• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekachu

If you think she's bad then you should hear Jessie J. I almost felt violated when I heard 'Bang Bang'.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ariana, Nicki, and Jessie J’s Break Free/Anaconda/Bang Bang medley performance at the VMAs slayed tbh. I also liked Beyonce’s concert performance. Aside from those highlights, the VMAs was bland this year imo.

-Raiga-

Ariana Grande is a gifted Soprano with a god given vocal range, however, I think using that as a reason to have a problem with her is rather odd. If anything, she doesn't abuse her voice. I actually remember her having an interview saying she doesn't sing Whistle Notes (anything at or above Eb6) live because she doesn't have the proper technique yet to hit them. Also she can easily sing F5's all day ("Every DAAAAAAYY!" in Break Free). Also she hits G#5/Ab5 in Problem (and realize that i've GOT) in an amazing belt. I mean if my comfortable range was in that area, I would sing like that all the time. Every singer shows off and I bet you, if you had a voice like hers, you would definitely show off. You can't knock a singer down for singing in their comfortable range. Yes she needs to learn how to use her voice to hit the whistle notes, but I bet you she knows what she's doing with her voice. I rarely hear her strain, I would go as far to say she uses her Mix to hit her high notes. She knows what she is doing. I'm an Ariana Stan, yes, but there are plenty of other artists that do show off. (Jessie J, Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera (the queen of showing off)).

Well yeah, but I don't care if SHE's comfortable with it, I care if my ears are able to withstand exploding every time a song she makes is on the radio.

I mean for instance, I'm a graphic artist by trade, and I certainly possess the ability to put the most voluptuous rack you ever did see on every single female I draw, and while it may work for certain characters, it doesn't work for all of them. Its the same thing for Ariana's music, for songs it makes sense to sing high pitched notes, i.e. problem, it works, for many others, it's a nuisance.

If you think she's bad then you should hear Jessie J. I almost felt violated when I heard 'Bang Bang'.

I was already tired of Jessie when she first arrived in America as Katy Perry #2. And after listening to the "preview" of Bang Bang on Itunes, I try to avoid that song at all costs.

Lorde

I was already tired of Jessie when she first arrived in America as Katy Perry #2.

That's not fair to Jessie J though. She's a great singer live from several performances that I've watched, whereas Katy doesn't sound very good live imo. They do sound alike on radio though. And I have no problem with Ariana's vocals either tbh.

xEryChan

Demon Child
That's not fair to Jessie J though. She's a great singer live from several performances that I've watched, whereas Katy doesn't sound very good live imo. They do sound alike on radio though. And I have no problem with Ariana's vocals either tbh.

I totally agree with this. Jessie J is a great singer and she's one of the few singers that actually do much better live. I've got nothing against Katy Perry but she just can't hit the notes that Jessie J can.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Taylor Swift debuted at #1 with Shake it Off on the Hot 100, which is both good and bad. It's good because it knocked Rude down to #5, and that was stinking up the top spot for 6 weeks. Why is it bad? It kept Nicki from #1, and I'm not confident that she can reach the top spot now that Taylor is here. Nothing wrong with Taylor, I just think Anaconda is the superior song.

Navarch

Obssesed with Bang Bang, even though it really isn't my type of music. And my opinion on Ariana Grande is that she is very talented, but like what many others said, sometimes she goes overboard. Although, it is kinda a nice change from other pop artists.

HoennMaster

I would not be surprised to see Ariana face the Mariah Carey syndrome in a couple years. A good voice only keeps people's attention for so long.

Taylor Swift debuted at #1 with Shake it Off on the Hot 100, which is both good and bad. It's good because it knocked Rude down to #5, and that was stinking up the top spot for 6 weeks. Why is it bad? It kept Nicki from #1, and I'm not confident that she can reach the top spot now that Taylor is here. Nothing wrong with Taylor, I just think Anaconda is the superior song.

I'm far from Taylor's biggest fan, but half of Anaconda is from another song which is why it is so popular. I don't think it would do so well without the Baby Got Back samples.

Lorde

I'm just glad that Nicki now has a song that outpeaked Super Bass tbh. Anaconda slays. And congrats to Taylor for debuting at #1.

Last edited:

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
I don't get why people don't like Taylor's new song. I honestly love it, it's such a catchy and upbeat song, I love it. I'm jamming out to it right now. I love Taylor Swift, I've been a fan of hers for as long as I can remember.

I shake it off, I shake it off!

Chaos Rush

I don't get why people don't like Taylor's new song.
Because "haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate"

Seriously speaking though, I've found that people that are normally fans of Taylor Swift aren't too fond of this new song, while people that aren't normally fans like the new song. Personally, I believe the reason why is because Taylor is actually a fantastic lyricist, and lyrical-wise, this is probably her worst work (or something she had very little input in, considering how the song was probably written with Max Martin/Shellback). Going from "you called me up again just to break me like a promise/so casually cruel in the name of being honest/I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here/'cause I remember it all too well" to "I'M JUST GONNA SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE" is pretty jarring. (inb4 someone tries to counterargument me with We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together or 22)

Nonetheless I like the new song because I like pop music in general, but I am also a fan of Taylor Swift and I do think that lyrical-wise, this is her worst songwriting to date (but it could be excused knowing that Max Martin/Shellback probably had lots of input).

Last edited:

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
On the topic of Ariana, she makes good music, but I'm not a fan of her vocal range. It's gifted, but I really find her as a better actress. I'd like to see her acting potential as I have gotten a bit bored of her.

Anaconda is catchy. I really think that it's just popular because it uses a classical butt song.

On the topic of booty songs, I've become a fan of Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass". A good breakout song that exhibits her vocal range well. I've never heard of her before, so please tell me, but I haven't heard if she hits higher notes. I hope it stays on the radio for a few weeks.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
Because "haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate"

Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake

I'm not really a fan of Ariana Grande. Yes, I think she's a good singer and her music is pretty good but tbh, I don't see what's so great about her. There;s nothing spectular about her voice, in my opinion. Elizabeth Gillies is a much better singer, in my opinion.

Geekachu

Ironic that she found fame in acting and yet she seems like the most boring, expressionless person in her music videos.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Ironic that she found fame in acting and yet she seems like the most boring, expressionless person in her music videos.

Not to mention, her lip syncing in music videos is so horrible that its actually laughable.

I've seen a lot of a bad lip syncers in music videos but Ariana truly takes the cake of this one.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I never even watched that video, tbh. That song just really annoys me period and I can't stand listening to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.