• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris-kun

i still believe
The first half of her set was GOLD and then it literally went to ****. The rest was AWFUL. Pure awful. Also her lyrics this era are atrocious, not that she's ever been brilliant lyrically but this time especially she's just really bad.

Aura - More of it works than doesn't, I like it enough and the chorus is pretty good.
MANiCURE - It's basically the 80s meets The Fame, I'm here for it.
ARTPOP - Yes. Just all the yes.
Jewels & Drugs All the no. She said TI wasn't allowed in the country, and after this song, they shouldn't have let HER in the country. Jesus CHRIST was was Intrescope thinking letting her make this song?
Sex Dreams - I dig it, the chorus is boring but I like the rest a lot.
Swine - vomit. Seriously, this was a trainwreck. An absolute trainwreck and if it's really the second single be ready for your album to be the Bionic of 2013.
I Wanna Be With You - I liked it, but I'm not getting attached. The last thing I need is to get attached to this song and then have her Shania it up on ARTPOP and make it awful

HoennMaster

Aw gotcha. Just making sure no shade is being thrown Shania's way :p

Well it was produced by the same person who produced three of Shania's albums so yeah it was bound to sound very similar. Maybe that's why I don't care for the song.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Well DJ White Shadow confirmed that I Wanna Be With You will remain acoustic in its studio version, so it looks like she won't be "Shania-ing" this one. And I'm glad she's keeping it acoustic - Rihanna and Bruno releasing soft, simple ballads did wonders for their reputations, so I think Gaga could benefit from a song like this too.

HoennMaster

I wouldn't say Stay helped Rihanna's reputation lol. She's got way to much to make up for lol

So apparently it has been confirmed that Britney is featured on Miley's new album. Should be interesting.

BTW, Gaga herself asked fans what they want the next ARTPOP single to be: Aura, Swine, Sex Dreams or Manicure.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
BTW, Gaga herself asked fans what they want the next ARTPOP single to be: Aura, Swine, Sex Dreams or Manicure.

If the Little Monsters don't pick Aura or MANiCURE as the next single, they're not allowed to complain if her next single flops because it'll be their fault.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
On Twitter, Swine is beating Aura and Sex Dreams is destroying MANiCURE. I quite like Sex Dreams as a song, but the Monsters are digging a grave for themselves if they genuinely believe that it will be successful as a proper radio single. Aura has one of Gaga's most infectious choruses, and MANiCURE's song is overall pretty radio friendly. To me, they're the obvious choices.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
I don' know anything about radio friendliness, I just know that, out of all the songs performed, I only enjoyed Artpop. :p

Chris-kun

i still believe
Honestly, Aura's too controversial to get airpay imo. Even if the chorus is catchy, I feel like it'll get more backlash and end up underperforming ala Judas.

Really, I can't see anything from this era being a chart success. ARTPOP doesn't sound like a radio friendly album at all from the 8 or so tracks we have now.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So fifth harmony just released a new music video for me and my girls:

[video=youtube;FvSJmY493Ho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvSJmY493Ho[/video]

I gotta say I'm loving it. It's catchy as hell and the beat is awesome :)!!

Geekachu

Where is the controversy aside from the final line tho?

Aura's probably the Telephone continuation though so that would have pretty good exposure alone. The chorus is great but it's main problem is that it's so sporadic and messy elsewhere. Elsewhere I literally can't comprehend how the monsters are overrating Sex Dreams so much. Manicure is catchy but it's too camp and Swine is a no-go area for radio.

Honestly, no stanbase can really talk about smashes and Gaga seemingly giving power to the monsters for the second single is digging a bigger grave. I mean, if you played Blurred Lines or Thrift Shop to ATRLers before they were released they'd be deemed as 'basic' and 'flops', yet you play them a dancepop track by a female artist and it's automatically a 'smash' or a 'bop'. It will be interesting to see how this plays out but at the moment it doesn't look good.

I actually think it may be surprising but maybe ARTPOP would be a good choice. It seemed to have the best reception by non-stans, it's deadfully catchy and it's relatively unassuming. It may sound risky but I think it could work.

