• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
f4Us5Nt.gif

Go Kelly for making Grammy history by being the only artist to win this category more than once.
B)

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
the grammys are a non-event until Steven Wilson wins for Best Surround Mix. or best album, either is fine

Geekachu

Kelly won because she is a known, safe choice and was also performing.

[img139]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li66y62hGW1qdlkgg.gif[/img139]

I completely forgot that Flo was nominated - what kind of travesty? First they give Taylor Swift a grammy in 2010 because Kanye ruined her VMA moment, then My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy gets snubbed last year for five albums that altogether don't even account to its quality, and then they give Frank Ocean's/The Black Keys' AOTY to the shittier commercial choice? And now THIS???!?! The Grammys are testing me. I know that they aren't half as credible as what many people would like to assume, but I just can't at the voters going for the same, predictable mediocre choices each year.

Been looking at some Grammy stuff anyway: first, Adele didn't wear black (WHAT), and anyone see what was going on with Katy Perry? Or, more specifically, those two things that were going on with Katy Perry?

carly didn't win s*** (i think) so I'm ecstatic about that.

People don't give enough credit to Carly for Call Me Maybe. Hey, it's a well written song - and she didn't even have to buy the credits!

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
[img139]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li66y62hGW1qdlkgg.gif[/img139]

I completely forgot that Flo was nominated - what kind of travesty? First they give Taylor Swift a grammy in 2010 because Kanye ruined her VMA moment, then My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy gets snubbed last year for five albums that altogether don't even account to its quality, and then they give Frank Ocean's/The Black Keys' AOTY to the shittier commercial choice? And now THIS???!?! The Grammys are testing me. I know that they aren't half as credible as what many people would like to assume, but I just can't at the voters going for the same, predictable mediocre choices each year.

Been looking at some Grammy stuff anyway: first, Adele didn't wear black (WHAT), and anyone see what was going on with Katy Perry? Or, more specifically, those two things that were going on with Katy Perry?

People don't give enough credit to Carly for Call Me Maybe. Hey, it's a well written song - and she didn't even have to buy the credits!

Katy Perry's boobs hypnotized me.

And yes, Call Me Maybe is a well written song about how promiscuous teenage girls are nowadays. They barely meet a guy and give them their phone number.........

What's up with Rhianna and Chris Brown?

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
So now that the Grammys are over, I thought I'd look back at my personal choices and predictions of the Big Four winners and see what they were like compared to the actual winners:

Record Of The Year
With the exception of WANEGBT (where I simply cannot explain why the hell it's in this category), the songs in this category are all pretty good. Despite that, I think it's almost guaranteed that STIUTK will take this award. It was something different this year, it has a unique sound, and it was the biggest hit of the year.
My Choice: "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra
My Prediction: "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra

The Winner: "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra

Well that's 1 for my choice and 1 for my prediction. I'm really glad it won, especially considering it had a lot of competition in this category. Considering Gotye will (very sadly) likely fade into obscurity and end up being a one hit wonder, I'm glad that he at least got a Grammy for his masterpiece of a smash single.

Album Of The Year
Ooh, this is tough. While I've only listened to Some Nights and a bit of Babel, I've heard good things about all the albums in this category, so I really don't know who to choose here. Just based on how Bon Iver was the surprise winner of the Grammys last here, I'll go with Jack White.
My Choice: "Some Nights" - Fun.
My Prediction: "Blunderbuss" - Jack White

The Winner: "Babel" - Mumford & Sons

Yeah, I knew I would be completely wrong with this one. I guess I underestimated how much this year's awards would gear towards mainstream songs and artists, otherwise I would have picked Babel. I haven't listened to the whole thing, but it's good from what I've heard, so I'm not disappointed.

Song Of The Year
While The A Team could pull a surprise here, I think it's pretty clear that WAY has got this category. CMM and Stronger are too poppy and I just can't see Adorn winning a Grammy.
My Choice: We Are Young - Jack Antonoff, Jeff Bhasker, Andrew Dost & Nate Ruess, songwriters (Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe)
My Prediction: We Are Young - Jack Antonoff, Jeff Bhasker, Andrew Dost & Nate Ruess, songwriters (Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe)

The Winner: We Are Young - Jack Antonoff, Jeff Bhasker, Andrew Dost & Nate Ruess, songwriters (Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe)

SUCK IT, CALL ME MAYBE DIDN'T WIN, CARLY LEFT WITH NOTHING!. In all honesty, I was actually getting a bit afraid that CMM would take this one because of the massive cultural impact this song had. But I guess genuinely good writing pulled through over billions of Youtube parodies, so I'm extremely happy to see WAY take this one. CMM may have been the pop hit of 2012, but WAY was definitely the anthem of 2012.

Best New Artist
Another tough category. I have no idea who Alabama Shakes is and Hunter Hayes seems like a pretty basic young country star, so for me this boils down to Fun., Frank Ocean and The Lumineers. I've noticed that almost all the time, this category ends up being won by a less popular act, and I've heard good things about Frank Ocean, so I think he may take it.
My Choice: Fun.
My Prediction: Frank Ocean

The Winner: Fun.

