• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagedWINGS

The Poké-theorist.
Someone commented that she was more the voice of a generation than Christina, because of her talent, and your response was "wow no she's not because I don't like her personality"

Erm, I didn't? I never once mentioned Mariah Carey's singing talent, and I certainly never used the words "wow no she's not because I don't like her personality". All I said was that I wasn't a fan of hers because of what I've seen from her in the realms of the non-singing. Maybe you've paraphrased my post but got the context wrong? I'm not sure.

I even gave another example of stars that are talented but horrible people with Madonna, lol. I said "I don't care how talented she's meant to be - I saw her on a chat show over here in the UK (The Graham Norton Show) and she was awful."

Chris-kun

i still believe
And now for the Queen:

[video=youtube;w8zErggrSjE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zErggrSjE[/video]

Kylie slaying.

I wish this album wasn't a month away I want it right now

Geekachu

[video=youtube;0KSOMA3QBU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0[/video]

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Tackiness incarnate:

I mean I saw the preview, so the video made sense. But yes, tacky enough to keep me from sitting and watching her videos again.
Her candle teaser from a while back looked like the proper set for this song, and the sphinx talking in this video was just corny. The rest was super colorful, but I liked the video enough to say I guess I'm not really looking forward to anymore visuals from Katy (although Unconditionally was nice).

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't like the Dark Horse video. The concept was interesting (should've been saved for the Legendary Lovers video though), but the execution was bad imo. That's why I'm not really a fan of Katy's videos. But the song was a hit regardless so I guess the video's quality doesn't really matter.

Geekachu

I don't understand the fixation with making an Egyptian-themed video for Legendary Lovers when the song is clearly far more rooted in Indian/Hindu culture: 'lotus', 'karma', 'third eye', 'mantra', 'aura'. Even the chorus is a reference to the religious practice of going down to the Ganges and bathing in it, and the instrumental is clearly inspired by Indian culture too.

So the new St. Vincent album is just incredible. Easily best pop album so far this year.

It's really great to see how adept she's gotten with her style on the album. I'm really excited though because I'm getting ready to see her show in a couple weeks and I just read an article about how much has gone into its preparation. Apparently the creative director has also done shows with Lady Gaga and Kanye West.

Also, can I just say that Coldplay's recent music has actually been really exciting? 'Magic' is a fairly decent song, but 'Midnight' is gosh darn gorgeous. I'm really into the Bon Iver-y spaciousness they went for.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Also, can I just say that Coldplay's recent music has actually been really exciting? 'Magic' is a fairly decent song, but 'Midnight' is gosh darn gorgeous. I'm really into the Bon Iver-y spaciousness they went for.

i just listened to magic, i didn't realise they'd announced a new album. listening to midnight now. i am also really digging this direction. i've never even listened to mylo xyloto in full because i found it bland but i love all their stuff before that so i am super pleased these new tracks sound so good

e: pretty sure i would murder a person to hear a proper coldplay/jon hopkins collab

Last edited:

Geekachu

Ugh, I really don't know how I feel about this. I've always found Coldplay to be slightly irritating and it just does nothing for their cause (from my perspective) when they just try and do their best impression of Bon Iver on 'Midnight'. I also found Magic to be slightly unremarkable, but I've never been a big fan of them.

Peter Quill

star-lord
She's still getting hits, currently one as a lead singer in the top 10 and #1 in Canada and Australia, so her career is definitely not dead.

I've never been a huge Christina fan, but I recognize that she truly is the best voice of this generation. I wish she could set trends again instead of following them. She's good when she's herself but Lotus and Bionic were cheap attempts to continue having commercial success.

Bionic was actually ahead of it's time if you ask me. I don't understand where all the GaGa comparisons came from but w/e. Mariah Carey is still the best voice of this generation, that isn't a question. I guess one can already argue that she's cemented herself in music history so Christina gets to be the "new generation" but eh I'm not terribly interested in an argument like that. Xtine shouldn't of ruined her pipes lbr.

Also that Kylie sampler slayed

also Geekachu is so on point @ the Hindu culture.

Rakansen

ラルフ
Tackiness incarnate:

I don't know why but I actually sort of like the video (well, enough for me to buy it on iTunes). It's nothing like how I expected it to be, especially from the preview, but it's unique and colorful, that's why I like Katy Perry's music videos so much. ESPECIALLY Wide Awake.

Last edited:

Asuka

Banned
I don't know why but I actually sort of like the video (well, enough for me to buy it on iTunes). It's nothing like how I expected it to be, especially from the preview, but it's unique and colorful, that's why I like Katy Perry's music videos so much. ESPECIALLY Wide Awake.

How is it unique when it's just like Mj's Remember the Time video? Katy should come up with original ideas for her videos

And btw I don't think Bionic was ahead of its time. The album sounded outdated in 2010 and it sounds worse now...

Geekachu

[img139]http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/gagaversusxtina__oPt.jpg[/img139]

The videos in general shared a very similar Red-Black-White colour palette, and the video came at a time where Gaga was practically synonymous with outlandish imagery so the comparisons were a given. Not to mention the fact that Christina's last major studio release was Back To Basics - an album which refuted all this typical pop bravado - and hence it seemed like a contrived move to do this while Gaga was on the rise. 'Not Myself Tonight' could not have been a more appropriate title.

I'm pretty sure there's a quote from someone in Christina's team who said that basically the album she released as 'Bionic' was completely different to the one she originally envisaged, due to her label changing it in order to pitch her against Gaga.

How is it unique when it's just like Mj's Remember the Time video? Katy should come up with original ideas for her videos

Let's not lie to ourselves now. The choreography in Remember The Time was on point.

Guyguymon

I created SPINXOR
[video=youtube_share;e1mnqCtyVx0]http://youtu.be/e1mnqCtyVx0[/video]

Lady Gaga's Brooklyn Nights leaked in full. This is the song that was competing with Mary Jane Holland to be in the final track list.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
[video=youtube_share;e1mnqCtyVx0]http://youtu.be/e1mnqCtyVx0[/video]

Lady Gaga's Brooklyn Nights leaked in full. This is the song that was competing with Mary Jane Holland to be in the final track list.

I'm glad Mary Jane Holland made it onto the album over this to be honest. I don't like the lyrics of Brooklyn Nights; they're just not that relatable imo. That's a problem that I have with ARTPOP in general, but at least the songs that made it on the album are catchier.

HoennMaster

Kylie's new album is out now. I haven't heard the entire thing yet, but Million Miles has to be one of my favorite Kylie songs of all time. It's pure pop bliss, perfection.

So Gaga released an image of her Artrave tour stage. She's crazy. She's going to need most shows sold out to make up the money it will cost to build and transport that. And get this, the runways are clear and people can go under them.

BTW....anyone know what song she is releasing a video for?

ARTRAVE-STAGE-DESIGN.jpg

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.