• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Popplio, Brionne and the An-chor-gry Dhelmise! (983)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Popplio, Brionne and the An-chor-gry Dhelmise!

Despite her recently obtained Z-Ring and Waterium Z, Lana is still having difficulty mastering Z-Moves. However, she soon meets a trainer with Popplio's evolution, Brionne, who has mastered the Water Z Move. Lana asks for their help and learns that they are around hunting for sunken treasure, and they start training together. When they receive information about the treasure, they learn it is protected by a Dhelmise. Will they be able to obtain it and master the Z-Move?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Brionne-Popplio nose rubbing moment was super cute! :D

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Bewear will be the end of me

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
And Lana launches Hydro Vortex! Popplio was such a badass! :D

Hydro Vortex cyclone overcomes Dhelmise's cyclone!

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Yeah, Popplio really liked that Brionne, and I'm pretty convinced it's evolving at some point. The PokeProblem segment even had Lana dressing it up as a Brionne hahah. Also, Lana thinks Brionne is cute, so...

Otherwise, this episode pretty much went as planned. Hydro Vortex was cool, but I don't know how much use it would get on land.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Ok Popplio is starting to grow on me lol. I'm glad Lana is training and growing as a trainer :).

Fire_Fan

Watch me burn..
I felt like saying "Heeeerreeee's Johnny!" when Bewear popped up in the front of team rockets sub in the window. It was a fun episode and I couldn't help but let a little Aww out when Popplio was sad to see Brionne go.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Actually, I thought that scene at the very end where Dhelmise was happily dragging off Team Rocket's Bruxish submarine was pretty funny, too.

I'll also add that I think we might see I'a again in the future, most likely with a Primarina. While I can't understand Japanese and don't know how much of an impact she had on Lana, it's obvious Brionne had an impact on Popplio, and I don't think the writers are going to pass up the opportunity to have those two interact again as Primarina and Popplio or Primarina and Brionne. Thankfully, this felt like more of a Sanpei situation, so I don't think her having one would prevent Lana's Popplio from going all the way as well. But we'll see.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Great episode this, Popplio got a lot of development, like SM033. Highly entertaining one, one can say that a lot happened in this, with Popplio shining in the crisis moment! 8/10.

Also glad we got to see Hydro Vortex multiple times in this episode, both Brionne's and Popplio's.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Yeah, Popplio really liked that Brionne, and I'm pretty convinced it's evolving at some point. The PokeProblem segment even had Lana dressing it up as a Brionne hahah. Also, Lana thinks Brionne is cute, so...

Otherwise, this episode pretty much went as planned. Hydro Vortex was cool, but I don't know how much use it would get on land.

Yeah thats great I would love to see primarina since I love its design. So I would like to see it evolved.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I liked the training montage, even if the exposition was rushed, it's nice knowing they earned Hydro Vortex as opposed to cometh the hour tropes.

Otherwise an enjoyable romp with Lana shining but not an episode I'll likely revisit.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yep, the writers clearly favour Lana more! She and Popplio already has gotten so much development, while Mallow and Steenee hardly has got anything compared to that.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
It was a fairly good episode. Not one I'll likely watch again, but decent enough for today. I liked the training montage of Popplio, but did it really take two days to master? TRio were surprisingly fine this episode, since they didn't really interact with the twerps, and in fact, were smart enough to cause the whole chaos with Dhelmise. And Bewear, I'll probably never get sick of that thing.

Also, am I the only one who got reminded of the XYZ opening between Ash and Greninja when Lana and Popplio tried to sync together? Anyway, it was cool seeing Popplio unleash Hydro Vortex at last, though I do think that'll be one of the rare times we do, since it needs to be done near the sea. Also, I do think Brionne is at least guaranteed for Lana now, though I'm still 50/50 on Primarina for now.

I give the episode a 6.5/10. Nothing outstanding, but fairy decent.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'll definitely rewatch with subs just to see what Lana and the seafolk were saying to each other.

I enjoyed this episode personally. Probably my favorite of the episodes that are dedicated to learning how to use z-moves so far.
I like Dhelmise A LOT more than I used to. Seeing pokemon like him, object pokemon, move around on screen with life makes them so much more loveable imo. The last part of him happy with the bruxish tank also made me happy :D
I too see Poplio evolving now that we've seen this episode. Lana and Poplio seemed to both really like those ideas, and Brionne completed Lana's dreams so easily lol.

Anyways I enjoyed!

Oh yeah one question, can they use hydro vortex on land? I'm thinking maybe they'd just aqua jet around the opponent and the whirlpool vortex would just come out of the ground in the middle of their aquajet...???
Anyone else got any ideas for that?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
It's so funny how I'a's performance reminds me of Tripokalons mixed with public carnival performances. I'a can make up anything less than half as terrible than whatever Serena and that ugly Kalos Klown Aria could ever pull up, her's was pretty creative. I kind of wanted to see her boyfriend pretending to drown a bit but that would've been stupid lol.

