• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pop Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think 2012 has actually been a great year... Madonna, Gossip, Lana, Sleigh Bells, Nicki, John Mayer, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber etc all had good albums this year. And I really wonder if Rihanna will be okay this year seeing as how she's almost lost her **** a few times and her favorite grandma just died. But people are always saying she's gonna have a breakdown so idk if it'll actually happen...

Out of the top three female pop albums of 2012 so far ("Mdna," "Born to Die," and "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded"), only the last two were good in my opinion. Madonna's album was a total mess with the exception of two songs ("Masterpiece" and "Falling Free"). I used to call her the Queen of Pop because she always produced great music, but "Mdna" did nothing for me. And I'm sure her number one stan will disagree, but there you have it. Lana's album was a breath of fresh air, and Nicki's album managed to cover two genres without it turning into a mess like "Born This Way," which was impressive. The best male pop album so far has been Adam's in my opinion, but even it wasn't perfect. I'm just really put out at the moment. I thought 2012 was going to be an amazing year for music, but I only have Ke$ha's new album and possibly Christina's to look forward to.

Retro Mew

Mystical Furball
Out of the top three female pop albums of 2012 so far ("Mdna," "Born to Die," and "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded"), only the last two were good in my opinion. Madonna's album was a total mess with the exception of two songs ("Masterpiece" and "Falling Free"). I used to call her the Queen of Pop because she always produced great music, but "Mdna" did nothing for me. And I'm sure her number one stan will disagree, but there you have it.

Yes I disagree - you called "Love Spent" a mess. Many people should disagree with that!
And she's still the Queen - despite a couple less-than-spectacular albums, her previous releases still exist.

I've been somewhat less active lately but I'm back in full force and there are things I need to know: why on earth do we have people in the pop music thread spewing bullshit about Gaga pushing agendas? The only "agenda" she is pushing is acceptance toward the gay community. If you're against that, then this genre isn't really for you, hun.

Ruby Blue

I think 2012 has actually been a great year... Madonna, Gossip, Lana, Sleigh Bells, Nicki, John Mayer, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber etc all had good albums this year. And I really wonder if Rihanna will be okay this year seeing as how she's almost lost her **** a few times and her favorite grandma just died. But people are always saying she's gonna have a breakdown so idk if it'll actually happen...

Well, it sounds eventful when you put it like that, but we've only really discussed Madonna, Lana & Nicki. Apart from Justin, the other's don't really seem to have much of a fanbase around here.
And out of those; Madonna's album wasn't really anything spectacular, It was quite underwhelming work from "The Queen of Pop".
Nicki's was a hot mess, I tried to like it, but I can't. I loved 'Roman Holiday' though, it was demented & theatrical, and Nicki made great use of her accents. That's the Nicki I want, not 'Starships' Nicki.
But I find Lana's was... pretty good actually. In fact; Born to Die is probably my album of the year so far >.>

And here's some actual relevant Gaga (and Cher) news for the thread (◡‿◡✿)

tumblr_m6mbcguoNl1qbt0pgo1_r1_500.png

tumblr_m6mjp1S2Mv1rsy9yfo1_500.png

So, duet with Cher with a new single in September~?
I'm withdrawing my previous comments on this album.

Last edited:

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I know I've said that Lana has a terrible voice and I still stand by that, but I listened to her album and I'm hooked. It's a really great album, every song is good. Her live performances are God awful though, someone needs to get her a vocal coach.

And I agree that 2012 has been sort of a "meh" year for music so far. Not many amazing releases yet.

RickHoenn

Banned
Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 (Week of July 14, 2012):

1. Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe" (4th week at #1)
2. Maroon 5 ft. Wiz Khalifa - "Payphone" (=)
3. Gotye ft. Kimbra - "Somebody That I Used To Know" (=)
4. Katy Perry - "Wide Awake" (=)
5. Rihanna - "Where Have You Been" (=)
6. Ellie Goulding - "Lights" (=)
7. Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe - "We Are Young" (=)
8. Nicki Minaj - "Starships" (=) 20 weeks in the top 10! :D :clap:
9. David Guetta ft. Sia - "Titanium" (+3) :D
10. Usher - "Scream" (=)

Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen - "Good Time" debuts at #18 thus making both of them not one-hit wonders anymore. :p

"Wide Awake", "Where Have You Been" and "Lights" are stuck for a while at #4/#5/#6 because Maroon 5's and Gotye's hits are still mega radio/on-demand smashes.

Mawile412

Problem
I'm surprised that Lana Del Rey is going to put out another album this November. She's had a pretty successful career with Born To Die, but I feel like maybe it will be a little soon for her to release her second album. Believe me, I will definitely be one of the first people to buy it, but I just don't want it to sound rushed or anything.

