• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Possible counters for Garchomp

Dark Destiny

Battle Noob
My first contender was recently(ish) brought down from Ubers. She is very popular with many battlers due to her typing and stats; Latias. Outside of Outrage, Garchomp's other prominent move is Earthquake. If Latias were to switch in to EQ she will take no damage and can chase Garchomp off or hit it with Draco Meteor or Ice Beam. She has decent enough defensive stats that I believe she can survive a hard Outrage while holding a Haban berry. She is faster than Garchomp so switch in, survive, and then attack.

That is indeed a counter, but most people would predict that and dragonclaw/outrage.

The second one that can be used is Torterra. He has a high HP, attack, and defense stats, resists EQ, and has access to Outrage. Most Garchomps out there are preparing for an Ice Attack with a Yache berry. An Outrage from Torterra should take down Garchomp in one hit. I do realize that if my Latias catches on, more Garchomps will carry a Haban berry.

The problem with Torterra is that it's slow, and it's UU. I don't think (or very few) people have Torterra on a OU team. Once you switch in Torterra and use outrage, lots of pokes such as lucario can come in after Garchomp's gone, set up, kill Torterra and sweep.
You also missed the vital fact that lots of Garchomps carry either Subsitute/Fire Fang. So if you switch in on the EQ you will get owned by Fire Fang in the next move considering Garchomp is a lot faster than Torterra.
Garchomp also boosts SD, some Garchomps carry Dragon Claw, so even if you come in on an resisted boosted EQ, it will still finish you off with Dragon CLaw or Fire Fang, Dragon Claw is more likely because the battler will predict the switch and because it has higher accuracy.

Rhyperior is my third example. Smogon has stated that he can make a decent counter to Salamence, so barring a super effective EQ he will be fine against Garchomp. Garchomps unboosted Outrages do less damage than Salamence because of a lower attack stat. Even then Solid Rock and his defensive stats help him survive EQ with enough power to take him down. With Ice Punch and his impressive attack Garchomp shall go down. Assistance from Spikes and Toxic Spikes make this easier.

IF you're using the supporting Tank which probably has the best defensive Evs in a Rhyperior, a boosted EQ from Garchomp will do 71.1% - 84.3%. So 2HKO because Garchomp is faster. The only way you'll get to KO Garchomp with Rhyperior is if you come in on the Non boosted EQ which only does 35.6% - 42.6%. Again, this isn't a great pokemon to counter Garchomp. If you come in on the outrage, it really depends if it's boosted or not, if it's not then you'll be fine but you'll still take heavy damage, 28.7% - 34%. Or 68% after you take 2 outrages, with +2 Stat boost, it'll KO 56.9% - 67.4% each ourage so gaurentee 2HKO

Metagross has a similar concept to Rhyperior. An Outrage locked Garchomp can be taken down with Ice Punch and Bullet punch. Turn one switch in, turn two Ice Punch, and turn three use Bullet punch. Garchomp should have fallen by now. This one is less effective than Rhyperior because EQ really hurts.

Ice Punch from a 252 flawless Ev'd Metagross wil do 98.6% - 116.5% with 1 ice punch so the 3rd BP won't do anything ;). But you have to come in on the Outrage, if it's a Dragon Claw Garchomp you'll probably die from EQ the following turn (CBA to do damage cal)

Any Garchomp out there that has some damage will fear the Bullet Punch from Scizor. The number one OU Pokémon (I believe that Smogon said this) can cause some serious damage to Garchomp. Normally, despite the decent HP and Def, Garchomp runs max attack and speed and throws defense to the side.

Yeah, but Garchomp can KO Scizor with Fire Fang but not get KO'd from BP from Scizor ;)

jellsprout

agility subpetaya empoleon is a fantastic counter to garchomp. come in when it is locked into an outrage, use agility, followed by substitute until he gets out of it, then keep using sub when he EQs until you are in range for a +1spatk ice beam. that should knock it out pretty easily.

Can't come in on Earthquake for Choice sets or anything but Outrage for non-Choice sets. Not a counter.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
Obamasnow/Glaceon combo (and I know I spelt Abomasnow wrong.) could work. Glaceon's ability enables a better chance of evasion, Abomasnow's Snow Warning hurts Garchomp each turn, and super effective Ice-moves. Only problem is Abomasnow is weak to Aerial Ace.

Anytyme23

metagross with ev'd defence and attack and ice punch. I OHKO'd a garchomp like this.

Atticus the Sniper

All the ice-types you all are suggesting are, in most cases, OHKO'd by Fire Fang, which Garchomp usually runs.

Bronzong can come in on just about everything barring a +2 LO Fire Fang or something, and can Gyro Ball, Explode, whatever.

Dark Destiny

Battle Noob
I think we all know why Garchomp is considered Uber now.

There are many things that resists Garchomp but with Garchomp's very high Speed, it can finish you off with a 2HKO.

With Sandstorm up, Garchomp gets it's evasion up and it's even harder to KO.
The best bet of scaring off Garchomp is to sacrifice a pokemon then bring in a scarfed poke to scare it away or kill it.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
If we are using the strongest moves, like Giga Impact or Meteor Mash, it won't work. Garchomp has the ability to avoid those moves with his high Speed. i think the best way to defeat a Garchomp is with 2-3 strong pokemon, if you are switching pokemon, and Garchomp beats it, i think you need to switch untill the Garchomp will lost.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
It would need some kind of Levitating Steel/Flying-Type with a strong Ice-Type move and the Heatproof ability xD
Will the 5th Generation bless us with this? No. Probably not.

mimefan

Banned
Surely start with Ninjask, use protect a couple of times, use baton pass and switch in to either an ice type, or a dragon type and with the added speed, Bob's your uncle.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ That will not work very well. Protecting a couple of times is not viable... You could Protect, then Sub, though. But Chompy will probably kill whatever comes in from the Baton Pass, before it has a chance to kill him.

mimefan

Banned
^ Oh, OK.
10msgsaislul.

Dark Destiny

Battle Noob
^ That will not work very well. Protecting a couple of times is not viable... You could Protect, then Sub, though. But Chompy will probably kill whatever comes in from the Baton Pass, before it has a chance to kill him.

Like he said, he could probably predict and Swords Dance up.
+6 Swords Dance will KO pretty much anything on the switch provided sub is gone from Ninjask.
Remember Ninjask will gain you Spe and possible Atk from SD + Speed boost but not + Def, so you'll get owned unless you Baton Pass behind a sub.

Sceptre

Back in the game now
Ditto @ Choice Scarf

Transform
Outrage

Done.

- Guessing this won't work on a Chomp with his Atk raised though as Ditto could only take one hit with max HP/Def EVs.

I know how Transform works. Before Transform Ditto will have its current stats and EVs etc, after it mimics Chomp's stats and EVs etc besides HP so with a scarf it will outrun it and Outrage for the KO.

Bit crazy but it could work. =P

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ Garchomp will OHKO with an Outrage of its own while you transform.
Damage Calc; 149.2% - 176% from Unboosted Life Orb Outrage coming off Jolly Chomp, which is what most SDChomp run. And that is with Garchomp's high base HP. Ditto will get obliterated. Even the Dragon Claw varients will deal 99.4% - 117.3% to a Garchomp, so Ditto is dead.
Even if Ditto doesn't outspeed Chompy when Transforming, LO Outrage does 103% - 121.3%, so it's an OHKO anyway. Even if you run a +Def nature, it's still 94% - 111% damage so it's to risky to really work.

Last edited: