• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floette

Fennekin
I bought Ultraviolence Deluxe by Lana Del Rey today. Absolutely slayed.

My favorite track is between Old Money/Cruel World/Ultraviolence (title track). Amazing piece of work by Lana. I also like the dark themes that Lana can portray so well.. Money Power Glory is stunning, Shades of Cool is magnificently captivating, and its overall a great album. Yass Queen Lana SLAYYYY.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I finally listened to Ultraviolence and I was disappointed. The album was just boring; I was the biggest BTD and Paradise fan, but Ultraviolence doesn't even compare in my opinion. Shades of Cool and Brooklyn Baby were decent songs though. Overall, 2014 has been a bad year for pop music imo.

Rakansen

ラルフ

Geekachu

The contentiousness really comes from the fact that it's a highly provocative/sexually-fuelled video with large input from R.Kelly and Terry Richardson, who don't exactly have clean sheets on the sexual harassment front. Especially given that the video was due to be released around the time models were coming out to accuse Terry of such actions, releasing the video would not have been so wise. There's also the fact that some of the alleged content in the video is downright crass.

As for Miley and Rihanna comparisons, they're entirely unfounded. Miley is not the progenitor of Terry Richardson's work, and it's also pertinent to note that during her wildfire success for about a month last year as a provocateur she was heralded as the second coming of a Gaga-type controversy generator. As for Rihanna, I've seen people compare the DWUW snippets to the S&M video but at the end of the day Rihanna was sued for plagiarism for that by David LaChapelle so

Lorde

Miley is not the progenitor of Terry Richardson's work

Neither is Gaga. How is it fair for Miley to also do photoshots with him - often times half-naked - yet wrong for Gaga to have him direct her video, which Miley also did? What I'm getting from a lot of the criticism is that it's taboo for Gaga to be risqué, but okay if every other artist is, which makes no sense to me and seems like another attempt from Gaga's detractors to take her down a peg, which has been going on for far too long imo. And the video was never officially released anyway, so clearly Gaga had a change of heart about it and didn't want the controversy.

Last edited:

Rakansen

ラルフ
Neither is Gaga. How is it fair for Miley to also do photoshots with him - often times half-naked - yet wrong for Gaga to have him direct her video, which Miley also did? What I'm getting from a lot of the criticism is that it's taboo for Gaga to be risqué, but okay if every other artist is, which makes no sense to me and seems like another attempt from Gaga's detractors to take her down a peg, which has been going on for far too long imo. And the video was never officially released anyway, so clearly Gaga had a change of heart about it and didn't want the controversy.

Since when was it perfectly okay for Miley to act vulgar and flashy? In fact, the controversy surrounding her VMAs performance and her "Wrecking Ball" music video is what made her famous in the first place. I also feel like Gaga's video isn't as risqué as people make it out to be. I find that much of the backlash was only from Lady Gaga stans in ATRL.

Especially given that the video was due to be released around the time models were coming out to accuse Terry of such actions, releasing the video would not have been so wise. There's also the fact that some of the alleged content in the video is downright crass.

Wow, just when you thought the ARTPOP era couldn't get any messier...

Lorde

Since when was it perfectly okay for Miley to act vulgar and flashy? In fact, the controversy surrounding her VMAs performance and her "Wrecking Ball" music video is what made her famous in the first place.

I don't recall that much controversy over the WB video despite Richardson's involvement in it, yet his involvement in the DWUW video is half of the controversy right now.

I also feel like Gaga's video isn't as risqué as people make it out to be. I find that much of the backlash was only from Lady Gaga stans in ATRL.

I also find it strange how a few months back there was backlash against Gaga for not releasing the video, and now that parts have leaked she's getting even more backlash and cries of "oh no how dare she make this video, so tacky!" from the same group that wanted the vid. She can never win apparently.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I don't recall that much controversy over the WB video despite Richardson's involvement in it, yet his involvement in the DWUW video is half of the controversy right now.

