• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Possession (OujiaShipping)

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
Thanks so much for the comments! That chapter was really hard to write and I'm not sure if it was the content or more my state of mind, but I basically had to chain myself to my chair to finish it XD So I was very interested to see if I managed to keep that from coming across.

I lol'd at that. And at the earlier sentence about his white shoes and the mud. You have a neat talent about describing these little characteristics that I seriously doubt I would have usually thought of. I just don't think about things like that, and the fact that you do really make for a fun read.

Eusine's been a very enjoyable character for me to include here. I definitely want to work with him more.

However, the fact that the word darkness was used three times in pretty rapid succession kinda bothered me. It didn't take away from the imagery at all, but I find myself stumbling over the word for a moment. I might replace one of the darkness's with blackness, but besides that I don't have a suggestion for anything to replace it with.

Hmmm. You know I don't like umm... I guess you could call it non-purposeful repeatition when a synonym could be used, but in this case, I'm going to have to defend this, because it is purposeful repetition and because it's refering to the same thing again to give more information about it. So it would feel weird to me to switch one for a synonym like blackness. I'm probably not really explaining myself well X_x sorry.

That may be one of the best explanations for underage drinking that I have ever read. Like speeding up when the light turns yellow instead of slowing down.

I'm really glad to hear that bit worked out because I'm a non-drinker and I don't have a great frame of reference for drinking in general, let alone underaged drinking.

Wow, I have to say that this has been my favorite chapter so far. I'm not sure if it was the teen angst that Morty was experiencing (that I myself have been privy too), the wonderful dialogue and witty observations, or even the inclusion of Falkner (which I enjoyed) It ran the right length, was well written (as always), and opened up more about Morty than I thought I would have been capable of seeing. Not only that but the way you've painted Eusine turns him into pretty much a huge pompous *** with good intentions. Obviously I'll be around for the next installment, and I hope it comes soon

I'm glad it's remaining interesting even though Gastly's not around. I was really looking forward to being able to work with characters like Eusine and Falkner, and it's a bit of a relief from the ghost stuff, which won't be gone for very long.

I really do want to get back to working on this thing. I think I just let it slip away from me for a minute there because I was frustrated with it. I have to work on something else first, but I'll probably have the next chapter of this out before I work on anything for any other Pokemon fics. ...Probably XD

Thanks so much for reading!

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Hmmm. You know I don't like umm... I guess you could call it non-purposeful repeatition when a synonym could be used, but in this case, I'm going to have to defend this, because it is purposeful repetition and because it's refering to the same thing again to give more information about it. So it would feel weird to me to switch one for a synonym like blackness. I'm probably not really explaining myself well X_x sorry.

Ah okay. Actually, you explained your position very well. It makes sense to me now. I feel like repeatition is something I have trobule for in my own fic, so when I see it I make sure to brint it up to others. Obviously you know what you're doing so I retract what I said earlier lol. It works

I'm really glad to hear that bit worked out because I'm a non-drinker and I don't have a great frame of reference for drinking in general, let alone underaged drinking.

Yeah you hit it right on. And I say that from my own personal experience as a former underage drinker, and from now as an adult drinker lol

I really do want to get back to working on this thing. I think I just let it slip away from me for a minute there because I was frustrated with it. I have to work on something else first, but I'll probably have the next chapter of this out before I work on anything for any other Pokemon fics. ...Probably XD

I hope so. I've checked out some of your other stuff, and while they too are superbly written, this is my favorite of your work :)

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
A/N: Got some extra writing done so I'm fairly certain that, even though there are a lot of other (Halloweeny!) things I want to write this month, that there won't be too long a break between this chapter and the next one.

Chapter 7. Séance.

“I never thought I’d see you again,” the monk said warily, looking up at me as though I was unavoidable.

I’d lingered. He seemed to know I would after he told us to run on back home and not try this kind of stunt again. I told Eusine and Falkner I’d catch up with them, trying to ignore the questioning looks on their faces as they headed back to the dormitories.

“I suppose it makes sense that you’d leave Ecruteak. But to be honest, I thought you’d end up locked away in some kind of hospital.” He must’ve seen the shiver cross my face even in the dark. “I mean… I could get barely anything out of you after it happened. You were practically catatonic.”

“…Brother Nico, wasn’t it?” I asked, watching for the confirmation on his face. “What are you doing at Sprout Tower?”

“I work here,” Brother Nico answered simply. But simplicity didn’t seem to do the job for him, so he went on: “My master… the man who you—the man who the evil spirit nearly killed,” he corrected himself, “never fully recovered after what happened. So they…” he paused here, trying to find the right words, “sort of tucked him away. He doesn’t really work anymore. They replaced him.”

He stared up at the night sky. “I couldn’t stay on after that—so I transferred here. It’s quieter.”

I tried to remember that day, those lives that I… that he… that we joined forces to destroy. “There was another monk with you… what happened to him?”

Brother Nico shrugged. “He got demoted and ran off from kitchen duty one night. I suppose he didn’t want to climb the ranks of the order a second time.”

His adjusted his grip on the lantern he was holding and, just for a moment, I could see the flash of white scars along the back of his hand. “Say…” he began, with some trepidation, “as long as we’re asking about people… Madam Antonella still has the… the creature under her control, right?”

His uncertainty shook me. Was there reason to doubt that? “I… I don’t know,” I admitted. “I haven’t been back to Ecruteak since then.” I jogged up closer to him. “But she can control him, right? I mean, that’s why I gave him to her—because you said—because you brought me to her.”

Brother Nico let out a long sigh. “Look… don’t think we brought you to her because we wanted to. We just didn’t have any other choice.” The reflection from the lantern drifted out of his eyes. “They get up to some weird things at the Channelers’ Guild.”

“Weird things?” I repeated. “Like what?”

He shook his head. “Strange, sinful rituals… at least that’s what I always heard. But I don’t know if I should repeat any of it to…” he trailed off and gave me a sort of appraising look, as though deciding whether I was old enough or not.