This training for Popplio and Lady Lana was simple yet effective. It's pretty cool that I'a is mentoring her. (and that cool yet brief bit of Lana mentioning her father.) I briefly forgot Mallow was on the ship until I saw her standing by Ash's side. I would complain that she didn't do much here but Ash was basically in the same position and I know this was Lana's time to shine so it's a positive that Ash didn't take away the spotlight from her. Ash and Mallow were basically emotional support and there to observe which isn't a bad role to play especially for Ash who is always guaranteed the maximum amount of spotlight. Great development episode for Lana and Popplio even though I didn't enjoy it that much. I'a's few moments at the end with both her boyfriend and Lana was cute, I'm sure she inspired her into developing her bubble dream. That Dhelmise looked oddly yet hilariously happy dragging the TRio's Bruxish submarine lol. :D Oh yeah and we can't end without Bewear coming in to save the TRio from blasting off (something that Dhelmise did in return lol!!)

Last edited:

DatsRight

I'm still getting the inkayling that Lana may end up a performer after all (though at least there might be substance to it this time round especially with Z Moves utilised). Liked seeing Popplio doing some intense training, and some build up to the success rate in the 'heat of the moment' climax, much like with Litten in the Palossand episode.

A better use of the COTD/TR format this series, with Team Rocket having a more unique shrewd instigator role with Dhelmise the main antagonist, reminds of something that would happen in the OS. Loved we saw a TR Alola mech at last and of course Bewear never ceases to amaze us. Oh and Dhelmise blasting off agaaaain....*ding*

The performers were okay, nothing that gripping character wise but fun enough, though Brionne's mentoring role with Popplio was pretty cute. Would be fun if they appeared again, especially if Lana sticks to the performer niche.

I liked the episode focused primarily on a companion again, though I almost would have loved an episode where Lana just went alone for the most part given Ash wasn't really important here, even as comic relief. Mallow expectedly was even more superfluous (though you would have thought Steenee would have made a token attempt as well, unlike Pikachu it's not hindered by type resistance from Dhelmise).

A standard classic formula episode, but it didn't feel dull or copped out in anyway like many of the same. Fun enough and Lana and Popplio got to shine.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This was a cute episode. The interactions between Popplio and Brionne were adorable--especially the end, when Popplio was sad to see Brionne go and Brionne was comforting it--and the way Popplio admired Brionne gives me hope that it might evolve in the future (hopefully all the way to Primarina).

Lana and Popplio's training with I'a and Brionne was...interesting, for lack of a better word. By that, I mean that one wouldn't normally think that blowing bubbles would help increase a Pokémon's strength and better enable it to use Z-Moves, but from what I understood, that was precisely the point of all that bubble blowing, and it worked. It sort of reminded me of Ash's unorthodox method of teaching Rockruff Rock Throw.

Hydro Vortex looked awesome, but like Golden_Latias said, I don't know how well it would work on land. Maybe that's why the writers decided to forego giving Ash a Water type this region! In any case, it was nice to see Lana and Popplio "become one" and master Hydro Vortex--and for that Hydro Vortex to be strong enough to overpower Dhelmise's whirlpool.

Team Rocket's role in this episode was pretty standard, although it was slightly different from what I had originally predicted. As I predicted, they decided to go after the treasure themselves. However, I thought they would end up angering the Dhelmise, who, in its rage, would end up targeting the Seafolks' boat. Instead, Meowth tricked the Dhelmise into targeting the Seafolk's boat. My prediction was close enough, though, and it's a scenario we have seen time and time again. On the upside, Supernatural Bewear strikes again. Seriously, what is that thing made of? :p

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Yep, the writers clearly favour Lana more! She and Popplio already has gotten so much development, while Mallow and Steenee hardly has got anything compared to that.

Yeah I don't even know why Mallow was even here. Ash too for that matter.
This was a nice strength building episode for Lana and Popplio. Popplio's balloon's got stronger and it mastered Hydro Vortex.
Can't wait til she shows this to a specific character in the future.

DatsRight

Mallow has been given semblance of a good personality, it's just they aren't doing anything with her....AT ALL. I think they made her a goal and then realised they didn't know any way to make it entertaining or dynamic for a whole episode, nor has her Pokemon intertwined into it as well skill and personality wise as the others have with their trainers' aims.

I could argue Lana actually has LESS personality and development in goal than Mallow, but they know how to make it stand out and proactive regardless, even in a pretty formulaic episode. Lana is searching and working for what she wants to do and does so in a unique way, while Mallow spends most of the time in the background, even in her own episodes.

Last edited: