• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Also relevant, this Popjustice article on what should be the next Gaga single. I'm inclined to agree.

The problem I have with this opinion is that they think Sex Dreams would be a better single than Aura even though the two songs suffer from the exact same problems. Both songs have risky lyrics, both songs have controversy surrounding them, and both have really weird sounding verses that the public might not get attached to. The only difference is Aura has an absolutely killer chorus that's catchy as hell, while Sex Dreams... doesn't. Although I do agree that most Aura voters are voting for it because of the Telephone continuation (although I personally voted for it because I do genuinely think it could be an interesting single choice).

In all honesty, if she really wants a safe, radio friendly hit, MANiCURE is the obvious choice (then again, most of its chorus sounds like it comes off a song from MDNA, and god knows Gaga doesn't need even more Madonna comparisons)

HoennMaster

Fianlly Blurred Lines is off the top. I love the song, but I'm getting tired of hearing it.

Part of me is cheering for Miley and part of me is looking the other way.

Of all the ARTPOP songs we have heard, ARTPOP and Manicure are Gaga's best choices. Aura will bomb on radio, Sex Dreams will just be meh, and Swine will probably bomb on everything minus maybe Youtube streams.

Geekachu

As for the popjustice article Gaga actually responded to it on twitter. Sex Dreams is winning all the polls thus far, it was originally going to be the lead so I think 9/10 it will probably be the second single, if not then another track we haven't heard yet.

Gaga actually confirmed as well on Twitter that none of the tracks played at iTunes were actually studio versions. This could be as superficial as the studio version not having live instruments or seventy layers of DJWS' over-production, but it could also imply elements being left out or drastically changed. For example I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Aura version performed at the festival was actually just the demo to tease everyone. There could be the possibility of a collaboration being omitted too.

ChloboShoka

Writer
Only ten days till Flatline by MKS gets released. I don't know anybody who hates the song. But it makes me think that Sugababes 4.0 was all just a marketing scheme to promote the original sugababes. I love all of them but I think their management was bad and their lying is appalling. If they really didn't care about the name or had the original rights to it why would they have needed to sue Sugababes 4.0 in the first place. They've announced that they don't hate the new line up and they're happy to start a fresh. Oh well Flatline was worth waiting for.

Geekachu

[video=youtube;CevxZvSJLk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8[/video]

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Just going by the one frame shown without playing it, I can say that that video is probably legitimately the corniest thing in the world. I say this living in corn country, I think my judgment here holds some weight.

I really do agree on the latter part since as much as I love One Sweet Day it should get broken eventually. I think it would have been really bad though if a misogynist song like Blurred Lines was the one to do it though.

It kinda would have made us, as a collective, look like **** if we (as a collective) had made that the record-breaking song.

Maybe Robin is crying over a woman beating him in the charts. We can only hope.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Official music video for Roar

[video=youtube;CevxZvSJLk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8[/video]

This is exactly like every single other music video Katy has ever made. Take a sweet, simple premise, tell its story from start to finish in 4 minutes and have some nice looking make up and/or special effect. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely simple and predictable.

Ke$ha

Banned
I keep waiting for Katy to give me a visually interesting video to rival the E.T. vid but all her videos since then have been predictable even the Part of Me vid in my opinion. No matter how hard she tries her videos always end up being really corny and not interesting at all. I love Roar with all my heart but the video does nothing for me. It's just so basic.

Geekachu

See corny can work if it's intentional, and it's not as if this video was trying to do anything other than that. The main problem was that the main 'plot' was covered within the first and last thirty seconds of the video, so in between that time it was basically 'well, hey, let's just look pretty in front of some jungle scenery'.

More Katy Perry news: on GMA she revealed the album cover to Prism

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTeqICBIEAArGSb.jpg[/img139]

iirc on Monday's GMA Gaga will be performing Applause and on Tuesday Britney will be appearing.

HoennMaster

and on Tuesday Britney will be appearing.

Next Tuesday, the 17th. She will debut her new single. God I am so fing excited. My queen is back! Ah life is good again.

