• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Possible Ad Change

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
The constant ads on the bottom of the screen are reaching extremely annoying proportions now; I spend more time clicking them away than I do posting stuff. I don't understand why y'all can't simply ask for donations to cover the cost of the servers or whatever. If this is how the site will operate from now on, then I think you should expect less visitors.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The constant ads on the bottom of the screen are reaching extremely annoying proportions now; I spend more time clicking them away than I do posting stuff. I don't understand why y'all can't simply ask for donations to cover the cost of the servers or whatever. If this is how the site will operate from now on, then I think you should expect less visitors.
Because donations are not a sustainable model.

It's a standard on the Internet to have a sticky ad as it is. I've resisted as much as I can but it's become a necessity.

I get it's a bit annoying but it is mostly out of the way, it's dismissable and it's not loud, large, audio or video. I hope you understand

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Because donations are not a sustainable model.

It's a standard on the Internet to have a sticky ad as it is. I've resisted as much as I can but it's become a necessity.

I get it's a bit annoying but it is mostly out of the way, it's dismissable and it's not loud, large, audio or video. I hope you understand
Its your site, we trust that you're not in it for the money by now LOL
Only very ungrateful people would hold it against you, so long as its easy to browse and accurate, as it always has been, you'll be fine.

But I do worry that the site is not diversifying enough. Gen-Z gamers aren't as willing to spend as much time reading essays and articles compared to browsing videos.

raichu27

I don't like how the ad is at the bottom of the page rather than the top of the page. When I try to close the ad, it does not work.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
I don't like how the ad is at the bottom of the page rather than the top of the page. When I try to close the ad, it does not work.
Are you pressing the grey circle?

There's currently a weird CSS fault on FireFox and Safari preventing the X from appearing, but it does on Chrome. That's how you close it

raichu27

Are you pressing the grey circle?

There's currently a weird CSS fault on FireFox and Safari preventing the X from appearing, but it does on Chrome. That's how you close it
I tried pressing the X on the top right corner, but it does not close. I use Firefox, by the way.

I still think it was better when the ad was at the top of the page.

pokefreakceetje

Look, I totally understand that you use ads. Alas, on mobile this ad approach is pretty bothersome. I believe donations are the future, coming from a perspective of seeing multiple sites taking the approach of both ads and donations.

You could for instance add a login function to the main site to keep track of which user is whom. Although I doubt that would be feasible. As such I would prefer it if it were less intrusive and better targeted ads, as in the past I have seen rather NSFW ads on this site. I understand you fixed that but it happened. The intrusiveness is prinarpri on my phone where the bottom ad isn't really working out as it overlaps content (that could be fixed by adding some padding at the bottom of the site but as I read prior you're working on a mobile site, which, as I know, takes a lot of time (especially for such a big and old site). Aside of that, an optional donation option for people who use AdBlock could help a bit out. Not everyone will donate but there are definitely people out there who will.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Alas, on mobile this ad approach is pretty bothersome.

This. My previous comment was about ads on the regular version of the forum, but I've started using the mobile version in the past few days and the ads take up like 1/3 of the screen; it's especially intrusive when I reply to posts because the ads sometimes block the text box. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful before though, it's just that I'm not used to sites with such bothersome ads. :(

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
This. My previous comment was about ads on the regular version of the forum, but I've started using the mobile version in the past few days and the ads take up like 1/3 of the screen; it's especially intrusive when I reply to posts because the ads sometimes block the text box. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful before though, it's just that I'm not used to sites with such bothersome ads. :(
I'll see if we can get it so it doesn't stick on the forums :)

I tried pressing the X on the top right corner, but it does not close. I use Firefox, by the way.

I still think it was better when the ad was at the top of the page.
Then you're pressing the wrong thing. We're trying to fix the reason why FireFox isn't displaying the X, but it still is displaying the circle to dismiss

nJlvavv.png

It's right next to the banner. That'll dismiss it

Look, I totally understand that you use ads. Alas, on mobile this ad approach is pretty bothersome. I believe donations are the future, coming from a perspective of seeing multiple sites taking the approach of both ads and donations.

You could for instance add a login function to the main site to keep track of which user is whom. Although I doubt that would be feasible. As such I would prefer it if it were less intrusive and better targeted ads, as in the past I have seen rather NSFW ads on this site. I understand you fixed that but it happened. The intrusiveness is prinarpri on my phone where the bottom ad isn't really working out as it overlaps content (that could be fixed by adding some padding at the bottom of the site but as I read prior you're working on a mobile site, which, as I know, takes a lot of time (especially for such a big and old site). Aside of that, an optional donation option for people who use AdBlock could help a bit out. Not everyone will donate but there are definitely people out there who will.
Unfortunately there is no way donations would ever be a viable way of keeping the site alive. It wouldn't even cover server costs

Last edited:

pokefreakceetje

I'll see if we can get it so it doesn't stick on the forums :)

Then you're pressing the wrong thing. We're trying to fix the reason why FireFox isn't displaying the X, but it still is displaying the circle to dismiss

nJlvavv.png

It's right next to the banner. That'll dismiss it

Unfortunately there is no way donations would ever be a viable way of keeping the site alive. It wouldn't even cover server costs

I know donations will not cover everything, it could be an additional thing. Of course I don't know how much you spend on the server. I'd unblock your site tbh but that new approach seems rather eeerrrmmm... Not sure but I'd say more intrusive looking/even more bothersome on Android. On my phone I got no adblocker. On my laptop it's due to the slugginess of many sites and the intrusiveness that I use one.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
I know donations will not cover everything, it could be an additional thing. Of course I don't know how much you spend on the server. I'd unblock your site tbh but that new approach seems rather eeerrrmmm... Not sure but I'd say more intrusive looking/even more bothersome on Android. On my phone I got no adblocker. On my laptop it's due to the slugginess of many sites and the intrusiveness that I use one.
The new approach is on a case-by-case basis and would appear in like 10-20,000 of the over 1.2 million page impressions a day though

pokefreakceetje

The new approach is on a case-by-case basis and would appear in like 10-20,000 of the over 1.2 million page impressions a day though

I see, also: that's a lot of impressions for a fansite tbh.

pokefreakceetje

It'd also be limited so data pages like the Pokédex would 100% never get those ads

And na, that's just quiet times really

Alright, I appreciate it. Anyway, I understand that maintaining a site isn't free.