Well, even though I didn't predict this, I'm sure as hell glad that my personal choice won!! This category had such huge competition and I was accepting the fact that Fun. wouldn't get this one. But I'm so happy that it did - they were by far the biggest breakout starts of 2012 and out of the three main new acts of the year (Gotye, Fun. and Carly), I predict that Fun. will be around the longest. I hope to see them winning some Grammys next year for "Carry On" or whatever new material they release afterwards.

Well, that's 2/4 for my predictions and 3/4 for my personal choices. I'm certainly satisfied with that, especially considering how much competition there was this year.

Also, just a note on Kelly's award, because everybody seems to be talking about that: I love Kelly, but Florence + The Machine totally got robbed. "Ceremonials" is a pure masterpiece, and every track on that album beats even Kelly's best songs. But like I said earlier, this year's Grammys catered to the mainstream audience a lot, so I'm not that surprised.

Anyways, I thought I'd also show some iTunes positions of songs that saw massive boosts because of the Grammys:

US iTunes:
1. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers
2. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z
3 & 39. "I Will Wait" - Mumford & Sons
5. "Stay" - Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko
6. "Carry On" - Fun.
7. "Daylight" - Maroon 5
8. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars
10 & 99. "We Are Young" - Fun. ft. Janelle Monae
12. "The A Team" - Ed Sheeran
14. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake
15 & 83. "Girl On Fire" - Alicia Keys
16. "Lonely Boy" - The Black Keys
17. "Wanted" - Hunter Hayes
18. "Some Nights" - Fun.
21. "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra
23 & 40. "Adorn" - Miguel
24. "Blown Away" - Carrie Underwood
28. "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" - Kelly Clarkson

Kreis

Still Dirrty
And yes, Call Me Maybe is a well written song about how promiscuous teenage girls are nowadays. They barely meet a guy and give them their phone number.........

Easy now, I don't tolerate slut shaming.

HoennMaster

LOL at the butthurt. You people will put out any excuse. ALL of the acts in that category are well known. BTW, I love how you people take time to post only when you overreact to something like this. Kelly deserves the award just as much as Pink, fun. or Florence would have. It's far from a crappy album.

tumblr_m1dxfrAa1L1rq4no1o1_r1_500.jpg

Ruby Blue

LOL at the butthurt. You people will put out any excuse. ALL of the acts in that category are well known. BTW, I love how you people take time to post only when you overreact to something like this.

Let's not beat around here, by "You people" you're obviously referring to me, so maybe I don't post here often since I dislike being called out for my opinion, like I am now. Kira was right, this place is worse than ATRL.

HoennMaster

I was referring to multiple people, not just you. I don't care if you hate the album, couldn't care less. But you and a few others are beyond overreacting.

And funny, because Kira was always the most negative one here. Or should I call him Ciccone now.

Last edited:

Kreis

Still Dirrty
I think it's about time I said something.

The only reason why this thread is remotely bad is because some users (I won't say who because I don't really pay attention to the usernames) throw around a lot of "shade." It's fine to have opinions, it's fantastic that you do. It's just the way that a lot of you go about doing it. Sometimes you do it to piss off certain people because they like a certain artist. I can't remember exactly who it was, but we had a member here in the last thread that was a huge fan of Lady Gaga, and some other user constantly threw "shade" at his favorite artist, solely because whenever they did that, they knew the other user would get pissed off. When he was called out on it, he put up the "I'm the victim here!" act and pretended that he wasn't trying to start anything. This is something that a lot of you tend to do for whatever reason.

I found it humorous at first because I honestly didn't think a lot of you were being serious when you used your reaction .gif's or your "lawdsss" or "stay pressed" comments. I thought it was just you guys just ribbing each other, but it seems the more time I spend time in this thread, the more I realize that a lot of you are actually tightly wound and are doing/saying these things because for whatever reason you feel an extreme need to be catty towards each other.

You guys need to honestly chill the fuck out when it comes to these things. Pay attention to Geekachu or Silent Conversation posts, they go about things in a more chilled out manner.

Edit: What I mean to say about them is that, from what I've seen, they tend to put down the music, not the artist (or if they do, they're tactful about it and it's done in a tasteful manner). Some of you feel the need to put down the artist completely in order to disregard their music. It just seems like a lot of you are doing that to bring reactions out of people.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
okay, maybe my comment about carly rae jepsen was a bit untasteful. what i meant to say was that i strongly dislike the song and i have failed to understand why people love it and why it was nominated. i used to think it was crazy for people to love this song, but i seem to be the outcast of opinion when you consider mainstream society and grammy nominators. oh well. i just hope this song doesn't start a trend. sorry if anyone felt attacked.

anyways, what was everyone's favorites from the grammy's? fave winner? fave performance? moment? presenter?

me: I guess jay-z; maroon5 and alicia keys; remembering everyone who died; neil Patrick harris

my formatting is crappy because this is all being written with little thought

HoennMaster

^ BTW I wasn't referring to you in any of my statements. :)

Kelly Clarkson was the best part of the whole night. Awesome performance, winning an award, awesome acceptance speech, and photobombing Ellen DeGeneres.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Well idk but every year the grammys get worse. Not one performance made me go "Omg" (Carrie Underwood came closest to it) in a good way. And I just wanna rip off the little hair I have when Taylor Swift is on stage.

