• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Nielsen Music released the figures for the best-selling albums and songs of 2015 in the US.

TOP 10 SELLING ALBUMS OF 2015
:

1 Adele, 25 --- 7,441,000
2 Taylor Swift, 1989 --- 1,993,000
3 Justin Bieber, Purpose --- 1,269,000
4 Ed Sheeran, x --- 1,162,000
5 Drake, If You're Reading This It's Too Late --- 1,142,000
6 Sam Smith, In the Lonely Hour --- 1,018,000
7 Meghan Trainor, Title --- 1,007,000
8 The Weeknd, Beauty Behind the Madness --- 862,000
9 Soundtrack, Fifty Shades of Grey --- 861,000
10 Luke Bryan, Kill the Lights --- 851,000

TOP 10 SELLING DIGITAL SONGS OF 2015:

1 Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars, "Uptown Funk!" --- 5,529,000
2 Ed Sheeran, "Thinking Out Loud" --- 3,976,000
3 Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth, "See You Again" --- 3,801,000
4 Adele, "Hello" --- 3,712,000
5 Maroon 5, "Sugar" --- 3,343,000
6 Walk the Moon, "Shut Up and Dance" --- 2,986,000
7 Fetty Wap, "Trap Queen" --- 2,730,000
8 OMI, "Cheerleader" --- 2,698,000
9 The Weekend, "The Hills" --- 2,586,000
10 Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar, "Bad Blood" --- 2,580,000

:eek: @ Slaydele!

Bananarama

The light is coming
:eek: @ Slaydele!

Yeah, if anyone can sell a record nowadays, it's Adele. If you're number one and number two is only 1/3 of your sales, you know you're a success. I'm happy for Adele, and I hope that When We Were Young, her new single, is a hit.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
O my gosh Adele's numbers are insane 25 will be certified diamond soon which is unreal. I wish my favourite artists could sell albums like she does ha ha. :D

Bananarama

The light is coming
I've been wondering something.

Where did all of the big pop girls (aside from Adele) go? We've gotten practically nothing from Katy Perry and Lady Gaga for the past year, Rihanna still hasn't released her new album yet, Britney flopped, Nicki went back to hip hop, Kesha is still struggling with Dr. Luke, and Beyonce just isn't doing anything. I miss the days (from around 2008 to late 2012) where it seemed like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, and Kesha were in a battle to out-weird (or camp) each other. Pop music has just gotten so boring without them all tbh.

I've been wondering something.

Where did all of the big pop girls (aside from Adele) go? We've gotten practically nothing from Katy Perry and Lady Gaga for the past year, Rihanna still hasn't released her new album yet, Britney flopped, Nicki went back to hip hop, Kesha is still struggling with Dr. Luke, and Beyonce just isn't doing anything. I miss the days (from around 2008 to late 2012) where it seemed like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, and Kesha were in a battle to out-weird (or camp) each other. Pop music has just gotten so boring without them all tbh.
Yeah :( I mean...I still think there's some enjoyable stuff out there right now, but I do miss the ladies you mentioned.

- Katy...I can understand taking a little break, since the PRISM singles besides "Roar" and "Dark Horse" didn't do so well, and the album itself sold just over 1/2 of TD, so she/her team are probably coming up with some kind of re-invention. Hopefully she'll drop something this year, since we had TD in 2010...no new album in 2011, 2012...PRISM in 2013...no new album in 2014, 2015...so we should be due for something.
- Gaga...I guess is focusing on acting? And that Oscar-nominated song? I'm definitely ready for more pop from her too, since Cheek To Cheek wasn't really up my alley.
- Rihanna...Idk why her latest album rollout has been so messy. "FourFiveSeconds" came out a full year ago now....we know the tite (ANTI), she unveiled the album cover art last fall...and yet....no release. Probably some behind-the-scenes drama? Unless it gets completely scrapped for some reason, we'll surely get it this year, though.
- Britney...yeah...BJ flopping, "Pretty Girls" flopping, + her Vegas obligations...I can understand her/her team wanting to take some time to re-group too.
- Nicki does still serve up some pop, tho. "The Night Is Still Young" and such.
- Ke$ha...the situation is really unfortunate, since she and Dr. Luke made such tunes together...but if he really did what he's accused of, I definitely think justice should take precedence over any new music.
- Bey...well, there was a 3-year gap between 4 and Beyoncé, so maybe she'll put out something this year. It's only January, after all.

