• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pop Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoennMaster

Lauryn Hill debuted at number one with her debut single. So did a few other artists....granted they did have American Idol. But it's not impossible....well now it is.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Lauryn Hill debuted at number one with her debut single. So did a few other artists....granted they did have American Idol. But it's not impossible....well now it is.

Exactly. American Idol is or at least used to be the biggest music-related show on television. When somebody won that show, so many people had watched them perform week after week that they weren't really considered obscure anymore. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there's ever been a #1 debut by an unknown artist.

Anyways, to change the subject - a lot of popular artists are starting to rise up with a new single (Nicki Minaj, fun., Train, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5 and Justin Bieber, to name a few). Which ones do you guys really want to smash? I'm personally hoping that (out of the list I just provided) "Pound The Alarm", "Some Nights", "Dark Side" and "One More Night" become popular in the next couple of weeks/months.

Kingsley

do my dance

Lauryn was already ~iconic~ because of the Fugees thou.

Anyway, I hope Justin's new single does well I guess. I don't really care about the others... I heard the new fun. song on tv last night and I still can't get over how shitty their music videos are. smh

Ruby Blue

Anyways, to change the subject - a lot of popular artists are starting to rise up with a new single (Nicki Minaj, fun., Train, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5 and Justin Bieber, to name a few). Which ones do you guys really want to smash? I'm personally hoping that (out of the list I just provided) "Pound The Alarm", "Some Nights", "Dark Side" and "One More Night" become popular in the next couple of weeks/months.

Ugh, can't stand any of those.

I just want No Doubt and Pink to do well with their new singles.
I also really want Ke$ha and Gaga to release their new stuff soon.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ugh, can't stand any of those.

I just want No Doubt and Pink to do well with their new singles.
I also really want Ke$ha and Gaga to release their new stuff soon.

I'm not here for any of those artists either, Nicki being the exception.

And Ke$ha has been crowned MTVLA's "Princess of Pop." Her second studio album isn't even out yet, and she's already an icon. When will your faves?

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
So. Will "Wide Awake" hit #1 this Wednesday, or next? My bet is on next Wednesday.

Next Wednesday. She didn't have that much of a lead over CMM last week, and she's still a little bit under CMM on airplay, so Carly gets it this Wednesday. However, so far this week, Wide Awake has had about a 5-8% sales lead over CMM (plus CMM's Amazon 25 cent deal finished), and she's only around 10-15 million under in audience impressions, which will end soon considering she's been gaining 2-3 million everyday and CMM's been losing 1-2 every day. Streaming could always be a wildcard, but I think it's safe to say that Katy's getting her 8th #1 next week. She won't have it for long, though - radio is rapidly trying to catch up with "Whistle", which has a very big sales lead, so Flo Rida may get his first "Wild Ones" #1 not too long after her.

Lorde

I don't think this was posted before, but apparently Ke$ha finished recording her album on Friday, and she's in the process of mixing it. I'm so excited.

A Kety stan said:
So when will Capitol buy my fave's next number one single?

A question that has plagued man since the dawn of time.

But seriously, what is this delusion? The song's been stuck at number four for like a month already, and it's not being promoted much anymore since Kety's film flopped. If people actually believe that the song is going to be a number one hit, then I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Also, it's time for certain people to start thinking about imitating our good friend Aviere. Hint: It's not me.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I'm so excited for Ke$ha's album too. anyway, Gaga played a new song for her fans while she was getting her car fixed or some ****:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MDDylRq0lpk

It's kind of hard to hear thou.

GAGA LISTEN TO MY CD!!!!!111!!1!!

Anyways, I know we've only heard a couple of seconds from the song, but from what you can make out, it sounds very robotic. If that's just the intro to the song than it could be really interesting, but if the entire song sounds like that little snippet, I'm not so sure that I'm going to like it.

Lorde

I'm so excited for Ke$ha's album too. anyway, Gaga played a new song for her fans while she was getting her car fixed or some ****:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MDDylRq0lpk

It's kind of hard to hear thou.

From what I heard, the song sounds generic, but that's a good thing. Anyway, her next album won't be released until next year apparently. She's being sued by a toy manufacturer because she pushed back the release date of some "Gaga dolls" to 2013 to coincide with her next album's release. You can read about it here. All that hype about the first single was for nothing.

I swear the album has been sent for mixing three different times now @_@

I know, it's annoying. But you can't rush perfection.

Also, I have about $20 in Amazon MP3 credit. Does anyone have any album recommendations?

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
the songs i wish to become #1 (no matter how impossible)
wide awake
lights
chasing the sun

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Woah, turns out "Whistle" has much larger of a sales gap to "Wide Awake" than I thought. Last week, it sold 211,000 compared to WA's 170,000, and it didn't even have #1 exposure for the full week because of Jason Aldean's song. Assuming that Whistle's sales are going to be bigger next week (which is safe to assume), there's a very good chance Katy Perry is going to get her first #2 peaking song.

The Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (chart dated August 4th)

1. "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen (=) (7th week at #1)
2. "Payphone" - Maroon 5 ft. Wiz Khalifa (=)
3. "Wide Awake" - Katy Perry (=)
4. "Lights" - Ellie Goulding (+1)
5. "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye ft. Kimbra (-1)
6. "Whistle" - Flo Rida (+1)
7. "Where Have You Been" - Rihanna (-1)
8. "Titanium" - David Guetta ft. Sia (=)
9. "Scream" - Usher (+1)
10. "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" - P!nk (-1)

"Take A Little Ride" by Jason Aldean debuts at #12.
"Settle Down" by No Doubt debuts at #34.

-I don't care whether it's "Whistle" or "Wide Awake", but something needs to dethrone CMM next week
-Wow, "Lights" rises even higher! It's been flying up on radio and is the #1 On-Demand Streaming song this week, so we may even see this in the Top 3 once CMM and/or Payphone start falling!
-I would have thought that "Whistle" would be above STIUTK this week, considering it was the highest selling song right now and it's rising fast on both airplay and streaming
-How is "Scream" rising!? Its sales have been plummeting recently!
-With fast rising airplay, I hope "Blow Me" goes up next week. It definitely deserves more than two weeks in the Top 10

Last edited:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
It'll be Wide Awake. The other trash isn't rising on radio fast enough.

I originally thought that "Whistle" would get it over "Wide Awake" because the former song is #1 on Digital Songs and didn't even get a full week of iTunes #1 exposure. But now that I saw that it's only #6 on this week's Hot 100, I think it's safe to say "Wide Awake" will get it first. It won't keep the top spot for long though, because once "Whistle" advances a bit more on radio, its big digital lead will give it the #1.

Poor "Payphone". Even when CMM finally gets dethroned, it still won't be able to grab that #1. I guess it can still go for a "most weeks in the Top 3" record or something.

Lorde

Looks like Gaga will be making her acting debut in a film called "Machete Kills." She managed to film her scenes while promoting her perfume, working with the BTW foundation, touring, and producing an album. How on earth does she do it?

Billboard Hot 100 said:
#34. "Settle Down" by No Doubt

Noooooooo! I can't believe their comeback single flopped this hard!

tumblr_m7qdkiFb611qzlhbxo2_250.gif

MDNA.......trololololol

I already have it; I just don't listen to it often. :p

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Cheryl's video for "Under The Sun" has premiered. I had to link to a random site as YouTube has region blocked it :/

The video is alright. It doesn't follow the song at all, she's basically just some tramp gallivanting through a lower-class British town looking for her next beau. She still looks great and all, but she can always be counted on for that. I think I'm more disappointed with how this single has been handled, tbh. Cheryl finally has a chance to release a Summer single and instead her label decides to sabotage it by dropping it in September and giving us this video. Honestly...they should have shot a glossy, sunny video with a lead male interest and released it in mid-August. Now I'm not sure this song will chart in the Top 10! This has got to be the worst execution of a Summer single since Alexandra Burke's "Start Without You"!
shakeno.gif

Anyways, I went to HMV to buy a physical copy of Electra Heart a little while ago and was surprised to find they only sold the 12 track [with "Living Dead"] UK version of it in shops. No "How To Be A Heartbreaker", not even a UK deluxe edition with "Radioactive", etc on it. I'm wondering if this is only a problem in Canada? Has anyone from the US seen Electra Heart in shops and if so, what is the tracklisting? The North American version is available on Canadian iTunes but I wanted a physical copy! However, I didn't leave HMV empty-handed! ;)

Also, after watching the music video to Lana Del Rey's "National Anthem" a while back I decided to download Born To Die still haven't downloaded Heartbreak On Hold yet and I quite like it. I always liked "Blue Jeans" and its accompanying video, but now I guess you could say I'm a proper fan! I'm excited for her Paradise edition re-release of Born To Die this fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.