• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
At least Gaga has a fan base unlike Ke$ha whose recent single couldn't even get into the Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. :rolleyes:

Nah I'm joking I like Ke$ha and I like Gaga and to be honest I just want good music and no BS or drama from either fan base. :p

Crazy GODS has peaked at #41 and is still rising on iTunes, Radio, and Billboard!
emoticon-00133-wait.gif

I wish Gaga fans and Animals could get along tho. They've hated us every since Tik Tok blocked Gaga and Animal outsold The Fame Monster or w/e

Ke$ha

Banned
Nah I'm joking I like Ke$ha and I like Gaga and to be honest I just want good music and no BS or drama from either fan base. :p

Right?? I think Katys new music will blow Gagas out of the water though cuz shes coming back from a very successful era and shes working with dr. luke again who produced some of her biggest hits. This thread is gonna be fun when her new music comes out.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Right?? I think Katys new music will blow Gagas out of the water though cuz shes coming back from a very successful era and shes working with dr. luke again who produced some of her biggest hits. This thread is gonna be fun when her new music comes out.

i'm really excited for Katy to literally shut the annoying Little Monsters up who have been giving her **** for the past two years when her single breaks any record Gaga has ever held

Chris-kun

i still believe
You're forgetting something - when "Same Love" was originally written and recorded, nobody knew who Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were. They weren't even unpopular - they were UNKNOWN. They're also completely independent, so there was no record label telling them what would help them make money. They write songs based on what they're feeling and their views - if you actually listen to the lyrics, they're extremely deep and way more complex then a simple "gay is ok" message.

The fact that you just admitted you're a gay male kind of makes me annoyed that you're directing so much dislike towards someone who is trying hard to actively support gay equality. Also, you continue to look like you know literally nothing about Macklemore, so this just seems like a petty attempt to complain about him or bring him down to the level of today's basic generic pop artist.

This. Same Love had that beautiful music video already before Thrift Shop blew up. It came from a genuine real place, it wasn't pandering, and anyone who thinks so is jaded beyond the point of salvation. Same Love was actually the first time I heard Macklemore, I didn't hear Thrift Shop till later.

Same Love is gorgeous and probably one of the most genuine same-sex acceptance anthems out there. If you want pandering, please see Born This Way, Firework, We Are Who We Are...

Straight allies are just as important to winning equality as out gay activists. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't understand how change actually works.

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
The only reason ARTPOP will sell anything is because of her dedicated fans. Nobody in the GP is checking her, and you can bookmark me on that.

I love Gaga, but I can definitely see this. When Born This Way originally came out, my 58 year old dad liked her, and he even bought a vinyl of the album. When I told him a few days ago that she was returning in August, he almost seemed disinterested. Even though I'm a fan of her, I can see where she went wrong and admit she had a very messy era - Born This Way spearheaded the peak of her Madonna comparisons, Judas sparked massive negative reactions from people and Marry The Night flopped and had a video that a lot of the GP thought was overdone and too long (although I personally loved her). She really only struck gold with The Edge of Glory (and You and I to a lesser extent, but a #6 peak for someone as big as Gaga is a slight underperformance). Taking a break and going into silence was a good idea, if it had lasted about a year. But Artpop's single will be out over 2 years after BTW, which is more than enough time to make the average person of this generation to move on to other artists.

Just like how I said her single beating out Blurred Lines won't be as easy as everybody thinks, I'd love to be proven wrong on this and I want nothing more than her to come back and become bigger than she ever was in the Born This Way era. But I do have to state the truth, and the truth is that Gaga's not nearly as big as she used to be.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I love Gaga, but I can definitely see this. When Born This Way originally came out, my 58 year old dad liked her, and he even bought a vinyl of the album. When I told him a few days ago that she was returning in August, he almost seemed disinterested. Even though I'm a fan of her, I can see where she went wrong and admit she had a very messy era - Born This Way spearheaded the peak of her Madonna comparisons, Judas sparked massive negative reactions from people and Marry The Night flopped and had a video that a lot of the GP thought was overdone and too long (although I personally loved her). She really only struck gold with The Edge of Glory (and You and I to a lesser extent, but a #6 peak for someone as big as Gaga is a slight underperformance). Taking a break and going into silence was a good idea, if it had lasted about a year. But Artpop's single will be out over 2 years after BTW, which is more than enough time to make the average person of this generation to move on to other artists.

Just like how I said her single beating out Blurred Lines won't be as easy as everybody thinks, I'd love to be proven wrong on this and I want nothing more than her to come back and become bigger than she ever was in the Born This Way era. But I do have to state the truth, and the truth is that Gaga's not nearly as big as she used to be.

You and I was awesome for Gaga to go into a Country-styled Pop ballad.The Edge of Glory was a really great song and I still love it despite my dwindling support for her.
I am actually hoping for ARTPOP and Gaga's singles and title tracks to beat Blurred Lines. It's a fun song, no doubt, but if it stays #1 even after Gaga's single, I'm going to be rooting and supporting her more.

