• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Potential New Mega Evolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Nope. The tiny tourney also had them banned and that wasn't just Alola Dex.

I don't know off the top of my head what's eligible for that competition with a Mega, though my guess is it's like three Pokemon and it's a balance/not enough legal Stones thing

You're missing my point. They don't introduce mega evolutions as a means to balance the game. They introduce mega evolutions for marketing, and then after designing them try to figure out stats and ability and stuff that keeps them somewhat balanced. Of course the game isn't balanced, it has over 800 pokémon and that's pretty much impossible to balance, let alone for different kinds of formats (4v4 doubles, 6v6 doubles, 3v3 singles, 6v6 singles, and so on). My point is that they're not going to go through the trouble of making freaking Corsola mega evolve because nobody cares about Corsola.

I'm not advocating to Mega Evolve Corsola

I'm advocating for the existing Megas to be less gamebreaking

yeah, I know there's a lot of Pokemon, and I don't expect all of them to feasible to use, but I expect diverse teambuilding to not be actively hindered by obviously unbalanced mechanics, and try as they may to keep them somewhat balanced, their hands are kind of tied based on the nature of the mechanic

And by letting already very powerful pokémon mega evolve you create a big power creep, which has the main problem that everything else gets lagged behind. Mega evolution overall has primarily been more detrimental to balance rather than boosting it in my opinion, especially Salamence and Lucario.

this is what my concern here is; I'm glad you agree

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Here's my current list of Megas I want to see happen:

Golduck
Electrode
Meganium
Typhlosion
Feraligatr
Xatu
Sudowoodo
Forretress
Magcargo
Kingdra
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Masquerain
Lunatone
Solrock
Relicanth
Floatzel
Rhyperior
Tangrowth
Cofagrigus
Sigilyph
Beheeyem
Golurk
Hydreigon
Aromatisse
Slurpuff
Heliolisk
Goodra
Noivern

Evanibble

I'd like to see the sinnoh starters get mega evolutions, but I guess we'll probably have to wait for DP remakes to get those and other sinnoh mega evolutions (like luxray or floatzel).

Otherwise, maybe mega evolutions for pokemon like mimkyu or the starters. To be honest I can't see many of the alola pokemon getting a mega evolution.

Aetius

I doubt we will seee new Megaevos in US & UM...
I say this certainly not because I don't want them, I'd be ecstatic to see more of them added after all, but since Z-moves are the main focus of this gen, I really can't see them making two very important features collide...
I think the current situation is fine honestly.
I believe that starting from the next generation (or possible DP remakes), megaevos will restart appearing!

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Would it be possible for the alola forms to get mega evolutions too?

While I think it could be great (come on even taller Exeggutor), I personally wouldn't count on it. Just seems like it would be a wasted effort when they technically do the same job, giving a new appearance and sometimes typing, just minus the reliance on an item.

Or not, and we end up getting them down the line, I know nothing of game development.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I think that a Pokemon with a Regional Variant will no longer have a Mega Evolution, and vice-versa.
While a Regional Variant may have another variant of a different region.

JLK2707

Also, which is better out of mega evolution and z moves? Surely Game Freak can give Alola forms to the Kanto starter final evolutions if they wanted to.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Also, which is better out of mega evolution and z moves? Surely Game Freak can give Alola forms to the Kanto starter final evolutions if they wanted to.

Entirely subjective. Some think Megas are better, others think Z moves are better. And while yes, it is certainly possible for Gamefreak to make Alola forms to the Kanto starters, I can't see them doing it. They already have Megas, and an Alolan form Mega evoloving into the current Megas for them wouldn't make much sense in my opinion. Personally though, I don't want to see more Kanto starter pandering, especially Charizard.

While I'm not too fond of Mega Evolution, there are a few Pokémon I'd love to see get Megas, namely Flygon, Weavile, Froslass, Hydreigon and the rest of the starters except Greninja (Already has a special form similar to Mega Evolution, doesn't need a Mega or more special treatment). But as much as I would like to see these, I just can't see it happening. Z moves and Alola variants are this gen's focus, and since there were no new Megas and they were put on the sideline in Sun/Moon, I find it highly unlikely USUM will introduce more.

I also think any Pokémon with an Alola variant or an alternate form won't get a Mega. It would start to get confusing with which form can Mega, as I doubt they would go to the same Mega and I don't think it would make much sense. Say something like Lycanroc got a mega. Would it really make sense for both Midday and Midnight to have the same Mega? I don't think so, but some others probably have different thoughts.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Entirely subjective. Some think Megas are better, others think Z moves are better.

Megas are technically better due to the base stat boost for the entirety of the match/until the Pokemon faints. Z-Moves are a lot less reliable and can be a waste of an item slot. Some people use them as a way to deal a large chunk of damage/KO a Pokemon, while the majority tend to use them with status moves for stat boost.(see Porygon-Z with Conversion) However since there's a limited amount of Megas to use while any Pokemon can utilize a Z-Move, that's where it gets a little difficult to really tell which is better, but if you aren't looking at the amount that can actually take advantage of the mechanic, then Megas are definitely better. Except for Mega Garchomp

Also I just want to see Johto starters get Megas this time around. Poor critters have been left out for long enough.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
It depends on what you're looking for, in terms of flexibility Z-Moves are better since you don't need to pick from a handful of Pokémon to get the benefits like you would Mega Evolution. You could use your Kommo-o, Hydreigon, Garchomp or the like for one particular Z-Move whereas you're stuck with only the latter for Mega Evolution. In terms of raw power, Mega Evolution is probably better since some of the options it gives are ridiculously strong and can be centralizing, whereas you only get one strong move out of a Z-Crystal.

xenlock

All this talk about Mega Corsola had me imagining what it would look like if it did get one. Those corals grow so big it has become taller than its normal size.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I think the true name of this thread should be "Potential New Z-moves" since Mega Evolution was GenVI's gimmick like Z-moves are for GenVII. I don't think people will be thinking about new Z-moves during GenVIII.

Akashin

I think the true name of this thread should be "Potential New Z-moves" since Mega Evolution was GenVI's gimmick like Z-moves are for GenVII. I don't think people will be thinking about new Z-moves during GenVIII.

And yet in spite of that, this thread is about hopes for new Mega Evolutions in spite of the unlikelihood of it happening. Z-Moves are relatively more pointless to speculate about by nature, short of guessing who might get new exclusive ones (as Mimikyu and Lycanroc evidently might be).

M.P.

Retired
Doubt there'll be any new Megas in USUM, but I'd really like to see Arbok, Qwilfish, Seviper, Zangoose, Magnezone and Krookodile get Megas.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
As much as I want to see new Megas I doubt we'll be getting any. I've lost hope of us getting new ones after how SM didn't give us any, locked all the old ones to the postgame, locked half the stones behind events and continually ban them from all online competitions. I'd love for Flygon to finally get one but I sadly just don't see it happening.

I hope Mega Stones are at least available before the postgame in USUM as I plan on taking a Sceptile on my team and would love to be able to mega evolve it.

Akashin

As much as I want to see new Megas I doubt we'll be getting any. I've lost hope of us getting new ones after how SM didn't give us any, locked all the old ones to the postgame, locked half the stones behind events and continually ban them from all online competitions. I'd love for Flygon to finally get one but I sadly just don't see it happening.

I hope Mega Stones are at least available before the postgame in USUM as I plan on taking a Sceptile on my team and would love to be able to mega evolve it.

They weren't going to introduce new Megas at the start of the Generation and overshadow their new Pokemon and features (Z-Moves, as the case is) anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath on new Megas regardless, but that's a rather silly reason not to expect it.

And while they did shove the Mega Stones into the Battle Tree (which is, inconvenience aside, a pretty good place for them), they also took the time to fix Mega Alakazam, change up how speed changes work on the turn you Mega Evolve, and even give special Dex entries to Mega Pokemon. They were hardly an afterthought.

Status
Not open for further replies.