• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pop Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Looks like "Wide Awake" is going to have a much harder time getting #1 this week than previously expected. CMM has actually jumped ahead of WA on iTunes, beating it by around 5%. That's not even counting her Amazon lead, so that means that CMM will definitely have the digital advantage during next week's chart. She's pretty much guaranteed the streaming advantage, and as of right now she has the radio advantage too. "Wide Awake" has about 4 days to pass and gain a lead on CMM in airplay, otherwise CMM may actually get an eighth week at #1, and the week after that, "Whistle" will have probably gained enough on radio to take the throne, blocking "Wide Awake".

Time for the 69 cent discount, Capitol!

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
Can we get the remix with MGK or Wakka Flakka Flame now :)

The Vernoicas new song came out today "Lolita", I've been seriously jamming to this for the past hour.

Ruby Blue

#34 for No Doubt? It needs to rise, we need more to discuss than Kety and bloody Flo Rida.

MDNA.......trololololol

http://i49.*******.com/1zgdgep.gif

Looks like Gaga will be making her acting debut in a film called "Machete Kills." She managed to film her scenes while promoting her perfume, working with the BTW foundation, touring, and producing an album. How on earth does she do it?

When did she film her scenes?
She's been doing so many shows the past few months, how did she find the time?

Now we just wait for Kety to make her acting debut ;)

Noooooooo! I can't believe their comeback single flopped this hard!

tumblr_m7qdkiFb611qzlhbxo2_250.gif

I'm disappointed too, but it did debut fairly well and it could have a nice rise next week.
I want it to get at least into the top 20.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jNlIGDRkvQ

The video for Pink's Blow Me (One Last Kiss). Loved the video. It was an interesting direction to see Pink go in.

Is it just me or did you post that earlier, delete it and re-post it?

Anyways, the video was a little bit boring at times, but I kind of liked it. The whole paint scene at the end was pretty funny, so that made up for a bit of the dryness towards the beginning. The video's had pretty much zero effect on the song's sales, though.

Speaking of which, unless some miracle happens and by miracle I mean discount and/or remix, "Wide Awake" has officially lost its chance to become #1. Since the US Olympic Swim Team made a lip-synching video to CMM which went viral, CMM's jumped up to selling 90% of what "Whistle" is currently selling, while WA is stuck at 63%. That means CMM is on-lock to get its 8th week at #1 on the next Hot 100, and provided Whistle stays at #1 on iTunes for quite a while, it will probably be high enough on radio to get the Hot 100 #1 the week after that. "Wide Awake" should rise to #2 on the next Hot 100, but will fall back to #3 the week after because of Whistle.

Retro Mew

Mystical Furball
Hot damn I love Gaga's look on the Machete Kills poster!

And wow Carly, I can't believe this... I was disappointed to see the song dropping but now it looks like it could clock Ke$ha and maybe even Rihanna! :D I'd have liked a week for "Wide Awake" but I prefer "Call Me Maybe" beating Gotye, which just might happen now.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
we need more to discuss than Kety and bloody Flo Rida.

Seriously. I wish each artist could have their own separate thread or something, 'cause the generic dance-pop artist conversations are getting a bit redundant. Still, there's only one or two people who keep talking about their chart positions. Hopefully they'll tire themselves out soon just like every other chart-obsessed bandwagoner.

When did she film her scenes?
She's been doing so many shows the past few months, how did she find the time?

I have no idea. All I know is that she said filming was insane.

Anyway, I liked Pink's latest video. It was refreshing given all the tiresome music videos we've gotten recently. I'm glad the song made it into the top ten; Pink deserved that hit.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Usually I try to ignore Kira's posts, but the amount of hypocrisy in the first half of that last one was blatantly obvious. You used to be so good at trolling this thread, Kira, what happened?

