• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax

Legend
Mary Jane Holland is Heavy Metal Lover mixed with Bloody Mary and I live for those songs. I'm preferring her chill experimental songs rather than the massive pop jams like Venus and Applause.

I'm living for ARTPOP, Sexxx Dreams and MJH. This album can't be that good.

Also, Eminem's The Monster featuring Rihanna is amazing.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
An Eminem song featuring Rihanna for an album named "The Marshall Mathers LP 2"? I just don't know anymore.

I don't even dislike Rihanna's hook, but this sounds like something that even Flo Rida would have passed on.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
[video=youtube;RwD4eJGxPc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwD4eJGxPc4[/video]

So anybody else loving this song or is it just me??

Seriously I love Little Mix <3!!!

HoennMaster

^ Like the song and love Little Mix, but it's not my favorite of theirs

1. "Royals" - Lorde (=) (5th week @ #1)
2. "Roar" - Katy Perry (=)
3. "Wrecking Ball" - Miley Cyrus (=)
4. "Wake Me Up" - Avicii (=)
5. "Hold On, We're Going Home" - Drake ft. Majid Jordan (=)
6. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake (+2)
7. "Applause" - Lady Gaga (+2)
8. "Counting Stars" - One Republic (+7)
9. "Demons" - Imagine Dragons (+3)
10. "The Fox" - Ylvis (-4)

13. "Do What U Want" - Lady Gaga f. R. Kelly (DEBUT)
30. "Unconditionally" - Katy Perry (DEBUT)

Insert Blurred Lines comments below:

Last edited:

Dax

Legend
I'm so happy for One Republic. I love the song and I've always been a fan of them. I hope it stays top 10 for a while.

Congratulations to Applause for rising two spots. This song just doesn't give up. Do What U Want debuted higher than I expected.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
1. "Royals" - Lorde (=) (5th week @ #1)

Yay, 5th week for Lorde! Although The Monster, Counting Stars and Demons are all looking like potential future #1s, so I'm not sure how much longer this will last.

4. "Wake Me Up" - Avicii (=)
6. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake (+2)

The longevity of both of these songs have been amazing.

7. "Applause" - Lady Gaga (+2)

Huh, wasn't expecting that. Go Gaga!

8. "Counting Stars" - One Republic (+7)

FINALLY! I've literally been waiting for this to go Top 10 since the moment it came out. It's definitely one of OneRepublic's best songs, I hope it goes #1 or at least Top 3 down the line.

9. "Demons" - Imagine Dragons (+3)

It's strange, I really like Imagine Dragons and I do like this song, but there's something I can't explain that's stopping me from LOVING it.

13. "Do What U Want" - Lady Gaga f. R. Kelly (DEBUT)

Good debut. Hopefully it will peak in the Top 10 once airplay grows.

30. "Unconditionally" - Katy Perry (DEBUT)

It's such a tragedy how this beautiful song is even lower than the infinitely worse promo single, Dark Horse.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Yay, 5th week for Lorde! Although The Monster, Counting Stars and Demons are all looking like potential future #1s, so I'm not sure how much longer this will last.

The longevity of both of these songs have been amazing.

Huh, wasn't expecting that. Go Gaga!

FINALLY! I've literally been waiting for this to go Top 10 since the moment it came out. It's definitely one of OneRepublic's best songs, I hope it goes #1 or at least Top 3 down the line.

It's strange, I really like Imagine Dragons and I do like this song, but there's something I can't explain that's stopping me from LOVING it.

Good debut. Hopefully it will peak in the Top 10 once airplay grows.

It's such a tragedy how this beautiful song is even lower than the infinitely worse promo single, Dark Horse.

Aww :(...but I love dark horse..it's one of my favorites of hers and is so unique and edgy.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails

Monek_OP

bernie2016

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
ARTPOP HAS LEAKED. Downloading now. I'm so excited.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker

JohnnyC

Gaga's music is trash

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Just finished listening to ARTPOP, and I've gotta say that this is an AMAZING album. With Born This Way, I made a clear division between songs I liked and songs I didn't like. With ARTPOP, the songs on the lower half of my ranking are songs I still loved, but just found that other songs were better. There is practically zero filler on this album, which is great. Gaga made us wait for this one, but it was definitely worth it.

