• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pop Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Me, pressed? That's too funny. As things stand, it's not a true hit. I'll eat my words if it gets into the top five on the Billboard Hot 100 though. In the meantime, keep it classy sis.
Ugh, you're right :( I guess not everyone can get Top 5 hit after hit like your fave Katy Perry :( *le sigh*...Oh well :(

I [and I'm sure Terrakion as well] wasn't stating it was an absolute smash. But the fact that it debuted at #18 and is holding its own on the iTunes Top 10 says that it eventually will peak within the Top 5...Top 10 at least.

X-Factor UK winners Little Mix reveal debut single; "Wings".
It's.... alright I guess? It's catchy, but not exactly vocally trying or anything.
Wow, I've been meaning to listen to this so thank you for mentioning it and providing a link! After reading the Popjustice review I guess I was just expecting something...different? I dunno, it's alright.

Agreed on Cheryl, she could smash with decent promo~
The problem is that I'm pretty sure "Want U Back" has gotten ZERO promo. So I don't understand how it's doing so well and so quickly!

And I'm certain the people of North America would prefer a typical Calvin Harris track by the gorgeous Cheryl accompanied by her flawless dance moves over a song by the rat-faced Cher who rap/whines [and grunts like she's in dire need of a poo] over a second-rate Shellback track. Which is why I'm so sad we got Cher instead of Queen Chez
52b0f867.gif

Kylie? I love 'Fever', 'Can't Get You Outta My Head", and 'Love At First Sight'....... I haven't heard much else from her catalogue, any songs you can recommend?
Kylie has a discography that spans from the late 80's, but she didn't start heading in a proper dance-pop direction until her 2000 album Light Years. The songs mentioned so far are great [especially "Slow", "Get Outta My Way" and "In My Arms"] and you usually can't go wrong with her singles. Album track "Like A Drug" from her X album is a personal favourite of mine as well.

I'm really surprised at how much Flo Rida has been smashing this era. :eek: "Good Feeling" peaked at #3, "Wild Ones" peaked at #5, and "Whistle" looks like it'll be in the top 10 soon (iirc, it's #3 on iTunes right now).
I agree with this.
It's like one day you wake up and all of a sudden they're getting hits again...same with Maroon 5. Thank God Flo Rida's album sales have always been dreadful :)

Kingsley

do my dance
Out of the top three female pop albums of 2012 so far ("Mdna," "Born to Die," and "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded"), only the last two were good in my opinion. Madonna's album was a total mess with the exception of two songs ("Masterpiece" and "Falling Free"). I used to call her the Queen of Pop because she always produced great music, but "Mdna" did nothing for me. And I'm sure her number one stan will disagree, but there you have it. Lana's album was a breath of fresh air, and Nicki's album managed to cover two genres without it turning into a mess like "Born This Way," which was impressive. The best male pop album so far has been Adam's in my opinion, but even it wasn't perfect. I'm just really put out at the moment. I thought 2012 was going to be an amazing year for music, but I only have Ke$ha's new album and possibly Christina's to look forward to.

Apparently Christina's new single comes out in August, and I'm excited to hear it too.. not that i'm a fan i'm just wondering what direction she's going to take with this era.

And I thought MDNA was good :( the single choices was bad and so was the lack of promo but I still think it was a good album. And those are two of my favorite songs from the album too. I usually like her ballads more than some of her dance songs. I think the album was generally good but it was WAY overhyped... People were calling it her 'most explicit' album. no *****. but she'll always be the queen imo.

And Born this Way > PF: RR honestly. I like Nicki but not as much as I used to before this album came out... the pop songs just have no personality from them and that's what I'm looking for when I'm listening to her. At least Gaga sounds like she's staying true to herself.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
And I'm certain the people of North America would prefer a typical Calvin Harris track by the gorgeous Cheryl accompanied by her flawless dance moves over a song by the rat-faced Cher who rap/whines [and grunts like she's in dire need of a poo] over a second-rate Shellback track. Which is why I'm so sad we got Cher instead of Queen Chez
52b0f867.gif

Thank god somebody feels the same way about that song as I do. I find Cher Lloyd's voice to be extremely irritating, and "Want U Back" is just a very annoying sounding song. "Call Me Maybe" may be generic and oversimple, but at least the tune itself doesn't aggravate me.

Oh, and by the way, just to put in my two cents about the whole "does 'Good Time' make Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen non-one hit wonders?" argument, it seems to be based off two different definitions of a "one hit wonder". Technically, Billboard defines a one-hit wonder as an artist with only one Top 40 hit. Therefore, "Good Time" debuting at #18 is the second Top 40 hit for both Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen, making them leave one-hit wonder status according to Billboard's definition (in a similar example, fun. has also done this with "Some Nights" at #32). However, the more common definition of "one hit wonder" is simply an artist who has only had one very well known and popular song. "Good Time" isn't really too well known or popular yet, so that's why Owl City and Carly can still be considered one hit wonders. So both sides are right, but it just depends what definition you go by.

Mawile412

Problem
How To Be A Heartbreaker was confirmed as the 3rd UK single and 2nd US single.

Is this true?

I'm hoping How To Be A Heartbreaker will be a huge hit! It's a great song, and I can see it doing well in the US. It's a shame the UK people didn't get it on the album, but they still got Buy The Stars, Lonely Hearts Club, and Living Dead. :p

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm really surprised at how much Flo Rida has been smashing this era. :eek: "Good Feeling" peaked at #3, "Wild Ones" peaked at #5, and "Whistle" looks like it'll be in the top 10 soon (iirc, it's #3 on iTunes right now).

Bow to the new King of Pop.
legend.gif

I [and I'm sure Terrakion as well] wasn't stating it was an absolute smash. But the fact that it debuted at #18 and is holding its own on the iTunes Top 10 says that it eventually will peak within the Top 5...Top 10 at least.

If you say so. It's just unsettling that Carly Rae has so many stans in this thread.

Ruby Blue

The problem is that I'm pretty sure "Want U Back" has gotten ZERO promo. So I don't understand how it's doing so well and so quickly!

The reason its relative success is confusing to me is not lack of promo, but moreso the fact it's so... terribly average.

Thank god somebody feels the same way about that song as I do. I find Cher Lloyd's voice to be extremely irritating, and "Want U Back" is just a very annoying sounding song. "Call Me Maybe" may be generic and oversimple, but at least the tune itself doesn't aggravate me.

A lot of people over here can't stand her in general, in fact she has a very vocal hatedom.
You know, I'm very surprised people outside the UK are actually aware of her existence. I'd never expect that.

Oh, and by the way, just to put in my two cents about the whole "does 'Good Time' make Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen non-one hit wonders?" argument, it seems to be based off two different definitions of a "one hit wonder". Technically, Billboard defines a one-hit wonder as an artist with only one Top 40 hit. Therefore, "Good Time" debuting at #18 is the second Top 40 hit for both Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen, making them leave one-hit wonder status according to Billboard's definition (in a similar example, fun. has also done this with "Some Nights" at #32). However, the more common definition of "one hit wonder" is simply an artist who has only had one very well known and popular song. "Good Time" isn't really too well known or popular yet, so that's why Owl City and Carly can still be considered one hit wonders. So both sides are right, but it just depends what definition you go by.

I think the Billboard definition of a hit is a bit far-fetched, plus it's more of a double standard: for an artist with few hits it would be a triumph to get one in the middle of the Top 40, but for a well-established artist with numerous hits its considered a flop. So, I generally reserve a hit status for Top 10's because of that shaky definition.

Don't get me wrong, it will probably go Top 10, but until then I wouldn't call it a proper hit.

Chris-kun

i still believe
Is this true?

I'm hoping How To Be A Heartbreaker will be a huge hit! It's a great song, and I can see it doing well in the US. It's a shame the UK people didn't get it on the album, but they still got Buy The Stars, Lonely Hearts Club, and Living Dead. :p

Came directly out of her mouth, so yeah. She films the video in a month.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
You know, I'm very surprised people outside the UK are actually aware of her existence. I'd never expect that.

"Want U Back" is (unfortunately) becoming quite popular in North America. It hit #35 on the Hot 100 this week, it's #12 on iTunes right now and I for one hear it on the radio all the time. It's quite possible it could hit the Hot 100's Top 10 at some point in the future - but I honestly don't know what to say about the general US population if that happens.

HoennMaster

*squee*

Pink's new album is called The Truth About Love and it comes out September 18....only two more months. Time to go rape the replay button on Funhouse!

I think the Billboard definition of a hit is a bit far-fetched, plus it's more of a double standard: for an artist with few hits it would be a triumph to get one in the middle of the Top 40, but for a well-established artist with numerous hits its considered a flop. So, I generally reserve a hit status for Top 10's because of that shaky definition.

Don't get me wrong, it will probably go Top 10, but until then I wouldn't call it a proper hit.

So number 11 is a flop? I wouldn't say that.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
How To Be A Heartbreaker was confirmed as the 3rd UK single and 2nd US single.
Speaking of Marina's UK singles, I'm wondering how "Power & Control" is going to chart since its release is right around the corner. I don't think it will peak too high considering "Primadonna" couldn't even break the Top 10. It's a shame as I'm starting to absolutely adore that song...

It's a shame the UK people didn't get it on the album, but they still got Buy The Stars, Lonely Hearts Club, and Living Dead. :p
I'm so sad that "Living Dead" isn't on the US release! Well, "Lonely Hearts Club" too but I never expected it to be anyways. Oh well, I already have the UK Deluxe edition on my iTunes...I'm just so excited to go out and buy a physical copy for myself! I want to support her and get "How To Be A Heartbreaker" as well.

If you say so. It's just unsettling that Carly Rae has so many stans in this thread.
Oh God, here we go.
This is the first time I've ever defended Carly; I never said I liked her or her single that's slaying worldwide right now. But go ahead, call me maybe a Carly stan.

A lot of people over here can't stand her in general, in fact she has a very vocal hatedom.
The magic of Simon Cowell! Seriously though, he'll stop at nothing until she's a hit. Which is a shame because far better UK Pop acts such as Cheryl, Alexandra Burke and Marina are getting the shaft. Meanwhile Cher is having the easiest time cracking America since One Direction!

"Want U Back" is (unfortunately) becoming quite popular in North America. It hit #35 on the Hot 100 this week, it's #12 on iTunes right now and I for one hear it on the radio all the time. It's quite possible it could hit the Hot 100's Top 10 at some point in the future - but I honestly don't know what to say about the general US population if that happens.
Its chart success is imminent at this point, tbh. I actually cannot believe how quickly it's climbing up the Hot 100, especially for an unknown artist with a pretty basic song and zero promo. It went from bubbling under --> debuted at 75 --> 51 --> 35 this week. I wonder how much it will jump next week?!
2095c354.gif

BOMBS

So Cher Lloyd's single "Want U Back" is quickly rising on the Hot 100 and is just outside the Top 10 on iTunes. I can't believe we got Cher instead of Cheryl and she's going to smash! I hope she's just a 1 hit wonder. If Cher can get a hit with that song then "Call My Name" would have SLAYYYYED in North America! :'(

Ever since this, Ill never take her seriously. She is just so basic, it hurts.

Yah, I really like it. I think they should wait and see how "Primadonna" does first, though, as it is picking up on radio and it has the potential to smash in North America. I'm definitely buying Electra Heart when it's released here in a week!

I completely agree. When I first heard Primadonna on the radio, I think I might have screamed lol. Marina just needs to promote it here in the US.

I think it's because her label wants to crack the US market; Born To Die went Platinum pretty much everywhere it was released except North America. She does have a lot of fans here and there is a buzz about her...I'm guessing Interscope wants her next album to have a more mainstream approach so she has a better chance of blowing up?

Ill never understand why Born To Die wasnt picked up by adult contemporary stations. Oh well. :( National Anthem is Lanas most radio-friendly song, so it deserves to do well. *crosses fingers*

Apparently Christina's new single comes out in August, and I'm excited to hear it too.. not that i'm a fan i'm just wondering what direction she's going to take with this era.

Yes! I cant wait! Bionic wasnt nearly as bad as the general public made it out to be. Woohoo, Desnudate, Prima Donna, I Hate Boys, and Stronger Than Ever deserve to be singles! D; Although those arent the standout tracks (Bionic, Elastic Love, Sex For Breakfast, and Birds of Prey also deserve a listen), I think they would have fared well on the radio.