I actually liked the Roar video. It was soo cheesy it was delicious. I like the album cover. Very simple but it definitely doesn't look like the departure from Teenage Dream she claimed it was.

See corny can work if it's intentional, and it's not as if this video was trying to do anything other than that. The main problem was that the main 'plot' was covered within the first and last thirty seconds of the video, so in between that time it was basically 'well, hey, let's just look pretty in front of some jungle scenery'.

More Katy Perry news: on GMA she revealed the album cover to Prism

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTeqICBIEAArGSb.jpg[/img139]

iirc on Monday's GMA Gaga will be performing Applause and on Tuesday Britney will be appearing.

The Prism cover is so basic I literally thought it was fan made. What is up with Katy this era? The visuals just suck not that she was an amazing visual artist before but c'mon.

RickHoenn

Banned
Roar is slaying across the airwaves, this song is HUGE, hear it every hour on the radio..

I love how established she is amongst adult pop stations. She just appeals to everyone without being try-hard and over the top, just with a charismatic persona and great pop music is enough oh and a little bit of boobs. :p

Last edited:

Asuka

Banned
She just appeals to everyone without being try-hard and over the top,

Oh yeah wearing a cheese block on her head at the 2011 VMAs and all the other ridiculous stuff she's done in her videos for attention like shooting cream from her boobs was so not try-hard. /sarcasm Your shade is very transparent but I'll agree that Roar is a big radio hit.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
So I finally listened to "Roar". Good goddamn, I've seen Katy Perry be arrogant and obnoxious, but those are attitudes she wears well. I never expected her to be this dull. It's a song all about shouting proudly, but it's sung with so little energy and enthusiasm, and is full of such rote "believe-in-yourself" clichés apparently rejected from "Firework" for being too obvious ("Scared to rock the boat", "You held me down but I got up", "zero to hero", "eye of the tiger", motherlovin' "floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee"?!), it utterly fails to get you pumped. There's no driving guitar rising gloriously above, the percussion sounds so muted and weak it's like they're made of paper...I know Perry's borrowed from Queen before with "E.T." reusing the drumbeat from "We Will Rock You", and this is an attempt to make a big anthemic inspirational stadium rock ballad, but she is no Freddie Mercury. Freddie could elevate subpar material just through force of personality - "Under Pressure" doesn't even have finished lyrics, but he and Bowie willed it into being better. Perry just ain't got it, even at her loudest.

It's a Xerox of "Firework", but at least "Firework" had good production. "Roar" doesn't sound cheap, but it sounds minimal, and hacky: the producers went into this track at 8:30 in the morning, nursing their hangover with a Starbucks, and said, bleary-eyed, "You know what? Let's not do anything fancy or memorable, let's just make Katy sound less like an airhorn in labour and take a half-day. Sound good?" There's absolutely nothing remarkable about the music here: it doesn't change or progress in any way, it just kinda stays in a rut. "Roar" aims for one mood, that of vaguely inspirational platitudes, and strums it numbly. I had to will myself to listen to it all the way through.

Actually, I've just realised what "Roar" is. It's the musical equivalent of this:

[img139]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmwu4qamAv1qci8czo1_500.jpg[/img139]

HoennMaster

Katy premiered 12 of Prism's 16 songs (13 standard, 16 deluxe) at a premiere party the other night. Confirmed titles are:

Roar
Legendary Lovers
Birthday
Walking On Air
Unconditionally
Dark Horse
This Is How We Do
International Smile
Ghost
Love Me
Double Rainbow
By The Grace Of God

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
Katy premiered 12 of Prism's 16 songs (13 standard, 16 deluxe) at a premiere party the other night. Confirmed titles are:

Roar
Legendary Lovers
Birthday
Walking On Air
Unconditionally
Dark Horse
This Is How We Do
International Smile
Ghost
Love Me
Double Rainbow
By The Grace Of God

Are their going to be any guests on it (Like Snoop Dog for teenage dream)?

HoennMaster

So Britney basically confirmed that Work ***** is indeed her single title. Can't wait to hear it! Apparently she co-wrote it to so people can get off her back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.