“It might help to understand that ‘Madam’ Antonella was a madam,” Nico repeated, having made his decision. “That’s how the story goes, anyway. The Channelers Guild used to be her brothel, but when she and her… ‘co-workers’ got too old...” he trailed off. “Well, she was always quite a bit more than just a dabbler in the occult and her ‘business’ changed.”

I turned my gaze toward the ground, not particularly wanting to image the shrunken, ancient creature I had met at age eight with that kind of backstory.

“Now who knows what they get up to?” Brother Nico said grimly. “Them in their compound that they lock up so tight that no one can see what they’re doing. The point of exorcism is to get an evil spirit out—but to hear them talk, you’d think it was the opposite.” He grimaced, a sour look on his face too mean-spirited to belong to a holy man. “It figures, for a bunch of ex-prostitutes, don’t you think?”

I couldn’t answer, but I wondered then, as someone who hadn’t yet come to truly know the Channelers Guild or the mediums that call it their own, how much of this talk was actually true. Madam Antonella had described her channelers as “unholy women” in contrast to the holy men of the temple. In what way had she meant that?

I couldn’t help but think that such dark and sensuous rumors were just the sort of thing that a bunch of cloistered, celibate men would whisper in the cause of hate and lust. Yes, what would these strange and powerful women—not all old, these days, some of them newer, younger—do in their secret rituals? Would they undress in the moonlight and stand in circles on mountaintops, chanting darkly to summon some unholy being? Would there be demonic, sexual rites? They might ask, what do these mysterious, forbidden women who claim parity with us do? What is their secret?

It was the kind of line a mind could run wild with—particularly a mind to which such things are the most verboten and therefore the most attractive. Would the old men whisper such things out of spite and the young men repeat them out of interest? Perhaps, perhaps not. Neither I nor Nico, though he passed on the tale, could authentically say that the guild was once a brothel, or that it is now run by faded women of ill-fame. The only ones who could say for sure what that guild was before it was a guild, would be the people of its time.

“I… don’t know why the master told us to go there as a last resort if anything happened to him,” Brother Nico mused, fidgeting slightly as he shifted his lantern from one hand to the other. There was a hollowness in his voice—a quality of shaken faith. “But he did.”

I could offer him no assurances—no explanation for why Madam Antonella was his master’s trusted second and not another monk of his order, no benevolent reason why she should be on a first name basis with the holy man. Back then, my future interested me far more than his master’s past.

“…What do you think I should do now?” I asked.

He turned to me, slightly caught off guard. “What?”

“I’m graduating soon,” I explained. “A… well, a friend of mine wants me to take him to Ecruteak, but I’m not sure. If you can’t trust Madam Antonella… then is it even safe for me to go back? And even if it is safe…” I gulped. “…Should I?”

He looked at me very carefully. He lifted his hand for a moment as though to put it on my shoulder, but then caught sight of the ring of scars in his flesh. He pulled his hand back.

“If you want my advice,” he said, “don’t ever go back to that city again.”

With that statement, he lifted his lantern and head down the path toward the monks’ dormitories, but before he’d gotten too far he turned back to face me.

“And for God’s sake, get some religion,” he added, before turning back once more and leaving me in the dark.

…Religion. As I took the lonely path back to my dormitory, I felt certain that I would fail in taking that last bit of advice. How could I be God-fearing, when there was something out there that I was much more terrified of?

I think Eusine was attempting to lift me by the lapels and slam me against the wall, but all he managed to do was grip my collar angrily as he hissed, “Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Tell you what?” I choked out, caught off-guard by him jumping out at me just outside our dormitory.

The strange red glow around him was back and brighter than ever. He made a sound, like a word only partially spoken, so flabbergasted was he that I would dare to not know what this random bit of assault was about. “That you can talk to ghosts, of course!” he finally managed to get out.

I tried to keep the grimace off my face, hoping Eusine would put any fluctuation in my expression down to him cutting off my oxygen. “I… can’t,” I protested.

“Are you kidding me?” he asked incredulously. “I saw you with that Gastly early—you were controlling it somehow!”

He narrowed his eyes at me, finally letting go of my collar. “You knew, didn’t you? Even before tonight—you knew that you could talk to ghosts and you didn’t tell me,” he accused icily.

I rubbed a hand across my neck. “I… didn’t actually know that before tonight,” I tried. I took refuge in the fact that it wasn’t a lie—it was just almost a lie. Before that evening, I’d known that I could communicate with a ghost… singular.

He glared at me. “You expect me to believe that?” he asked, straightening his bowtie. “Then what were you talking to that monk about?”

The night air felt wintry for a moment as I wondered whether or not Eusine had stayed behind—listened in to my conversation with Brother Nico. I took a deep breath and steeled myself against such a thought. No… no he probably would’ve tried, but I doubted Falkner would’ve sat idly by and let him. Not to mention Eusine had obviously gotten back to the dormitory before I had. He would’ve had much bigger questions to ask me if he’d listened in.

“Just… nothing really,” I answered as nonchalantly as I could. “He used to live in Ecruteak so I thought I’d say hi and see how he was doing.”

Eusine raised an eyebrow. “That’s it?” he asked.

“Honest,” I breathed. “But hey, about this ghost thing,” I said, willing to shift to any topic, even a dangerous one, if it kept Eusine from thinking any further about Brother Nico. If he’d thought to ask the monk for information himself… I’d like to think Brother Nico, wouldn’t have said anything. But who could really say? “Does it even really matter? I mean, I wasn’t even talking to it, really. Just sort of… I don’t know. Anyway, it’s not important,” I said, trying to blow the whole thing off.

“Not important?” Eusine repeated. He ran a hand through his hair furiously. “Do you honestly not get it? Are we trying to find Suicune and Ho-Oh or not?” he demanded.

“I don’t see what that has to do with any—”

“We’ve been digging up books in the library for ages and don’t have much to show for it,” Eusine cut over me. “But imagine what we could find out… if we could ask the dead about it.”

I pulled my sleeves as far as I could over my hands to ward off the chill. “No,” I said.

“We’re talking about ancient secrets—the kind that mortals don’t have access to,” Eusine went on, ignoring me. “But with you… there’s something about you that the Gastly responded to—and you could see through their illusions too. I know we can find what we’re looking for if we just use you to communicate with them. It’s better than sitting around waiting for a prophetic dream that just isn’t going to come. We have to take initiative here.”

“No,” I said again, more forcefully this time.

He stared at me for a long, painful moment—mouth open as though poised to deliver a retort, but too angry to take it any further. He closed his mouth and walked passed me, bumping my shoulder along the way. When he made it to the door to our dormitory, he turned around again.

“I can’t believe you,” he said. “You know that I can’t do this—only you. If I had your gifts,” he began, turning up his nose in judgment, “I wouldn’t waste them.”

All I wanted was to lose myself that night—to ignore everything that had happened over the last few days in an incomprehensible blur of alcohol, music and people. Finals were done and the school shook with celebration. Falkner, perhaps moved to pity by the threadbare get-together with me and Eusine at Sprout Tower, had invited me to an off-campus party his upperclassmen friends were throwing. “You can even bring Eusine if you absolutely insist,” he’d added, somewhat bitterly.

I wasn’t going to insist—a fact that pricked at my conscious every time I saw Eusine leading up to that night. I’d barely spoken to him, though, so there wouldn’t have been much of a chance to make the offer anyway. Well, I suppose it’s more correct to say that he’d barely spoken to me.

None of it was meant to be anyway. I met Eusine on the way out of my dormitory.

“Come on,” he’d said, already making his way down the hall and outside.

I hesitated. “I’m kind of going somewhere,” I said, wondering if I should lie if he asked where or if I should make a last minute effort to include him in an event for which he had no interest.

“Forget that,” Eusine said dismissively, grabbing at my arm. “Let’s go.

“Where?” I asked, letting myself be dragged along.

He didn’t answer, but in time I found that “where” was the library—lying fallow in the wake of finals, now that there was no longer any need to crack a book. I followed him down to the basement, through the stacks of old, uncategorized manuscripts and over to a long table resting on a moldering carpet.

I cough as I inhaled the decaying scent of worm-digested paper and centuries old printer’s glue. “What are we doing down here?” I asked. Eusine and I had been to the stacks many times before—it was where the oldest manuscripts in the school were housed—but we’d gone through it so many times that I doubted that some tome that held all the answers we were looking for had been overlooked.

“Just looking for a little privacy,” Eusine said, stalking toward the table where several boxes were already stacked. “I thought the library would be the last place anyone would be tonight. Last thing I want is a bunch of partying morons interrupting.”

I neglected to mention my desire to join the ranks of aforesaid morons. “Interrupting what?” I asked.

He turned to face me and put a hand into his pocket. “…I want you to try talking to my Gastly,” he finally said.

I felt my shoulders droop. “Eusine, we’ve been over this. I already told you—”

“I don’t see how it would hurt to just try communicating with my Gastly,” Eusine snapped. “You two already seemed like you were getting along pretty well at Sprout Tower, so it’s not like you’ve never seen it before or anything. And it’s not wild—I can bring it back into my Poke ball whenever I like, so there’s no need to worry about it going crazy or anything.”

“Eusine…”

“Look,” he said, taking out the Poke Ball and enlarging it to its full size, “I already tried talking to it myself, but I’m just not one of those clairvoyant types, like you. If the world of the dead can actually provide me with information about Suicune, then that’s something I have to know.”

I’d opened my mouth to respond, but he’d already let the little ghost out. And it was little. It was probably closer to a PokeDex description of a Gastly than my Gastly. Which of course meant it looked wrong to me.

It gazed around, surprised to have been let out of its ball. Then, immediately upon accepting that it was out in the world, it dived into Eusine’s breast pocket, shrinking in size as it did so.

“Hey! I told you not to do that anymore!” Eusine yelled, slapping at his pocket. “Get out of there this instant!”

The Gastly obeyed, sliding out of its purple prison. “Sttttly,” it said, brows tilted upward in a mildly sheepish expression.

Eusine thrust a hand out toward his Gastly and gave me an exasperated look. “Please don’t tell me that you’re honestly going to be scared of talking to that.

I had to admit, even in my vast reticence to make any sort of communication with a ghost… it was very, very hard to actually take the little ball of purple smoke looking nervously around the room seriously. Even its fangs seemed rounded and non-threatening.

“Umm… hello there,” I began, bending over and watching the ghost uncertainly. It turned to focus on me as I spoke.

Eusine rolled his eyes. “This isn’t just some social exercise. Ask it what it knows about Suicune.”

I felt intensely stupid as I turned back to the ghost and asked: “So… what do you know about Suicune?”

The Gastly blinked its overlarge eyes at me twice before answering, “…Gas gastly?”

“Well, what did he say?” Eusine asked, as I straightened up.

It was like reaching out to some old forgotten skill—some language half-remembered. Though… no, not a language. Language would imply that some kind of direct translation could be had. But yet there was something there—something understandable.

“I’m not really sure what it’s saying, but it’s more like… I get a feeling from it,” I answered.

“And what does that feeling translate to?” Eusine asked, impatient to get to the bottom line.

“Well,” I said, scratching at the back of my neck, “if I had to paraphrase it would probably be something like ‘what’s a Suicune?’”

There was a cold silence before Eusine swiftly withdrew his Gastly. “We’ll talk about this later,” he promised the Pokemon in a low voice before he returned it to his pocket.

I actually almost felt like laughing. It was a wonderful and so rare emotion that I would’ve happily indulged in it if it weren’t for the fact that Eusine would’ve been even more annoyed. It wasn’t that the moment was particularly funny—it was relief that drove the impulse.

“So, we’re done, right?” I asked. “No more trying to get secrets from ghosts? I mean, they obviously don’t know.”

“Mine doesn’t know,” Eusine corrected. “That doesn’t mean anything.”

He turned back to the table and picked up a long, flat box from the bottom of the stack. “If we really want to find the answers we need, we should ask the spirit world at large. …I know it seems a little stupid, but we might as well try it. It’s called a Ouijia b—” He turned around and frowned as he saw me back away. “…What’s your problem?”

“I’m not going near that thing,” I insisted, the acid in my gut churning as I saw the familiar game board.

He furrowed his brow. “Don’t tell me you believe the crock that this summons demons or something? I borrowed this from the sophomore girls’ dorm… it’s the opposite of threatening.”

I’m sure my face disagreed. In fact, I’m sure every bone in my body disagreed.

“There’s no need to freak out about it. It’s not like you even have to do much,” Eusine argued. “Just put your hand on the little game piece and—”

“I know how to use it, but I’m not going to,” I responded, freaking out, in my opinion, quite needfully. “It doesn’t matter what you say to me. I’m not doing it.”

Eusine let out a groan. “…I suppose there’s no chance of talking you into trying to channel a ghost then, is there?” he asked with little hope in his voice.

“No!” I exclaimed, looking at him in horror. “Would you agree to that?”

Eusine crossed his arms. “I’d do anything if it meant finding Suicune. I’m the one that actually takes this thing seriously, remember? Not like your little Ho-Oh thing that’s apparently just a hobby to you.”

That last barb might’ve stung me if the situation wasn’t quite so extreme. As it was, I knew that even Ho-Oh wasn’t worth what he was asking. Not by a long shot.

Eusine sighed. “Look… I get not wanting to actually summon a ghost from the start,” he said, as though we were at the beginning of many séance sessions to come, “but… how about just looking? You don’t have to interact with the spirit world in any way—just look at it.”

“…What do you mean?” I asked, not quite sure where he was going with this.

“I mean crystal gazing,” Eusine clarified, though he seemed to find the phrase slightly embarrassing.

“…You actually got a crystal ball?” I asked, bemusement breaking through the fight-or-flight responses my body had had to the channeling portion of our conversation.

“Of course not; those things are ridiculously expensive,” Eusine answered. “But I read that a basin or water can be used instead.” He shrugged. “I mean, it’s just about looking for patterns in things to figure out what’s going to happen. Like with tea leaves.”

I hesitated for the moment. I’d wanted to draw a hard line after the “channeler” comment. Eusine had no idea the kind of thing he was casually suggesting getting into. But yet… what he was suggesting now seemed as harmless as looking for shapes in the clouds.

“Literally all I’m asking you to do is sit in a room and look in a basin of water for five minutes and tell me if you see anything that could mean something about Suicune,” Eusine summed up. “I don’t think that’s too much to ask.”

I drew in a breath. “…If I do this,” I said, “you have to promise me that this is the end of it. No more… séances or whatever these are. This is it.”

“I promise,” Eusine said—too easily. Far too easily. A promise from him without any thought put into it was no promise at all.

I shouldn’t have taken him at his word; shouldn’t have gone forward with this gambit just to appease him. But I did.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
“I suppose it makes sense that you’d leave Ecruteak. But to be honest, I thought you’d end up locked away in some kind of hospital.

Lmao that's pretty honest and direct. Though I am pretty surprised that the assembled group that managed to rip him and Gastly apart didn't keep better tabs on him. It seemed to me that they were quite worried about him before. When I say worried I mean possible ramifications, not actual care. For all they knew he could have been plotting day by day to get back to Gastly, and it's obviously in their best interest to not let that happen. Hmm

“Say…” he began, with some trepidation, “as long as we’re asking about people… Madam Antonella still has the… the creature under her control, right?”

That's actually a question I was really surprised he asked. Though at the same time it makes sense if he's never been back since the incident happened. I'm really kinda digging the disconnectedness going on here

“It figures, for a bunch of ex-prostitutes, don’t you think?”

That was rather inventive on your part. And the way you explained it made sense. The Madam privileged enough to be blessed with looks and allure in her youth, to enjoy that power that she had over the sexual dynamic between people, only to have it taken away as they got older. Hell, I'm surprised more prostitutes don't turn to the occult haha. Anyway, just wanted to comment on that bit because I thought you did a spectacular job.

“And for God’s sake, get some religion,” he added, before turning back once more and leaving me in the dark.

I actually lol'd at that haha.

“You can even bring Eusine if you absolutely insist,” he’d added, somewhat bitterly.

LMAO, I love how you portray Falkner. Not only is he so grandiose and kind of socially lethargic is such a way that he almost inspires people, but his dialogue is downright hilarious

I cough as I inhaled the decaying scent of worm-digested paper and centuries old printer’s glue.

Do you care to elaborate on the bolded portion? It doesn't really make sense to me

so there’s no need to worry about it going crazy or anything.”

It surprises me that Eusine doesn't know his Gastly's gender. I just feel that someone like him would actually know.

“if I had to paraphrase it would probably be something like ‘what’s a Suicune?’

Lol, I keep underestimating you when it comes to your flair for comedy. These little moment between the seriousness of what's happening keep me guessing in a good way

Well, if there's one thing I have to gripe out about, which is rare for me with your story, it's about the Pokemon. I feel like you've addressed this before but to be honest my heart leapt when Eusine brought out his Gastly. Besides seeing Pokemon inspired items around your universe, and the portions with with Morty's Gastly (who I wish had his own name because I feel like he's deserving of one), we haven't really seen any Pokemon at all. Not that I'm trying to tell you how to write, believe me, you're amazing, but since this is a story set in the Pokemon universe I'm just surprised that there haven't been more so far. You may have more planned, or maybe have more of the same, either way I'm still loving the story and am on board either way.

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now, and I'm sure you have a handle on this. It's more just of a passing observation than anything else. Great chapter as always, and I look forward for more.

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
Lmao that's pretty honest and direct. Though I am pretty surprised that the assembled group that managed to rip him and Gastly apart didn't keep better tabs on him. It seemed to me that they were quite worried about him before. When I say worried I mean possible ramifications, not actual care. For all they knew he could have been plotting day by day to get back to Gastly, and it's obviously in their best interest to not let that happen. Hmm

I'd like to think the temple itself probably has a better idea of what's going on, but that Nico's simple out of the loop because he quit.

That was rather inventive on your part. And the way you explained it made sense. The Madam privileged enough to be blessed with looks and allure in her youth, to enjoy that power that she had over the sexual dynamic between people, only to have it taken away as they got older. Hell, I'm surprised more prostitutes don't turn to the occult haha. Anyway, just wanted to comment on that bit because I thought you did a spectacular job.

Thanks! I wondered how that idea would play... it was sort of a late addition but I'm very happy with it since I think it gets at some of the themes in this story.

LMAO, I love how you portray Falkner. Not only is he so grandiose and kind of socially lethargic is such a way that he almost inspires people, but his dialogue is downright hilarious

Thanks! I've been loving dealing with Falkner and Eusine, which is probably why this school segment involving them has gone on longer than I thought it would :D

Do you care to elaborate on the bolded portion? It doesn't really make sense to me

Well... the section has a lot of antique books in it and the glue used in book bindings can start to smell over the years. I'm not sure if it's because it simply gets old or if it's because of the material they used to use for it. The fact that book-devouring bugs have been eating and... erm... excreting the remains probably doesn't help.

It surprises me that Eusine doesn't know his Gastly's gender. I just feel that someone like him would actually know.

Hmm. Not sure about that. I guess it depends on if we're following anime or game logic. In the games, you pretty much know right off the bat. But in the anime they seem to need to take time to figure out the gender. I'm not even sure where you'd check on a Gastly for that kind of thing XD But Eusine hasn't had the Gastly for very long, so I don't think it's that surprising that he doesn't know yet which it is.

Lol, I keep underestimating you when it comes to your flair for comedy. These little moment between the seriousness of what's happening keep me guessing in a good way

I'm glad to hear it! Really comedy is what I mainly write, so I'm trying not to go too overboard with it since this is a more serious piece. I don't want to squeeze it all out of the process because I think it helps to balance out the tension in places, but I worry about the amount of levity in this chapter... mainly because I'd intended it to cover more and what does get covered here is the lighter stuff.

Well, if there's one thing I have to gripe out about, which is rare for me with your story, it's about the Pokemon. I feel like you've addressed this before but to be honest my heart leapt when Eusine brought out his Gastly. Besides seeing Pokemon inspired items around your universe, and the portions with with Morty's Gastly (who I wish had his own name because I feel like he's deserving of one), we haven't really seen any Pokemon at all. Not that I'm trying to tell you how to write, believe me, you're amazing, but since this is a story set in the Pokemon universe I'm just surprised that there haven't been more so far. You may have more planned, or maybe have more of the same, either way I'm still loving the story and am on board either way.

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now, and I'm sure you have a handle on this. It's more just of a passing observation than anything else. Great chapter as always, and I look forward for more.

You're right to point this out. Part of the problem is that in most of my Pokemon writing, Pokemon themselves are pretty peripheral. Just as a matter of my own proclivities, I tend to be more interested in the humans than the Pokemon, so that's what I write about. I don't think that's generally a bad thing, to be honest, but in this case... yeah, it's a problem here, because this fic is about, at its core, the relationship between Morty and Gastly.

I think a lot of this is to blame on the fact that I grossly miscalcuated how long this period of seperation between the two would take. All this school stuff has stretched way longer than I thought it would. For example, if this chapter had covered all the material I thought it would end up being able to cover, it would've been more than twice as long as it ended up.

Thankfully the seperation will be ending soon (I probably said that several chapters ago... but this time I really mean it!) and hopefully that'll solve some of the problem. Perhaps in the future I'll be able to go back and cut out some of the unnecessary bits that extended the seperation, but right now I just want to make sure I'm not rushing through important things to get there.

As always, thanks so much for reading and for your comments! I hope to have a (more horror-appropriate) new chapter up before Halloween!

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
Chapter 8. Moving.

Eusine picked up a cake pan from the library table, probably something he’d lifted from the kitchen, and reached inside, closing his hand around a pack of Fiery Flareon brand matches, which he threw at me. “There are some candles in the drawer—you light them while I go fill up this pan with water.”

It had somehow not occurred to me that this activity, this crystal-less crystal-gazing, would take place in the dark, but before I could comment, he’d already left for the bathroom sink. I tried to tell myself not to let it shake me. After all, changing the light source from electric to flame shouldn’t have really made that much of a difference. And this would all be over soon. All I had to do was stare at water for a few minutes.

By the time Eusine came back, I’d lit the candles and set them on the table, mindful that a few feet behind me there were piles upon piles of extremely burnable material. He carefully approached me, trying not to slosh water out of the pan he was carrying. He set it before me on the table, before running over to the light switch and flicking it off. He jogged back in the relative dark, slightly tripping on a rogue book as he did so.

“Well?” he said, having reached the table. “Get going! What do you see in the water?”

I took a seat before the pan, feeling more than a little foolish. “Just water, Eusine,” I said.

“Try concentrating on Suicune,” he ordered. “…And Ho-Oh, too, I guess.”

“…I still don’t see…”

“Then try agitating it a little,” Eusine suggested. “There can’t be patterns to pick out unless there’s movement in the water.”

Hesitantly, I placed the fingertips of both my hands in the water, prodding it gently so that ripples lapped around my fingers. I had to admit it then, that the effect was more eerie than I’d anticipated. The constantly moving flames of the candles cast strange reflections in the water—shadows and lights that seemed to dance organically.

If a person looked into the moving tide long enough they’d see… yes. Was that moving light a face? No… no, it looked more like an eye now that the shadows moved. Currents crisscrossed around it to create a pattern of spikes that drifted back and forth and back and forth.

