• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Coincidentally, Katy's rumoured to be released a second single on the 17th of September too. It's been posted around by some official sources who are citing a deal with Pepsi or something, but at the moment I'd be very wary of the accuracy of this since, well, two singles within a month?

Yeah, that wouldn't make sense. Roar is doing very well so far on radio and in terms of sales, and that's even after the whole "new Katy song" hype has worn off. It's going to be a pretty successful hit in the long run, so cutting it short by releasing a second single so soon wouldn't make sense.

The only thing I could think of is maybe she's doing what Gaga and Taylor Swift have done in the past, and releasing a couple of "album promo" singles leading up to the album's release date?

Geekachu

It could have the opposite effect like how We Found Love overshadowed You Da One.

Yeah, Billboard pretty much just confirmed it, so looks like Katy's going up for round two against Britney. Highly doubtful that it will be a second single but at the same time the 17th is like a month before the album.

Within that article they also seemingly confirmed that, while Gaga opens, Katy will close the VMA's.

[img139]http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/tumblr_lwg6i8oZFq1qzjix8.gif[/img139]

Last edited:

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
It could have the opposite effect like how We Found Love overshadowed You Da One.

Yeah, Billboard pretty much just confirmed it, so looks like Katy's going up for round two against Britney. Highly doubtful that it will be a second single but at the same time the 17th is like a month before the album.

Within that article they also seemingly confirmed that, while Gaga opens, Katy will close the VMA's.

[img139]http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/tumblr_lwg6i8oZFq1qzjix8.gif[/img139]

Historically which has shown to have more of an impact? Opening or closing the VMAs?

Usually on the east coast the closing act gets cut off does it not? especially if they are running over on time?

HoennMaster

There's a countdown up on Britney's official website which I think is counting down to the 17th September, which was a previously rumoured date for a single release. She recently teased on twitter that new music is coming 'sooner than [we] think' so I guess this may be a new single from Britney.

Alas, my true Queen returns! Although titling the song "All Eyes on Me" (provided that is actually the title), is going to confuse me for a while. Anytime I say All Eyes on Me I start singing Circus.

Last edited:

Geekachu

No idea. Coincidentially the three most memorable I can think of all belong to Britney; I don't know whether this is 100% accurate but she infamously opened with Gimme More and also performed (and kissed) Madonna during the Hollywood medley, and then apparently she closed with Slave 4 U with the snake around her shoulders but I'm not entirely sure if that was a closer.

Good luck to both though. I'm sure Gaga will perform on point and Katy's rumoured to be jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge during her's because

I guess

we wanna see her be brave :p

Also *NSYNC are apparently reuniting at the VMA's. This is too funny. If only Britney and Christina performed it would be like old times haha.

Alas, my true Queen returns! Although titling the song "All Eyes on Me" (provided that is actually the title), is going to confuse me for a while. Anything I say All Eyes on Me I start singing Circus.

Hmm I thought that was a Circus reference. In fact I think it's too close to Circus to be the title.

Isn't it amazing and typical how we waited for a large release and then three come along at once? Apparently Beyonce might be revealing stuff soon too. This is a damn mess.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Wow, that was a lot to catch up on. Let's see what I can comment on:

Alas, my true Queen returns! Although titling the song "All Eyes on Me" (provided that is actually the title), is going to confuse me for a while. Anything I say All Eyes on Me I start singing Circus.

I think of Britney saying "all eyes on us" in that ridiculous accent. Damn you, will.i.am.

Historically which has shown to have more of an impact? Opening or closing the VMAs?

For me, I would say the closing. Songs that come to my mind are Kanye's "Run Away" (I mean, that was his redemption song after the T-Swift incident) and, ugh, Lil Wayne's "Damn, People Like My Music?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ewB-o5N9A

Lady who?

Come to me Janelle Come to me September 10th slay this vapid awful 2013

I agree that it's a really nice song. I've always appreciated her style (and I guess you haven't been enjoying Macklemore).

Well I mean there are parts of the music video where she (as a human) is dancing in an elevated cage. So she's probably just going to recreate that at the beginning of her performance.

