single but I don't think he would get another hit from it unlike in Austrailia with Same Love.

Geekachu

Cool it girl, I'm just venting about how universally loved she is here, despite the fact she gets her income off of remaking Since U Been Gone every few years and calling it an album. P!nk is in a similar position. The performance was cute, but if she wins any Grammy's against Florence or Carly we'll have an issue.

Why would I be threatened by Belly Clarkson anyway?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
DRYOv.gif

The shade! The NERVE!!

I also don't think that kelly's overrated. I mean, I never listen to her music but I understand that she's well liked without being praised as some sort of legend or second-coming. Her reception's pretty mild tbh.

Guys can we talk for a second about how awesome Zedd's song Clarity is and that it needs to be the next big smash hit

I haven't really taken to it much but it's still nice. It feels a bit too sugary for my liking. BUT IMAGINE WHAT HE'S DOING ON ARTPOP.

Oh and suit and tie was a bit of a let down. I appreciate the attempt at reintroducing R&B which beyonce's probably going to try and do too, but ignoring the genre the song itself was underwhelming.

Last edited:

Ruby Blue

Her singles sales?

ibHqsSoDL8zpK.gif

Bey's superbowl synch in a week. Anyone excited? I was convinced that she would have dropped some single/album information by now.

You know I'll be standing guard in case Kelly & Michelle try to get on that stage. She could be waiting until the last day or so to try and maximize sales, but I'm starting to worry about her comeback.

Oh and suit and tie was a bit of a let down. I appreciate the attempt at reintroducing R&B which beyonce's probably going to try and do too, but ignoring the genre the song itself was underwhelming.

R&B is dead in the 2010s. It was thriving in the 90s and peaked in the 00s, but now its at an all time low. The only black females to have Top 10 singles since 2010 are Nicki, Rih and Bey (in Telephone no less) and that speaks volumes. The only reason Bey can still sell is her massive fanbase.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
i kind of wish R&B came back, though. i liked growing up with it and now it's gone and everything is more electronic, which i do love, but is it too much to ask for both? and honestly if enough people try to bring it back then i think it's possible. because lots of young people today grew up with R&B so it would be pleasant and nostalgic. and i feel like, with the insertion of mariah carey into Idol, the show itself is bringing it back, because season 12 is kinda looking like season 3

p.s. I'm only watching the auditions this year. that was what i promised myself

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
i never liked Gangnam Style. Its weird

To me pop is my fave... Duh! My username. Also Katy Perry and Taylor Swift are my fave popstars. Also Whitney Huston, nya~

RickHoenn

Banned
Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 (Week of February 9, 2013):

1. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis f/ Wanz (2nd week at #1)
2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (=)
4. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (+1)
5. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am & Britney Spears (+1)
6. "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia f/ John Martin (+1)
7. "Beauty and a Beat" - Justin Bieber f/ Nicki Minaj (+2)
8. "Diamonds" - Rihanna (=)
9. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (+1)
10. "F**kin' Problems" - A$AP Rocky f/ Drake, 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar (+5) WTF!?

13. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake f/ Jay-Z (-9)

-

*Rap is making a comeback! Oh no! :eek:
*Damn "Thrift Shop" has 15.000 points total above "Locked Out Of Heaven" :eek:, it'll be #1 for a while I think. :p
*"Scream & Shout" is becoming MASSIVE :D its radio updates are huge, #2 on iTunes atm.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 (Week of February 9, 2013):

1. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis f/ Wanz (2nd week at #1)

I knew it was getting a 2nd week at #1, but it's still nice to see it. And its airplay is rocketing right now, so soon it will have really high airplay to match its massive sales and record-breaking streaming.

This song's chart run is reminding me of Some Nights's so much.

5. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am & Britney Spears (+1)

Nice to see this in the Top 5. Don't want it hitting #1 though, so it can stop soon.

7. "Beauty and a Beat" - Justin Bieber f/ Nicki Minaj (+2)

How did this climb two spots!? It dropped in sales, it barely gained anything in airplay and I doubt it made a big jump in streaming either.

9. "Home" - Phillip Phillips (+1)

Huh, I was certain that this was going to leave the Top 10 to make way for Girl On Fire or Try. But I like it, so it's nice to see it spend one more week in the Top 10.

10. "F**kin' Problems" - A$AP Rocky f/ Drake, 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar (+5) WTF!?

Ew ew ew ew ew get it out of here. This song is horrendous, it doesn't even deserve to be on the Hot 100. I hope it doesn't climb any higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.