I glanced upward to where a ghostly image of the water was cast on the ceiling—a white shadow that bobbed and gurgled as water flowed through my fingers.

I looked back down, trying to focus on the pattern of shadows and gleams I saw before me, and not on the rash of goosebumps spreading up and down my arms. But yet they seemed… to fade inexplicably. Rather, the shine of the water seemed to vanish; the shadows deepened as though the fluid was losing its sense of clarity.

“Wha… what the?” I began, trying to lift my fingers out of the basin, but encountering unexpected resistance. The liquid sucked at my hands, as though loathe to let them go.

“What do you see?” Eusine demanded, leaning forward to get a closer look. “Is it Suicune?!”

Black sludge. Somehow the water had been transmuted into some kind of vile, disgusting ooze. I pulled myself away from the pan in revulsion, knocking the chair back in my hurry to get away from it.

I’m not sure if it was my sudden movement or Eusine… or perhaps something else entirely, but a candle tipped and fell straight into the newly transformed substance. The hairs on the backs of my hands were burnt away as a fireball bloomed into existence, filling the room with the smell of a burning tire yard.

The pan was not enough to contain it; whatever it was. It spilled from its container with no regard for gravitational forces. It lifted upwards, sludge dripping down and fire burning upwards as its core floated.

Fire has a voice. It crackles and hisses and even roars as it billows and engulfs. My singed hands throbbed as the tide of flame sucked at the oxygen in the room, furious and starving. I knew this fear. This was how I felt when I dreamt of Falkner’s near-death. This must’ve been what Falkner and Eusine felt as they believed Sprout Tower was burning around them.

The ooze was nothing more than a dribbling mass as it rose—liquid sliding in sheets off of some kind of invisible core. But then the core seemed to expand until it was much bigger than the contents of that pan could’ve possibly held. It was our own private supernova. And it shuddered as though it was only seconds away from explosion.

“What did you do?!” I heard Eusine shout, but my eyes couldn’t leave the ball of fire for even a moment.

Ball of fire… that’s what it started out as. But when it finished expanding it began defining itself. Parts were cut away until and smoldering, spikey mass remained. It lifted something that might’ve been a limb, if such a thing could be anthropomorphized enough to say it had limbs. Whatever the case, a plume of fire jutted out toward me. I felt as though I was being pointed out. It made a sound like a maddened furnace and sank toward me—not quickly, but with a slow, inevitable force.

I crossed my hands in front of my face as the specter moved toward its final destination. My head felt light and strange, as though it had sprung a leak. I thrashed back and forth, trying to get away from the ghost of flame and tar, knocking my chair over as I went. But no matter how I dodged it, it always corrected its course toward me with tireless determination. I had been selected.

“No! No!” I shrieked. “Not me! Not again!” I said these words as though by saying them I could somehow tear myself away from whatever this reasonless intelligence, whatever fate had in mind for me. I wouldn’t be taken over. Not again.

And to my surprise, the creature stopped. It looked at me. I could see no eyes on it, but I know it looked at me. Its halo of smoke felt around the room, searching for something. And then it turned and began its slow, definite descent toward a new target. Eusine.

Eusine had fallen on the floor and was backing up as the thing drew itself hungrily toward him. His eyes were wide and his mouth was moving in incomprehension. This was something that he couldn’t turn away—that his bluster and pomp would have no effect on. A shaky hand reached for his Pokemon, but what could they do against the forces of hell? What could I do?

“No that’s…” I began. “That’s not what I meant!”

What was I supposed to do? Shout “take me instead?” The thought occurred. It has occurred to me several times since that night.

I acted blindly. I reached out and yanked at the old rug that covered the floor, upending the table on my mad shot of adrenaline. I held it in front of me like a shield and dove for the light that I could see easily even through the threads. I knew its threadbare material would provide me little protection against the flame. Still, I leapt forward and smothered the fiery beast with my body. It let out an enraged shriek as the rug went up in flames—taking me with it.

I know what it’s like to burn to death. I am very much alive today, but I know. Because my body wasn’t burning then, but my mind and soul certainly thought it was.

I think when I do die, it’ll be like that moment stretched out to infinity.

My clothing bore the marks of being splashed by water, not stained by sludge. Fitting, considering the fire hadn’t left a single scorch mark. The moment has evaporated and I was still me. Nothing had crawled into my soul with me during that baptism of fire. Nothing but panic.

I didn’t bother to change my clothes. I just climbed into my bunk back at the dormitory and folded my hands over my chest, eyes closed defiantly.

“Look… you know that’s not how I wanted that to go,” Eusine whispered from the floor. His voice was reedy, shaken, but he seemed to be trying to regain control of it—to hold on to good sense and purpose. “But at least it proves I was right. You do have power. How else could you have brought something like that here without even trying?”

I didn’t answer.

“You… obviously couldn’t control it,” he admitted. “But that’ll come with time. Imagine the possibilities if you could just…” he trailed off, uncertain how to finish. “…Not let it go haywire like that.”

I said nothing.

“Morty?” he tried.

Again, I said nothing.

“Morty… what did you mean by ‘not again?’” he asked.

I turned over, facing the wall away from him—willing to answer his questions only with silence.

I knew it was day again and well past the time I should’ve gotten up. The darkness I tried to hold in my gaze was dispelled by the ceiling lights of the dorm shining through my closed eyes and tinting my quiet world of sleep with a flesh-colored glow. There was a bustle from below me—people stomping in and out, packing things away, and chatting mildly to one another. I knew I could not get back to sleep, but still, I stubbornly kept my eyes closed and tried.

“Hey you,” a voice said, accompanying his greeting with a knock on the wooden bedpost. “Sleepy McNap-Nap, did you hear a word I just said?”

Giving up, I let my eyes plop open and slid to a sitting position, taking in the surroundings from my top bunk. Moving day—that’s what it was. Graduation was over and everyone was packing their things away to take them… where? Home, or maybe college—perhaps they were going to strike out on their own, find an apartment in Violet’s lower rent district, or hitchhike to Goldenrod and try to make it big.