And Katy said one of the singles was going to be titled "Bad Photograph", or something along those lines. I must be late for telling you guys this since I read that article and it was posted in June.

Jimmy Ray

Banned
Same Love is gorgeous and probably one of the most genuine same-sex acceptance anthems out there. If you want pandering, please see Born This Way, Firework, We Are Who We Are...

I hated all those songs because they were bad but I didn't think they were pandering to the gays. Gaga, Katy and Kesha all supported gay rights and marriage equality way before those songs were even released so its not like they were jumping on a band wagon for sales like Macklemore. :rolleyes:

Sounds like something a hater would say just because Gaga doesn't constantly release number one hits. This and your previous posts confirm my suspicions that unless an artist has a number one hit every month you don't bother with their music. I don't appreciate the whole band wagoning thing but if that's what you wanna do then more power to ya.

Sounds like something a hater would say just because Gaga doesn't constantly release number one hits. This and your previous posts confirm my suspicions that unless an artist has a number one hit every month you don't bother with their music. I don't appreciate the whole band wagoning thing but if that's what you wanna do then more power to ya.

Drag a bit. Not that I really care for Stefani that much these days but it seems like people stopped rooting for her when her last single flopped which is funny tho because most people liked it before that happened. I think relying on chart positions to dictate what good music is is a really insecure way of thinking because your basically living off of someone elses success and using it to gratify your self.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker

Here's a post I made seven months ago, enjoy.

Not including featuring artists, there are 11 artists included in that post. Out of those 11, only 3 of them had a #1 hit at the time (I put Thrift Shop there before it had even entered the Top 10), and only 1 - P!nk - has had multiple #1 hits. In fact, 3 of those artists hadn't even had a single hit in the Top 20 at the time.

If you're gonna resort to pathetic attempts to drag people when they try to maturely make a statement, you're gonna get clocked ;)

Anyways, I don't even know why I'm still responding to your posts. Your random, undeserved hatred of Macklemore is becoming even more annoying when you're not even accepting other people's points (you completely ignored the fact that Macklemore had like zero fans when he wrote Same Love, so it wasn't a grab for sales) and you're not willing to have a mature discussion with people who disagree with you. Your attitude in this thread is strikingly familiar to a user who used to post a lot in the 2012 thread, and that person eventually left because people refused to talk to him.

EDIT: Before I go, I'd like to add that I was a fan of Little Talks, Thrift Shop AND Somebody That I Used To Know all before they had even had a glimpse of popularity. I don't jump on bandwagons, hun, I come before them.

Last edited:

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Here's a post I made seven months ago, enjoy.

Not including featuring artists, there are 11 artists included in that post. Out of those 11, only 3 of them had a #1 hit at the time (I put Thrift Shop there before it had even entered the Top 10), and only 1 - P!nk - has had multiple #1 hits. In fact, 3 of those artists hadn't even had a single hit in the Top 20 at the time.

If you're gonna resort to pathetic attempts to drag people when they try to maturely make a statement, you're gonna get clocked ;)

Anyways, I don't even know why I'm still responding to your posts. Your random, undeserved hatred of Macklemore is becoming even more annoying when you're not even accepting other people's points (you completely ignored the fact that Macklemore had like zero fans when he wrote Same Love, so it wasn't a grab for sales) and you're not willing to have a mature discussion with people who disagree with you. Your attitude in this thread is strikingly familiar to a user who used to post a lot in the 2012 thread, and that person eventually left because people refused to talk to him.

EDIT: Before I go, I'd like to add that I was a fan of Little Talks, Thrift Shop AND Somebody That I Used To Know all before they had even had a glimpse of popularity. I don't jump on bandwagons, hun, I come before them.

Why do people even doubt our hipster statuses?! Not that you were being hipster, but the fact that we can still enjoy music before it becomes really popular is our right.
Could you please explain to me, Jimmy Ray, why you'd question one's motives to bandwagon with popular songs when you don't even know if they did so or not?

For some songs, I never jumped onto the bandwagon when others were on really popular songs, I just didn't like them/just not my taste.
I can say that You and I was my favorite song by Gaga the first time I saw her perform it -before the album came out- and before it was a well-known and popular track.

Geekachu

Just like old times

[img139]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm6ryohBVM1qftp03.gif[/img139]

Last edited:

Kreis

Still Dirrty
If you guys start this *****fest again, I'll close down this thread permanently. We've had like 4 pop threads now, and it always turns into people arguing and throwing *****y comments.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
If you guys start this *****fest again, I'll close down this thread permanently. We've had like 4 pop threads now, and it always turns into people arguing and throwing *****y comments.

Does discussing our joy for pop music count as spam? If not, does defending our joy for pop music -especially from members who are making false accusations and irrelevant conclusions about the joy- count as spam?

