• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoennMaster

ARTPOP was planned for a late-spring/early summer release but good old hip injury had other plans. I think taking so long to kick off the tour was the problem. It's not unheard of, but launching a tour to support a year old album wasn't the best move. Then again, considered the stage that tour had she may not have had a choice. I'm really curious as too how music is going to go down this fall. ARTPOP is coming in November which is right around the time Brit Brit likes to release her music.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
ARTPOP is coming in November which is right around the time Brit Brit likes to release her music.

And Rihanna if I'm not mistaken. At the rate she releases albums, I wouldn't be surprised if she has another album already completed soon and able to be released by then.

EDIT: Wow, I just looked it up, and Rihanna has released an album in November of every year from 2009-2012. I'd almost say a November 2013 album is guaranteed.

EDIT2: Well, for those of you who don't like Blurred Lines - Ariana Grande and 1D's new songs have been out for just over an hour, yet 1D is already at #10 and Ariana is already at #3. Looks like Blurred Lines is getting dethroned on iTunes for a little while.

Last edited:

HoennMaster

I've read that Rihanna is already working on album 8...at the rate she is going she is going to lose what very miniscule amount of music cred she has left. To expand on what you said, Rihanna has released a new album every year since 2005 minus 2008. And even then she re-released her album with new songs. It's insane. If she wants another number one she should probably wait for Queen B to announce her album release date.

Wow, I didn't realize Ariana had that big of a following at this point. My guess is that One Direction will catch up fairly quickly. I'm hoping they can get another Top 10. I'm loving Best Song Ever.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I hated all those songs because they were bad but I didn't think they were pandering to the gays. Gaga, Katy and Kesha all supported gay rights and marriage equality way before those songs were even released so its not like they were jumping on a band wagon for sales like Macklemore. :rolleyes:

Sounds like something a hater would say just because Gaga doesn't constantly release number one hits. This and your previous posts confirm my suspicions that unless an artist has a number one hit every month you don't bother with their music. I don't appreciate the whole band wagoning thing but if that's what you wanna do then more power to ya.

Watch one interview of Macklemore's discussing gay marriage. I dare you to say that after this. Also are Katy, Gaga, and Kesha lesbians?? According to you only gay people can sing about gay marriage *rolls eyes*

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Watch one interview of Macklemore's discussing gay marriage. I dare you to say that after this. Also are Katy, Gaga, and Kesha lesbians?? According to you only gay people can sing about gay marriage *rolls eyes*

Ke$ha identifies as a queer woman (◡‿◡✿)

And We R Who We R isn't only about gay marriage!!! (people who still believe Gay Marriage is the crux of the gay plight :rolleyes: ) it applies to literally any minority experiencing hardships that don't allow them to come out of their shell and express who they really are!!! see: the transgender community, queers, some POC's, etc etc.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Ke$ha identifies as a queer woman (◡‿◡✿)

And We R Who We R isn't only about gay marriage!!! (people who still believe Gay Marriage is the crux of the gay plight :rolleyes: ) it applies to literally any minority experiencing hardships that don't allow them to come out of their shell and express who they really are!!! see: the transgender community, queers, some POC's, etc etc.

Lol ok then.

I didn't even say that. I was just referring to the examples he posted lol.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I'm a little bit late on this, but Ellie Goulding is back with a brand new single, "Burn", and oh my god it sounds amazing:

[video=youtube;CGyEd0aKWZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGyEd0aKWZE[/video]

I really, really hope this smashes because it deserves to, especially after Anything Could Happen flopped when it was also amazing. Pop radio really needs to invite Ellie back after she dominated with "Lights" (technically she's the singer on "I Need Your Love", but that song doesn't sound anything like her own style).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some interesting news: A picture surfaced online of Lady Gaga next to what looks like a single cover, and it has the name "Applause". Someone who works really closely with Gaga confirmed that it's true. So looks like Artpop's lead single is "Applause".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 coming out tomorrow (chart dated August 3rd):

1. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke ft. T.I. & Pharrell (=) (7th week @ #1!)
2. "We Can't Stop" - Miley Cyrus (+1)
3. "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons (+1)
4. "Get Lucky" - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams (-2)
5. "Treasure" - Bruno Mars (+2)
6. "Can't Hold Us" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Day Dalton (-1)
7. "Cruise" - Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly (-1)
8. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake (=)
9. "Cups (When I'm Gone)" - Anna Kendrick (+1)
10. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake (-1)

Personal comments:
-7th week for Blurred Lines! It definitely has 11 weeks on lock, and then it will face off again Applause
-Haha, now Miley has TWO #2 peaks (Party in the USA also peaked at #2)
-Amazing that Radioactive can return to its peak in its 47th week on the chart. This song will never die
-Ew, Treasure is in the Top 5. Please don't rise any higher, this song is bad even for Bruno's standards
-I expected Holy Grail to have a pretty big post-debut jump. Guess not
-Cups is slowly but surely rising up the charts :D
-Mirrors needs to leave and make room for Same Love

Jimmy Ray

Banned
If you guys start this *****fest again, I'll close down this thread permanently. We've had like 4 pop threads now, and it always turns into people arguing and throwing *****y comments.