I was more entertained by the controversies like Butthurt Chris Brown losing to Frank Ocean (Oh and the behind the scenes piece of mind Adele gave to Chris, HeeLaRious!)

Had P!nk been there and performed, I would have been content.
She lights up any stage.

Oh and Juanes... God I love Juanes! Along with Florence Welch.

Now some of the things these people wore were...
Jennifer Lopez and her Angelina HOlie stunt... I mean Forreal.
And Adele looking like an Edible Arrangement. I mean she looks like the soil, the leaves, AND THE MOTHAFU*KIN ROOTS. Katy Perry sure got people WIDE AWAKE, and Carrie Underwood's performance having butterflies come out her coochie was wonderful.

And I really don't get the JT Hype but whateva. He back!

And lmao at Justin Bieber's fail to get back at the Grammys. He wanted to Livestream during the show and Live Stream wasn't working. HE STR8 UP TWEETED he was upset. Lmao!

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
So I was just wondering - what do people think about Rihanna's "Stay"? Back when I did my review of Unapologetic, I mentioned that "Stay" was really the only highlight on the album, and lately I've been obsessed with it. It's one of Rihanna's most beautiful sounding songs and definitely up there as one of my all time favourites by her, if not my favourite.

I'm choosing to discuss this song now because the music video was released today. Just like the song itself, the video is much calmer and more touching than most of her other videos, and while some people would say it's boring, I personally think it's brilliantly done, as it perfectly captures the emotion in the song.

[video=youtube;JF8BRvqGCNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8BRvqGCNs[/video]

Geekachu

LOL at the butthurt. You people will put out any excuse. ALL of the acts in that category are well known. BTW, I love how you people take time to post only when you overreact to something like this. Kelly deserves the award just as much as Pink, fun. or Florence would have. It's far from a crappy album.

Once again HoennMaster beautifully writes himself as the subject of his own derision. For me, personally, I'm happy for Kelly. I don't listen to her music but she comes across as probably one of the only genuine and sincere characters in the game. On a musical level, though, I felt Ceremonials better deserved this award. Kreis is right in highlighting that the lines between objective criticism and personal attacks are blurred far too often in here.

Edit: What I mean to say about them is that, from what I've seen, they tend to put down the music, not the artist (or if they do, they're tactful about it and it's done in a tasteful manner). Some of you feel the need to put down the artist completely in order to disregard their music. It just seems like a lot of you are doing that to bring reactions out of people.

N'aww, you needn't feel obliged to justify your love for us :)

So I was just wondering - what do people think about Rihanna's "Stay"? Back when I did my review of Unapologetic, I mentioned that "Stay" was really the only highlight on the album, and lately I've been obsessed with it. It's one of Rihanna's most beautiful sounding songs and definitely up there as one of my all time favourites by her, if not my favourite.

I'm choosing to discuss this song now because the music video was released today. Just like the song itself, the video is much calmer and more touching than most of her other videos, and while some people would say it's boring, I personally think it's brilliantly done, as it perfectly captures the emotion in the song.

Just caught this on Vevo. I think it's a nicely shot video but alike the similar Someone Like You it ventures too far down that avenue of predictability as a video to do anything for me. I also think the whole "females shaving one side of their head" is really... not good. As for the song, I think it's quite nice in all honesty and I was actually pleasantly surprised by Rihanna's vocal performance of this at the Grammys. I'd probably agree though that it's one of the very few good tracks on Unapologetic. In an ideal world I would say that it's probably going to be the last successful single from the album but I guarantee one of the generic (most likely the David Guetta one) will be released next year. That album is just awful.

In other news, JT followed up the underwhelming Suit & Tie with the somewhat, slightly less underwhelming 'Mirrors'. I can't link rn but it sounds like a mix of Cry Me A River and a lower quality What Goes Around. It's okay, but the two tracks he's released thus far are not as amazing as what I hoped they could be. Here's to hoping that the good tracks on the album are being overlooked at the moment, I guess.

HoennMaster

Stay is definitely one of the only good songs on Unapologetic, but the video did nothing for me. I loved the place they shot it at, it was beautiful. However I thought them just sitting there doing nothing was dull. At least walk around or move in a circle. Just something would have been nice.

Katy obviously didn't get the memo with the new rules...

And we thank her for it.

Once again HoennMaster beautifully writes himself as the subject of his own derision..

Care to elaborate?

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Anybody else like Remember When by Chis Wallace?? I hear it on pandora a lot and I love it know lol. Fav song at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.