• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pop Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Well, following Geekachu's example, here's my Top 10 Songs of 2012 and my Top 5 Albums of 2012:

SC's Top 10 Songs of 2012:
(I limited it to songs that were official singles in 2012; album tracks will be discussed in my Top 5 Albums)

10. "Try" - P!nk
I've never had anything against P!nk, but she's never really made a song that I've really been hooked on... until now. This is a really beautiful ballad that captures me with its power and emotion.

9. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz
Like I mentioned a couple of days ago, this is so out of my usual music comfort zone, yet I LOVE IT. The chorus may be the most infectious chorus I have ever heard, period. And while I usually criticize songs for having stupid lyrics, these ones are so obviously and purposely stupid that you can't help but just laugh and enjoy the song for the craziness that it is.

8. "Home" - Phillip Phillips
People say that this is the best American Idol coronation song ever, and I have to agree. It's a perfect combination of having a catchy sound without sounding generic.

7. "Too Close" - Alex Clare
I love this song for taking one of my most hated genres of music and turning it into a masterpiece. Usually at the mention of the word 'dubstep', I would be disgusted, but Alex Clare's soulful voice puts a whole new spin on it and makes this both an interesting song and a really cool one to listen to.

6. "Titanium" - David Guetta ft. Sia
Oh my god, why did I not discover Sia earlier in my life? Her voice is now up there as one of my favourites of all time, and it's her voice that really makes me love this song. David Guetta put it just enough of his beats and electronic breakdowns to make it catchy, but also left most of the song quiet and tame to give Sia's vocals a chance to shine.

5. "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra
If you're one of the people who actively posted in this thread back when this song was popular, you may be really shocked that this is only #5. Well, that doesn't take away from the greatness of the song, it just means that there are 4 other songs I like better. Anyways, I love how this song takes your classic, dull love story topic, and makes it sound so cool with both the male and female parts. The progression of the melody - starting from quiet and simple to a loud, complex chorus - captures the emotion of the song perfectly, and both Gotye and Kimbra's phenomenal voices help make this song amazing.

4. "We Are Young" - fun. ft. Janelle Monae
A lot of people would say that this is the true "anthem" of 2012, and boy does it deserve it. Not only does it provide a fun message that can appeal to everybody, but it also tells a story, and Nate Reuss's interesting voice makes it even better. The reason I placed this above STIUTK is because unlike "Somebody", I never got bored of this song. Even when I play it now, it feels like I've never heard it before, and I love how I can feel that about a song.

3. "Some Nights" - fun.
Oh would you look at that, it's fun. again! Anyways, after WAY, fun. really had to prove that they weren't a one-hit wonder... and this song far exceeded any expectations as a follow up single. The best word I can use to describe this song is just outright COOL. The acapella intro, the almost African like sound throughout the song... even the autotuned part of the bridge adds an interesting flair to the song. This song is simply hypnotizing.

2. "Lights" - Ellie Goulding
If you had asked me how much I loved this song when I first heard it, I would have said that I almost disliked it. But it was definitely a huge grower on me, and somehow I went from being unimpressed by it to being almost addicted to it. The subtle electronic background mixed with Ellie's awesome sounding voice just made a song that I literally could not stop listening to.

1. "Little Talks" - Of Monsters And Men
I didn't even have to think about what my #1 was going to be, as it was no question that "Little Talks" blew away any other song in 2012. Literally every part of this song is fascinating. The male and female vocals are great, and they work together beautifully. The chorus is infectious, and the brass throughout the song sounds amazing and catchy. The slow build up of the bridge is mesmerizing. Everything about this song is amazing, and my only wish is that this song had been one of the big alternative breakout songs of 2012, because everybody deserves to know about this song and love it.

SC's Top 5 Albums of 2012:

5. "Night Visions" - Imagine Dragons
Imagine Dragons have such a diverse sound, which is what makes me love them. Some of their songs sound happy and upbeat, but then they'll have loud and powerful songs, and then they'll have slow ballads. This album has so much variety while still keeping to Imagine Dragons' overall sound.
Non-Singles That I Love: "Radioactive", "Demons"

4. "Making Mirrors" - Gotye
When I first heard STIUTK, I didn't think that Gotye would be able to come out with anything better than that. But after I bought this album and realized just how creative he was, I was blown away. "Smoke and Mirrors" has become one of my favourite songs of all-time, and the creativity that has been poured into this album is just astounding.
Non-Singles That I Love: "Smoke and Mirrors", "State of the Art"

