• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekachu

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
[video=youtube;A3jzMyYgPQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3jzMyYgPQs[/video]

It's catchy for sure. I really like it. I didn't even need R Kelly but he's not bad on it.

Ehh I expected better. The slow tempo and simplicity, and even the R. Kelly featuring, definitely make this song catchier than Applause, but still. The message of the song is pretty similar to Blurred Lines, and the words are even more similar to Christina Aguilera's Your Body, and imo those songs are better (the former being way catchier and the latter having better vocals). It's not bad, but there's better out there for this kind of song.

HoennMaster

[video=youtube;Mr1tYeu2cGw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr1tYeu2cGw&feature=em-uploademail[/video]

It definitely sounds better live, but I still love this song.

Ke$ha

Banned
Ehh I expected better. The slow tempo and simplicity, and even the R. Kelly featuring, definitely make this song catchier than Applause, but still. The message of the song is pretty similar to Blurred Lines, and the words are even more similar to Christina Aguilera's Your Body, and imo those songs are better (the former being way catchier and the latter having better vocals). It's not bad, but there's better out there for this kind of song.

How is DWUW like Blurred Lines? I wasn't aware that DWUW was about rape.

The song is good but it sounds like something that I've heard before. I liked the ARTPOP snippet more because the song has a groovy vibe to it that I love. It's really chill and not completely over produced like BTW's songs.

Chris-kun

i still believe
The song is good but it sounds like something that I've heard before. I liked the ARTPOP snippet more because the song has a groovy vibe to it that I love. It's really chill and not completely over produced like BTW's songs.

I'm noticing this about a lot of the tunes on ARTPOP we've gotten access to so far. It sounds like she's learned that people didn't dig the mess that was BTW's production

Guyguymon

I created SPINXOR

How is Blurred Lines about not letting hater's words get to you?

Geekachu

Also, no 'free my mind ARTPOP' at the start?

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
How is DWUW like Blurred Lines? I wasn't aware that DWUW was about rape.

Okay, let's not be dramatic (oh wait. pop thread. who am i kidding?). Robin Thicke "knows you want it" while Gaga wants you to "do what you want" with her. I'm not saying they're the exact same thing, but DWUW feels a bit familiar, which is something you said in this very same post I'm quoting.

How is Blurred Lines about not letting hater's words get to you?

umm... what? actually, after you saying that, I looked up the lyrics and I see what you mean. You make a good point, but that still doesn't change the fact that she keeps talking about her body, unless her "body" is a metaphor for something else and if that's the case then well done, Gaga, and I say that half-heartedly because I'm still not sold on Gaga 2013.

Geekachu

I think the lyrics 'You can’t have my heart / And you won't use my mind but / Do what you want (with my body)' clarify enough that the song isn't necessarily about sex and, if her recent twitter tirade is anything to go by, that it's a song about Gaga's relationship with the media and how, despite being able to manipulate and contort the surface, public view of Gaga, they can't change her own inner emotional reality. Obviously the sexual metaphors are there but it's such a common structure for pop songs.

Even from a sexual perspective 'do what u want' is so incredibly different to the 'I know you want it' rape anthem that it's worrying to even think they are paralleled in the slightest.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I think the lyrics 'You can’t have my heart / And you won't use my mind but / Do what you want (with my body)' clarify enough that the song isn't necessarily about sex and, if her recent twitter tirade is anything to go by, that it's a song about Gaga's relationship with the media and how, despite being able to manipulate and contort the surface, public view of Gaga, they can't change her own inner emotional reality. Obviously the sexual metaphors are there but it's such a common structure for pop songs.

Even from a sexual perspective 'do what u want' is so incredibly different to the 'I know you want it' rape anthem that it's worrying to even think they are paralleled in the slightest.

Is it safe to say that I've never understood Gaga? Neither, for that matter, has the general public, which explains why she's never at the very top of the charts. Like I said before, I'll give her credit for the metaphors, but I'm not sold. But I'll admit I made an inaccurate analysis of the song (probably because I lost interest midway).

Dax

Legend
Is it safe to say that I've never understood Gaga? Neither, for that matter, has the general public, which explains why she's never at the very top of the charts. Like I said before, I'll give her credit for the metaphors, but I'm not sold. But I'll admit I made an inaccurate analysis of the song (probably because I lost interest midway).