Anyways, to try to bring something different into discussion - with "Pontoon" in the iTunes Top 10 and "Blown Away" beginning to rise, do you guys think that there could be another massive country/pop crossover like "Before He Cheats"? Lately it seems like country and pop have been drifting farther apart quite quickly, and the closest semi-successful crossover we've had recently was "If I Die Young". It's sad, because I quite like "Blown Away" (and this is coming from someone who really does not like country for the most part), and I think if people ignored its country label, it could do quite well on pop radio.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my last post that Tulisa debuted her next single "Live It Up" featuring Tyga, which is due to be released just before her album drops in September to ensure as much X Factor promo as possible. It's alright :/ "Young" was definitely nothing ground-breaking but at least it was fun, so I hope her album goes in a more dance pop direction. Tulisa also quite shamelessly admitted in an interview about the new song that she released "Young" because she wanted a guaranteed #1 debut. She thinks "Live It Up" may be too urban so 'it, like, may not even go Top 10!' but she chose it as the second single for her N-Dublets. Oooh Tulisa, gurl, you make me laugh! Still love you though.

And for the few Girls Aloud fans in here....they are reuniting this November following Cheryl's solo tour!
Why am I hearing this from you just now?! I'm usually all up-to-date on Cheryl/Nicola/general Girls Aloud news. Super happy! :')

Seriously. I wish each artist could have their own separate thread or something, 'cause the generic dance-pop artist conversations are getting a bit redundant. Still, there's only one or two people who keep talking about their chart positions. Hopefully they'll tire themselves out soon just like every other chart-obsessed bandwagoner.
Sorry your faves aren't getting any attention lately. What would you like to talk about, love?

You used to be so good at trolling this thread, Kira, what happened?
CherylWhat.gif

Last edited:

HoennMaster

Why am I hearing this from you just now?! I'm usually all up-to-date on Cheryl/Nicola/general Girls Aloud news. Super happy! :')

LOL. Apparently they were booked to perform at the Royal Variety Performance in mid-November and that is supposed to be there first reunion event.

And speaking of reunions.....apparently the Spice Girls are reuniting for the Olympics's closing ceremony.

Kingsley

do my dance
One Direction is gonna perform too, I'm so excited ~~~~

I don't really know much about the Spice Girls but I watched Spice World the other day and it was so cute lmao

Ruby Blue

We need to talk about the Queen of Pop tbh.

tumblr_m7w7gu275n1ruewsho1_500.jpg

And if anyone is interested, the 2012 VMA nominations will be announced tomorrow. I've already predicted that Rihanna and Katy will receive the most. Let's see what happens.

Nominations are up.

You were basically right. At least it's mainly Wide Awake, which is the only Katy video deserving of a nomination.

I'm conflicted about this... I mean, I'm glad Born to Die, Love on Top and Countdown got nominations, but I'm displeased that Gaga gets snubbed again. Not just that, but the fact that the Video of the Year nominees are scraping the bottom with Gotye and fucking MIA...
I never thought I'd say this, but I want Katy or Rihanna to win Video of the Year :c

And there's no prize for guessing who's already won Best New Artist >.>

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
This is probably the best title this thread has never had.

Honestly, I always get disappointed when seeing the VMA nominations because they're always so fuelled by the artist's popularity, and not the actual quality of the songs. Coming from somebody who loves fun., the video for "We Are Young" was boring, and it would never have received a nomination if the song hadn't been so huge. Same goes for WHYB.

And I know I'll just be accused of being a "Gotye stan" and my opinion will be ignored, but I objectively believe that the STIUTK video was amazing and deserves a VotY nomination. The work that was put into that video was immense, and managing to successfully paint two human beings to camouflage into a colourful wall deserves a nomination over the series of random flower and drug shots that the WFL video was (let it be known, I do like the WFL video, but if it deserves a nomination, so does STIUTK). I'm also glad Take Care got a nomination, I didn't expect it to, but it deserves it - it's a beautiful video.

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
Boyfriend got nominated multiple times and yet actual good videos like I Wanna Go, Criminal, and Marry The Night are shunned. Really MTV?

I only saw Boyfriend once on TV, and it wasn't even that good, that's just messed up. Everyone just wants to give Bieber attention because of his album/tour, also possibly promoting his new style.

Status
Not open for further replies.