3. "Ceremonials" - Florence + The Machine
A lot of you may be confused about this album's placement here considering it was released in 2011. But I only bought this album in 2012, and now I'm kicking myself for not listening to it sooner. There are pure masterpieces on this album. Florence has a truly amazing voice, but what really makes this album amazing is the orchestra in every song that makes you feel like you're listening to a symphony.
Non-Singles That I Love: "Heartlines", "Only If For A Night", "Seven Devils"

2. "Some Nights" - Fun.
Well I guess it's no shock that this album is here considering two of its songs were in my Top 5 Songs. What makes me love this album is how flawlessly it goes from slow, sweet songs to fun and upbeat ones. I also really have to complement the writing that went into each of these songs, as this album has some of the best lyrics that I've heard in a long time.
Non-Singles That I Love: "Some Nights (Intro)", "One Foot"

1. "Halcyon" - Ellie Goulding
This is a bit of a controversial #1 because I know people who can't stand Ellie's voice. It's definitely a sound that not everybody loves, but if you love it then you LOVE it. Ellie's voice defines the term "unique", as her voice is incomparable to any other artist. What made this album #1 for me is that with most albums that I love, there's always one or two songs that underwhelm me. With this album, those songs don't exist. Sometimes I sit down and listen to the entire album in a row and am captivated from start to finish. (Also, I can't wait for "Carry On" to become the big alternative smash of 2013)
Non-Singles That I Love: "Hanging On", "Only You", "Halcyon"

Anyways, that's the music I loved in 2012. I know that this is an essay and most of you probably won't read the whole thing, but it was fun to look back on 2012.

HoennMaster

I feel kind of bad, I really didn't try and find any new non-mainstream music this year. Oh well.

My favorite albums this year:

1) Take Me Home - One Direction
2) The Truth About Love - Pink
3) MDNA - Madonna
4) Blown Away - Carrie Underwood
5) Heartbreak on Hold - Alexandra Burke

I didn't include Greatest hits albums, otherwise I would put Girls Aloud and Kelly Clarkson's as 4 and 5.

Favorite Songs:

1) Call My Name - Cheryl Cole
2) Catch My Breath - Kelly Clarkson
3) Something New/On The Metro - Girls Aloud
4) Timebomb - Kylie Minogue
5) Rock Me - One Direction
6) Beautiful Killer - Madonna
7) **** Like You - Pink
8) How Ya Doin? - Little Mix
9) Red - Taylor Swift
10) Turn Me On - Nicki Minaj/David Guetta

Last edited:

Ruby Blue

If everybody's doing it. A few of these are from 2011, but they saw release in 2012.

Top 10 Singles of 2012

10. Where Have You Been - Rihanna

A pretty great pop track with a good video by Rih's standards. Probably the least messy single in the last year for her. Overall; a good bop, but not much else.

9. Looking Hot - No Doubt
Miles better than Settle Down, even if it charted nowhere. With a controversial video that certainly fit the song title (see my sig), it still couldn't drum up any publicity. Like above; a great bop, but that's it.

8. End Of Time - Beyoncé
Before you make stan accusations, listen to the song. It charted nowhere also, probably due to the lack of promo or a video, but it's a highlight for many on 4. Not my favourite on the album, but Top 5.

7. Power & Control - Marina & the Diamonds
I believe SC was the one who commented on it as "so different" from a regular pop song, and I agree with that. It's definitely the best single Marina released this year (but not as good as Radioactive).

6. Push & Shove - No Doubt
The best song on the comeback album? Perhaps. It's a travesty that this was relegated to a promo single, but it still slays. I might be a bit biased because of how much it reminds me of Gwen's solo work (Gosh, I miss her...), but its still a solid song.

5. Timebomb - Kylie Minogue
This didn't go Top 10 anywhere. That seems to be a trend with this list. True queen of pop, Kylie Minogue, shows Madonna how to be sexy and innovative past 40. The song is a solid addition to Kylie's discography and a wonderful way to celebrate 25 years in the industry.

4. Anything Could Happen - Ellie Goulding
Better than Lights. This is a really quirky track that I hated at first, but it's just so catchy. Hopefully it can rise to Top 10 in America soon, but until then it continues the trend in here. A solid pop track from a solid album.

