• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Posts Do not count toward post count.

ScytheSwipe

Its whats for dinner
I've heard several of you say that post count does not matter; however, alot of users do like to rank up. The main purpose for this thread is because I want to hear discussion and I also want mod/admin answers.

What qualifies you to change or move a thread to polls? There have been several good discussion topics that once moved to polls were doomed to die. I can understand when you move "What music are you listening to?" or "What pokemon do you think is the best" threads to polls, but why are more and more areas not counting to post count?

What happens when users who have the majority of their posts have the thread moved to polls? I've heard that all of those posts are deducted from their total post count. If this is true then do you need that many more posts to get to the next rank? (because I'm pretty sure that you retain the rank despite the post deduction) Lastly, how do fellow users feel about this? Do you find it frustrating or are you indifferent. Comments, further questions, and answers are all greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Mevejuma

I've heard several of you say that post count does not matter; however, alot of users do like to rank up. The main purpose for this thread is because I want to hear discussion and I also want mod/admin answers.

What qualifies you to change or move a thread to polls? There have been several good discussion topics that once moved to polls were doomed to die. I can understand when you move "What music are you listening to?" or "What pokemon do you think is the best" threads to polls, but why are more and more areas not counting to post count?

What happens when users who have the majority of their posts have the thread moved to polls? I've heard that all of those posts are deducted from their total post count. If this is true then do you need that many more posts to get to the next rank? (because I'm pretty sure that you retain the rank despite the post deduction) Lastly, how do fellow users feel about this? Do you find it frustrating or are you indifferent. Comments, further questions, and answers are all greatly appreciated and encouraged.

You only retain the rank until you post again, then it becomes the appropriate rank for your post count again. I'll be honest as well, I usually stay clear of the Polls sections where posts don't count. I like to rank up, so I feel like I'd be wasting my time reading through some of it, but also the discussion in those sections isn't as good.

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
I post when and where I want to regardless of whether my post count will go up or not. While I do like seeing how many posts I've made, I'm not going to avoid a very interesting discussion simply because the posts won't count toward my total.

TehLulzMastur

I don't like post count at all. Sure, it gives you motivation to speak up at times, but I just feel that some of the higher-up users like to act smug, mostly because of their post count. I'm not naming any names, but you know who they are.

There are also (probably many) people here that would spam the **** out of threads just to get their post count up if subforums like Polls counted towards PC.

Stuff is moved to Polls if its just a question and people answer with basically a sentence or so on stuff no one wants to read lol. Or at least, as far as I know, no one willingly sits and reads through pages and pages of what people's favorite items are.

In general though, once you get past the "0" of being a brand new member, post count doesnt matter. The ranks are just a cute little thing to enjoy as you spend more time here, but members sometimes go nuts over it .

Wardek

U & I
I do care about my post count, while at the same time i don't. I want to see every kind of ranking, the black and white ones aren't posted yet, but they exist. And i also won't bother not posting in places that post count doesn't count.
Edit: I also hate my bug rank, so that's why i want a better rank. >__>
Edit2: Also, i care about the Post Count because lot of peoples will respect you if you have a high post count.

Tom the slowbro

I don't know, I really don't know what to think about threads being moved into no-post count areas, but really when I spend time on a forum I don't worry about my post count much. If a user is helpful and posts a lot, I think their post count will go up, even if some posts get moved into no-post count areas.

(Feel free to look at my post count lol. I haven't yet posted in a place that ups post count so my opinion isn't and shouldn't be very important :) But in my short time here this seems like a great place.)

Edit2: Also, i care about the Post Count because lot of peoples will respect you if you have a high post count.

Not necassarily true in all cases. Trading forums, for example, do not add to your post count. If you trade a lot and have a good reputation for trading, then traders will respect you.
In my opinion, people shouldn't respect you just because you have a high post count (that's really just a number), they should respect you for who you are.

Thats the kind of thought process we would rather not see :X

Like the above user mentioned, there are multiple forums where posts do not count that arent just spam piles like Polls or Games. There are also members here that have high post counts that are morons. You get respect from how you act here, not by the PC numbers.

Mutsumi

That Volcarona Gal
Post count is merely a way to gauge how much of their life a person has wasted on a particular internet forum. Having certain forum sections not contribute towards post counts accomplishes nothing really. Better to just hide post counts altogether.

Wardek

U & I
Thats the kind of thought process we would rather not see :X

It's sad but true, there are some people who does that. D;

Not necassarily true in all cases. Trading forums, for example, do not add to your post count. If you trade a lot and have a good reputation for trading, then traders will respect you.
In my opinion, people shouldn't respect you just because you have a high post count (that's really just a number), they should respect you for who you are.

I agree with your trade part, and the last part...

Poke'Dude

Poke'Expert
I find that many users seem to use post-count as a means of seeming "Better" or "Smarter" Than their fellow users.
I also find that stupid. I "Officially" made an account with Serebii in September 2009, but have followed the forums here for a year before that. My post-count is in the 40's and yet because of my "rank" people refute my intelligence on the subject spoken of.
Just because my post-count is low, does not mean I am less of a human being! I thank you for your time... =)

*Edit* Also, perhaps the reason my post-count is low is because I only speak when I need to instead of having an opinion of every single subject under the sun. (You know what I mean) Or only speak when I want to (That could be it too)

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
The only one I don't get is Other Pokemon Game discussion. Why don't those posts count? Is discussing the spin-off games less valid discussion than then main series games?

Wardek

U & I
Also, if your too young your less likely to be respected unless you have a very high post count. >__>"

Mister_SGG

First of all... is this thread about Posts that don't count or Why threads get moved?

I like ranking up, so I don't usually post in threads that don't give me posts, because I find it a waste of time. I used to be all over the Games section, but as I started to want a higher postcount so I would get more respect around here, I stopped, and started posting a lot in GPD and BWD.

The only one I don't get is Other Pokemon Game discussion. Why don't those posts count? Is discussing the spin-off games less valid discussion than then main series games?

^This.

I don't even care about my post count at all.

Mutsumi

That Volcarona Gal
First of all... is this thread about Posts that don't count or Why threads get moved?

I like ranking up, so I don't usually post in threads that don't give me posts, because I find it a waste of time. I used to be all over the Games section, but as I started to want a higher postcount so I would get more respect around here, I stopped, and started posting a lot in GPD and BWD.

^This.

Respect on an internet forum is an illusion, especially for someone such as yourself, who believes it is gained through a higher post count. If you want respect, you act respectably. Not using a different font and size in your posts would be a good start, as you have no sensible reason to do so.

CJ0114

The Electric Trainer
Post counts doesn't matter that much to me. I typically respond to threads when I can. I imagine post counts are included as a form of generating responses from forum members.

ScytheSwipe

Its whats for dinner
You only retain the rank until you post again, then it becomes the appropriate rank for your post count again. I'll be honest as well, I usually stay clear of the Polls sections where posts don't count. I like to rank up, so I feel like I'd be wasting my time reading through some of it, but also the discussion in those sections isn't as good.

Ah, I see. This is news to me. Kinda aggravating if 90% of your total of 3k posts came from a thread that gets moved to polls ex) Zibdas in Mics. i think thats his name

I post when and where I want to regardless of whether my post count will go up or not. While I do like seeing how many posts I've made, I'm not going to avoid a very interesting discussion simply because the posts won't count toward my total.

I like your approach I believe I associate with this one the most. Hence the thread.

I don't like post count at all. Sure, it gives you motivation to speak up at times, but I just feel that some of the higher-up users like to act smug, mostly because of their post count. I'm not naming any names, but you know who they are.

Interesting point. I agree with you whole-heartedly there. It is rather unfortunate that this is how the cookie crumbles here at the forums.

There are also (probably many) people here that would spam the **** out of threads just to get their post count up if subforums like Polls counted towards PC.

Stuff is moved to Polls if its just a question and people answer with basically a sentence or so on stuff no one wants to read lol. Or at least, as far as I know, no one willingly sits and reads through pages and pages of what people's favorite items are.

In general though, once you get past the "0" of being a brand new member, post count doesnt matter. The ranks are just a cute little thing to enjoy as you spend more time here, but members sometimes go nuts over it .

Thank you for weighing in... I was hoping to see a part of the staff on here. I believe that criteria is rather sound; however, there have been several worthy threads in the recent past that never really got a chance to bloom before they were cast into polls. I just find it rather unfortunate that one (or two) "bad eggs", if you will, can spoil the bunch. Seeing that there are those users that post merely for a plus one while really not spatting anything else worthwhile.

Yes, I wonder the same thing myself... maybe a staff member can weigh in on this as well.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I'm really not that bothered about post count. When I first started on SPPf, back when I was twelve, yes I cared. I wanted to have the cool user ranks and stuff but as I aged and whatever I started to care less. If I see a thread I like I will post in it regardless of whether I get post count or not.

Post counts don't really matter because I have over 2,500 but I can bet barely any of you have ever seen me before :p