• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Popplio, Do Your Balloonest! (948)

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
It was nice to know more about Lana and her family. Her little sisters were funny and who doesn't love Pikachu's thunderbolt. It was also great to learn Popplio's backstory and boo to the bullies that are team skull.

Overall, it was a good fun episode which has some funny fishing moment and then TR show up so Lana and Popplio can deny Rotom's databanks.

Nice episode, onto the next one!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
...they changed Wobbufett's voice? I barely noticed.

Wobbuffet's VA changed because Kayzie Rogers retired, after voicing Mimey one final time in SM001. TPCi opted not to reuse the Wobbuffet voice footage likely because they would have had to keep paying her in royalties, which is pretty much the same red tape issue that surrounds all the music replacements that get talked about so much.

And as we know, TPCi do not like to pay royalties to the original creators, so they instead opt to create their own "replacement scrappy" material like the trashy music that plagues the dubs, and in the case of a voice actor retiring they decide to opt for a replacement who can perform the impression of the retired voice.

This could mean Erica Schroeder might not just take over Wobbuffet, but Mimey as well. The voice does sound a little off, but Schroeder does do a close-enough impression.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Finally aired in the United States. (Must I say this every day this week?) This episode was great, since it was all about Lana, her Popplio, and the students fishing with Lana. Some hilarious moments include Ash meeting Lana's younger twin sisters and them annoying Pikachu, Lana "teasing" Ash about catching Kyogre, and Mallow and Ash yelling at Rotom (and breaking the fourth wall) for the timing of pulling the lure. I like Lana a lot, but this episode makes me like her even more. That goes double to Popplio, too, as I liked its personality.

The backstory on Lana how she got Popplio was great, too! (What are you trying to do with poor Popplio, Team Skull? Glad Lana have Lapras ice beam the grunts and rescue Popplio. Also shows just how much Lana really likes her Popplio.) What I didn't like was Team Rocket insulting the Ride Pokémon and Lana, but that was expected of them. Don't mess with Lana or insult her, you really don't want her "icy glares!"

All that being said, this makes me look forward to episode SM016, in true English dub, of course.

EDIT: Also want to add that this episode is my favorite so far in the Sun & Moon series.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Despite Lana having a really, really boring goal in life, she's easily a very nice character next to the others. It probably has to do with how her attitude is just not...insane, crazy, loud, or pretty calm. She's a tad quirky, which has been a real rare occurrence for companions (if we can truly say this series has true companions).

Good for her before Popplio started to become racist to all humans. Though you'd think he'd tell the bullies who bullied him with those outfits...

...And we went the entire XY series without anyone - not even Bonnie - saying "boyfriend" around Serena? Goodness.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
My main problem is that this just seems to point toward those three being severely overused again in this series.

I actually disagree. Team Skull showed in SM001 how the plot of an episode could be the exact same with them replacing TR. I expect this to happen in the future

Did anyone else notice how Harper and Sarah's shadows weren't completely colored in after Pikachu shocked everyone? You can clearly see two green splotches during that little moment

No, I didn't, but I did notice that one of them was wearing a Slowpoke shirt and the other a shellder, so maybe if one of them bit the other in one of two places, they would evolve

since she made that joke about Kyogre

This was the funniest part of the entire episode. I kept rewinding it and rewatching it over and over again and couldn't stop laughing at Ash's reaction

(though I'm surprised Ash didn't look surprised since he kind of already has a girlfriend)

Yes! I was thinking: Ash, how could you already have forgotten your first kiss when it happened 5 episodes ago!!!

And yet the prior series get a pass on this...?

XY and XY&Z? We had no Brock and only one boss fantasy (I think in XY&Z22)

It's just occurred to me that if TR were stalking Ash, they could have figured out his daily routine and then use that to steal Pokemon in places he wouldn't be.

Well they're already making mistakes because they thought part of Ash's daily routine is to go to Lana's house

* "I won't forgive you" Based Lana is based

Such a better bullet point than "Zettai Akiramenai!" Based OP is based

...And we went the entire XY series without anyone - not even Bonnie - saying "boyfriend" around Serena? Goodness.