Dont worry, it will be. Its Marinas most basic song to date. Its bound to be huge. :D

How come we dont get Living Dead? :/

Ruby Blue

Marina has a lot of fans here, huh? I've listened to her before, but wasn't very interested. I'll have to give her another chance, since I had similar first impressions about Lana~

It's quite possible it could hit the Hot 100's Top 10 at some point in the future - but I honestly don't know what to say about the general US population if that happens.

It' very probable at this rate, but just be thankful you didn't have the atrocious Swagger Jagger go to number one in these charts >_>
And would you really be that put off after US chart gems like Party Rock Anthem?

So number 11 is a flop? I wouldn't say that.

I guess I phrased that wrong; not being a hit doesn't necessarily mean flop. I meant Top 10 as a general guideline, a song outside of it could have a cult-like following and major airplay; that would count as a hit in my books.

Cher is having the easiest time cracking America since One Direction!

Cher won't be anything comparable to 1D, she doesn't have enough of a following or the personality. She'll probably be forgotten by this point 3 months from now, while the boys have enough popularity to release much more.
One Direction are more comparable to Bieber's career beginnings tbh, just that they're older and have a bigger potetial fanbase. Some guys may disagree, but the fact that they have a substansially larger gay following than Justin, can only be good in the pop world. They're firmly planted for now. Cher can get lost after her 15 minutes.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
It' very probable at this rate, but just be thankful you didn't have the atrocious Swagger Jagger go to number one in these charts >_>
And would you really be that put off after US chart gems like Party Rock Anthem?

Fair enough, but just because Want U Back would be a better quality #1 than Party Rock Anthem doesn't mean I have to like Want U Back going #1... PRA isn't exactly a good standard to go by :p

Anyways, looks like "Wide Awake" has finally dethroned CMM on iTunes! With its very fast growing airplay and Katy's movie only being out for less than a week so far, this could very well be a contender for #1 on the Hot 100 in two weeks (CMM seems to be on lock for her 5th week at #1 next week, but hopefully losing the #1 iTunes exposure will bring her down after that).

Kingsley

do my dance
I'm glad Wide Awake is number one... It's one of the songs that made me give two fuqs about Katy in general. I want to see her movie too because apparently it's good.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm glad Wide Awake is number one... It's one of the songs that made me give two fuqs about Katy in general. I want to see her movie too because apparently it's good.

It's only number one on iTunes. There are tons of songs that are ahead of it in terms of radio airplay; digital sales alone aren't going to be enough. Still, Capitol Records has a remix and a discount ready in case it doesn't reach number one on the Billboard Hot 100 next week. You can be sure that we'll see more of these gimmicks in the coming weeks.

Anyway, my sister saw the film, and she said it was fine. If you've already seen videos of the California Dreams tour, you're pretty much set to go.

Kingsley

do my dance
It's only number one on iTunes. There are tons of songs that are ahead of it in terms of radio airplay; digital sales alone aren't going to be enough. Still, Capitol Records has a remix and a discount ready in case it doesn't reach number one on the Billboard Hot 100 next week. You can be sure that we'll see more of these gimmicks in the coming weeks.

Anyway, my sister saw the film, and she said it was fine. If you've already seen videos of the California Dreams tour, you're pretty much set to go.

I've only really watched a few performances from that tour, and some of the interludes seemed really stupid. I would've gone anyway because I would be popping my pussy to Hummingbird Heartbeat live and in person tbh.

And I don't know why she has to put out remixes for songs that were already good without a **** rapper coming along and ruining them. The only one I thought was classy was the acoustic TOTGA and idk if that even counts.

Yes, and Carly isn't even annoying in this song, and Owl City's back! Those are plusses.

Owl City makes me want to slit my wrists and die.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
The only one I thought was classy was the acoustic TOTGA and idk if that even counts.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "remix", but it was released to iTunes which means it was a ploy to try to get the song to #1 on the Hot 100, so yeah, it counts. I agree that all the remixes she put out were horrible though. Even if I liked rap, her music doesn't even blend well with it, so we get disasters like the LFN remix trying to blend rap into her bubblegum pop.

Retro Mew

Mystical Furball
Anyone who still needs to check into Kylie's discography, you need her in her life, just go buy her new Best Of and thank me later. And pick up Aphrodite while you're at it, that album is amazing. Also the song "Come Into My World".
ec20fb7f.gif

Owl City makes me want to slit my wrists and die.

That's quite dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.