• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekachu

You know I'll be standing guard in case Kelly & Michelle try to get on that stage. She could be waiting until the last day or so to try and maximize sales, but I'm starting to worry about her comeback.

i've decidid to refrom destins child but kely is busy and i cant rember the othr 1s naem

R&B is dead in the 2010s. It was thriving in the 90s and peaked in the 00s, but now its at an all time low. The only black females to have Top 10 singles since 2010 are Nicki, Rih and Bey (in Telephone no less) and that speaks volumes. The only reason Bey can still sell is her massive fanbase.

But electropop managed to make a comeback? If anything, I see that electro/dancepop is on it's way out. It was fresh and exciting on the charts in 2009 but thanks to all the go-to producers (RedOne, Max Martin, Doctor Luke) the charts became stale with the same beats, lyrics, formulae, and electropop became sterile and disinteresting as a genre. It shows a lot to know that last year's biggest three hits ignored the electropop formulae, as audiences are tired of this sterility and are ready to move onto something else. R&B could easily make a comeback. It's been around ten years since it was last on the charts, but it's not going to return by being endorsed by forgettable, disposable songs like Suit and Tie.

(And also, Nicki and Rihanna are no way near being R&B artists at the moment. People equate race and genre too much).

Ruby Blue

(And also, Nicki and Rihanna are no way near being R&B artists at the moment. People equate race and genre too much).

Oh my god, I realize how bad that sounded.

When I said it "speaks volumes" I meant it in that those two aren't R&B and Telephone is not an R&B song.

HoennMaster

In the first minute or so: Startin -> alterna -> fairyland -> STEP you -> ourselves
I take back what I said last week....listened to Thrift Shop and wanted to hit my head on a desk.

Startin' is from Secret
alterna, fairyland and STEP you are from (miss)understood
ourselves is from Memorial address

Thank you so much. I don't understand a single word of it, but I love that song at the same time. I didn't know that she was deaf in one ear. Kudos to her for continuing with her career after that.

Listened to Clairty and it was quite good. I'll have to look into some other stuff from Zedd.

Last edited:

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Beyonce figured that she wasn't going to be outstaged by Kelly Clarkson and delivered a fierce performance at the superbowl:
[video=youtube;vngzSDWByR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vngzSDWByR0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I'm like so shocked she relied more on dancing than singing......Destiny's Child was the best part.

yeah i thought the same thing but it was such a long performance and i was so captivated by it! i can watch Beyonce dance for hours, it truly was a fierce performance. just imagine having to memorize all that choreography, people! i loved it. way better than Madonna beeteedubz. and she sang halo, my favorite song from her. just awesome

Popboi

The Elusive Trainer
IMO Kelly's and Michelle's mics were way too low, you can't even hear them

And for the ones that didn't buy Ke$ha's Deconstructed EP on her website it's out on iTunes now

Last edited:

Geekachu

Beyonce did really well in delivering a great performance. I probably couldn't choose between her's and Madonna's performance over which was the better one. Madonna had a massive spectacle and I continue to be amazed at her brilliant discography of songs, whereas Beyonce managed to just completely captivate me without too much of an elaborate set up. Both were equally brilliant, I would say.

Speaking of Beyonce, I'm still entirely surprised that there's absolutely no information whatsoever on her upcoming album. But all the same she's announced a new tour to commence on April 15th.

[img139]http://cdn.rap-up.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mrs-carter-show-world-tour.jpg[/img139]

Some promo video. The European leg starts in April with the North American one in June I think. Mrs Carter would be an awesome name for her next album, though.

[video=youtube;RbN79D5ST-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RbN79D5ST-0#at=42[/video]

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Wow, this thread talks about Beyonce way more than the last one did. Then again, I guess she's a lot more relevant in 2013 than she was in 2011-12.

IMO Kelly's and Michelle's mics were way too low, you can't even hear them

I agree with this. While I overall loved Beyonce's performance, I find that the reunion with Destiny's Child was still a bit too Beyonce-centered when it should have been about the group as a whole. Because of the mics, it kind of sounded like Kelly and Michelle were just Beyonce's backup singers instead of fellow group members, and that was just proven further when one of the two or three songs they sang together was one of Beyonce's solo songs.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Wow, this thread talks about Beyonce way more than the last one did. Then again, I guess she's a lot more relevant in 2013 than she was in 2011-12.

I agree with this. While I overall loved Beyonce's performance, I find that the reunion with Destiny's Child was still a bit too Beyonce-centered when it should have been about the group as a whole. Because of the mics, it kind of sounded like Kelly and Michelle were just Beyonce's backup singers instead of fellow group members, and that was just proven further when one of the two or three songs they sang together was one of Beyonce's solo songs.

well, if you think about it, Beyonce was offered to perform at the halftime show, not destiny's child. so even though destiny's child was there, the theme of the show was "best of Beyonce", as it is for every Superbowl (best of [insert artist/group here]), so it makes sense that the focus was on her. i probably sound overly defensive, but i guess that's just because people have been attacking her for the inauguration and now this and it just sounds like a lot of people, not you specifically, are just finding things to pick at

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
The Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (dated February 16th):

1. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (=) (3rd week @ #1!)
2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (=)
3. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am. ft. Britney Spears (+2)
4. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (-1)
5. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (-1)
6. "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin (=)
7. "Beauty And A Beat" - Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj (=)
8. "F**kin Problems" - A$AP Rocky ft. Drake, 2Chainz & Kendrick Lamar (+2)
9. "Try" - P!nk (+2)
10. "Sweet Nothing" - Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch (+4)

Personal comments:
-3rd week on top for Thrift Shop! Honestly I can't really see it losing the top spot until Bruno's new single "When I Was Your Man" most likely overthrows it, and it's going to take a long time for it to pass TS in both sales and airplay
-Didn't really expect S&S to make it into the Top 3. It could potentially pass LOOH next week, which may give it that bittersweet #2 peak
-Don't You Worry Child is doing much better than I expected. I originally thought it'd stay in the Top 10 for no more than 2-3 weeks
-Ew, F**kin Problems, why are you still here?
-I expected "Try" to get into the Top 10 this week, with its giant airplay number, and I'm happy it got in! This is probably my favourite P!nk song, so I like how it continued her streak of Top 10s
-Oh my god, "Sweet Nothing", yes!! I'm in love with this song, and I didn't expect it to hit Top 10 so soon! Plus I love Florence, so congrats to her on her first Top 10!

HoennMaster

Thrift Shop gross. Two spots for Queen B...guess people actually did buy the horrible remix. And hell yeah for Pink finally getting some recognition.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
The Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (dated February 16th):

1. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (=) (3rd week @ #1!)
2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (=)
3. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am. ft. Britney Spears (+2)
4. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (-1)
5. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (-1)
6. "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin (=)
7. "Beauty And A Beat" - Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj (=)
8. "F**kin Problems" - A$AP Rocky ft. Drake, 2Chainz & Kendrick Lamar (+2)
9. "Try" - P!nk (+2)
10. "Sweet Nothing" - Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch (+4)

•I'm actually not surprised that DYWC is still in the top 10 because that song is relatively popular atm. I'm so close to downloading it but something keeps holding me back. idk something feels generic about it
•ho hey is the only song in the top 5 i have any true interest in. too bad I've developed this interest just as it's going down the charts
•sweet nothing JUST made it to the top 10? wtf? i love this song and everything but I've already moved on to david guetta's "she wolf", so now I'm ready for that song to rise. keep up with me, society

Popboi

The Elusive Trainer
Kylie Minogue just signed with Roc Nation, maybe now she will get her deserved success in the US
8820ebf0708011e29e6f22000a9e2992_7.jpg

Thrift Shop gross. Two spots for Queen B...guess people actually did buy the horrible remix. And hell yeah for Pink finally getting some recognition.

The remix didn't help at all lol, songs with the same name but completely different sound aren't counted for the same chart position.

Geekachu

Did anyone catch the Grammys last night? This thread was buzzing last year. While I didn't see the actual show, I was disappointed that Mumford and Sons' 'Babel' won album of the year over El Camino or Channel Orange. I can't help but feel disappointed to see fun. somewhat undeservedly get Best New Artist and Song of the Year, but the commercial bias at the Grammys is always to be expected. I'm happy for Gotye though (ROTY), and Beyonce who gained her 17th Grammy for traditional R&B performance (Love on Top), Kelly Clarkson for that pop vocal album, Frank who managed to get at least one award, Rihanna for the We Found Love video and Kanye's almost-sweep of the rap category.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
I'm happy that Kelly won one grammy. I missed the show because I fell asleep, but woo! Go Kelly.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
i was multitasking quite a bit, so i didn't get every detail of the Grammy's, but, compared to their fellow nominees, i was happy with the results. fun. was obvious` for artist of the year after winning their other award that i can't remember at the moment. i noticed that two idol alumni won last night, and I'm happy about that. beyonce and jay-z both won really expensive toys for blue ivy. carly didn't win s*** (i think) so I'm ecstatic about that. the performance I'm really remembering now so early in the morning is Rihanna's because it was so opposite of her usual stuff. i still don't know if that was her song or not. i also liked the collab btwn maroon5 and alicia keys. speaking of alicia, she has done a really good job promoting "girl on fire ", which has made these past several months great for her. of topic for a sec, her national anthem performance was stunning. back on topic, adam lambert singing the melody for "girl on fire" was awesome. and then he and alicia combined the melodies of their songs and it was cool. I guess that's why they had to change the key of alicia's song, to match with maroon5's song

one last thing: the way they honor the artists who have passed away the past year is one of my favorite segments. the ones i miss the most are adam yauch (beastie boys) and jenni rivera (mexican-american singer)

Last edited:

Ruby Blue

I've made my opinion on the Grammys known. I've also made my opinion on Kelly Clarkson known.
Imagine my horror when her shitty album beat Ceremonials for Pop Vocal Album. I hate the Grammys.

Kelly won because she is a known, safe choice and was also performing.

Dax

Legend
Imagine my horror when her shitty album beat Ceremonials for Pop Vocal Album. I hate the Grammys.

I almost slitted my wrists when that abomination happened. I love Kelly but not *****, no. That award wasn't for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.