• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Possibility of more main characters/rivals switching their goals in future?

Shooti

Uber Trainer
We have seen Brock and Gary changing their goals in the past despite all odds against it to happen. The thread question is What do you think about the possibility of more main characters/rivals changing their goal in future (in their cameo appearances if any)?If yes then who in your opinion is the most likely candidate?
-Who would have thought that after 14 long years of repeating "I wanna be the best pokemon breeder of the world" Brock would change his goal out of the blue?

If Brock and Gary can switch their goals then IMO anyone except Ash can. What do you think? Discuss...

I would answer later..

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They switched Misty, Brock, and Gary's goals in a way to write them out of the series. Not to mention their initial goals were hardly focused on in the series anyway.

Although I get the suspicion Dawn should probably become a Pokestylist instead of a coordinator.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
It doesn't really matter if they're gone already, but I don't want any last minute decisions like they did with Brock. That was a really bad way to write him out.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It doesn't really matter if they're gone already, but I don't want any last minute decisions like they did with Brock. That was a really bad way to write him out.

Brock had been doing doctor and healing stuff all throughout the show though.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Brock had been doing doctor and healing stuff all throughout the show though.

But he always called himself a breeder. Suddenly, in the 2nd to last episode of the saga, he wants to be a doctor. I think the writers should have developed his decision more over a period of episodes.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
They switched Misty, Brock, and Gary's goals in a way to write them out of the series. Not to mention their initial goals were hardly focused on in the series anyway.

Although I get the suspicion Dawn should probably become a Pokestylist instead of a coordinator.

Pretty much that.

Shooti

Uber Trainer
For some reason I believe that writers won't let the group have two top coordinators in the anime near the epilogue(if that ever comes). I think one of main coordinators would eventually switch her goal to do another side-quest(which may not have battling involved with pokemon like Brock's goal). I think the anime has dropped enough hints to show that it could be Dawn. After all during her tenure on the show the writers did pretty much everything they could have done with Dawn as a coordinator. Even showing her becoming a runner-up in her first ever attempt at the biggest regional contest event. The only thing left with her to show is her winning a GF on-screen (and possibly a champions trophy in case that exists).

So IMO the most likely to do so is Dawn. A close second IMO would be Misty because the writers don't seem to be willing to let Misty travel on her own like May/Dawn.

As far as I know, Misty never blatantly confessed of pursuing another goal like Brock and Gary did on-screen. Her goal is still to become a water pokemon master. Just because she's stuck at gym and not travelling for whatever reasons doesn't mean that she changed her goal.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Just about every episode to extensively feature Brock showed him being more of a doctor than a breeder. Do we even really know what breeding is? Nowadays it would mean looking after somebody's pokemon and helping them to have eggs, but eggs didn't exist at the time that the idea was introduced in the series. I say being a doctor is a great goal for him- they came up with "I'd like to be a Pokemon Breeder" in his very first appearance and then couldn't think of much to do with that, then when it came to the time for him to leave they realised, like the rest of us, that he'd be an excellent doctor. It's a good thing.

As for Gary, we at least have the knowledge that pokemon research runs in his family. Plus, the majority of his pokemon at the time had some sort of interesting evolution quirk (like stone or item-induced, or in the case of Umbreon happiness-induced) so you could buy that he was fascinated with the evolution aspect of pokemon.

And as far as Misty goes, they had her become a full-time water-type gym leader... isn't that what being a "water pokemon master" is? How many times have we heard a gym leader being described as a master of their chosen type? Almost EVERY time!

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Do we know what Iris's goal is yet? She has been in the show for quite a while now and it's not clear what she wants to be.

A Dragon Master.

Haunter ゴースト

There were plenty of hints even before DP190 of Brock being a Doctor, even in Hoenn.

I would say Gary's goal was focused on a lot for being a Pokemon Master, after his defeat at Johto though the writers chose to switch his goal, which I guess makes sense, the show will always have someone one step ahead of Ash, not the opposite way around.

Tericarax

Foolish/chosen one
Do we even really know what breeding is?

In the episode 28, the narrator says that a Pokémon breeder is someone who works to raise splendid Pokémons.

Someone switching his/her goal...I'd say Iris will. Her goal, if I recall correctly, is to become a great dragon-type trainer. Yet, as we saw in the video game, she will become a gym leader, just like Kasumi did. This is not really a change of goal, though, since she is specialized in Dragon-type, but this changes a bit from what she decided...I guess?...

pokemon fan 132

People change all the time careers in real life so it wouldnt be particularly strange if someone else beside Gary or Brock follow same path too.Wit Gary it kinda made sense to decide following his grandfather footsteps becoming fascinated with all kind of different pokemon species and their evolution realizing after Johto tournament what h wants to do with his life.

With Brock last minute decision of deciding to become doctor was just bad writing with no proper build up or foreshadowing happening prior to that.However he showed some interest for such thing earlier in DP and at end of AG so in a way becoming doctor can be viewed as step up from pokemon breeder with both careers having several things in common when it comes to taking care of pokemon,healing them and keeping in good shape.

Out of every past character i say biggest possibility of someone changing his goal would be Dawn.We already saw her showing quite a lot of interest in becoming pokemon stylist admiring Paris and her Lopunny.Since Dawn main ambition was to become top coordinator of one region like her mother Johanna and doesnt seem to have any aims of striving toward something more once she does everything she can in this area i could see her changing career deciding to become pokemon stylist following footsteps of her idol in that branch.Not to mention she has Buneary which would be suitable pokemon for someone who pursue this goal as we get to see with his evolved form.