I blinked blearily and turned my attention to the person who had been addressing me—our RA. He was holding a piece of green, photocopied paper which he kept glaring at.

“Sorry… what?” I asked.

He heaved a sigh, as though he found it rather annoying that I couldn’t take in his words of wisdom while I was unconscious. “I’ll give you the short version,” he said. “Clean your shit up. We want this place to look nicer than when you guys moved in.”

“We’re not miracle workers, Charlie,” one of my classmates griped as he tried to zip up and overstuffed duffle bag, with the help of his Furret who was bracing herself against the bag.

“Ha ha,” Charlie dead-panned. “And hey, before I forget,” he added, glancing at his sheet of paper before looking back up at me, “if you stole any of the mugs from the cafeteria, you can drop them off in the blue collection bin by the door.”

I twisted myself around so that my legs were hanging over the ladder to my bunk. “I didn’t steal any mugs,” I commented.

He rolled his eyes. “Look… nobody cares if you took ‘em or not,” he said, as though my stealing mugs was not a possibility, but a certainty. “They just want ‘em back—no questions asked.”

“Fine,” I said, deciding not to argue the point as I climbed down the ladder. As I hit the ground, I found myself swirling in a sea of people hurriedly shoving things into boxes and bags. So much activity, and I could not bring myself to partake in any such busyness.

Instead I looked around. None of the bodies racing across the room were wearing bow-ties.

“Where’s Eusine?” I asked, unsure at this point if I meant t locate him to seek him out or to purposefully avoid him.

The boy nearest to me gave a sour frown. “Haven’t seen him since breakfast,” he said.

“Oh,” I said.

“Better get moving if you want to get out of here anytime soon,” Charlie commented. “Not that you have much,” he added, giving my meager possessions a sidelong glance, “but you’ve got a late start.”

“Yeah…” I said, pulling on my pants and trying to put-off the inevitable moment of boxing my life up. The others were enthusiastic about leaving, but they had places to go. They weren’t packing to be homeless—directionless.

“Oh, right and don’t forget to clean out your mailbox before you go,” Charlie put in, prodding at a point on his to-do list with his finger. “Save the school from paying the extra postage to forward it.”

I pulled on a sweater that it was far too warm out for. “I’ll do that now,” I decided, looking around for my shoes.

“…But you haven’t even started packing,” Charlie said, raising an eyebrow.

“I’ll do it when I get back,” I said, tying my laces and hoping that the next step in my life would materialize by the time I got back from my walk.

It did.

I fished around in my pocket for the key to my mailbox as I walked along the sidewalk toward the communal hall, dodging students lugging couches and piles of boxes toward waiting cars as I went. I had no car, but it was just as well; I had no destination.

Ecruteak was an automatic no-go. After talking with Nico, there was no way I could buy into the notion that Madam Antonella could be absolutely counted on to keep Gastly under her control if I went back. Anyway, even if she could… what would I be going back to? Aunt Polly’s house was no home of mine.

Eusine would be of no help to me. Even after what he’d seen the night before he still persisted in using me to the point of sacrifice to find Suicune. I could no longer go to him in search of direction.

Falkner was an appealing choice to turn to, but he knew nothing of my situation and I didn’t know how I’d tell him. There was little hope he’d be able to help even if he knew.

There was the idea of a Pokemon journey—always in the back of my mind as a Plan B. Surely I wasn’t the first to consider using it as a means of delaying a decision—a decision of home, occupation and future. Perhaps I could… just leave it all behind; go to a different region and cut away everything that bound me to Ecruteak.

…A different region. What a joke. Could I honestly have believed that even for a minute after what had happened the night before? This wasn’t just about my Gastly and wasn’t just about Ecruteak. Something had reached me even in Violet City. …And back at Sprout Tower the ghosts there had reacted to me as well. I couldn’t run away from the entire spirit world. There is no region on earth where the living population is not outnumbered by the dead.

So where did that leave me? With Brother Nico’s suggestion of religion? Should I have taken it upon myself to use a shield I doubted the strength of? Surrender myself to fasting and prayer? Wall myself up underground and become a recluse? Live like a dead man to escape the dead?

I entered the hall only to see that I seemed to be among the last people to remember to clean out their mailboxes. Most of the doors hung open along the bank of metal squares, revealing nothing but emptiness inside. I shielded my eyes from the sunlight filtering through the wide window just up above the lockers and fed my key into the box.

I didn’t expect much. All I seemed to get these days were credit card offers, pleas from the Audino Foundation to donate blood, and the occasional money from Aunt Polly enclosed without so much as a post-it note.

When I opened the locker, a single cardboard box sat in the cold, black center of the compartment. I took it out, momentarily jarred from my thoughts of the future by its oddity. I never got packages.

The box was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. It was tied with frayed brown thread and bore no return address. I tore at the thread—an easier task than simply untying the knot—and flipped open the cardboard slots.

A newspaper article had been cut out and placed at the very top of the package so that it would be the first thing that whoever opened the box would see. It was black-and-white, an Ecruteak paper but not the more popular in-color Ecruteak Examiner. The top of the page proclaimed it to be The Lower-Ecruteak Gazette. A blocky, sans serif font blared from the top of the cutting, commanding all attention and rendering the rest of the article a mere blur in my mind. “Local Businesswoman Antonella Karas Dies in Staircase Fall” it proclaimed, its bluntness reverberating in my ears.

Local Businesswoman Antonella Karas Dies in Staircase Fall. Antonella Karas Dies. Dies.

I couldn’t read the article. The headline was already too much. I tore the newspaper away, letting the clipping fall to the floor. I almost thought I heard a sigh as the covering was removed and the item that hid below it was revealed.

Its scratch-resistant surface was still just as perfect as I remembered it. Red and white, split down the middle. I reached out for it numbly, wondering if the red would smear away if I touched it. As though something besides paint colored the half that was no longer pure white.