Yeah lol I think the last time the word boyfriend showed up before this episode was when Lyra was asking "Dane" whether Ash was her boyfriend in the Valley Windworks episode

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, it wasn't a bad episode per se, but I get the feeling we're at the point where this whole "staying in one place" thing is starting to rear its ugly head. Aside from the Team Rocket fight at the end, nothing really happened in the episode. We got a bit of character development for Lana, which I suppose is good, but the episode had no real plot to it.

And a question, what was up with the title? The episode had nothing to do with pirates, and honestly, it was hardly based on Popplio either.

And that's three for three with Bewear replacing Team Rocket blasting off. I guess that's the new thing? I sure hope not. The Bewear thing is funny and all, especially in this episode, but I'm a sucker for the tradition of blasting off.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
And a question, what was up with the title? The episode had nothing to do with pirates, and honestly, it was hardly based on Popplio either.

Team Skull showed up, and they are pirates

Also Popplio was the main focus on the episode: at the beginning, Ash sees Lana working on the balloons before school. Then, in the middle of the episode Lana shows Ash what they're trying to do and Ash cheers on Popplio. Finally, in the climax, Popplio's successful balloon is what is able to defeat Team Rocket

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Team Skull showed up, and they are pirates

What? Team Skull aren't pirates. Aside from the skull and crossbones motif, literally nothing about them has anything to do with pirates. Even if they were, a cameo in a flashback hardly constitutes putting them in the title of the episode.

Also Popplio was the main focus on the episode: at the beginning, Ash sees Lana working on the balloons before school. Then, in the middle of the episode Lana shows Ash what they're trying to do and Ash cheers on Popplio. Finally, in the climax, Popplio's successful balloon is what is able to defeat Team Rocket

Technically yes, Popplio was the closest thing that episode had to a focus, but the episode as a whole lacked a real central focus. If anything, it was more of a Lana episode than a Popplio episode. It's really not that big of a deal, I was just expecting more of a showing out of Popplio, and some sort of pirate character.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu and Iwanko playing at the beginning was all kinds of adorable, and I'm glad that we got to learn about the origin of Suiren's Ashimari. I never would've guessed that Suiren had saved it from the Skull-dan's abuse, and I'm starting to like how versatile Ashimari's water balloons are since they could withstand Laplace's weight.

A boring episode.

COMMENTS:
- Lana is not very interesting to me. I just don't think her personality is interesting.
- I like that we saw some more Team Skull
- OMG BEWEAR wtf. I love Team Rocket's Pokemon this season!

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
A boring episode.

COMMENTS:
- Lana is not very interesting to me. I just don't think her personality is interesting.

Wow. She is my favorite of the girls, and I think she's hilarious. I rewound it multiple times at the Kyogre joke and couldn't stop laughing

Vipsoccermaster

A boring episode.

COMMENTS:
I respectfully disagree. Lana may be quiet, but she's a girl of action. And Bewear is not part of Team Rocket whatsoever. It just looks after them.

Wow. She is my favorite of the girls, and I think she's hilarious. I rewound it multiple times at the Kyogre joke and couldn't stop laughing
Lana is also my favorite, but I'm sure that's stated already. Lana can surprise you when you least expect her to.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
A boring episode.

COMMENTS:
- I like that we saw some more Team Skull

Suiren isn't exactly my favorite SM character either, however, this episode helped make her somewhat more appealing since we got some backstory for her, which she'd been lacking thus far.

Vipsoccermaster

Suiren isn't exactly my favorite SM character either, however, this episode helped make her somewhat more appealing since we got some backstory for her, which she'd been lacking thus far.
Lana's backstory was lacking to this point? Than the other characters which took longer? Lana only took five episodes.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Good episode. I liked Lana explaining how she met Popplio, and it was cool to see Lapras use Ice Beam on the Skull Grunts, serves them right. Lana's younger sisters were sort of annoying, though. Seeing Ride Wailmer was surprising, as was Bewear running on water to save TRio.
7/10