With others chances are little smaller.With Misty as it was showed her dream is still to become water master taking over gym out of necessity and obligation(Not because she wanted)and for all we know seeing how she wasnt been showed for years she could likely went on her own adventure in meantime advancing ultimate dream(Like Wallace did who left gym leader position to learn new things and improve skills before becoming champion and on of best water trainers in world).

Sam with May,it was showed how sh still plans becoming top coordinator judging by her last appearance.

While some like Gary or Brock changed their goals,Misty never changed her dream.

She only returned back to gym when her sisters called her back out of obligation later on staying there because of sisters incompetence not having choice but to stay there since they didnt want to take care of it anymore.
We can see that in episodes like "A Date with Delcatty"where she complained about having to do everything by herself at end of episode with sad tone stating "how her sisters are of no use,having to stay there doing her best",or in her cameos like "A Real Cleffa Hanger" where she showed frustration of not having anyone to rely on when Daisy rushed her back not being able to leave place even for a moment.

Chronicles didnt showed any indication of Misty character giving up from water pokemon master thing or showed any indication of dropping it like Gary or Brock for example did.She always viewed gym as some kind of job deciding to stay there to help sisters out and because of not having substitute to leave it in its hands.If anything her complaining about sisters carefree attitude not jumping in to help her out,frustration with not having someone to rely on leaving gym in his hands(Like in Real Cleffa Hanger)and showing displeasure still being interested in learning everything she can about water types showed how she still hasnt given up on her original career of becoming water master with gym not bing hr dream.

Similar to how Brock had his dreams but didnt had a choice but to stay in gym taking care of it until his father returned being free to leave.

And as far as Misty goes, they had her become a full-time water-type gym leader... isn't that what being a "water pokemon master" is? How many times have we heard a gym leader being described as a master of their chosen type? Almost EVERY time!

Except its not,with gym leader thing not having anything to do with Misty goal.When it comes to becoming water master,this was stated to mean becoming strongest water trainer in world like E4 are who are best trainers out there specializing in one type being one of reasons she traveled not having any interest in gym.
Furthermore Misty herself stated for Lorelei to be her idol admiring hr skills and knowledge when using ice and water types dreaming to become that strong one day.

It was established in original series how carer of water master is similar to Ash goal of pokemon master requiring traveling,meet strong trainers and learn about pokemon in wild along with advancing it through tournaments/competitions.
We can see further confirmation to that during Whirl Cup when it was clearly showed how there exist tasks someone needs to win in order to become water master,with prof.Elm explaining connection between whole tournament and goal of becoming master of water types.Like when he mentioned how winner gains title "Alpha Omega of water types" being one of tasks water masters in past accomplished.

Just like coordinators have contests,Ash gyms,in Misty situation there existed tasks she needs to win in order to achieve what she strive for too.It just happens writers never expanded more on it.

It was also established in pokemon anime how there exist different meanings for one type masters.Like "Water pokemon master"for example being explained to be strongest water pokemon trainer in world with prestigious title being given to those who proven themselves worldwide among other water trainers,while with Iris goal it was showed how "dragon master" means very specific title which is given to those from dragon village who have proven themselves to be worthy of it by having immense knowledge and expertise about dragon types.

On top of that it was showed how E4 members are probably closest thing to one type masters with some so far being called as such like Lance being labeled as unbeatable "dragon master",Lorelei which was referred as master of ice types etc.Somehing which gym leaders arent and hasnt been referred as such

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Other then Cilan and Iris who cares? The old characters are pretty much dead now and we probably won't be seeing much of them and it would be really cheap if they returned and just said they switched goals offscreen without some kind of build up or special episode about it. They could have switched Dawn's goal, because her as a second coordinator didn't help her (even if I found many of the mistakes done with May corrected with her) and she stayed in May's shadow her entire run as a character, but there was still not enough build up on that Pokestlyist to switch her without it being last minute. At least with Brock's it made some kind of sense since he's been helping nurse Pokemon back to health since Kanto, but it was still last minute. Plus I doubt Pokestlyist's Pokemon get much battle exercise. Dawn's Pokemon who are not terribly strong would all get even weaker with no battle activity. Brock's Pokemon at least have a gym to rotate to. If she was to change her goals I hope it's not Pokestylist. I can't see anyone else switching. Misty is determined to become a Water master, Ash we all know, Max is to young, and we still can't be sure of Iris and Cilan just yet since they have a lot of time to change.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Iris isn't even trying to be a dragon master she has emolga excadrill and axew.
She needs a new goal.

CupidKirby

For some reason, I can see Trip changing his goals. Whenever he loses/ties, he's always so frustrated with himself, almost like he doesn't really enjoy battling as much as just skipping to the champion part. Maybe it's just because of what happened to Gary though...

And yeah, the thing with Iris not having any Dragon types other than Axew is weird but understandable. She's built up a strong team with Emolga and Excadrill too, so there's no point in not battling with them just because they're not Dragon types but I don't know if she'll be forced to never use them if she does become a Dragon master. If that was the case, I can see her changing her goal.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
For some reason, I can see Trip changing his goals. Whenever he loses/ties, he's always so frustrated with himself, almost like he doesn't really enjoy battling as much as just skipping to the champion part. Maybe it's just because of what happened to Gary though...

And yeah, the thing with Iris not having any Dragon types other than Axew is weird but understandable. She's built up a strong team with Emolga and Excadrill too, so there's no point in not using them just because they're not Dragon types. I don't know if she'll be forced to follow that rule though if she does become a Dragon master.

Trip might keep his goal of defeating alder but after that...

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
They might not change their goals. With some characters like Brock it needed a change because it was going no where but everyone doesn't need a change, just need to pursuit it.