• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Potential New Mega Evolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Evolution seems to be the forgetton child in Pokemon atm. It started out with so much promise and it seems the guys at game freak forgot about it as they handled it pretty poorly. Z-moves were created and that was that.

IMO Z-moves aren't very creative or interesting and the only thing they can do with them now is introducing Pokemon exclusive Z-moves. But with Megas Pokemon that were unusable could actually find relevance again, for example Mega Dunsparce or Mega Corsola, both Pokemon have no competitive use but could be more interesting if they got Megas. No more Parental bond and no more Mega Rayqayza, Mega mewtwo or mega Garchomp/Slamance! Give them to the Pokemon that deserved a second chance!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The fact that Mega Evolution did not appear in Sun and Moon makes it pretty clear that, at least for now, it was meant to be a Gen VI gimmick. There'd be no reason for them to suddenly change that way of thinking in the middle of a generation. The earliest you can realistically hope for new Mega Evolutions would be Gen VIII, but even that doesn't seem the most likely thing.

ShadowForce720

The fact that Mega Evolution did not appear in Sun and Moon makes it pretty clear that, at least for now, it was meant to be a Gen VI gimmick. There'd be no reason for them to suddenly change that way of thinking in the middle of a generation. The earliest you can realistically hope for new Mega Evolutions would be Gen VIII, but even that doesn't seem the most likely thing.

What are you talking about, just pointing this out but Mega Evolution was in Sun and Moon, as it was in the Post game. Also as for why it there was no new mega evolutions in Sun and Moon it was more then likely just because they wanted to focus on Alolan Forms and Z-moves for the games so that they have their time to shine, but there is no reason why they couldn't introduce New Mega evolutions in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Now while it's not guaranteed that they would introduce new Mega evolutions in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon it is still possible that they could. Either way I doubt that Mega evolution is only a gen VI gimmick because no matter how you look at it adding new mega evolution does help sell the games.

So even if say we don't get any new mega evolutions in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and in the first gen 8 games, it wouldn't be that surprising if the D&P remakes wind up introducing new mega evolutions.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What are you talking about, just pointing this out but Mega Evolution was in Sun and Moon, as it was in the Post game. Also as for why it there was no new mega evolutions in Sun and Moon it was more then likely just because they wanted to focus on Alolan Forms and Z-moves for the games so that they have their time to shine, but there is no reason why they couldn't introduce New Mega evolutions in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Now while it's not guaranteed that they would introduce new Mega evolutions in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon it is still possible that they could. Either way I doubt that Mega evolution is only a gen VI gimmick because no matter how you look at it adding new mega evolution does help sell the games.

So even if say we don't get any new mega evolutions in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and in the first gen 8 games, it wouldn't be that surprising if the D&P remakes wind up introducing new mega evolutions.

I meant new news ones, as that's what this thread was created to discuss. If your statement about Mega Evolution selling games was true, don't you think they would have made new ones for Sun and Moon? Besides, just as they focused on Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, don't you think they would still focus on Regional Variants and Z-Moves for the remainder of Gen VII?

And since you brought up Sinnoh remakes, it's worth noting that we probably won't be getting those this generation. We've been promised a Pokémon game on the Switch in the near future, and it will almost certainly be a new generation, leaving no time for Sinnoh remakes, so that really doesn't mean anything for this discussion anyways.

ShadowForce720

I meant new news ones, as that's what this thread was created to discuss. If your statement about Mega Evolution selling games was true, don't you think they would have made new ones for Sun and Moon? Besides, just as they focused on Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, don't you think they would still focus on Regional Variants and Z-Moves for the remainder of Gen VII?

And since you brought up Sinnoh remakes, it's worth noting that we probably won't be getting those this generation. We've been promised a Pokémon game on the Switch in the near future, and it will almost certainly be a new generation, leaving no time for Sinnoh remakes, so that really doesn't mean anything for this discussion anyways.

Not necessarily as Sun and Moon were the first games to introduce Alolan forms and Z-moves so they would to give those a chance, however to your point focusing on Mega Evolution in ORAS it's important to note that while it did introduce New Megas that didn't prevent it from also introducing Primal Reversion. Plus it's not like 5th gen introduce anything that was really similar to Mega evolution for there to be anything besides Mega evolutions and Primal reversion, where as now with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon along with introducing new Alolan forms and new signature Z-moves could easily introduce some new mega evolutions.

Tuoko

A list of Megas I'd like to see are...

1) Butterfree
2-4) Meganium/Typhlosion/Feraligatr or Decidueye/Incineroar/Primarina (I doubt they'll give two sets of starters Megas in one game)
5) Slowking
6-7) Lugia and Ho-Oh
8) Flygon
9) Milotic
10) Froslass
11) Zoroark
12) Hawlucha
13-14?) Midday and Midnight Lycanroc (we haven't really gotten a Pokemon with different forms that can Mega Evolve, so I'm curious how they'd handle it)
15) Salazzle
16) Mimikyu (if they were to make its cloth-less appearance a form, then a Mega Evolution would make more sense)

I'm moreso expecting Lugia and Ho-Oh to get their own Z-Moves, honestly. Same for the Johto starters, but I could see the Alolan starters getting Megas to make them more "exciting".

The earliest you can realistically hope for new Mega Evolutions would be Gen VIII, but even that doesn't seem the most likely thing.

Considering they might want to promote something (powered-up abilities for example) in Gen 8, then I doubt Mega Evolution would have some focus in the beginning of it.

It makes sense to give it focus in games that aren't a new Gen, which is what USUM falls under.

Also as for why it there was no new mega evolutions in Sun and Moon it was more then likely just because they wanted to focus on Alolan Forms and Z-moves for the games so that they have their time to shine, but there is no reason why they couldn't introduce New Mega evolutions in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

They've already stated that they didn't want Mega Evolution to overshadow Z-Moves.

ShadowForce720

A list of Megas I'd like to see are...

1) Butterfree
2-4) Meganium/Typhlosion/Feraligatr or Decidueye/Incineroar/Primarina (I doubt they'll give two sets of starters Megas in one game)
5) Slowking
6-7) Lugia and Ho-Oh
8) Flygon
9) Milotic
10) Froslass
11) Zoroark
12) Hawlucha
13-14?) Midday and Midnight Lycanroc (we haven't really gotten a Pokemon with different forms that can Mega Evolve, so I'm curious how they'd handle it)
15) Salazzle
16) Mimikyu (if they were to make its cloth-less appearance a form, then a Mega Evolution would make more sense)

I'm moreso expecting Lugia and Ho-Oh to get their own Z-Moves, honestly. Same for the Johto starters, but I could see the Alolan starters getting Megas to make them more "exciting".

Considering they might want to promote something (powered-up abilities for example) in Gen 8, then I doubt Mega Evolution would have some focus in the beginning of it.

It makes sense to give it focus in games that aren't a new Gen, which is what USUM falls under.

They've already stated that they didn't want Mega Evolution to overshadow Z-Moves.

Again that was because Sun and Moon were the first games to introduce Z-moves so they wanted people to try it out, and just because we didn't get new Mega evolutions in Sun and Moon doesn't mean that would stay true for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and future games, so we will just have to wait and see.

Tuoko

Again that was because Sun and Moon were the first games to introduce Z-moves so they wanted people to try it out, and just because we didn't get new Mega evolutions in Sun and Moon doesn't mean that would stay true for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and future games, so we will just have to wait and see.

I wasn't arguing against you, thougj. I was just bringing up that they actually stated that before or after Sun/Moon released, I can't remember which. Aside from that, they've already said they're open for more Megas or something along those lines.

Since USUM aren't a new generation, I can see us getting some, but I'd expect it to be a handful.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I honestly do not believe we'll see new Mega Evolutions for some time, and it simply makes sense - they introduced two sets of games with new Megas, and it would make no less sense to have two sets of games (and therefore USUM) on just Z-Moves, especially since there are far less Z moves right now than there are Mega Evolutions. Additionally, we kind of already have a form-based "gimmick" in this generation with Alolan forms, which in many ways take up the creative space that Megas could otherwise occupy. There's every reason to expect them to expand on the number of Alolan Pokemon instead, especially given the introduction of Johto VC this year.

It is, however, a mechanic that I'm pretty certain will see a return at some point not too far off, perhaps next generation - it's one of the easier ways to simultaneously justify adding an evolution to a 3 stage line when an employee introduces a good design, and to give new power and relevance to Pokemon that have faded in popularity due to power creep.

If we were to get more Mega Evolutions this generation, then there are two things I might like to see. The first is some brand new Megas for underused but popular, well-designed 'mons; these would include classics like Flygon, Dragonite, and others; personal favorites like Kingdra; and logical choices like the Johto starters. On the flip side, wouldn't it be interesting to introduce Mega Evolution to some of the new Alolan forms? The convergence of these concepts could assure fans that neither is being forgotten, and it could inspire some unexpected creativity as well.

I honestly do not believe we'll see new Mega Evolutions for some time, and it simply makes sense - they introduced two sets of games with new Megas, and it would make no less sense to have two sets of games (and therefore USUM) on just Z-Moves, especially since there are far less Z moves right now than there are Mega Evolutions. Additionally, we kind of already have a form-based "gimmick" in this generation with Alolan forms, which in many ways take up the creative space that Megas could otherwise occupy. There's every reason to expect them to expand on the number of Alolan Pokemon instead, especially given the introduction of Johto VC this year.

This is my biggest qualm with Z-moves, they are sooo limited in what they offer as all of them are basically the same with different types. Only thing they can add is Pokemon exclusive z-moves. This doesn't really balance the game that much as a z-move from Dunsparce is still weaker than a z-move from snorlax. Only thing god about them is the animation that occurs (which eventually gets old over time)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm not going to say it's impossible that we'll get new Mega Evolutions, I just don't think it's a realistic expectation by any means. There are three possible models for releasing something like Mega Evolutions. First is that every game introduces new ones. Second is they are only introduced in specific generations, possibly only for Gen VI. Third is they just release them at random as they feel like it. Sure, the third one could happen, but it just doesn't seem likely by any means. Game Freak tends to work on a generation by generation basis, and the lack of Mega Evolution in Sun and Moon does not make the prospect look good for them in Ultra Sun and Moon. Sure, it's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.

however to your point focusing on Mega Evolution in ORAS it's important to note that while it did introduce New Megas that didn't prevent it from also introducing Primal Reversion.

Which is irrelevant, as Primal Reversion is essentially just Mega Evolution by a different name. They were made specifically to play off of the concept of Mega Evolution, and would not exist without it.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
they screwed themselves with Mega Evolutions from the outset

the one-Mega-limit means that many of the Megas aren't worth using because their opportunity cost is using any Mega that might be better; they gave Megas to Pokemon that were already good and made them better and they gave Megas to crapmons that buffed them to the point of absurdity, and any Megas that don't fall into one of those categories have a hard time justifying their presence on a team

I expect either massive power creep or a slew of retcons and mechanical rejiggering within a few generations

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

the one-Mega-limit means that many of the Megas aren't worth using because their opportunity cost is using any Mega that might be better; they gave Megas to Pokemon that were already good and made them better and they gave Megas to crapmons that buffed them to the point of absurdity, and any Megas that don't fall into one of those categories have a hard time justifying their presence on a team

I expect either massive power creep or a slew of retcons and mechanical rejiggering within a few generations

Or you could just use the Mega Evolution that's your favorite. Not everything has to take competitive balance into consideration.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Or you could just use the Mega Evolution that's your favorite. Not everything has to take competitive balance into consideration.

of the things that should take competitive balance into consideration, I would hope that a major mechanic designed for the competitive multiplayer feature in a series where that is increasingly the focus with officially sponsored tournaments would be one of them

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
of the things that should take competitive balance into consideration, I would hope that a major mechanic designed for the competitive multiplayer feature in a series where that is increasingly the focus with officially sponsored tournaments would be one of them

My point is, just because you think certain Mega Pokémon are worthless due to being outclassed by others, doesn't mean that no one uses them and their existence is rendered pointless.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
My point is, just because you think certain Mega Pokémon are worthless due to being outclassed by others, doesn't mean that no one uses them and their existence is rendered pointless.

is there anything in Pokemon where the "well SOMEONE likes it therefore it's perfect" argument can't apply?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
is there anything in Pokemon where the "well SOMEONE likes it therefore it's perfect" argument can't apply?

I never said it was perfect, I'm just saying it's not pointless. There is a difference, after all.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion

I do want to latch onto this bit of speculation briefly.

While I disagree with a lot of people in that I don't believe that we've experienced as much power creep as some people think, especially with 7th Gen species being kind of inferior in general in statistics, I think the concept is central to the introduction of new Mega Evolutions.

They're not going to introduce a bunch of Megas for already-very-useful species, so for there to be any introduction of new ones, we need to have a solid selection of weakened species with the design or popularity to justify the effort of designing these Megas.

That's what I was on about. They gave megas to Pokemon that didn't need it like pseudos and legendaries plus some abilities were way to outrageous (I'm looking ar you mega Kangashkan). They need to give it Pokemon that need it like Flygon, who has no real competitive use.

Status
Not open for further replies.