Last edited:

Chris-kun

i still believe
Where is the controversy aside from the final line tho?

tumblr was alight with backlash when it leaked, and the controversial history of it originally being called Burqa will come to light, plus the whole song is appropriation anyway. I don't think it's a commercially smart move to release Aura, but nothing really works for the radio either. I don't think, personally, Gaga's even TRYING for radio success with ARTPOP.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Geekachu said:
I actually think it may be surprising but maybe ARTPOP would be a good choice. It seemed to have the best reception by non-stans,
it's deadfully catchy and it's relatively unassuming. It may sound risky but I think it could work.

I've been hoping ARTPOP actually gets some airplay, if not the other "radio-unfriendly" tracks (just wish the DJ's and audiences would grow up about Aura). Applause was great, but ARTPOP is a bit more appealing for my taste.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
The Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (chart dated September 14th):

1. "Roar" - Katy Perry (+1) (1st week @ #1!)
2. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke ft. T.I. & Pharrell (-1)
3. "Berzerk" - Eminem (DEBUT)
4. "We Can't Stop" - Miley Cyrus (-1)
5. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake (+1)
6. "Applause" - Lady Gaga (-2)
7. "Wake Me Up" - Avicii (=)
8. "Royals" - Lorde (+4)
9. "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons (-4)
10. "Summertime Sadness" - Lana Del Rey & Cedric Gervais (-1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. "Wrecking Ball" - Miley Cyrus (+36)

Personal comments:
-Part of me wishes that Blurred Lines could have broken the all time weeks at #1 record not because I think it deserves it, but I would have liked to see the record being broken. Overall, it certainly had a very good run at #1, I just wish a song other than Roar were the one replacing it
-Glad to see Gaga still in the Top 5. I expected her to drop out of it after the music video release died down this week. I spoke too soon. Billboard got some data wrong, Applause is really at #6
-YES ROYALS IN THE TOP 10!!!!! I really, really, really hope this hits #1 after Roar
-Radioactive continues to make a case for itself as a potential candidate for breaking the "most weeks on the chart" record

Last edited:
The Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (chart dated September 14th):

1. "Roar" - Katy Perry (+1) (1st week @ #1!)
2. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke ft. T.I. & Pharrell (-1)
3. "Berzerk" - Eminem (DEBUT)
4. "We Can't Stop" - Miley Cyrus (-1)
5. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake (+1)
6. "Applause" - Lady Gaga (-2)
7. "Wake Me Up" - Avicii (=)
8. "Royals" - Lorde (+4)
9. "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons (-4)
10. "Summertime Sadness" - Lana Del Rey & Cedric Gervais (-1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. "Wrecking Ball" - Miley Cyrus (+36)

Personal comments:
-Part of me wishes that Blurred Lines could have broken the all time weeks at #1 record not because I think it deserves it, but I would have liked to see the record being broken. Overall, it certainly had a very good run at #1, I just wish a song other than Roar were the one replacing it
-Glad to see Gaga still in the Top 5. I expected her to drop out of it after the music video release died down this week. I spoke too soon. Billboard got some data wrong, Applause is really at #6
-YES ROYALS IN THE TOP 10!!!!! I really, really, really hope this hits #1 after Roar
-Radioactive continues to make a case for itself as a potential candidate for breaking the "most weeks on the chart" record
And it ends...... Sad times people :(. Well Thicke certainly had a good run. Hopefullyvhe can have more hits in the future.
Roar at #1is no real surprise, but i really dont see it as anything spectacular.
Also nice high debut for eminem. Dunno if he can topple Katy though.
Nice to see Avicii doing well too, it was only a matter of time until Wake Me Up infected the US chart.
Imagine dragons take a tumble but still in topten, so all is good.

Peter Quill

star-lord

I really do agree on the latter part since as much as I love One Sweet Day it should get broken eventually. I think it would have been really bad though if a misogynist song like Blurred Lines was the one to do it though.

And it ends...... Sad times people :(. Well Thicke certainly had a good run. Hopefullyvhe can have more hits in the future.

Your joking right?? That misogynist song shouldn't have ever topped the charts to start with. It was an offensive sex anthem that was degrading to women and I thank the lord in heaven that another song finally dethroned it. I'm starting to like Roar more and more so it's only a plus that it was the one who landed the killing blow.

Too bad about Applause though that song had potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.