I wouldn't mind hearing more from P!nk, unless she's quietly retired? Even though "Focus" was underwhelming, I'm still excited for Moonlight (or whatever title Ari decides on), and I think Meghan Trainor plans to release her second album this year.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I heard that Rih finished Anti, so if that's true I'm pleased cuz she hasn't had an album out in ages. I do miss the old days when female pop songs were popular. Nowadays it's mostly rap on the radio and a few other genres every now and then. ^^

Bananarama

The light is coming
Looking at the track list for Anti, I'm not seeing any of her singles from before (like FourFiveSeconds or BBHMM). The only familiar track I see is James Joint. I really thought those other songs would be on the album tbh, but I guess it's not happening.

She released her first single from the album tho, "Work". It features Drake.

Wow. Today's been quite the flood after a long drought, Rihanna-wise:

- We got the official premiere of the new lead single: "Work"
- The 13-track standard edition of the album leaked in full
- The standard edition of the album was officially released for free via Tidal. I was able to use this link, but I've read that it's only good for 24hrs and there's a limited supply. On Friday, the 16-track deluxe edition will be up on Tidal (to steam, I don't think they're giving that away for free too.) It looks like the deluxe edition bonus tracks are not the three singles we got last year (FFS, BBHMM, AO)

Phew! A lot to take in. I'm still digesting the album as a whole, but I definitely love "Work" - super infectious.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds Carly Rae Jepsen really overrated? I think her music is alright, but it's nothing to really rave about, at least for me. That would be Adele or Britney ;)

Nope, you're definitely not. Tbh, I don't even think her music is good at all. Call Me Maybe is annoying as heck and so is her other song, I Really Like You. I can name about 5 other artists who have much better music but aren't that big.

I also find Beyonce overrated as well. Sure, she's a good singer and all but her music isn't all that great, IMO. *gets shot by the beehive*

Last edited:

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds Carly Rae Jepsen really overrated? I think her music is alright, but it's nothing to really rave about, at least for me. That would be Adele or Britney ;)

Nope, you're definitely not. Tbh, I don't even think her music is good at all. Call Me Maybe is annoying as heck and so is her other song, I Really Like You. I can name about 5 other artists who have much better music but aren't that big.

I also find Beyonce overrated as well. Sure, she's a good singer and all but her music isn't all that great, IMO. *gets shot by the beehive*

I happen to like Carly Rae Jepsen and all her songs. She is not overrated and is absolutely fantastic.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well I finished listening to Anti last night and I loved Work, Kiss It Better, Same Ol' Mistakes and Consideration. I wish James Joint was longer tho. ^^

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Has anyone else listened to Sia's newest album? ^^ I've been listening to it for days and although it's not as good as her last one, it's still good to me. I love Reaper, Broken Glass and Cheap Thrills. With this and Anti, I'm really pleased right now with pop music. :D

JudySpell

Banned
So Gaga's doing a Bowie tribute, singing the national anthem @ the Super Bowl, and performing at the Oscars this month. So where's the new album??

Bananarama

The light is coming
So Gaga's doing a Bowie tribute, singing the national anthem @ the Super Bowl, and performing at the Oscars this month. So where's the new album??

I'd guess that she might release it (or at least the lead single) sometime this year. Apparently she releases her albums every 2 years (Fame Monster was 2009, Born This Way was 2011, and Artpop was 2013), so she probably took a break in 2015.

She's gonna slay at the Super Bowl and Oscars though.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

Whoa she's performing everywhere. I wish she would drop a surprise album later this month, but that's just wishful thinking hee hee. ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.