On topic: I'm really glad Same Love is getting some attention. I didn't quite enjoy Can't Hold Us as much as I enjoyed Thrift Shop, which wasn't for long, so hearing this song showed me Macklemore's other side in pop-rap.

What collabs, if any, would you guys like to see Gaga do with other pop or rap artists?
Personally, I loved Telephone and Beyoncé's parts added greatly to the song, but I think that was it. Gaga can pull off things on her own really.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Did I say it was spam? I don't care if you're discussing music, what I do care about is if you say stuff specifically to piss off other members, which happens a lot in this thread. I don't care if you don't like an artist, but if you're saying something to piss off someone, then I have a problem with it because it usually ends up with an argument. Also, if you're going to ignore what people are telling you and continue to act like an idiot, then yeah, I also have a problem with it because, again, it just boils down to a petty argument.

And by "you," I mean everyone, not you specifically. I haven't payed attention to your posts, but there's some members here who I'm keeping my eye on. I've already banned someone from posting in this thread so if you (you know who you are) are saying stuff to cause arguments, then expect the same punishment.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Drag a bit. Not that I really care for Stefani that much these days but it seems like people stopped rooting for her when her last single flopped which is funny tho because most people liked it before that happened. I think relying on chart positions to dictate what good music is is a really insecure way of thinking because your basically living off of someone elses success and using it to gratify your self.

Same deal happened to Ke$ha. Everyone in the fanbase (along with many from the Gaga and Katy fanbase) were assuming she was going to strike gold with Warrior, become critically acclaimed, sell millions, etc. but the second the numbers came in (86k, to be exact) everyone that supported her and rooted for her and claimed Warrior was the "best pop album of the year" jumped ship.

Thats basically what stan culture is though - living vicariously through somebody else's success, and using said success to validate your existence as a fan. Like when somebody criticizes Gaga for "fading" to the general public, her stans throw out the Box Office receipt. If you're a Ke$ha stan and claim that Warrior is more critically acclaimed than some of Gaga's discography (which it is, check MetaCritic) you'll still be bombarded with "Well BTW sold more, The Fame sold more" etc. Unfortunately, stans don't enjoy music for it's quality anymore, they enjoy it for it's success.

Gaga, fortunately, has a big enough fanbase to sustain her for her opening week and draw in HUGE numbers. But after that opening week (unless her stans keep buying the album, which, knowing them, wouldn't surprise me) she's going to have a big fall off.

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
If you're a Ke$ha stan and claim that Warrior is more critically acclaimed than some of Gaga's discography (which it is, check MetaCritic)

Really? Ugh. I don't mean to offend any Ke$ha stans, but I've heard Warrior and I've heard Gaga's stuff, and to me, it's no competition.

Unfortunately, stans don't enjoy music for it's quality anymore, they enjoy it for it's success.

I don't think that's a COMPLETELY accurate description. I mean stans desperately want their favourites to be successful, but the whole reason somebody stans for an artist is because they like that artist and his/her/their music.

For example, right now I'm stanning really hard for Fifth Harmony because I think they're extremely vocally talented and I like the songs they've released so far. Obviously I'm desperately hoping that they'll become a hugely popular group, but I'm not going to like them or their songs any less if they flop.

HoennMaster

*creeps back in* Aw, same old, same old.

Taking a break and going into silence was a good idea, if it had lasted about a year. But Artpop's single will be out over 2 years after BTW, which is more than enough time to make the average person of this generation to move on to other artists.

I don't think she foresaw a hip injury and surgery in her future plans.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I don't think she foresaw a hip injury and surgery in her future plans.

True, I actually forgot about the hip injury.

Although she had the surgery in March 2013, which is still almost two years after May 2011, Born This Way's release. I'm not saying she was expected to have completed the entire album in that time, especially since she was doing a lot of promoting after BTW's release, but I had read a lot of articles and sources that had said that there were barely any finished tracks even in late 2012. Considering the BTW era came to an end around Jan-Feb 2012, she had more than enough time to at least be close to finishing Artpop between then and March 2013, even when you factor in her tour.

If you ask me, the album should have been out or at LEAST have had an official release date before her hip injury had even happened. That would have put the wait at just under two years, which is still long but not brutal. But instead we're getting a 2.5 year break, which is pushing it.

Ke$ha

Banned
Yay, this thread becoming a mess again! Just like old times guys

Just like old times

[img139]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm6ryohBVM1qftp03.gif[/img139]

I love that your using a gif of my fave. Ke$ha, her power :)

On topic: I dont its a bad thing that Gaga went on break. She had other things to do like tour and she actually took her time to produce her album instead of having 50 writers and producers do that for her. Of course she also had to go away for a while for her health. All major artists take breaks. I remember being mad when Ke$ha went on break for like 2 years but it was worth it because her album was amazing. The Warrior era only under performed because Die young lost momentum cuz of the shooting thing but I still think it was a success over all. Gagas break isnt going to hurt her in fact it might actually help her because most people complained that she was 'overexposed' before.

Status
Not open for further replies.