Probably because Richardson being a massive scumbag is more public knowledge now, and because the video contains a scene that supposedly looks like sexual abuse. There's also the fact it features R. Kelly, an actual sex offender, as the perpetrator. Both these men pick up enough heat already, and the planned video would only exemplify that.

Also, what fantasy world were you living in where "Wrecking Ball" didn't cause controversy?

Rakansen

ラルフ
Probably because Richardson being a massive scumbag is more public knowledge now, and because the video contains a scene that supposedly looks like sexual abuse. There's also the fact it features R. Kelly, an actual sex offender, as the perpetrator. Both these men pick up enough heat already, and the planned video would only exemplify that.

It would be so funny if Gaga released the video anyways to expose their filth
ahh.gif

Also, wow this thread is really dead. You would expect news like this to get a lot of people talking, but only a few people have posted their reactions to the incident.

Geekachu

I also find it strange how a few months back there was backlash against Gaga for not releasing the video, and now that parts have leaked she's getting even more backlash and cries of "oh no how dare she make this video, so tacky!" from the same group that wanted the vid. She can never win apparently.

That's generally down to the paradigm shift in which Gaga has recently transitioned from universally-adored to ambivalently received. Same thing happened to Christina with Bionic/Lotus, Madonna with Erotica... typical rise and fall.

Also, wow this thread is really dead. You would expect news like this to get a lot of people talking, but only a few people have posted their reactions to the incident.

Yeah, the pop music threads have been dead since mid-2012.

Floette

Fennekin
I personally find Terry Richardson abhorrent. I recently bought ARTPOP, though I listened on release. I can't seem to make up my mind about the album because I love certain songs, like Gypsy and Dope, but find others distasteful. The inclusion of R. Kelly, as someone just mentioned is an ACTUAL sex offender, on a song chanting "do what you want with my body" particularly irks me. I do have to agree that if Miley can be risque, Gaga can too. That being said, our standards aren't exactly great here.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
So I listened to Jake Miller's First Flight Home.
I have to say that, after some of the letdowns this year, this song is making things look up.
I honestly hadn't heard of him before, and I know he's a rapper, but FFH is a great popular song.

Geekachu

Video of the Year
Beyoncé ft. Jay-Z — "Drunk in Love"
Iggy Azalea ft. Charli XCX — "Fancy"
Miley Cyrus — "Wrecking Ball"
Pharrell Williams — "Happy"
Sia — "Chandelier"

Best Female Video
Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea — "Problem"
Beyoncé — "Partition"
Katy Perry ft. Juicy J — "Dark Horse"
Lorde — "Royals"

Best Male Video
Ed Sheeran ft. Pharrell Williams — "Sing"
Eminem ft. Rihanna — "The Monster"
John Legend — "All Of Me"
Sam Smith — "Stay with Me"

Best Pop Video
Jason Derulo ft. 2 Chainz — "Talk Dirty"
Avicii — "Wake Me Up"

Best Collaboration
Beyoncé ft. Jay-Z — "Drunk in Love"
Chris Brown ft. Lil Wayne & Tyga — "Loyal"
Eminem ft. Rihanna — "The Monster"
Katy Perry ft. Juicy J — "Dark Horse"
Pitbull ft. Kesha — "Timber"

Rakansen

ラルフ
As much as I want "Wrecking Ball" to win some awards because the Bangerz era is practically dead right now, I bet Iggy Azalea's going to win most of the awards this year.

Lorde

As much as I want "Wrecking Ball" to win some awards because the Bangerz era is practically dead right now, I bet Iggy Azalea's going to win most of the awards this year.

Iggy's been slaying all year tbh, so I hope Fancy wins Best Pop Video and Best Female Video at the VMAs.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Why is this thread so dead these days ;_;

Hoping Lorde or Ariana win a VMA each. I'm betting Iggy wins video of the year.

In other news!!! Is anyone excited for Taylor's up and coming new single/album? Her candids in New York have been so on point lately (even though it's pretty obvious they're mostly for promo). I think she's probably hesitant to release information far in advance after Mine got leaked like 3 weeks early in 2010. It wouldn't surprise me if she announced the single release the day before tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.