Not trying to tell you how to do your job or anything but wouldn't it make more sense to have threads for specific artists? That way fan wars wouldn't break out since everything would be separate. And may be make a Billboard thread too that could be updated regularly with chart position so this thread wouldn't get cluttered with that stuff? Just a suggestion.

Also are Katy, Gaga, and Kesha lesbians??

Well Katy did sing 'I Kissed a Girl'. :)

tumblr_m83x6gvG3M1ranhp2o2_250.gif

But the song is hot. A hit waiting to happen.

Geekachu

Some interesting news: A picture surfaced online of Lady Gaga next to what looks like a single cover, and it has the name "Applause". Someone who works really closely with Gaga confirmed that it's true. So looks like Artpop's lead single is "Applause".

Really don't like the title 'Applause' at all. I guess it hasn't been officially confirmed so I can still grasp onto some hope.

Also I can't believe Blurred Lines gained in airplay again. It's going to be difficult for any song to displace that.

Not trying to tell you how to do your job or anything but wouldn't it make more sense to have threads for specific artists? That way fan wars wouldn't break out since everything would be separate. And may be make a Billboard thread too that could be updated regularly with chart position so this thread wouldn't get cluttered with that stuff? Just a suggestion.

If you want a forum with different threads for different artists then go over to ATRL. The Misc section would just become oversaturated if everyone was allowed to create an individual thread for each artist, considering that there are other genres discussed on this board.

Jimmy Ray

Banned
If you want a forum with different threads for different artists then go over to ATRL. The Misc section would just become oversaturated if everyone was allowed to create an individual thread for each artist, considering that there are other genres discussed on this board.

Ha ha okay I was just suggesting that because I don't want this thread to become like that ATRL site. I've been there and this is turning into a miniature version of it. :(

About Gaga's new song tho, I don't like the song title. No offense but it does sound kind of pretentious to me like she's telling people to clap for her. But obviously we haven't heard the song so it could be totally different. I just dont want it to be a arrogant song if that makes sense.

Geekachu

Tune in on the 25th (August) gorls

[img139]http://act.mtv.com/files/2011/08/earthsong.gif[/img139]

christina perri's teeth really make me want to punch something

Why what's up with her teeth

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I'm a little bit late on this, but Ellie Goulding is back with a brand new single, "Burn", and oh my god it sounds amazing:

This. Awesome song. Really love the song, much better than 1D's Best Song Ever (jerks copied BAP's photo in the video!) although the song appealed to me more than all of their other songs!
Props to 1D for a great song, but even more props to Ellie Goulding for an even better song!

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I'm still very (happily) surprised at how well Burn is performing on iTunes. She was originally below both Ariana and Taylor's new releases, yet she's surpassed them now and has been the only one to secure a spot in the Top 10 (it's at #8 right now).

I hope this can avenge Anything Could Happen, which deserved to be a smash so badly. The more I listen to Burn, the more I think it's better than ACH

I really, really hope this smashes because it deserves to, especially after Anything Could Happen flopped when it was also amazing. Pop radio really needs to invite Ellie back after she dominated with "Lights" (technically she's the singer on "I Need Your Love", but that song doesn't sound anything like her own style).
Anyways, here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 coming out tomorrow (chart dated August 3rd):

1. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke ft. T.I. & Pharrell (=) (7th week @ #1!)
2. "We Can't Stop" - Miley Cyrus (+1)
3. "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons (+1)
4. "Get Lucky" - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams (-2)
5. "Treasure" - Bruno Mars (+2)
6. "Can't Hold Us" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Day Dalton (-1)
7. "Cruise" - Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly (-1)
8. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake (=)
9. "Cups (When I'm Gone)" - Anna Kendrick (+1)
10. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake (-1)

Personal comments:
-7th week for Blurred Lines! It definitely has 11 weeks on lock, and then it will face off again Applause
-Haha, now Miley has TWO #2 peaks (Party in the USA also peaked at #2)
-Amazing that Radioactive can return to its peak in its 47th week on the chart. This song will never die
-Ew, Treasure is in the Top 5. Please don't rise any higher, this song is bad even for Bruno's standards
-I expected Holy Grail to have a pretty big post-debut jump. Guess not
-Cups is slowly but surely rising up the charts :D
-Mirrors needs to leave and make room for Same Love

I seriously dunno when blurred lines is gonna leave the top spot! And Im not complaining!
No. No. Just No. We cant stop is #2. Does anyone have ears!
Radioactive is back in the top 3! But sadly get lucky falls.......
And in my opinion treasure is a good song, and hopefully it climbs higher!

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Really don't like the title 'Applause' at all. I guess it hasn't been officially confirmed so I can still grasp onto some hope.

It was officially confirmed today. Gaga announced it herself, and she said that she's releasing the single cover tonight.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Anything Could Happen was a good single (tbh it was 5th harmony who sold it for me). I'll give Burn a listen and edit this post later.

As for the Top 10, I'm still not sold on Blurred Lines. HOWEVER, I saw the video, and I think I know why it's #1 (you dirty, dirty boys).
Songs I might Download: Radioactive (I've been behind), Cups, Holy Grail
Also, if there should be any rap songs in the Top 10, I'm a little disappointed that there's no Kanye or J Cole.

Overall, I haven't been to invested in pop music this summer, so much so that I've been turning to the genres of my culture (e.g. bachata, salsa). Hopefully, it picks up

Status
Not open for further replies.