I held the Poke Ball in my hands and knew that the smartest thing I could possibly do would be to get rid of it as fast as I could—any way I could. It would’ve been better to bury it in the forest, beneath a hollowed-out and ghostly tree; to toss it into the ocean and never so much as look at the water again; even to shove it into someone else’s locker or drop it in a donation bin. Selfish was better than what would be in store for me if I opened it.

I brushed my thumb across the button on its seam. There are days when I tell myself it was an accident, but this is not one of them.

The two halves split open with the pop of an air release valve. Light shot out of it—it shouldn’t have been so bright, so white, so clean. It did not stay light. It grew dark and less ethereal as it formed. It wasn’t quite a solid, but it wasn’t quite a gas. It had substance, but it was dimensionally separate.

As its shape solidified in front of the window, it eclipsed the sunlight, leaving only shreds of golden light to pour in around it, outlining every spike, every horn.

At first I could say nothing. My eyes were locked with the creature.

“You…” I murmured, as I began breathing again—not normally, mind you—ragged, fast and uneven, but I was breathing. “You’ve… grown.”

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
So sorry it took me so long to get here

Fiery Flareon brand matches

Hah! Inventive, nice touch

After all, changing the light source from electric to flame shouldn’t have really made that much of a difference

I liked that portion as well. The way he's saying that let's the reader thinks he's sure of the statement, but at the same time the reader knows that he's not assuring himself, he's trying to convince himself, and you accomplished that in such a subtle way that I realized it without realizing it. I hoe that makes sense lol

The constantly moving flames of the candles cast strange reflections in the water—shadows and lights that seemed to dance organically.

Wonderfully written, I was easily able to form a picture of that in my mind

a white shadow that bobbed and gurgled as water flowed through my fingers.

That sentence confused me. Are you saying that the shadow on the ceiling is making the sounds, or is the water around his fingertips making the sound and it just seems like its coming from the shadow?

The hairs on the backs of my hands were burnt away as a fireball bloomed into existence, filling the room with the smell of a burning tire yard.

Wow, this sure is getting cranked up to eleven

The ooze was nothing more than a dribbling mass as it rose—liquid sliding in sheets off of some kind of invisible core. But then the core seemed to expand until it was much bigger than the contents of that pan could’ve possibly held. It was our own private supernova.

That would sure be an interesting picture. You should draw that scene if you ever have a bonus features section after you finish the fic. So if the ooze is coming out of the bottom of the ball and the fire is roaring from the top, then mostly the ceiling would be illuminated then, right? That also makes for a fun visual because as it gets bigger and brighter the lower half of the room gets darker and eventually its just them and the sludge. Eww

Parts were cut away until and smoldering, spikey mass remained.

Gengar?

and hoping that the next step in my life would materialize by the time I got back from my walk.

I was wondering about that. Since he started living with his aunt he knew the path he was headed, then ghastly happened, then she sent him to the school. Now that he's finished I can see why he's eager for almost anything to present itself to him. He has no bloody idea what he's going to do at all.

Local Businesswoman Antonella Karas Dies in Staircase Fall. Antonella Karas Dies. Dies.

omgomgomgomg yes!

“You…” I murmured, as I began breathing again—not normally, mind you—ragged, fast and uneven, but I was breathing. “You’ve… grown.”

You mentioned before this quoted portion that the sunlight accented every spike and horn, which makes me think that Ghastly is a Haunter instead of the Gengar that I previously guessed. Either way I don't care I'm just happy that they're reunited again and we can get some more personality/thoughts from my favorite fic ghost. All in all the chapter was very good. I have a feeling the pace will start moving faster now that Morty has him back now, and I'm crossing my fingers to see some battles, especially now that I can see some mind-melding between the two going on as its happening. Dialogue, grammar, length, everything was spot-on as usual (other than the one bit I quoted above). I enjoyed myself

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
Thank you so much for reading over this and for the comments!

Hah! Inventive, nice touch

A lot of that was just my desperate attempt to stick some Pokemon into this (same with that Furret mention later on). But after this chapter I shouldn't have to try as hard to get Pokemon in this.

That sentence confused me. Are you saying that the shadow on the ceiling is making the sounds, or is the water around his fingertips making the sound and it just seems like its coming from the shadow?

The water itself is gurgling. It's just that Morty is focused on the shadow, so it seems to him like the shadow is gurgling. It's meant to kinda come off like a live-thing, like a ghost to foreshadow the appearance later on, so I was trying to make it kinda seem alive in his eyes.

Wow, this sure is getting cranked up to eleven

XD Glad it worked out that way. The previous chapter was a bit too light hearted and I felt we needed to get back to horror.

That would sure be an interesting picture. You should draw that scene if you ever have a bonus features section after you finish the fic. So if the ooze is coming out of the bottom of the ball and the fire is roaring from the top, then mostly the ceiling would be illuminated then, right? That also makes for a fun visual because as it gets bigger and brighter the lower half of the room gets darker and eventually its just them and the sludge. Eww

X_x I wish I could draw it! I'm just not that good of an artist.

omgomgomgomg yes!

XD **** just got real.

You mentioned before this quoted portion that the sunlight accented every spike and horn, which makes me think that Ghastly is a Haunter instead of the Gengar that I previously guessed. Either way I don't care I'm just happy that they're reunited again and we can get some more personality/thoughts from my favorite fic ghost.

:p My lips are sealed! *is acting like this is a big important spoiler when it's not at all*

All in all the chapter was very good. I have a feeling the pace will start moving faster now that Morty has him back now, and I'm crossing my fingers to see some battles, especially now that I can see some mind-melding between the two going on as its happening. Dialogue, grammar, length, everything was spot-on as usual (other than the one bit I quoted above). I enjoyed myself

Thank you! Things are beginning to slot into place, and I think things will move quicker now that Morty's done with school (well, it'll move faster in the body of the story. Don't know if I can promise speed in updates). I think it's pretty clear by this point that battles aren't really my focus, but there *will* be some battling at some point in this story, I can promise that.