• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
I'm not a big fan of Shake It Off, but after about 10 listens I'll shamefully put it on my phone. I'm excited about her full on pop because, let's be honest, this is what she wanted from the beginning. Her music always was in a weird half and half area except for her first album. To be honest, the only thing country about her old stuff is the occasional nod to country music like Mean, or a solitary fiddle every once in a while. She doesn't even use the country music twang. I started noticing her change at Speak Now because it was more rock than country. Then Red came out and I was like, she is so smart. She has slowly been making the change to pop so that it wouldn't be so jarring.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
As expected I'm in love with Shake It Off, can't stop listening to it. Honestly I'm not with the people who say it could have been sung by anyone. It feels so Taylor to me. I mean it definitely doesn't have the best lyrics she's ever written but they're still very Taylor. Based on the Red era I'd say this is going to be one of the weakest songs on the album lyrics-wise, but I think it's a great lead single and I hope it gets her another #1. So excited for the album especially considering she said it's the favourite release she's ever done. I reckon she'll start releasing other songs from the album at the start of October so not too long to wait!

Dax

Legend
Taylor's new song sounds like everything that's on radio right now, which is the saddest part, because I always thought that regardless of the dating melodrama that surrounds her music, she always managed to set herself apart. I'm not surprised that she abandoned country because she's been preparing us for it; what bothers me is that if you're willing to make a full transition, you might as well be unique. Shake It Off is really fun, but it's the simplest lyricism of her career which makes the song seem like a Prism reject.

However, I appreciate her concept. The album title and cover are intriguing and I want to hear more. Maybe this isn't her gem. I believe Red was better than what she showed us with the lead single and I hope that with 1989 the same happens.

My top songs:
  • When I am with you there's no place I'd rather be
  • Chandelier
  • Sing'n in the shower
Are any of these hit anymore? X3

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
My top songs:
  • When I am with you there's no place I'd rather be
  • Chandelier
  • Sing'n in the shower
Are any of these hit anymore? X3

You mean, Rather Be and Shower. lol

[video=youtube;68wuJ2ACi5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68wuJ2ACi5s[/video]

I'm wondering if anyone has heard this song as of yet. It's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yaassss, Nicki's Anaconda video slays so hard. It gives me Super Bass video vibes and made me like the song a little more. Anaconda > Pills N Potions imo.

Geekachu

In theory I tink I like Anaconda as a song, but ultimately the execution is sloppy for me. Then the video seems like a cheap cash-in on viral, twerking culture.

HoennMaster

I like the verses, but the Baby Got Back samples and the entire last minute and a half of the song are just horrible...not even going to start on the video.

Lorde

So despite my initial cynicism, I actually really like My Everything. It's a very diverse album and Love Me Harder and Only 1 slay imo.

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
I'm listening to My Everything and I'm impressed. She kept her 90's vibe while still updating it. I was scared with Break Free she'd do a bunch of dance tracks, but I'm glad she realizes 90's early 2000's homage is her niche in pop.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I'm normally a big fan of Taylor Swift's music. I don't think I've ever disliked any of her songs. But I listened to her new song and honestly, I don't like it. I wanted to so bad but it's just not my particular taste in music. I don't like the way her music is changing.

I normally like all of Ariana Grande's music and I hate to say this but I don't like Problem. I just can't stand the whispering in that song one bit, it bothers me.

-Raiga-

I'm normally a big fan of Taylor Swift's music. I don't think I've ever disliked any of her songs. But I listened to her new song and honestly, I don't like it. I wanted to so bad but it's just not my particular taste in music. I don't like the way her music is changing.

Yeah, while I've never been someone to go out of my way to listen to Taylor's music, I feel she found a great niche with her last album and is ruining it here. And I'm kinda torn about the situation too, because it's part of her logical progression as an artist. I.e., moving from country, to country pop, to complete pop.(though I'd argue she never was country to begin with)

Still, we've heard but a song off the album, I'm sure she hasn't let all the cats out of the bag yet.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I don't like Taylor's new song either. I have no idea why it bothers me so much about how she's been changing her sound. I was more of a fan of her older country music and I'm not liking the direction her music is going.

Can I just say that I don't even get why everyone likes Ariana Grande so much? I will admit that she can sing but her music really is not all that great. I hate that Problem song so much. The only song I like she did was Almost Is Never Almost and the only reason why I like it so much is because of Nathan Sykes but I just love him period.

That boy has some set pipes on him and I'm looking forward to his solo career now that The Wanted are over :)

Geekachu

Also I believe the VMA's are on tomorrow night if anyone's watching.

-Raiga-

Can I just say that I don't even get why everyone likes Ariana Grande so much? I will admit that she can sing but her music really is not all that great. I hate that Problem song so much.

The only problem I have with Ariana, is that she has that god given vocal range, but I feel she over abuses it and tries to shove it in everyone's face every song she does. For instance when MIKA brought her on for the remix of "Popular Song", she went full high pitch the entire song. I just don't get that, because MIKA is capable of reaching those same pitches, so I'm sure if he wanted that on his song, he would have done it.

I feel like she could be the next Mariah Carey that everyone prophesizes her to be, but she just has to learn when to use her ability.

xEryChan

Demon Child
The only problem I have with Ariana, is that she has that god given vocal range, but I feel she over abuses it and tries to shove it in everyone's face every song she does. For instance when MIKA brought her on for the remix of "Popular Song", she went full high pitch the entire song. I just don't get that, because MIKA is capable of reaching those same pitches, so I'm sure if he wanted that on his song, he would have done it.

I completely agree.

Truth be told, I don't see what's so special about her. I admit that she has a great voice but has anyone ever heard Elizabeth Gillies sing? Now she has a very good voice. Just watch her cover of You and I, it's on her YouTube page.

Lorde

Interesting: Anaconda broke the 24 Vevo views record set by Wrecking Ball last year.

Nickisus Christ's latest opus breaking records left and right. I'm so happy for her. Now I just want to know The Pinkprint's actual release date. :x

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful

I feel like she could be the next Mariah Carey that everyone prophesizes her to be, but she just has to learn when to use her ability.

Ariana Grande is a gifted Soprano with a god given vocal range, however, I think using that as a reason to have a problem with her is rather odd. If anything, she doesn't abuse her voice. I actually remember her having an interview saying she doesn't sing Whistle Notes (anything at or above Eb6) live because she doesn't have the proper technique yet to hit them. Also she can easily sing F5's all day ("Every DAAAAAAYY!" in Break Free). Also she hits G#5/Ab5 in Problem (and realize that i've GOT) in an amazing belt. I mean if my comfortable range was in that area, I would sing like that all the time. Every singer shows off and I bet you, if you had a voice like hers, you would definitely show off. You can't knock a singer down for singing in their comfortable range. Yes she needs to learn how to use her voice to hit the whistle notes, but I bet you she knows what she's doing with her voice. I rarely hear her strain, I would go as far to say she uses her Mix to hit her high notes. She knows what she is doing. I'm an Ariana Stan, yes, but there are plenty of other artists that do show off. (Jessie J, Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera (the queen of showing off)).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.