Anyways, here's my ranking after my very first listen. As I listen to the album more, this will probably change drastically and I'll come back to this post and laugh hysterically, but here it is for now:

1. Gypsy
2. Mary Jane Holland
3. Donatella
4. Fashion!
5. Venus
6. Sexxx Dreams
7. Swine
8. G.U.Y.
9. Artpop
10. MANiCURE
11. Dope
12. Do What U Want
13. Aura
14. Applause
15. Jewels 'n' Drugs

Geekachu

I've heard pretty much most of ARTPOP in HQ and at the moment I'm slightly unsure as to what I make of the album. As a pop album it's a solid effort. The core pop songwriting that was absent for part of Born This Way has thankfully returned and the songs are far more streamlined, also benefited by the lack of Fernando Garibary and the (highly welcome) introduction of Zedd and Madeon on the production.

However I can't help but be slightly underwhelmed by the whole 'ARTPOP' motif which doesn't seem to be much more than a guise to me. As I said before, in a 'pop' sense the music is on top form and it's by far her most consistent album to date, but while there is the odd homage to Bowie vocally or to her subversive niche lyrically, I don't believe there's actually that much on the album that really attempts to go as far beyond pop music to be considered as art, and that despite being branded as her reverse-Warholian experience it's no way near as ambitious as Born This Way.

Nonetheless the album is by far commendable for it's accomplished pop songwriting and delivering bucketfuls of brilliant hooks and vocal performances. At the same time though I believe that this is just commending Gaga for something we actually always knew she could do and just didn't deliver on Born This Way. In this sense I think the album can be viewed as a relatively safe attempt at creating a hybrid of art and pop. As an album it doesn't reach many spectacular heights having been promised with ARTPOP, but as just 'pop' it's a decent record - although I shouldn't be so surprised as this is something that's always been within Gaga's capacity.

Best of the bunch: ARTPOP, Applause, Aura's chorus, G.U.Y and possibly Mary Jane Holland/Do What U Want

Duds: Dope (by far), the songwriting in Venus, Aura's first verse

As SC said my opinion might change, especially once I listen to all of it in HQ in order

Kreayshawn

If only Jewels N' Drugs weren't on it it'd be literally perfect

whoa there!!! Jewels n' Drugs is easily top 5 of the album! Her vocals are on point (it's probably the autotune but-). It's amazing! I loved it ever since I heard the live. I'm glad they cut out the breakdown because it dragged on.

Chris-kun

i still believe
whoa there!!! Jewels n' Drugs is easily top 5 of the album! Her vocals are on point (it's probably the autotune but-). It's amazing! I loved it ever since I heard the live. I'm glad they cut out the breakdown because it dragged on.

It's SO out of place though, the album is so EDM and then you have this urban disaster featuring fifty irrelevant rappers no one cares about... It's so awful it's probably the single worst song she's ever done.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'll go ahead and give my opinions of the two most popular pop albums at the moment (Prism & ARTPOP).

I actually really enjoyed the album over all. I thought it would be repetitive and safe since Dr. Luke was heavily involved in its production, but the songs blended well together and even the aforementioned Dr. Luke songs were fresh and interesting for the most part. I've seen people compare Prism to Ray of Light and while I think that comparison is a bit ambitious, I thought many of the songs were spiritual and introspective so in a way I kind of agree that this album is Katy's Ray of Light. My favorite tracks are Legendary Lovers, Birthday, This Is How We Do, International Smile, Double Rainbow, and Spiritual. Overall I'd give the album an 8 out of 10.

I was worried about ARTPOP since I wasn't a fan of the lyrics for Applause and Venus, but now that I've heard the whole album I think it works out nicely. It's a very consistent album; it's basically EDM all the way through with the exception of Dope and maybe DWUW. I think it's a lot more radio-friendly than BTW which is a good thing, and it's not as over-produced either. My favorite tracks at the moment are Aura, Sexxx Dreams, Manicure, Artpop, Fashion!, and Gypsy. Like I said on another forum, I was really impressed by the latter two songs; they exceeded my expectations. This album is a solid 9 out of 10 for me.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.