What do you mean she's never at the top of the charts? She's #1 on iTunes in 70 countries with "Do What U Want". She sold 100,000 copies of it in the US in less than 24 hours. She's on top, alright.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
What do you mean she's never at the top of the charts? She's #1 on iTunes in 70 countries with "Do What U Want". She sold 100,000 copies of it in the US in less than 24 hours. She's on top, alright.

Meaning she's not as dominant on radio airplay and Billboards as she used to be. Her fans are mostly little monsters, not so much the public, which I guess is working for her, but she's still losing to Miley, Katy, Lorde, etc, in a general basis. There was a time where everyone, casual pop fans and obsessive monsters alike, took everything Gaga released and ran with it. And I guess you can argue that everyone reaches their peak, but Katy's been around just as long and her popularity hasn't stopped growing. Maybe DWYW is her rise back to the top (those numbers sound impressive) but I'm always gonna be skeptical about Gaga.

Dax

Legend
Venus was cancelled as the second single. Do What U Want now takes its place. Welcome to The Edge of Glory 2.0. I'm scared. :(

Geekachu

Is it safe to say that I've never understood Gaga? Neither, for that matter, has the general public, which explains why she's never at the very top of the charts.

What kinda ATRL shade *** thing u tryna pull here? I swear people are so blinded by statistics sometimes. Look at 'Stan' and 'I'm A Slave 4 U', two amazingly impactful songs that didn't even hit the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. Saying that someone isn't on top or at least affluent in pop culture because of statistics Billboard dishes out is silly. People remembered Michael and Madonna for their iconic outfits and videos, not for where their seventeenth single charted on the Hot 100 or how much AI it generated. I mean Lorde, ffffffff, she's had one hit song and an overrated album let's not get carried away.

HoennMaster

Slave didn't even make the Top 20 on the hot 100 and yet the VMA performance of it is one of the most memorable moments of Britney's career and it's still considered a fan favorite.

Meaning she's not as dominant on radio airplay

Applause is Gaga's second biggest radio hit in the US. Yeah, the song that 'under performed' according to most people.

and Billboards as she used to be.

She hasn't been a consistent chart topper to begin with. She only has 3 number ones on Billboard and two of them were sleeper hits.

Her fans are mostly little monsters, not so much the public, which I guess is working for her, but she's still losing to Miley, Katy, Lorde, etc, in a general basis.

So she has a fan base who supports her. What's the problem?? And wow at you comparing her to Lorde. She's currently a one hit wonder with a decent debut album. Nothing more, nothing less.

There was a time where everyone, casual pop fans and obsessive monsters alike, took everything Gaga released and ran with it.

Back when she released generic pop songs about love games and telephones, sure. But she's growing as an artist and is trying to broaden her craft. If the general public can't accept that then it only shows how fickle they are.

And I guess you can argue that everyone reaches their peak, but Katy's been around just as long and her popularity hasn't stopped growing.

Katy release generic radio songs that are catered to the general public. She's as manufactured as can be but her songs are relatable so I'll give her that. Still I'm pretty sure Gaga makes more coins than Katy does.

Maybe DWYW is her rise back to the top (those numbers sound impressive) but I'm always gonna be skeptical about Gaga.

So Gaga will always be on your mind? Good to know. Btw, pre-order ARTPOP on iTunes.

Last edited:

Peter Quill

star-lord
Back when she released generic pop songs about love games and telephones, sure. But she's growing as an artist and is trying to broaden her craft. If the general public can't accept that then it only shows how fickle they are.

I thought The Fame was a pretty subversive album all around, but maybe that was just me. Still one of the best debut albums imo (Although I suppose Telephone is Fame Monster isn't it)

actually I'm listening to DWYW and is it just me or does it sound a la Fame Monster do you? Not that it's a bad thing.

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I died of laughter when I read the news that Venus is being cancelled as the single and being replaced with Do What U Want BEFORE VENUS IS EVEN RELEASED. Seriously, I understand that Do What U Want is blowing away expectations and performing really well (plus it's a good song), but for all Gaga knows, she can release Venus and it can do even better. This just seems like a very rash decision, if you ask me.

Anyways, if any of you are listening to a really fun, good quality pop album, go listen to Fifth Harmony's new EP. It's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.