Anyways, "What Now" is rumoured to be Rihanna's next worldwide single from Unapologetic assuming that she isn't just going to ditch Unapologetic all together and just release a new single from R8. Anyways, this song is very clear evidence that I got tired of Unapologetic and all of its bad songs when I first listened because if I had actually listened to the whole thing, there's no way I would have forgotten about this masterpiece. Where has this been hiding, why is such an amazing song on such a bad album and can the rumour about this being a single please be true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBH_OBNbyuc

I doubt I'd like it as much as Stay, because Stay was very simple (and it's fun to play on piano). Overall, I enjoyed the song but I felt that the end was a bit much with her lack of singing and use of electric guitar.

The video for Applause is now up!

[video=youtube;pco91kroVgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pco91kroVgQ[/video]

I guess the thread doesn't like a video. I thought it wasn't that bad. I agree that it was a lot in a few minutes, but some of the themes were pretty cool. The song itself doesn't have much meaning for me. I believe it was Robert who said this, but Lady Gaga talking about how she loves the applause is a self-centered, and while I understand that's the life of someone with that occupation, it's not something I can relate to. Otherwise, it's catchier than anything I've heard from BTW, so I'm actually looking forward to what she does next.

Phew, I guess that's everything. I might edit this, though.

Ke$ha

Banned
Glad Britney is releasing a new song soon. I keep thinking it'll sound like Circus.

The song itself doesn't have much meaning for me. I believe it was Robert who said this, but Lady Gaga talking about how she loves the applause is a self-centered, and while I understand that's the life of someone with that occupation, it's not something I can relate to.

She said yesterday in a interview that the song isn't about her looking for attention and that instead its about her wanting people to have a good time. Like how her fans clap and cheer when they're enjoying themselves at her concerts. That's supposed to be the inspiration for the song.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
The video for Applause is now up!

[video=youtube;pco91kroVgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pco91kroVgQ[/video]

I really like it when Gaga had minimal make up and the headcover (forgot that term). I thought it looked better than all of the messy make-up in the rest of the video.

HoennMaster

So according to MTV the song that Katy releases in September is going to be fan chosen. She will slowly releases lyrics throughout the next month and then fans will get to vote which of two songs they want early. I might have read it wrong, but it seems to imply it will be more of a promotional single than a regular single.

As for the question about VMA opening and closing performances, it really depends on the performance itself. Britney's 2000 performance (Oops!) was during the middle of the show and yet that is most remembered. However, Britney has opened the show twice and closed once and all three of those are iconic performances (sadly 2007 is) so it's really up in the air.

Isn't it amazing and typical how we waited for a large release and then three come along at once? Apparently Beyonce might be revealing stuff soon too. This is a damn mess.

Britney is the only one that matters :D:p

Hey, at least we are going to have lots of new music around the same time....plus October/November is basically Britney's territory. 4 of her 7 albums came out in that time frame.

Geekachu

So according to MTV the song that Katy releases in September is going to be fan chosen. She will slowly releases lyrics throughout the next month and then fans will get to vote which of two songs they want early. I might have read it wrong, but it seems to imply it will be more of a promotional single than a regular single.

Seemingly. The lyrics leaked too because apparently they're doing this reveal process so finding the full images wasn't difficult. The two songs are titled Walking on Air and Dark Horse, those links leading to the lyrics. Katy coming for Metacritic scores again.

Hey, at least we are going to have lots of new music around the same time....plus October/November is basically Britney's territory. 4 of her 7 albums came out in that time frame.

Isn't Rihanna Queen of November though?

[img139]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr4y3yN74L1r2hybuo1_500.gif[/img139]

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
The two songs are titled Walking on Air and Dark Horse, those links leading to the lyrics. Katy coming for Metacritic scores again.

I feel like walking on air might sound like Hummingbird Heartbeat. I mean, I tried to imagine Katy's voice singing the lyrics.
I don't know about Dark Horse though. I'm thinking the video where Katy lights the match in the darkness? Maybe not.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Well, the sales numbers are in. Roar sold 557,000, which is the sixth highest weekly total ever and the third highest for a song in its debut week. Applause sold 218,000, good for a #3 debut on the Digital Songs chart.

Anyways, here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (chart dated August 31st):

1. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke ft. T.I. & Pharrell (=) (11th week @ #1!)
2. "Roar" - Katy Perry (+83)
3. "We Can't Stop" - Miley Cyrus (-1)
4. "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons (-1)
5. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake (=)
6. "Applause" - Lady Gaga (DEBUT)
7. "Get Lucky" - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams (-3)
8. "Treasure" - Bruno Mars (-1)
9. "Cups (When I'm Gone)" - Anna Kendrick (-3)
10. "Safe And Sound" - Capital Cities (-1)

Personal comments:
-So where are all of those people who told me how ridiculous and stupid I was for believing that BL even had a chance of blocking Katy and Gaga when I made the suggestion LAST MONTH?
-Speaking of which, this week Blurred Lines gets the longest running #1 of the decade so far, beating out We Found Love's 10 weeks
-I saw a lot of people predicted Appluase would debut very close to the bottom of the Top 10, so #6 is a very pleasant surprised
-Treasure needs to get out of the Top 10. Now
-I hope Cups's fall is only due to the debuts. I don't want its run to end already
-Patiently waiting until Royals finally makes it into the Top 10. It should at least be Top 20 this week

Geekachu

I don't think many people expected any of them to dethrone BL so soon. I think you should calm down lmao. I knew Katy wouldn't do it this week and even next week she's going to have a fight on her hands.

Otherwise #6 is higher than what I would have expected for Applause. It's surely going to rise next week, probably to #4, so that's pretty good. While I don't think we should kid ourselves in thinking a 218,000 debut is good for her comeback single, I still think we should give it time to grow. I've been looking on some forums and for people who were so critical of Born This Way being frontloaded, a lot of them have been all-too-ready to praise Katy's debut. For one, Rihanna's last two lead singles debuted with less than 200,000 sales. Success is all about the finish and not the start.

Edit: oh and Gaga did a radio interview that confirmed the sequel to the Telephone video will be released, the song to said video will be performed during the iTunes festival on September 1st (possible second single? Gimme Aura) and that Azealia Banks definitely won't be on ARTPOP. Shame because Azealia's such a great talent.

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I don't think many people expected any of them to dethrone BL so soon. I think you should calm down lmao. I knew Katy wouldn't do it this week and even next week she's going to have a fight on her hands.

Well I specifically remember asking a month ago whether Blurred Lines could survive the big pop debuts, and one person (I can't remember who it was) told me that "if WFL couldn't make it past 10 weeks, BL definitely won't" and that "anybody who believes BL can last so long is wrong IMO". So I'm not being paranoid. You might have realized that BL would stay at #1, but other people tried to fight me on it.

And I wasn't even mad when I made that comment, it was supposed to be a joke. Why does everybody take everything so seriously in this thread all the time?

The Meddler

Never Forget
"Royals" by Lorde is an amazing song, after it already topped the Alternative chart, I see no reason why it shouldn't charge into the top 10, and possibly even top the pop chart too for crossover success.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
"Royals" by Lorde is an amazing song, after it already topped the Alternative chart, I see no reason why it shouldn't charge into the top 10, and possibly even top the pop chart too for crossover success.

Oh my god, thank you. I keep on posting about it in the thread, waiting for somebody to share my love for it. 2013 has yet to have a female "breakout" artist and hasn't even had that much female domination at all, so I'm hoping Lorde changes this.

I'm not the only one who has learned that some little monsters are offering, um, sexual favors in exchange for people buying receipts.

i hope katy perry continues to outsell gaga because i need more craigslist ads to laugh at in my life.

Chris-kun

i still believe
Shame because Azealia's such a great talent.

And also a super **** who starts fights with any and everyone and throws around shade at artists who're way more successful than she could ever hope to be with her lack of flow and shitty beats. Frankly, I hope no one mainstream associates with her because she's been SO rude and SO offensive that giving her success would be so undeserved

Mxmeltdown

Veteran Trainer
I really have to say that seeing Gaga smile in this music video made it stand out for me. I've loved her for along time but then my fandom started to fade a bit.
She's genuinely smiling and looks like she's having, dare I say it, FUN!
Applause might sneak its way up the charts, who knows.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I'm not the only one who has learned that some little monsters are offering, um, sexual favors in exchange for people buying receipts.

i hope katy perry continues to outsell gaga because i need more craigslist ads to laugh at in my life.

Well, if there are any parents that should worry, it's the parents of these misguided girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.