3. Spectrum - Florence + the Machine
NOT THE CALVIN HARRIS REMIX. The original, which rotted away at the ends of the charts with her other songs, is amazing. Cosmic Love 2.0 even. Flawless song, flawless video and a flawless artist. Shame she had to get Calvin Harris involved, even if it did get her a #1.

2. 1991 - Azealia Banks
Was this a single? It had a video, so I'm counting it. Azealia spits rhymes over a great backing track. It's so flawfree that it hurts. This is like a homage to the 90s. It also shows the basic rap *****es how to make a decent video.

1. Never Let Me Go - Florence + the Machine
The video isn't as great as Spectrum's imo, but the way it goes with the song so well is amazing. Think of it like another take on Madonna's Frozen (back when she was good). The Little Mermaid references just seal it. The vocals are a lot more sublime than Spectrum. It just has to make you feel something. Outstanding track.

Top 5 Albums of 2012

I can't include 4 or Ceremonials in here, so...

5. Lotus - Christina Aguilera
Don't judge me for saying this, but Christina's music was pretty great this year. Your Body is a bop, better than Die Young and Diamonds anyway. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's a decent pop album with a few great additions to her discography. This is flopping in style, take note Warrior and MDNA.
Standouts: Your Body, Let There Be Love, Cease Fire.

4. Electra Heart - Marina & the Diamonds
It is incredibly overrated by her fanbase, but still a solid pop album. A parody of pop in a way, it has its great bops and thought provokers. Get a version with Radioactive tho.
Standouts: Teen Idle, Radioactive, Power & Control.

3. Push & Shove - No Doubt
Underwhelming after a near 10-year hiatus, but if you put that aside it is a great album. Gwen's vocals are just as strong as ever and it hits like a speeding truck. Don't be put off by the opening tack, it does get much better.
Standouts: Looking Hot, Heaven, Push & Shove.

2. Halcyon - Ellie Goulding
The mixing can get awry at times, but its very good overall. A departure from Lights for sure, but an improvement imo. SC was on the dot when he said her voice is so unique, it's part of her charm and helps the album work.
Standouts: Figure 8, Only You, Anything Could Happen.

1. 1991 (EP) - Azealia Banks
You should've expected this. I've been loving this ***** since her flawless Liquorice video dropped. With only 4 songs it has to deliver, and it does. The tracks are all flawless. 1991 is, as mentioned, an homage to the 90s and is sublime. Van Vogue is the quirkiest track, featuring a dog barking and some other crazy background noises. You all know 212, and Liquorice is proof enough that Azealia can cross over to pop.
Standouts: All.

RickHoenn

Banned
My Top 40 songs of 2012: (based on my last.fm)

40. "Glad You Came" - The Wanted
39. "Good Feeling" - Flo Rida
38. "I Will Wait" - Mumford & Sons
37. "Not Over You" - Gavin DeGraw
36. "Home" - Phillip Phillips
35. "Pound the Alarm" - Nicki Minaj
34. "Locked Out of Heaven" - Bruno Mars
33. "Tongue Tied" - Grouplove
32. "Domino" - Jessie J
31. "It Will Rain" - Bruno Mars

30. "Die Young" - Ke$ha
29. "Settle Down" - No Doubt
28. "Everybody Talks" - Neon Trees
27. "Diamonds" - Rihanna
26. "One More Night" - Maroon 5
25. "Give Your Heart a Break" - Demi Lovato
24. "Midnight City" - M83
23. "Too Close" - Alex Clare
22. "Madness" - Muse
21. "Payphone" - Maroon 5 f/ Wiz Khalifa

20. "Burn It Down" - Linkin Park
19. "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" - Taylor Swift
18. "Little Talks" - Of Monsters and Men
17. "Lights" - Ellie Goulding
16. "It's Time" - Imagine Dragons
15. "Gangnam Style" - PSY
14. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers
13. "Set Fire To The Rain" - Adele
12. "Gold On The Ceiling" - The Black Keys
11. "Titanium" - David Guetta f/ Sia

10. "The One That Got Away" - Katy Perry
9. "Starships" - Nicki Minaj
8. "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen
7. "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye f/ Kimbra
6. "Where Have You Been" - Rihanna
5. "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" - Kelly Clarkson
4. "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" - P!nk
3. "Some Nights" - fun.
2. "We Are Young" - fun. f/ Janelle Monáe
1. "Wide Awake" - Katy Perry

Happy new year to ya'll and hopefully this thread will be more active in 2013! :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.