• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Possible to beat game with only three Pokemon?

epicninjask123

LoL Lunatic
Well, basically, what I'm trying to do is make it through the game and past the elite 4/champion while only using three pokemon throughout the course of the game. The Pokemon I have chosen for this [dirty] job are Charizard (the starter), Raichu (mainly to kill Blastoise and the second gym leader), and Lapras (to beat Lance). Since those three jobs are what I consider to be the most important, I will continue with my plan. This is NOT a nuzlocke challenge, which more or less states that I will save before any (and all) boss fights and hope for some luck, and that I will revive them if something goes horribly, horribly wrong.

So, I want to know now. I'm currently in Cerulean City about to face the rival for the third time and the second gym leader. Is this possible? So far so good, but I want to make an investment in the Serebii community. Should I keep going? If I need to add a fourth Pokemon, who should it be? And has anyone else tried something similar to this and succeeded? Please answer these for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated (Mainly suggestions about the Lapras. Since everyone knows I will be getting it later in the game, it puts be at a couple of disadvantages.)

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
It's different and unique and it will have more challenges which will be more fun. You have also chosen good Pokemon and I think you should carry on.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I think it's easier to beat the games with less pokemon instead of more, theirs a lot less level grinding involved (though I'm only trying to do this with 5 pokemon, not 3, but then again I refuse to use any healing items for added challenge)

Jinvaani

I dare say that you could probably beat the game with a team of magikarps, providing that you PP stall every opponent you face. And if you had infinite potions and revives. And even then it would take you 4 years to beat the elite four.

Larry

I think it's easier to beat the games with less pokemon instead of more

I second this. The game will go quicker and you're Pokemon will be higher levels. The only difficult part might be training Lapras to have it catch up with your other two once you get.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Lots of people have beaten the game with ONE Pokemon, so beating it with three is no problem.

I dare say that you could probably beat the game with a team of magikarps, providing that you PP stall every opponent you face. And if you had infinite potions and revives. And even then it would take you 4 years to beat the elite four.

Well, this guy on Youtube did that with *one* Magikarp. :p

And if you look around Youtube, you can find a whole bunch of [INSERT WEAK POKEMON HERE] only runs.

abrar14

Statter Master
I usually use 4 pokemon. Its quicker to train up and you can use the other two slots for hm slaves.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I played Red with 6 but then when i first played LG, i got stuck with 5 coz Mew cant be caught using the FLY/Lavender/Lv 7 thingy :c
So 5 is the farthest i had xD might restart for 3 someday if i can do it :p nya~

Aura Sensei™

User Title
I used two (Charizard,Pidgeot) once and I beat most of the game so yes it is possible.

Kalosian

So long
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. If you just level grind enough (which will be easier as you only have three to train) and make sure that they have a good synergy (which it seems like you will), it should be possible to do. You could switch out Raichu for a Grass type to get the FWG core, but it is probably not necessary, and there aren't that many good Grass types in Kanto anyway.

Jinvaani

Lots of people have beaten the game with ONE Pokemon, so beating it with three is no problem.

And if you look around Youtube, you can find a whole bunch of [INSERT WEAK POKEMON HERE] only runs.

Hehe, that is quite clever, but it's like watching paint dry, I'd get bored after the first 10 minutes.
;235; ;235; ;235;

Mudkip8003

I did it with just a Bulbasaur, Pidgey and Rattata at their base forms. You had to really grind and diversify their moves.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
It's a little bit difficult but very Possible, the less members on the team equals the less grinding and frustration you can also make use of Raichu greatly postgame.

Totokip

Black Triangle
Completely possible, I did it with blastoise, raichu and graveler. And they do get really higher level, mine were at level 65 against the champion/rival with no grinding at all

Aura Sensei™

User Title

Lol,I haven't seen that video,but I bet it's true.

XanderJayNix

GBA Veteran, DS Newb
I actually have 3 GBAs, and one each of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.
A long time ago, when I first got Emerald, I started a new game with Sapphire 3 times and sent one of each starter to my new Emerald game.

So basically, I had all three starters traded into my game, and by the time I beat the elite 4, i only had 10 Pokedex entries: The starters, their evolutions, and Zigzagoon (He's who I used to trade for the starters from my other cartrige)

So I don't know about your specific team on LeafGreen, But It should be possible. It was in my case with emerald

My only concern is tha t2/3 of your team are weak against electric types.
I'd suggest Adding a ground type to balance it out better.

Larry

My only concern is tha t2/3 of your team are weak against electric types.
I'd suggest Adding a ground type to balance it out better.

The only time he'd really run into electric is against Lt. Surge. By then he should have a Charmeleon and can teach it Dig.