Lorde

Yes I disagree - you called "Love Spent" a mess. Many people should disagree with that!
And she's still the Queen - despite a couple less-than-spectacular albums, her previous releases still exist.

Whatever you say.
rip.gif

So, duet with Cher and new single in September~?
I'm withdrawing my previous comments on this album.

Aside from "The Greatest Thing," I can't say I'm looking forward to her new album. I want another "Believe," but I doubt she'll deliver.

Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen - "Good Time" debuts at #18 thus making both of them not one-hit wonders anymore. :p

Uh, they are? A #18 song isn't exactly a hit.

But man, the top ten is so boring. All the good songs are just sitting there.

RickHoenn

Banned
[video=youtube;QYQv-V24pT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQv-V24pT4&feature=g-all-u[/video]

Billboard Top 10 Singles for week of July 14, 2012. Damn "Starships" has been in the top 10 for five months :p deserved, I love it.

Last edited:

Mikey1701

Call Me Maybe is so irritating. And when I lool at Carly Rae Jepsen I just see a 2nd rate Katy Perry.

RickHoenn

Banned

But man, the top ten is so boring. All the good songs are just sitting there.

Umm a one hit wonder is an artist/band that only has/had 1 top 40 hit, they aren't anymore as stated by Billboard.

The song is rising on radio, I'm sure it will get a higher peak in the future plus a #18 peak is still a minor hit at least, there are plenty of top 20 songs that were decent hits.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
So Cher Lloyd's single "Want U Back" is quickly rising on the Hot 100 and is just outside the Top 10 on iTunes. I can't believe we got Cher instead of Cheryl and she's going to smash! I hope she's just a 1 hit wonder. If Cher can get a hit with that song then "Call My Name" would have SLAYYYYED in North America! :'(

How To Be A Hearbreaker will be a HUUUGGGEEEEE radio hit. If Marina plans on becoming big in the US, she NEEDS to release it as a single.
Yah, I really like it. I think they should wait and see how "Primadonna" does first, though, as it is picking up on radio and it has the potential to smash in North America. I'm definitely buying Electra Heart when it's released here in a week!

So if Carly does become a staple in the current pop pantheon, nobody can accuse me of bandwagoning since I've loved her music from the moment I heard it and I didn't start stanning because of the success. Rather, I started before the song became a hit at all in the US and was rooting for it all the way to #1. :D
Well as I said before, she certainly has a foot in the door, but she does need an actual fanbase if she's going to be the next big thing in Pop. But she's signed to Interscope so she does have a great opportunity.

Also, I'm getting REALLY heavily into Kylie Minogues music lately! Her Best Of album is amazing!!
Her music catalog is amazing in general. Kylie is just awesome. She's a better Queen of Pop than Madonna IMO.
Quoted for truth. Kylie is amazing.

I'm surprised that Lana Del Rey is going to put out another album this November. She's had a pretty successful career with Born To Die, but I feel like maybe it will be a little soon for her to release her second album. Believe me, I will definitely be one of the first people to buy it, but I just don't want it to sound rushed or anything.
I think it's because her label wants to crack the US market; Born To Die went Platinum pretty much everywhere it was released except North America. She does have a lot of fans here and there is a buzz about her...I'm guessing Interscope wants her next album to have a more mainstream approach so she has a better chance of blowing up?

It DEBUTED at #18 and is currently in the US iTunes Top 5. Stay pressed ~

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 (Week of July 14, 2012):
1. Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe" (4th week at #1)
2. Maroon 5 ft. Wiz Khalifa - "Payphone" (=)

Quite honestly, I don't understand how this happened. Payphone did better than CMM in both streaming and radio, and I don't understand its digital drop considering there were THREE versions of the song on iTunes instead of two this week. I'm pretty sure Billboard's been screwing up in regards to when hit singles are released as album tracks - I still don't understand Boyfriend's digital plummet from #11 to #65.

8. Nicki Minaj - "Starships" (=) 20 weeks in the top 10! :D :clap:

Starships, I don't mind you, but I think it's time for you to leave. 20 weeks is more than enough time in the Top 10, you've proven your longevity.

9. David Guetta ft. Sia - "Titanium" (+3) :D.

YESSSS!! I am so, so happy right now, especially since I never even thought this song would go Top 10 before its digital jump happened two weeks ago. This is my favourite Guetta song by a mile, and I'm so happy it hit Top 10. It just recently started growing on radio quite a lot, so hopefully it will have a bit of longevity!

Anyways, the mid-year sales charts came out today, so here they are for anybody interested:

Top Selling Songs of 2012 So Far:
1. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye ft. Kimbra (5,501,000)
2. We Are Young - fun. ft. Janelle Monae (5,087,000)
3. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen (4,064,000)
4. Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson (3,324,000)
5. Starships - Nicki Minaj (3,158,000)
6. Payphone - Maroon 5 ft. Wiz Khalifa (3,075,000)
7. Glad You Came - The Wanted (2,892,000)
8. What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction (2,885,000)
9. Wild Ones - Flo Rida ft. Sia (2,790,000)
10. Boyfriend - Justin Bieber (2,599,000)
11. Set Fire To The Rain - Adele (2,534,000)
12. Sexy And I Know It - LMFAO (2,128,000)
13. Drive By - Train (2,094,000)
14. Part of Me - Katy Perry (2,076,000)
15. Young, Wild & Free - Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa (2,029,000)
16. Rack City - Tyga (1,932,000)
17. Turn Me On - David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj (1,874,000)
18. The Motto - Drake ft. Lil Wayne (1,824,000)
19. I Won't Give Up - Jason Mraz (1,711,000)
20. Good Feeling - Flo Rida (1,651,000)

Lorde

It DEBUTED at #18 and is currently in the US iTunes Top 5. Stay pressed ~

Me, pressed? That's too funny. As things stand, it's not a true hit. I'll eat my words if it gets into the top five on the Billboard Hot 100 though. In the meantime, keep it classy sis.

mariahtroll.gif

Chris-kun

i still believe
How To Be A Hearbreaker will be a HUUUGGGEEEEE radio hit. If Marina plans on becoming big in the US, she NEEDS to release it as a single.

Yah, I really like it. I think they should wait and see how "Primadonna" does first, though, as it is picking up on radio and it has the potential to smash in North America. I'm definitely buying Electra Heart when it's released here in a week!

How To Be A Heartbreaker was confirmed as the 3rd UK single and 2nd US single.

Ruby Blue

X-Factor UK winners Little Mix reveal debut single; "Wings".
It's.... alright I guess? It's catchy, but not exactly vocally trying or anything.
Plus they do that horrid Cher Lloyd thing of censoring "Shit" with "Shhh..." How 2006.

Call Me Maybe is so irritating. And when I lool at Carly Rae Jepsen I just see a 2nd rate Katy Perry.

I don't see it, apart from the common Zooey Deschanel look (before Katy dyed her hair that horrid blue), they sing about totally different topics for different target markets. Well, I could say they also rely on catchiness rather than powerful vocals, but since I've only heard 1 Carly song so far... :x

So Cher Lloyd's single "Want U Back" is quickly rising on the Hot 100 and is just outside the Top 10 on iTunes. I can't believe we got Cher instead of Cheryl and she's going to smash! I hope she's just a 1 hit wonder. If Cher can get a hit with that song then "Call My Name" would have SLAYYYYED in North America! :'(

I can't stand Cher, she's just an average vocalist who has the elusive title of being a white girl who can rap (she can't actually rap tho :/ ), and have you seen how much of a cocky **** she is in some interviews? She's been in the industry for like a year? And the comments about Cheryl, her mentor? Gurl, sit down >:I
Agreed on Cheryl, she could smash with decent promo~

The 4th Kira said:
Me, pressed? That's too funny. As things stand, it's not a true hit. I'll eat my words if it gets into the top five on the Billboard Hot 100 though. In the meantime, keep it classy sis.

I agree, still don't think that counts as a hit. I'm tired of people fawning over this so much, it doesn't prove much of anything at this point. Not hating, just saying (◡‿◡✿)

Of course I'll take it back if it does turn out to be successful~

WaterTrainerJ

I'm really surprised at how much Flo Rida has been smashing this era. :eek: "Good Feeling" peaked at #3, "Wild Ones" peaked at #5, and "Whistle" looks like it'll be in the top 10 soon (iirc, it's #3 on iTunes right now).

Mikey1701

Amazing Kylie songs: What Do I Have To Do, What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before), Confide In Me, Breathe, On A Night Like This, Disco Down, Bittersweet Goodbye, Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Fever, 2 Hearts, In My Arms, The One, Wow, All The Lovers, Get Outta My Way. Also look for Lose Control and I'm Just Here For The Music- both unreleased hy Kylie and given to other artists and fantastic.

HoennMaster

Kylie? I love 'Fever', 'Can't Get You Outta My Head", and 'Love At First Sight'....... I haven't heard much else from her catalogue, any songs you can recommend?

hehe. These are just some of her IMO best singles. There are plenty of other songs both single and non-single which are awesome.

Locomotion
I Should Be So Lucky
Hand on Your Heart
Better the Devil You Know
Step Back In Time
Shocked
What Kind of Fool (Heard All That Before)
Confide in Me
Spinning Around
On A Night Like This
Your Disco Needs You
Slow
Red Blooded Woman
I Believe in You
In My Arms
The One
Wow
All The Lovers
Get Outta My Way