• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Popular Theories you find Bizarre

Leonhart

Imagineer
There was a theory according to which Ash was in a state of coma after the lightening strike or spearow attack on the first episode and everything after that is just coma induced dream. I find this theory quite strange because, no way a 10 year old can think of so many people he hasn't seen in real life.
Also that's quite dark for an anime like pokémon.
I despise that theory with a passion: it reminds me of the limbo/purgatory theory that's popular among the Ed, Edd n Eddy fandom. It's pretty obvious that Satoshi (Ash) isn't in a coma for various reasons, and it irks me that the theory is mostly used as a way for people to explain why Satoshi doesn't age.

Ribbon-Dove

simps for hitmons
I hate "it was just a dream" theories as these works are already fictional, why do you have to diminish it by making it fictional within fiction? There's only one time I've ever seen "it was just a dream" work, and that's in Futurama
Technically, It can also be applied to almost every single work of fiction ever made.

Example: The events in Mystery Dungeon was all a dream. Want proof? The player being sent away at the end is just them waking up from their dream, and them returning to the Pokemon world is just the player going back to sleep and dreaming about the Pokemon world again.

It's extremely easy to just fabricate a "it's a dream" theory, unless it makes actual sense within the story.

OwensJB

I hate the Fire starter Chinese zodiac theory. It doesn't work because Fennekin isn't dog - it's a fox which are only distantly related to canines.

Besides if GF wanted to stick to the zodiac then they would've made a Fire type dog starter out of an actual dog and not just a vulpine Fire starter.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I hate the Fire starter Chinese zodiac theory. It doesn't work because Fennekin isn't dog - it's a fox which are only distantly related to canines.

Besides if GF wanted to stick to the zodiac then they would've made a Fire type dog starter out of an actual dog and not just a vulpine Fire starter.
Who knows, we might get Growlithe or Houndour as a fire type starter sometime in the near distant future.

Both are based on dogs and the Chinese Zodiac theory isn’t as bizarre as you think.

Last edited:

Missingno.Fan

The “You killed your rival’s Raticate” theory from the original games. The whole point about their part of the story is that they value strength and fame over actually bonding with their Pokémon. Don’t see why it’s so farfetched to think he would drop a Pokémon that naturally falls off around the mid game? Plus he mentions after the fact that he caught a Cubone after not finding any Marowak & he says in Silph Co that he only went there because he knows the MC will eventually go after Team Rocket. I feel like it’s one of many theories to make Pokémon seem more dark than it actually was.
I totally forgot about that one. I hate it. It’s like people are trying to be dark and edgy just for the sake of being dark and edgy.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
The "Great Pokemon War" theory that gets stated as fact. Yes we've had wars but come on. Not only is there nothing to base this idea of some recent massive war that nobody ever talks about, the things people use to cite as "evidence" like a supposed lack of adult men in the first game simply don't exist!

MrJechgo

*sees some of the Pokédex entries*
If that didn't build theories on their own, I don't know what did :p

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The chinese zodiac fire starter theory isn't that absurd to me. Either way, we'll probably find wether there's some truth to it or not on Gen 9 since all "cool" animals from it have been used already.

I despise that theory with a passion: it reminds me of the limbo/purgatory theory that's popular among the Ed, Edd n Eddy fandom. It's pretty obvious that Satoshi (Ash) isn't in a coma for various reasons, and it irks me that the theory is mostly used as a way for people to explain why Satoshi doesn't age.
Or the Dungeons & Dragons TV show one about the protagonists being dead and tormented on hell lol

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The chinese zodiac fire starter theory isn't that absurd to me. Either way, we'll probably find wether there's some truth to it or not on Gen 9 since all "cool" animals from it have been used already.

Not really. The Sheep/Ram could be considered to be cool and horses have been portrayed as being cool as well as certain types of snakes. But yeah, I never bought the Chinese zodiac Fire starter theory mostly because Cyndaquil isn’t a rat and that is specifically what is in the zodiac. Not a mouse and not an echidna. A rat. The Sheep/Ram can be replaced with a goat as they are still horned farm animals that can also live in the mountains. But a mouse has never been used in place of the rat.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Not really. The Sheep/Ram could be considered to be cool and horses have been portrayed as being cool as well as certain types of snakes. But yeah, I never bought the Chinese zodiac Fire starter theory mostly because Cyndaquil isn’t a rat and that is specifically what is in the zodiac. Not a mouse and not an echidna. A rat. The Sheep/Ram can be replaced with a goat as they are still horned farm animals that can also live in the mountains. But a mouse has never been used in place of the rat.
I think Cyndaquil is considered "The Rat" is because it's called the "Fire Mouse" Pokémon in the Dex

Orphalesion

The "Great Pokemon War" theory that gets stated as fact. Yes we've had wars but come on. Not only is there nothing to base this idea of some recent massive war that nobody ever talks about, the things people use to cite as "evidence" like a supposed lack of adult men in the first game simply don't exist!
Yeah I hate that theory, there's heaps of adult men in Pokemon Blue and Red, especially ins Silph Co.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Well let surge talked about his Pokemon saving him in a war, but the “great” war could’ve been anywhere from 20-3000+years in the past. But surge likely wasn’t in the Great War cause of it were that recent (I.e. probably 20 years given surges age) it would likely still be talked about by everyone and at least one of the regions would probably be in complete shambles.

On the other end, az started a war 3000 years ago that was more likely the Great War, given how it almost destroyed the Kalos region, or who knows; the Pokemon legends game coming out might be the first official word of a war we actually see. But yeah, anything resembling a “great” war would have to be hundreds of years ago given no region to date shows any wear and tear massive enough to be called war.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Well let surge talked about his Pokemon saving him in a war, but the “great” war could’ve been anywhere from 20-3000+years in the past. But surge likely wasn’t in the Great War cause of it were that recent (I.e. probably 20 years given surges age) it would likely still be talked about by everyone and at least one of the regions would probably be in complete shambles.

On the other end, az started a war 3000 years ago that was more likely the Great War, given how it almost destroyed the Kalos region, or who knows; the Pokemon legends game coming out might be the first official word of a war we actually see. But yeah, anything resembling a “great” war would have to be hundreds of years ago given no region to date shows any wear and tear massive enough to be called war.
The war Surge mentioned I’ve always imagined being similar to Vietnam as he did look to be the same age as the youngest of those that fought in the war were at the time which was mid 40s to early 50s. Surge was also said to be “American” which makes it even more likely that something similar to the Vietnam War had happened in the Pokémon world. The Great War always seems to refer to the one from 1000 years ago involving AZ and Eternal Flower Floette.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Blackjack Gabbiani said:
I never understood why that theory was so popular, especially considering that one of the key pieces of "evidence" that's usually cited by supporters of the theory is a piece of dialogue from Matis (Lt. Surge) that was most likely supposed to be a reference to a real-life war rather than a Pokemon war.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Vietnam? How old do you guys think Surge looks? Gulf 1, guys! That would have been just a few years before the first games came out!

Luthor

This is another one mentioned in-game but it's one I find bizarre. Mega Aerodacytl being what Aerodactyl's true appearance is supposed to be. Considering it just looks like rock has been stuck in random places to it is doesn't seem like a true appearance to me.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Vietnam? How old do you guys think Surge looks?
Mid-40s? Possibly ealry 50s in the vast majority of his sprites and artwork? Wouldn't that roughly work out with him being a Rookie Soldier in Vietnam/Pokenam?
The only version he possibly looks younger is Heartgold and Soulsilver, even in Let's Go he looks middle-aged.

Last edited: